Government wants to discontinue my current assistance what should I do?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So 4 years ago, social security investigated my SSI case like they have done every 4 years since my benefits started in 2011. They determined that I qualified as being disabled but apparently, "just barely" and they stated in the letter that in Jan of 2023 they're going to discontinue my SSI and I've been worried about it ever since. I do not know my rights and i cannot afford a lawyer. Because, as many people on these boards know I have a life long mental illness that has no cure nor will they probably ever find a cure. I should qualify for lifelong SSI since my disability is permanent and lifelong. I cannot hold a job and take months off of work because of a manic and/or psychotic episode. Some episodes can last for a year and I cannot hold coworkers at risk or in a potentially dangerous situation if I don't know what's going on and I attack somebody.

My wife and I completely live off of government assistance and I don't know how we would be able to survive without it. My wife is not disabled but she doesn't work because of religious reasons. I shouldn't have to make her abandon her religious beliefs just because the government doesn't want to help me anymore. I don't know what to do or what rights I have and Janurary is edging ever closer. I'm wondering if someone else on the forums is disabled and going through this. I just... have no idea, I really don't.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Post a thread on the Prayer Wall and be hopeful and expectant. I think God is transitioning many people into a new way of life right now, including Yours Truly.

You're right. Around the same time I got the letter New York state released a law that said that people receiving food stamp benefits that were not disabled had to work. Then covid hit and they stopped calling my wife trying to force her to work. Just recently New York changed the law and they told my wife she could continue receiving benefits without working. But you can tell who released that BS law. If women are married to somebody disabled they should have a religious right to not work. But then again it's legal to abort a fully grown fetus in this state so nothing surprises me how ungodly it really is here.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So 4 years ago, social security investigated my SSI case like they have done every 4 years since my benefits started in 2011. They determined that I qualified as being disabled but apparently, "just barely" and they stated in the letter that in Jan of 2023 they're going to discontinue my SSI and I've been worried about it ever since. I do not know my rights and i cannot afford a lawyer. Because, as many people on these boards know I have a life long mental illness that has no cure nor will they probably ever find a cure. I should qualify for lifelong SSI since my disability is permanent and lifelong. I cannot hold a job and take months off of work because of a manic and/or psychotic episode. Some episodes can last for a year and I cannot hold coworkers at risk or in a potentially dangerous situation if I don't know what's going on and I attack somebody.

My wife and I completely live off of government assistance and I don't know how we would be able to survive without it. My wife is not disabled but she doesn't work because of religious reasons. I shouldn't have to make her abandon her religious beliefs just because the government doesn't want to help me anymore. I don't know what to do or what rights I have and Janurary is edging ever closer. I'm wondering if someone else on the forums is disabled and going through this. I just... have no idea, I really don't.
You said, "They determined that I qualified as being disabled but apparently, "just barely" and they stated in the letter that in Jan of 2023 they're going to discontinue my SSI and I've been worried about it ever since."

So, why the change? "Just barely" sounds "iffy". You should request the reason for the change. Either way, it sounds like you're going to need to find a lawyer who will argue why you should still qualify. You need some legal consultation.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You said, "They determined that I qualified as being disabled but apparently, "just barely" and they stated in the letter that in Jan of 2023 they're going to discontinue my SSI and I've been worried about it ever since."

So, why the change? "Just barely" sounds "iffy". You should request the reason for the change. Either way, it sounds like you're going to need to find a lawyer who will argue why you should still qualify. You need some legal consultation.

It does sound odd. Idk why they even have to check me every 4 years for a permanent disabiliy. Especially when they've checked me almost three times now. Maybe their defense is that i havent been in a mental hospital since 2016? Idk I should call them and ask them how they came to that decision. Ok should my parents pay for the lawyer or could I have one provided for me? This isn't a legal case so I really don't know my rights.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trying to please man is a wasted effort, the only one we can please is God and He owns the gold in every mine and the cattle on a thousand hills. Trust in Him! That what I have to do, I have had one heat attack and two strokes. Today I am a cripple and I struggle to walk. Who else am I going to depend upon? Bring your petition before Him, you are His child and He will answer!

I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. (Psalm 37:25)

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does sound odd. Idk why they even have to check me every 4 years for a permanent disabiliy. Especially when they've checked me almost three times now. Maybe their defense is that i havent been in a mental hospital since 2016? Idk I should call them and ask them how they came to that decision. Ok should my parents pay for the lawyer or could I have one provided for me? This isn't a legal case so I really don't know my rights.
I wouldn't call them and ask them why. Any correspondence should be documented in email or by letter (make copies). You need to get busy as soon as possible, but I would first seek some legal consultation from several different lawyers before deciding what to do. You should be able to get that for free.

If you can't get any help, you should see a medical professional in that field and get some documentation of support that shows you're still a risk. Then you should contact the IRS providing that documentation and protest your grievances over being disqualified without any verifiable evidence that you no longer qualify.

Find a government agency or contact your state representative that also works in an oversight function, and send them the same correspondence you have with the IRS. Write letters and emails expressing your predicament and begging for support, and send them to your representative, and let the IRS know that you have done so. You basically need to show you will make a stink that they won't want to deal with.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't call them and ask them why. Any correspondence should be documented in email or by letter (make copies). You need to get busy as soon as possible, but I would first seek some legal consultation from several different lawyers before deciding what to do. You should be able to get that for free.

If you can't get any help, you should see a medical professional in that field and get some documentation of support that shows you're still a risk. Then you should contact the IRS providing that documentation and protest your grievances over being disqualified without any verifiable evidence that you no longer qualify.

Find a government agency or contact your state representative that also works in an oversight function, and send them the same correspondence you have with the IRS. Write letters and emails expressing your predicament and begging for support, and send them to your representative, and let the IRS know that you have done so. You basically need to show you will make a stink that they won't want to deal with.

Thank you I will get on that immediately. I still have the letter they sent me 4 years ago. I will show it to a lawyer and see what they have to say.

I do see a psychiatrist that can vouch for me but SSI always uses their own psychiatrists so idk how he can help me. I'll call him regardless. But if their psychiatrists are saying I should improve that's false. I haven't been in the hospital for six years but I've had many manic and psychotic episodes since then just because i havent been a harm to myself and others in a while doesnt mean that I couldn't become dangerous in the future. In fact I get episodes several times a year and my psychiatrist is aware of this. He has had me on Latuda for a while now but even with medication I still get episodes. I'll talk to my mom too. I talked to her a year ago and she said don't worry about it until it happens but I'd hate to lose a few months of benefits fighting this. You know?

• Agree
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0