Gov. Bill Lee signs Nathan Bedford Forrest Day proclamation, is not considering law change

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Gov. Bill Lee signs Nathan Bedford Forrest Day proclamation, is not considering law change
Gov. Bill Lee has proclaimed Saturday as Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in Tennessee, a day of observation to honor the former Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader whose bust is on display in the state Capitol.

Per state law, the Tennessee governor is tasked with issuing proclamations for six separate days of special observation, three of which, including the July 13 Forrest Day, pertain to the Confederacy.

Racism lives.

This seldom happens, but I agree with Ted Cruz.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It would seem that the good White People of Tennessee have finally had enough suffering under oppression and being second class citizens and they are fed up and are not having any more of it so they are re-claiming their past heritage and heroes.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ah, so it’s by statute:doh:
Yeah, it looks like the governor's hands are tied by the law on this one, so we can't really blame him. The responsibility is on the legislature now to change the law to prevent future embarrassments... assuming the GOP will allow it to.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yeah, it looks like the governor's hands are tied by the law on this one, so we can't really blame him. The responsibility is on the legislature now to change the law to prevent future embarrassments... assuming the GOP will allow it to.
Are his hands really tied? You may be obligated to sign the proclamation, but you can also advocate for its change. The governor is playing ignorant on this one.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are his hands really tied? You may be obligated to sign the proclamation, but you can also advocate for its change. The governor is playing ignorant on this one.
I wonder what would happen if he just outright refused to sign it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Isn't he basically the Confederate general who had zero military experience....but had a lot of slaves, fought specifically for slavery, spent his military career ignoring military objectives and terrorizing free blacks?

This is one of the few people from history I wouldn't actually argue for a complex or more nuanced view of...he's a product of his time surely, but his character represents everything that was wrong with the south in his day.

I'm curious what the justification for this was.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't he basically the Confederate general who had zero military experience....but had a lot of slaves, fought specifically for slavery, spent his military career ignoring military objectives and terrorizing free blacks?

This is one of the few people from history I wouldn't actually argue for a complex or more nuanced view of...he's a product of his time surely, but his character represents everything that was wrong with the south in his day.

I think that he is required by statute.. the question is why has this not been changed? I believe the democratic governor before him tried to change it but the legislature did not support it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Playing neutral, more likely. Looking to see which way the political wind blows. To be expected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Or, you could just make a proclamation of the actual facts.

Today due to the continued legacy of harsh myopic institutional racism, I proclaim this day to be Nathan Bedford Forest day. To honor of the general who fought to protect peoples rights to reduce some people to property, and later, after helping to cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans in that failed cause, formed the KKK to establish a militant terrorist establishment for the protection of racism and white supremacy.

He and his organization succeeded enough that I still to this day have to proclaim a holiday in his honor as we have not yet learned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

The legislature of Tennessee probably contained more members of the KKK in 1921.

The legislature of Tennessee today doesn't really have an excuse for not changing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Given the foregoing, can you hazard a guess?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Given the foregoing, can you hazard a guess?

Uhh...alright, initially, it seems that as a native of Tennessee NBF seems like he was a continual choice for a law requiring the governor to declare 6 days to the remembrance of the Confederacy.

I'll start by saying that generally speaking, I see nothing wrong with that....as long as it's not celebrating the Confederacy (which seems closer to what is actually being done). If his intention is to not "whitewash history"...then he should include some context to NBF and his memory by talking about what an awful racist he was, how he was less a general and more a warlord....and whatever historians might find to praise about his tactics (he was known for running a small mounted unit and using speed along with hit and run tactics effectively for a neophyte) his objectives were more terrorism than of real value to the war effort. They should talk about his role in the creation of the KKK as well.

Probably better to just remove the law....or rewrite it so that instead of "proclamations" they can make it about the civil war in general.

Upvote 0