• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Good reason to be an atheist?(moved from Christian Appologetics)

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by juvenissun, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoderHead

CoderHead Knee Dragger

+19
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Except that those leaves go on to shade other, smaller plants that need sunlight to survive, killing them off. And then other plants like ivy and, perhaps even bigger trees, choke out those trees. And if God's hand was guiding the placement of the leaves on these trees, then He'd certainly see to it that they were all watered appropriately. But then you haven't accounted for droughts and desert conditions. Then you have to talk about parasitic insects and grubs that kill massive swaths of vegetation.

Nature is beautiful and awesome, I'll give you that. But it's also chaotic and ugly. I'm not trying to spur a debate, but you have to be able to see that your "putting leaves in the perfect place" argument is based solely in emotion and (possibly purposeful) blindness to the bigger picture - even from casual observation.

2. Mobiosity

Mobiosity American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.

+182
    Methodist
    Private
    Potato potahto

3. PT Calvinist

PT Calvinist Legend

+95
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    A simple question: What potential do you see in a seed?

4. Isambard

Isambard Nihilist Extrodinaire

+179
    Atheist
    Single
    The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy" or "quote mining", is a logical fallacy and type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1]
    Fallacy of quoting out of context - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    mo·ron (môr[​IMG][​IMG]n[​IMG], m[​IMG]r[​IMG]-)
    n. 1. A stupid person; a dolt.

Moron - definition of Moron by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

lol really? Name me one video where Cameron doesn't spew ignorance. I've actually sat threw hours of "arguments", have you?

Rather ironic given that you originally claimed I was comitting an ad hom, and now have shifted to saying I lose credibility for being mean. Me thinks you be projecting^_^.

5. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    A simple question, but not a simple issue.

Potentials may be thought of as implications of powers. The power of a seed is to grow and mature, given beneficial conditions. Its potential is to thrive as whatever sort of plant it is.

eudaimonia,

Mark

6. PT Calvinist

PT Calvinist Legend

+95
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Could then....a seed....Being one....form many? Thus becoming a Forest?

7. Danhalen

Danhalen Healing

+437
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    I know, it's an old OP, but these questions always get my goat.

Desire has nothing to do with being an atheist. I don't want to not believe deities exist. I simply cannot believe deities exist, so I'm an atheist.

Wha...? There's a moral imperative to have a religious belief? That makes no sense to me.

I have one reason for being an atheist: I have no reason to believe deities exist.

8. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Only if it can reproduce.

eudaimonia,

Mark

9. Bushmaster78FS

Bushmaster78FS Senior Contributor

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Only your opinions were reflected by your circular reasoning in that post and what I saw necessary was quoted. So quoting me the Wiki entry doesn't hold any water as I didn't purposely quoted you off-context. Nice try though.

Wow what happened to Wiki now? I guess we all go selective when cornered. Mighty atheists included.

I was smarter than that. Pity on you. You took him seriously, you thought he represented Christianity maybe. Shame! He is a good kid though.

Still attempting to shift the topic from your issue ... it is quite dishonest at this point... Why did you call Cameron a moron? Call him "ignorant" why moron?

10. Bushmaster78FS

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    What if it is obvious and you refuse to see it? That is a possibility...

11. Isambard

+179
    Atheist
    Single
    Now is the part I ask you quote which of my arguments was circular and you provide the evidence.

As you wish

"Moron (psychology), disused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12, slang for a stupid person "
    Moron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

???
    Where did I say, or even imply this? I believe your persecution complex is hanging out.

If you actually bothered to read the entire article on the wiki page about the word moron, you would've answered your own question by now. its your own selective reading that is holding you back.

Edit: I'm feeling kind right now so I'll hlp you out

Noun
    Singular
    moron
    Plural
    morons

moron (plural morons)
    1. (obsolete) A person of borderline intelligence in the former classification of mental retardation, having of an intelligence quotient of 50-69.
    2. (informal) A person who makes uncool, unfunny, uninteresting, or irrelevant (see lame) attempts to impress others and draw attention to himself, especially in a flawed attempt to act like someone else.
    [edit] Usage notes

Though originally a psychological, clinical, and medical term, it is currently used as a pejorative term against someone of low intelligence, or even as just a general pejorative. Current term for having an IQ between 50 and 69 is mild mental retardation.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moron

Remember, read the whole thing. That's key ;)

12. Bushmaster78FS

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Circular reasoning.
    Your opinions.

This is classic. The link actually starts like; Moron is a controversial term once used in psychology to denote a category of mental retardation.

But the guy chooses to "quote" which fits the agenda. Then turns around and lectures me about "contextomy" What a character!

If I considered myself within the group of likes of Cameron, your assumption would have had some merit. You implied your great interest when you said you sat hours watching his ignorance. I must admit I forgot to add a "?" after I said "maybe" so... whatever.

Still cheap BS. Let's ignore your desperate attempts to avoid the question by detailing this nonsense, what definition actually defines Cameron's ignorance? Do you have proof of his "low intelligence"? Somehow you cry out that people should understand your "moron" accusation with the number 2, "informal" definition, which you searched for, linked and placed in context yourself, God knows out of ten thousand dictionaries, so how does your opinion make Cameron a moron? Before worrying about being kind to me, be a man and admit what you did was uncalled for.

13. Isambard

+179
    Atheist
    Single
    Im going to take a wild stab here and say you havent actually bothered to read through my (many) replies to WingsOfEagle when he started quoting Slick verbatim.

I guess the "once used" didn't tip you off eh? But your absolutely right, I'm just so evil using words by their modern usage:doh:.

I take it the christian icon beside your name is decortive then?

I've answered your question (repeatedly). You are just choosing to ignore the reply to save face.

YouTube - Kirk Cameron And Bananas

Give me a number of dictionaries entries you'd like, and I'll demonstrate my usage was correct. That said, I would've figured the words "once used" in your own source, or "obselete" in front of my source wouldve tipped you off as to the proper modern usage of the word. Guess not.

See Banana vid. Now its your turn to demonstrate how he is not a moron. ^_^

14. Bushmaster78FS

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Meaning I should have wasted more of my time on your opinions and circular reasoning?

No, you are not evil, just dishonest. Why did you call Cameron a moron? Because the phsychological term doesn't apply in some circles? We established that you don't have proof that he is mentally retarded, which is a psychological condition. You could have said lame, but you said moron. Pretty much you wanted to insult the guy and you can't admit to it. Now we are running in your semantics circles. How pathetic.

Too bad you don't know the depths of our history and schisms.

The replies are pretty much selective dictionary quotations, which you ignored the Wiki's main entry, but expect me to go with what you wish it means "(informal) A person who makes uncool, unfunny, uninteresting, or irrelevant (see lame) attempts to impress others and draw attention to himself, especially in a flawed attempt to act like someone else." Who is trying to save face?

You mean Ray Comfort?

Wiki main entry that goes "Moron is a controversial term once used in psychology" Demonstrate that Kirk Cameron fits this definition. Oh sorry it is obsolete.

The word could simply be not in use by the psychological community but this doesn't change its given meaning. That is your justification?

All Cameron says is an "aah" at the end of the video. Stop wasting my time with this childish nonsense. Again we departed from the main issue of your ad-hom.

15. Bushmaster78FS

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    What is obvious doesn't need evidence. You share the same attitude regarding Cameron. Avoid double standards.

So it is OK to insult him because he is ignorant of your views. Nice.

I have asked a couple soldiers in my unit what moron meant to them. Results were always "derogatory"! From "stupid" to "retarded". So it still applies in daily life. The word has a history. What you do is tap-dancing around your insult. Quite dishonest.

Again, it must be OK to insult him because he is ignorant of your views.

If you are not going to like the answers, don't ask the questions. My answer directly addressed your hasty generalization. Although, I am not going to sink and call someone names because he doesn't know why I categorize myself in a different group than evangelical Kirk Cameron.

Spend some effort and spell right. It matters to me. Still, your circular arguments doesn't address the issue how you justify yourself in insulting someone with a derogatory term.

Let me backpedal it for you, why did you insult the guy?

What? Come again?

And? What is his function? Forcing Ray to advertise silly arguments? Focus dude!

That must be why you insulted him, then?

In my view, clearly, whether they know it or not, ignorance is their excuse. What is your excuse to insult Cameron with a derogatory remark?

Wish it was, as the same rate your tap-dancing...

16. Isambard

+179
    Atheist
    Single
    Nice dodge. I actually provided links. Now stop quote-mining.

Ignorant of reality. Despite this, he feels he's qualified to lecture others about subjects he knows nothing of. Being corrected multiple times does nothing to dissaude him.

Ad populum. Your list of fallacies grows with your post count. Here's a hint. Try actually talking/citing someone qualified in the area of discussion.

See above.

your answer was completely irrelevant to what I asked you. You implied I was attacking christianity. I refuted this. You replied by claiming I'm ignorant of church history. Now want to stop dodging and bac up your assertion, or will eat your words?

Ironic hilarity aside (you've misspelled words in your previous postsm not to mention your second sentence is grammatically incorrect), I actually posted reasons as to why he's a moron (which you conveniently keep forgetting). You however, have yet to be able to back wha you're saying. I asked you to cite evidence, and you seem to have an almost phobic fear of providing any.

"It still seems like you are the one trying to fit an obselete specialized definition of a word. But hey, keep going. What do dictionaries and encyclopedias know anyways right?"

Fixed
    He's made his own moronic statements, but I see you decided to ignore the whole "Crocaduck" argument as you haven't addressed it in the least.

*Sigh*
    This reply doesn't even make sense in relation to what you quoted.

As stated above, ignorance is fine, will-full ignorance is not. This is especially true when you go out and then try to convert others to will-full ignorance.

:doh:

17. newbeliever02072005

newbeliever02072005 Have Courage to Trust God Supporter

+958
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    MOD HAT ON

thread closed for staff review

MOD HAT OFF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.