✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Greek Language --> Latin --> English

The nameJesus” comes from the Latin Iesus, which comes from an Anglicized form of the Greek name Yesous. What this means is that the Greek name Yesous was altered as it was adopted by the English language.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greek Language --> Latin --> English

The nameJesus” comes from the Latin Iesus, which comes from an Anglicized form of the Greek name Yesous. What this means is that the Greek name Yesous was altered as it was adopted by the English language.
I've often wondered why anyone really wants to make a point of all this.

Anyway one wants to look at it what does the name Jesus mean? It means Savior, or Deliverer. So why try to change everything around in people's minds which troubles the hearts and minds of the saints?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some would say it doesn't matter, and it's not a problem. The name of Jesus, however if you would like to know the name from what it once was, which bobryan has shown us.

The nameJesus” comes from the Latin Iesus, which comes from an Anglicized form of the Greek name Yesous.

My teacher had brought it up today in one of his videos he makes about how, even after speaking to one of his friends they said it didn't matter. For the one, that is my teacher though it was simply just knowing the name and knowing the more authentic name.

Which is Yeshua, which means salvation.

Saint steven, I believe you 100%.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My teacher had brought it up today in one of his videos he makes about how, even after speaking to one of his friends they said it didn't matter. For the one, that is my teacher though it was simply just knowing the name and knowing the more authentic name.

Which is Yeshua, which means salvation.

Saint steven, I believe you 100%.

I fail to see your point. Jesus means Deliverer, and Savior as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeshua or Jesus?
Yeshua/Joshua is the name given to the Son of God which meant Salvation.
Jesus has only been used for 25% of the 2000 years Christianity has been around, so around 400 years.
Why did that happen?
The diminutive of Yehoshua, [Joshua] in the OT is ישׁוע pr. Yeshua.
Both Yehoshua and Yeshua are transliterated Ἰησοῦς pr. Yaysoos in the 225 BC LXX.
Greek does not have a way of representing the "sh" sound. That accounts for the single "σ/s" in the middle of Ἰησοῦς.
In Greek only feminine names have an "a" ending. That is where the final "
ς/s" in Ἰησοῦς. comes from.
When Martin Luther translated the Bible into German he transliterated Ἰησοῦς as "Jesus" pronounced Yaysoos in German.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0