• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Going to hell for breaking the law?

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, i think I've been doing well lately, but Ive been worried about doing something that will get me sent to hell. it seems that no matter where I look there is something to trigger my worry, today it was someone mentioning the "depart Me" verse and I started fearing that if I even break a man made law like accidentally littering or breaking curfew, or something that I will be in jeopardy of hell. i know we are supposed to keep the law and I try but is breaking man's law a mortal sin like lying? Im worried.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, i think I've been doing well lately, but Ive been worried about doing something that will get me sent to hell. it seems that no matter where I look there is something to trigger my worry, today it was someone mentioning the "depart Me" verse and I started fearing that if I even break a man made law like accidentally littering or breaking curfew, or something that I will be in jeopardy of hell. i know we are supposed to keep the law and I try but is breaking man's law a mortal sin like lying? Im worried.

I think killing someone would offend God. And we are supposed to be truthful with God and man. But littering is nothing, but littering. Man's laws are there by government. That does not guarantee that they are God's laws. I think you're OK. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just remember that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour and He died for us and He can help you with everything. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Try to remind yourself that the "good news" is actually good news. Jesus says He did not come to condemn, but to save (John 3). Of course we shouldn't want to do anything bad, but He does not want us walking around in morbid fear. The book of Hebrews tells us that while animal sacrifices could not cleanse us of sin-consciousness, the blood of the perfect man, Jesus, can. Try to stay in the Word of God, because the truth there will set you free over time with each revelation. And pray the truth and love and grace of God whenever you can.

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think killing someone would offend God. And we are supposed to be truthful with God and man. But littering is nothing, but littering. Man's laws or there by government. That does not guarantee that they are God's laws. I think you're OK. :)
Thank you, so you dont think Matthew 21-23 refers to people who break mans law? I'm not being lawless?

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to remind yourself that the "good news" is actually good news. Jesus says He did not come to condemn, but to save (John 3). Of course we shouldn't want to do anything bad, but He does not want us walking around in morbid fear. The book of Hebrews tells us that while animal sacrifices could not cleanse us of sin-consciousness, the blood of the perfect man, Jesus, can. Try to stay in the Word of God, because the truth there will set you free over time with each revelation. And pray the truth and love and grace of God whenever you can.

Thank you, so you don't think Im being lawlesss if I accidentally break the law? I dont really believe that Matthew 21 refers to breaking mans law but I fear Im wrong and that when I die Ill find out.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, so you don't think Im being lawlesss if I accidentally break the law? I dont really believe that Matthew 21 refers to breaking mans law but I fear Im wrong and that when I die Ill find out.
What verse in Matthew are you referring to? If you accidentally break the law you may be in trouble with the police, though even human courts often take motivation into consideration. But God told the prophet Samuel, " God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” He's much more interested in your heart than in perfect performance.

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What verse in Matthew are you referring to? If you accidentally break the law you may be in trouble with the police, though even human courts often take motivation into consideration. But God told the prophet Samuel, " God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” He's much more interested in your heart than in perfect performance.
Sorry, I was referring to Matthew 7:21-23 which mentioned practicers of unlawfulness

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, so you dont think Matthew 21-23 refers to people who break mans law? I'm not being lawless?

Maybe you meant Matthew 7:21-23. But interestingly I think I can make the other work.

Matthew 21:12, you might be noticing Jesus breaking the law, it's a little unclear. We are supposed to not break God's law and we are supposed to be subject to the governing dominion we are under. Matthew 22:21 says to give back to Caesar what is Caesars. Matthew 22:36-40 teaches us the Law, which is to love God and our neighbor. Matthew 23:1-4 tells the disciples to do the law of Moses. Mathew 23:13-15 tells us that those in governing authority of the law of Moses were not going to heaven also that they were making children of hell.

I think it's clear God was telling us in those sections the law which is to love God and your neighbor! He also said to obey the law of Moses. Now the new covenant did away with some of the law of Moses. But there are the ten commandments which we should obey.

The laws of the US contain some of the ten commandments although they are getting out of Moses teachings somewhat year by year.

But I think it is wise to obey the law of the USA, not that you'll go to hell for breaking some of it. But you might go to jail. Danger is breaking God's laws and not repenting. We are all sinners:

So I would obey both laws, the laws of the USA, but put God's laws first.

You might want to read Luke 18:11-14 It says the man that does good doesn't go to heaven and the sinner does. We must be humble in heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I am not sure if this reflects on who is or was teaching you the Bible (a church etc..) or that you are a poor listener and not hearing what is being taught.

Either way you have a very poor understanding of how to have eternal life and not go to hell as you say it.
Do you want eternal life and know you are not going to hell then. Do what the Bible says do especially the only book of the Bible specifically written to tell people how to have life(eternal life). The Gospel of John.

Here are a few verses do what they say.
No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I was referring to Matthew 7:21-23 which mentioned practicers of unlawfulness
In the Greek it actually says, "you working lawlessness". The present participle, ending in "-ing", denotes ongoing habitual action, not a one time failure, certainly not a mistake. God is not so unjust or unmerciful as that, or no one would have a hint of a chance, and it would have been a waste for Jesus to come to save us.

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if this reflects on who is or was teaching you the Bible (a church etc..) or that you are a poor listener and not hearing what is being taught.

Either way you have a very poor understanding of how to have eternal life and not go to hell as you say it.
Do you want eternal life and know you are not going to hell then. Do what the Bible says do especially the only book of the Bible specifically written to tell people how to have life(eternal life). The Gospel of John.

Here are a few verses do what they say.
No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

I know that to be saved you have to believe in Jesus, and I do I also see other verses that seem to imply salvation is affected by your actions whivh stirs up my OCD. I was raised in a Christian school, I do understand what it takes to be saved but my OCD makes it hard for me to see the trees for the forest so to speak and Im prone to worrying if I have misinterpreted something in the bible. How would you interpret Matthew 7:21-23?

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the Greek it actually says, "you working lawlessness". The present participle, ending in "-ing", denotes ongoing habitual action, not a one time failure, certainly not a mistake. God is not so unjust or unmerciful as that, or no one would have a hint of a chance, and it would have been a waste for Jesus to come to save us.
Thank you, I know people who dont take certaim laws seriously, like littering would a person who is habitual litter go to hell?

Upvote 0

FatalFantasy

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
✟2,057.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one can live a perfect sinless life, so what will you do about all those sins you have committed? Sinfulness doesn't lead a person to hell, love of sinfulness does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know that to be saved you have to believe in Jesus, and I do I also see other verses that seem to imply salvation is affected by your actions whivh stirs up my OCD. I was raised in a Christian school, I do understand what it takes to be saved but my OCD makes it hard for me to see the trees for the forest so to speak and Im prone to worrying if I have misinterpreted something in the bible. How would you interpret Matthew 7:21-23?

What does verse 21 say do you know the answer to what is the will of My Father in Heaven.

Look at John 6;40
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, so you dont think I'm being lawless?
I believe that according to the Bible we are all lawbreakers and that we all need Jesus. Just remember how much God loves you and if we sin we should confess it and trust in Jesus to save us. God bless you and Jesus is Lord. You can pm me anytime.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, I know people who dont take certaim laws seriously, like littering would a person who is habitual litter go to hell?
Some sins, even if habitual, do not rise to the level of spiritual fatality.

If anyone should see his brother sinning a sin not unto death, he shall ask, and He will give him life, to those sinning not unto death. There is a sin unto death; I do not say that he should implore concerning that.
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not unto death.
-1John 5:16-17​

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@paul1149 Thank you, my pastor is a strrong believer that we cannot be saved by our own works and he said that Matthew 7:21-23 is referring to people who did not put their faith in Jesus and instead in their own works hence their reaction when Jesus told them to leave, they had spent their life doing all these things but they forgot that witgout Jesus's blood we all condemned. I cant believe I forgot that but do you think thats true it would align more with what the bible says about not being saved by our works(but following the law is still a good thing I know).​

Last edited:
Upvote 0