3pete333

Aug 20, 2016
Missouri
✟15,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was like, yep. ha. The man thought he was going to surprise me and he was surprised instead. He then proceeded to proclaim every type of church errant and criticize the overall idea of any church thinking "they were the most righteous" in his words.

I really believe he IS a christian but just kinda hard to please. He put down both Southern Baptist and ...uh...some other group right in front of the folks from those churches. I suppose he thinks "he is more righteous" because HE has HIS theology correct and nobody else does....haha. But he's just kinda grouchy anyway you slice it.

Wanted to touch base on this thread as I have been in a Christian Church for 52 years and was baptized at about 8 years old.
Otherwise I like to start conversations with Coffee, Baseball or Dodge Chargers, haha.
pete

3pete333

Aug 20, 2016
Missouri
✟15,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Coffee is always good. Not too keen on Baseball and prefer Mustangs to Chargers.
How ya doing?
I'm fine. I like these new dodge products and drive an 06 300. I even like the flat paint on the Chargers. I'm rooting for our KC Royals to make a run and squeek into the last playoff wildcard, but probably not.
Owned a 65 mustang convertible , actually dad did, but I drove it to high school. But it was such a dog with that little ol straight 6. But it was fun overall. Tell me something about you or what your up too and such.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm semi-retired...currently doing some teaching and consulting. Have an '04 GT that's been "loved" on a wee bit. On the fence about leaving my current ICC community...starting to get tired of the three songs labeled "worship", the never-ending cries for money, and the seemingly stepford-like behavior of most of the congregation.

Reactions: 3pete333
Upvote 0

3pete333

Aug 20, 2016
Missouri
✟15,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm semi-retired...currently doing some teaching and consulting. Have an '04 GT that's been "loved" on a wee bit. On the fence about leaving my current ICC community...starting to get tired of the three songs labeled "worship", the never-ending cries for money, and the seemingly stepford-like behavior of most of the congregation.

The only things I could consult on people just learn for free...LOL.
Idk if ICC is like the Restoration movement churches.
It is unfortunate that you have a church with those problems, I've been there to a degree. During my married years we went to a church with some of that.

Back at my home church which is doing well after maybe jumping the gun many years ago and taking over a small walmart, old walmart building. But it was having 3-4 services per Sunday to get everyone in the old building.

I haven't heard any appeals for money except towards the benevolent fund to help immediate needs that pop up. Our churches are already helping so many folks right now that new needs sometimes can't be met out of the normal budget. but at least we dont hear anything about "building funds" and all.

Apparently some anomymous guy walked in a paid off the last $550,000 a few years ago.

We have adusted things too. Lots of low paid interns with 1-2 years of college working with youth and even adults as in 2008 or so, many churches had to drastically lower salaries.

You have a GT? A young lady employed by my son has a whole family that drives Mustangs. Like all 5 of their cars...they are literally the founders and leaders of the local Mustang club. Her dad bought her a later model Mustang just to keep her from driving a Honda, lol. And they are not rich people.

They have one high dollar GT and may have to sell due to need and the parents relocating for work.

You have a good day and chime in when you can, pete.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is an old thread, but I'm sporadic at best in my participation on this forum.

I'm relatively young (35) and only learned about restoration Christians being called "Campbellites" a few years ago. I also learned that folks used to call members of the churches of Christ, "walking Bibles". Its unfortunate that that description has slipped, I think its time to bring that back!

I like coffee. I used to hate it! Up until I was in my mid 20s when I joined the Air Force. I was working swing shift (4-midnight(ish)) as an aircraft mechanic in England. I needed something warm and life giving on cold British nights on the flightline. I love baseball as a game, but I find it too tedious to follow the sport. I check in on the Braves every few weeks and cheer when I can. I do very much enjoy going to local minor league games, you can't beat the atmosphere of the ballpark!

Upvote 0