• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Going to hell for breaking the law?

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
he said that Matthew 7:21-23 is referring to people who did not put their faith in Jesus and instead in their own works hence their reaction when Jesus told them to leave, they had spent their life doing all these things but they forgot that witgout Jesus's blood we all condemned
I would say that that is true. They had all the "right" works, it seemed, but Jesus still judges them as lawless. And why is that? The verse gives the answer: I never knew you.

The word "knew" there is gnosko. It connotes not just acquaintance, but intimate knowledge, the kind between husband and wife. The people in these verses had the outer works, but didn't allow the Spirit of Christ to penetrate their hearts, to examine, cleanse, and heal its deep motivations. So they were stuck in performance mode rather than letting Christ work in and through them. But Jesus says, "without Me you can do nothing".

Now, do not despair. We all find ourselves in performance mode at times. We're working hard and enjoying it less. We try to attain some level of performance, but lawkeeping brings condemnation and fear. That doesn't mean God has given up on you. Coming out of it is a process. Remember 1Jn 1:9, and camp out in 2Cor 5.17-ff, where "God was... not counting their sins against them." Rom 6.14: "You are not under law, but under grace", therefore "there is no condemnation" (8.1-ff).

Jesus came to give "the abundant life" (Jn 10), not to "steal, kill and destroy'. Feed on the Word because over time it WILL make you free. You will feel one shackle after another fall off. The key is to stay in faith mode towards our good and kind Savior God. His perfect love will cast out fear. Twice David says, "Thy gentleness has made me great!"

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel better but still stressed out. I am now wondering was Jesus referring to breaking man's law causing the lawlessness or God's law or both of them, its very confusing and I feel like I am walking on eggshells in a way.
You do realize that it is your OCD making you feel like this? And that seeking reassurance as you are is actually a compulsion? :)

What do you think? Do you think you will go to hell for something like littering?

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do realize that it is your OCD making you feel like this? And that seeking reassurance as you are is actually a compulsion? :)

What do you think? Do you think you will go to hell for something like littering?
I didnt think about it like that before, but I can see how looking for assurance is a compulsion I do always feel like the assurance I get isnt "clear" enough but I am just so terrifed of being wrong. Honestly deep down I dont think God would send someone to hell for littering or even jaywalking both have consequences on earth but I dont think God would send someone to hell over it, but there is still a part of me that worries that I'm wrong and my feeling horrible is because God is upset with me.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didnt think about it like that before, but I can see how looking for assurance is a compulsion I do always feel like the assurance I get isnt "clear" enough but I am just so terrifed of being wrong. Honestly deep down I dont think God would send someone to hell for littering or even jaywalking both have consequences on earth but I dont think God would send someone to hell over it, but there is still a part of me that worries that I'm wrong and my feeling horrible is because God is upset with me.
That's exactly the way OCD works! The fear overrides our common sense, so even though we intuitively "know" the answer, we're still afraid to rest in that intuitive knowledge. And there's always a big fear or risk associated with the obsession that hangs like a weight over our heads, blackmailing us from stepping out away from the obsession. Do you have professional help or other resources you can use to stand up to your OCD and start moving away from it?

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟27,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's exactly the way OCD works! The fear overrides our common sense, so even though we intuitively "know" the answer, we're still afraid to rest in that intuitive knowledge. And there's always a big fear or risk associated with the obsession that hangs like a weight over our heads, blackmailing us from stepping out away from the obsession. Do you have professional help or other resources you can use to stand up to your OCD and start moving away from it?
Thank you for the response it is helpful :) I dont have a therapist yet but I do want to talk to one soon, I've been reading BeyondOCD and other OCD sites but sometimes it feels like things(bible verses, radio talk show hosts ect) are "telling" me my concerns are valid some days are better than others and I hope to see a therapist soon, I do have my parents to talk to for now though.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the response it is helpful :) I dont have a therapist yet but I do want to talk to one soon, I've been reading BeyondOCD and other OCD sites but sometimes it feels like things(bible verses, radio talk show hosts ect) are "telling" me my concerns are valid some days are better than others and I hope to see a therapist soon, I do have my parents to talk to for now though.
Yes, feeling like one is getting a message or "sign" is common with OCD. A therapist can be helpful but there is also SO much you can do on your own. I can recommend some good websites if you'd like! Also, feel free to join the Facebook group "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders." I'm part of that group, and it has a lot of people with OCD who are knowledgeable about fighting it and willing to offer advice.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0