Going to holistic/Naturopath doctor....is it wrong?

I

IanCG

I could respond with my own youtube link, after all it's so convincing. :p

Even if you don't think homeopathy works, what on earth is the risk in trying it? And I know it's a lot easier to throw up a youtube video for your opinion, then go out and actually try homeopathy and make an actual personal opinion rather than regurgitate one; but I'll stick with:

"Don't knock it 'till you tried it." :p

Until then, you have just another persons opinion. :)

Peace,
- Niffer

and btw, yes I have used homeopathy regularly (as does my entire family), and herbalism - just in case you wanna fire that one back at me. ;)

Ok, you're wasting your family's money on water. Just because you use it and think it works doesn't make it any more effective. If these snake oil salesmen didn't fool tons of people like you, they wouldn't be in business.

(and the risk is letting an illness get worse because you think you're treating it)

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

Even if you don't think homeopathy works, what on earth is the risk in trying it?

None. None whatsoever, unless you actually have an ailment that needs fixing.

And I know it's a lot easier to throw up a youtube video for your opinion, then go out and actually try homeopathy and make an actual personal opinion rather than regurgitate one; but I'll stick with:

Why would I take my own experience of a claimed treatment (sample size of one, which proves absolutely squat) vs. studies that have shown time and time again that homeopathy is no better than placebo?

and btw, yes I have used homeopathy regularly (as does my entire family), and herbalism - just in case you wanna fire that one back at me. ;)

That's nice. Does your family constitute a larger sample size than those in the clinical tries that support the notion that homeopathy basically doesn't work?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,204,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even if you don't think homeopathy works, what on earth is the risk in trying it?

I waste money on something that does not work at the least and use magical water pills in place of actual treatment.

And I know it's a lot easier to throw up a youtube video for your opinion, then go out and actually try homeopathy and make an actual personal opinion rather than regurgitate one; but I'll stick with:

Why would I bother trying magic water when there is real medication available?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Even if you don't think homeopathy works, what on earth is the risk in trying it? And I know it's a lot easier to throw up a youtube video for your opinion, then go out and actually try homeopathy and make an actual personal opinion rather than regurgitate one; but I'll stick with:

Peace,
- Niffer

Because statistics through clinical trials is much better at assessing whether a treatment actually works than trying it for oneself.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic

Putting yourself in the hands of a homeopath is risky. If your situation deteriorates, the homeopath will not necessarily recognize this and thus not take proper action. This for example leads to six year old kids dying from perfectly treatable eczema (Parents guilty of manslaughter over daughter's eczema death).

Peace,
- Niffer

Several friends of mine tried homeopathy. Didn't work for a single one of them. As I predicted beforehand.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Peace,
- Niffer

Let's watch the TED Talk version instead.

James Randi intentionally overdoses on homepathic sleeping pills to prove that they do absolutely nothing.

James Randi: Homeopathy, quackery and fraud | Video on TED.com

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I think it is actually better in some aspects. You are doing a better job of treating your body as a temple by avoiding putting all of modern medicine's toxins in your system.

If you want to go that route, save money and just have a glass of tap water.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
I think it is actually better in some aspects. You are doing a better job of treating your body as a temple by avoiding putting all of modern medicine's toxins in your system.
Those "toxins" remove the causes of disease. Allowing those causes of disease to wreck havoc on your body cannot in any sane way be defined as "treating your body as a temple".

Upvote 0

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Those "toxins" remove the causes of disease. Allowing those causes of disease to wreck havoc on your body cannot in any sane way be defined as "treating your body as a temple".

When is the last time you saw a PSA stating "If you or a loved one were prescribed Fakenamezione and had kidney failure, artery damage, etc., then call now. New studies on this drug has been shown to cause (insert list of problems here)."
If you watch TV a few times a week, I'm sure you've seen these commercials at least once a week. Modern medicine is literally allowing combinations of chemicals into your body, that can cause problems. Heck, I'll give you an example out of my medicine cabinet...Zoloft may increase suicidal thoughts. These chemicals can backfire on us. I took Ritalin for my ADHD about a year ago and it literally made me feel insane, and so I stopped taking it, and crashed: I couldn't get out of bed for a week, I just laid there sobbing.
I still use modern medicine because I have found medicines that work for me, and because I live under my parents roof, but I think that sometimes Western modern medicine can do more harm than good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you want to go that route, save money and just have a glass of tap water.

Despite your facetiousness, you brought a good point to my mind.
Say you have symptoms of fatigue, hallucinations, and vomit when you work out. Go to a modern doctor, and they will probably prescribe you something. Go to a holistic doctor, and they will probably point out that you are dehydrated; they will say drink water mixed with natural ingredients a, b, and c in order to get your strength back.
I think that is far healthier than the modern doctor's idea.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
When is the last time you saw a PSA stating "If you or a loved one were prescribed Fakenamezione and had kidney failure, artery damage, etc., then call now. New studies on this drug has been shown to cause (insert list of problems here)."
If you watch TV a few times a week, I'm sure you've seen these commercials at least once a week. Modern medicine is literally allowing combinations of chemicals into your body, that can cause problems. Heck, I'll give you an example out of my medicine cabinet...Zoloft may increase suicidal thoughts. These chemicals can backfire on us. I took Ritalin for my ADHD about a year ago and it literally made me feel insane, and so I stopped taking it, and crashed: I couldn't get out of bed for a week, I just laid there sobbing.
I still use modern medicine because I have found medicines that work for me, and because I live under my parents roof, but I think that sometimes Western modern medicine can do more harm than good.

You're right, it can, and the side-effects of some drugs can be notoriously downplayed. But that doesn't change the fact that things like homeopathy etc have no evidence backing them. You don't avoid either the problem of ineffective remedies like homeopathy or commercial drugs having their side effects partially or even entirely covered up by relaxing scientific standards on clinical trials to the point where things like homeopathy appear to get a pass.

Drug companies abusing public trust necessitates stronger scientific standards, not weaker.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Despite your facetiousness, you brought a good point to my mind.
Say you have symptoms of fatigue, hallucinations, and vomit when you work out. Go to a modern doctor, and they will probably prescribe you something. Go to a holistic doctor, and they will probably point out that you are dehydrated; they will say drink water mixed with natural ingredients a, b, and c in order to get your strength back.
I think that is far healthier than the modern doctor's idea.

Of course, those symptoms are consistent with maladies far worse than mere dehydration.

At worst if you see the modern doctor you take a prescription drug and it won't do anything too unpleasant too you if a side-effect even occurs. At worst if you see the holistic doctor and it IS something serious, their prescriptions will leave you up a certain creek without a certain instrument.

Upvote 0

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're right, it can, and the side-effects of some drugs can be notoriously downplayed. But that doesn't change the fact that things like homeopathy etc have no evidence backing them. You don't avoid either the problem of ineffective remedies like homeopathy or commercial drugs having their side effects partially or even entirely covered up by relaxing scientific standards on clinical trials to the point where things like homeopathy appear to get a pass.

Drug companies abusing public trust necessitates stronger scientific standards, not weaker.

In my humble opinion, if you want to try holistic treatment, you should see both the holistic doctor, and the modern doctor, for a second opinion.
I completely agree with what you are saying about the drug companies though, and I think that is part of what turns me off to modern medicine.
But hey, some people are cured by medicine, some by homeopathy, and some by laying of the hands. Who's to say what will work for you?
I personally have never tried holistic medicine, but have an open mind about it.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,204,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I
But hey, some people are cured by medicine, some by homeopathy, and some by laying of the hands. Who's to say what will work for you?

Citation needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Citation needed.

If you are a Christian, then the citation for being cured with laying of the hands is in this big book called the bible :preach: and as for homeopathy there is just the testimony of people who have been cured.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,204,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you are a Christian, then the citation for being cured with laying of the hands is in this big book called the bible :preach: and as for homeopathy there is just the testimony of people who have been cured.

Lack of evidence duly noted.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,204,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So you don't believe that Christ gave the power for His Daughters and Sons to fulfill the duty of healing the sick by laying of the hands?

No, I don't believe in magic.

Upvote 0

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, I don't believe in magic.

I was unaware I was speaking to a non-believer, I apologize. In that case, nothing I can say on the subject of laying of hands will mean anything to you.

Upvote 0