Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
part B

No, this is not accurate.

It is entirely accurate, or else I would not have posted it. I am not in the business of misleading members of CF.com

First thing to consider is that the Jewish believers Peter, James and most likely Thomas , were still under the law and zealous for it way after Jesus death. We see this all through the book of Acts. In chapter 10 , 15 , 21 etc. In Acts 21, the Jewish believers were still zealous if the law and the customs and sacrificing animals in the temple and other things. It is thought that Acts 21 was written about 64 AD or later.

Unlikely, since Sts. Peter and Paul had been martyred by that time.

So to say that Thomas went off to the Gentiles and made some building called s church , or even to imply it would be hard to believe or accept given the climate of the church and the many issues around that time .

We know for a fact that he went on a mission of evangelization in the East. His early converts included King Agbar of Edessa. His disciples included Sts. Addai and Mari.

What is more, archaeological evidence confirms the Church of the East, until the persecutions of Timur the Lame, in the 13th century, extended into China, Tibet and Mongolia.

The Acts 15 counsel where they wanted to make Gentiles keep the law of Moses and be circumcised to he saved was around 50 AD or so.

That is not what "they wanted to do." The Council of Jerusalem, presided over by St. James the Just, did away with those requirements.

But a closer look at the St. Thomas so called "Church building" . Here are some considerations about the myth of St Thomas church

http://indiafacts.org/the-mylapore-st-thomas-myth-that-just-doesnt-seem-to-die-part-1/

"

That article, a mere blog post, is an irrelevant expression of opinion.

My sources are The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity and The Oxford Handbook of Christian Worship.

One very offensive aspect of that article, by the way, is that the author cites the opinions of various dated Protestant scholars while entirely ignoring the historical record of the Christian community in India, which strikes me as an appalling instance of a neo-Colonial, regressive mentality.

In other words, the story of St. Thomas coming to India is primarily based on a hagiography called the Acts of Thomas

No. The Acts of Thomas is rejected in the Nasrani churches as being spurious Gnostic apocrypha.

in which we find no indication of Thomas ever landing in India – and which, being a hagiography, has no historical authenticity.

It is not a hagiography, but, your statement that hagiographies have no historical authenticity is both offensive and wrong. Hagiographies are a vital source of information on the early Church even for secular scholars.

For a pious Christian, their content should be regarded as second only to Holy Scripture and the liturgical texts of the Church.

The story was then reinvented many times over by the Syrian Christians who sought refuge in India,

The Nasrani are not ethnically or otherwise Syrian.

They historically spoke the Syriac language, but so did most Jews across Asia.

There was a substantial Jewish community in India at the time of the Apostle Thomas, by the way, and it continues to survive as well. See the Kochin Jews of whom Vidal Sasoon was a prominent member, and the Bene Israel.

It is also dismaying by the way to see you characterize not just one Christian denomination, but around 8-10 denominations, that collectively comprise an entire ethnic group within the population of South India, as lying refugees.

As it happens, the Indian Christian population, from a genetic perspective, is Indian. They are more genetically and ethnically Indian than the Iranians or Parsees, who did as it happens flee persecution in the Persian Empire ( a problem never faced to that extent by Assyrian Christians).

Also, Syriac Christians of the Middle East are largely resident in Iraq, Lebanon, Iran, and Palestine; they historically were extremely common in the Tur Abdin area of Turkey. To call them Syrian is a huge error; almost none of the Assyrians live in Syria, and only some of the Syriac Orthodox.

and was later picked up and reported by Marco Polo in his encounters with some of these Syrian Christians.

Marco Polo did not
From here, the story was lapped up by the Portuguese who then ‘established’ the link between this legendary St. Thomas and India by building the church on the Mylapore beach.

No, the Portuguese attempted to forcibly converted the Indian Orthodox to Roman Catholicism. They failed, but did manage to inflict some cultural damage.

However, we know a lot about the Indian church, its history, and liturgy, before the Portuguese.

Yet, to this day this myth lives on. Attempts are being made to unabashedly perpetuate the propagation of this falsehood. Tomes of literature are written by theologians who pass off as historians and other ‘eminences’ who invariably have some ideological or political agenda. Starting from the Protestant missionary Claudius Buchanan to the Roman Catholic historian Fr. A Mundanan and the ‘historical fiction’ writer of our own time, William Dalrymple, all have parroted the same fabrication that originated with the Syrian Christians and have tried to legitimize it as the ‘truth’."

There is a lot of sites that expose the myth but regardless, such a story is clouded with doubt.

Not to mention the most important part the scripture speaks of the church meeting in homes all through the recorded record and this was the apostolic order. Even if we did suppose that Thomas did use a pagan temple to have meetings in this would by no means justify calling the man made building a church by any means. Or could it bring proven that if Thomas was there that he called it a church. Such understanding came later and attached to the myth as if the building was a church.

It is a good study to go and see what the church is as scripture shows and what the church does , .where they meet etc all by scripture alone. This should be enough to shake the error if calling a man made tradition or man made structure "the church" , or trying to use confusing words to make it so

Continued in part C ...

I have no idea where you found this misinformation, but it is astonishingly offensive to see an entire ethnic group of my coreligionists libelled and accused of propagating a myth with the assistance of hapless, misguided Orientalist westerners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
No this is wrong, as scripture shows

"

Acts 7:48 >>
Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet"

This is in the Old and New Testament.

No amount of fancy metaphysical talk can change this

And do my entire point is proven by this one verse against man made Babylonian type edifices unbiblically called "churches"

Our Lord dwells bodily in the blood and wine, and this in turn is kept in the Orthodox church building.

The verse from acts refers to the aspect of God as unbounded and omnipresent, and is rather a refutation of the ancient Judaic misconception, particularly emphasized in Samaritanism, that denies omnipresence by localizing God.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is entirely accurate, or else I would not have posted it. I am not in the business of misleading members of CF.com

All my corrections and an swears are based on accurate truth. The historical references and anything outside of scripture that i quote ( as well as whey you quote) is subject to more stringent analysis.

And I would never write anything to mislead anyone, I only write what I believe is true or i would not have written it as well.

Unlikely, since Sts. Peter and Paul had been martyred by that time.

I said the Acts 21 was possibly written around 64 Ad. This is possible according to many in the Christian community who have dated the book of Acts. Paul may have died anywhere between 62 and 68 AD. To assume a lesser date is not proven. But even if we assume Paul died around 62 Ad and the writing of Acts 21 was less. Still we see the jewish believers under temple worship and animal sacrifices at that time. Not going to the gentiles for the most part and we read nothing about Thomas in these events from scripture.

Also What Thomas did in his ministry s not added to scripture so we cannot say with 100 percent clarity. But we can go by scripture. Even if men went off and used a pagan Hindu Temple for meeting ( which I am not saying i believe he did. Tto assume that he called it a church at that time is a stretch and not proven. Also to assume that he did not just use a space ( if he did go there ) as an evangelist meeting place is a stretch also. I am not against men using a space for meeting if a home is not available. As long as they wait on the Lord for ministry ( 1 Cor 14:26-38, 1 Peter 4:10,11, Romans 12, Ephesians 4:15-16, Colossians 3:15,16 etc etc) and have a meal together fellowship , pray and continue n the apostles doctrine and gifts from God. If they can do this in a space available that is good .But nowhere do we see any man in the new testament calling a man made building a church. In fact almost every minister I have met, when questioning them on this issue will admit, "ok I agree a man made building is not the church, people are the church, the body of Christ"

It is also dismaying by the way to see you characterize not just one Christian denomination, but around 8-10 denominations, that collectively comprise an entire ethnic group within the population of South India, as lying refugees..

I do nothing of the sort. I only speak of your reference and justification you use to call a man made building a church. This is my focus. I am not speaking of what others believe. if so believe the St Thomas Story, I would also disagree with them. But disagreeing with someone and saying men are lying is far different. I believe there are many believers in all denominations ( most) and they are often ignorant of certain truths, But i would not say all are lying.

I have no idea where you found this misinformation, but it is astonishingly offensive to see an entire ethnic group of my coreligionists libelled and accused of propagating a myth with the assistance of hapless, misguided Orientalist westerners.
I quoted the sources where I got the info from and I quoted three sources I believe. There is many many more I could have quoted I could literally have quoted tons of info about this historical issue but I would rather not, I prefer scripture for the authority than history written by men who many times are bias or who use things to strengthen their ideas etc..

And I by no means am speaking against a entire ethnic group that is not right to make such a claim. This issue only has to do with your use of the story about St Thomas, which is debateable for a long a long time with many people over years. This is not a good source to use.

When we try to use any old writings or historical ideas from the past there will often be discrepancies and some bias depending on who wrote it and when etc. I would much rather prefer the scriptural use for the evidence. Often in such discussions men will run outside of scriptural authority and quote so called "church fathers" etc or other writings to try and state their case. But we are told in scripture not to put men above that which is written.

Although I am not against using history about many things we must always be careful when doings. I would suggest you recant your use of that debatable story in trying to justify your case. i also do not want to get into a discussion for hours about the truth or error of a historical account based on biases from either view. This discussion about the so called claims of some about St Thomas so called "church" has been going on for a long time. It would be better if we stick to scripture and the order of God on this one.

I believe there were biases from ancient writers who made such claims and attached themselves to Thomas ministry etc. But again we would have to get into a deep study of history from various writers that may or may not be gibing all the info. I do not want to put men above that which is written. My only real authority is scripture. yes i will quote about Constantine, but many of the things I quote are accepted by a vast majority of people and his life is more recorded historically. But again I would not place absolute authority in the historical writings about him either.

scripture is clear no man made building was or should even be called the church and jesus said he would build his church, he is the head of the Church and the church is a spiritual house made with living stones. It is a invisible spiritual body and who physically and corporately gather together in Christ under God's order in the spirit.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Lord dwells bodily in the blood and wine, and this in turn is kept in the Orthodox church building.

The verse from acts refers to the aspect of God as unbounded and omnipresent, and is rather a refutation of the ancient Judaic misconception, particularly emphasized in Samaritanism, that denies omnipresence by localizing God.
No this verse I quoted is in the New testament about the jews making the temple more than it was. It is also found similar in the Old testament about the same thing.

It is a clear correction to your words, clear that is to the unbiased reader. i would hope you could accept that section of scripture and realize that what you said is not true.

...and for the record I do not believe God dwells in anything made by human hands, that included man made buildings or bread. Also we are not to worship anything that is not God or of the creature.

But the discussion of the bread and wine and the view you and others hold on this is a massive one. Not really for this post. But I would gladly discuss why I do not believe in the literal presence of God in bread and wine anytime. Keep in mind that Jesus also said this is my blood which is shed for you. But he hadn't died yet and the testament is only in affect by the death of the tester as hebrews says, and without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. So the blood could not be literal blood and for remission of sins yet, until Jesus died. therefore it could only be a sign and shadow and type. the fruit of the vine is the type, Jesus actual blood shed on the cross is the reality.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
All my corrections and an swears are based on accurate truth.

The blog you cited was inaccurate.

The historical references and anything outside of scripture that i quote ( as well as whey you quote) is subject to more stringent analysis.

I agree, which is why I rely on top-tier academic publications from Oxford University Press and other authoritative sources.

It's good being able to count Oxford as within one's camp, in that not only are they one of the world's top 5 universities, but they also boast some of the leading scholars in the field of Eastern Christianity.

For example, concerning Syriac Christianity, they are home to Sebastian Brock.

And I would never write anything to mislead anyone, I only write what I believe is true or i would not have written it as well.

I believe that. But what you wrote was still in error. I urge you to consult the scholarly works I referenced. Another good starting point is The Lost History of Christianity, by John Philip Jenkins, which focuses on the history of the Syriac Christians of Asia (and also the obliterated Christian community in North Africa, and the persecuted Christians of the Middle East).

I said the Acts 21 was possibly written around 64 Ad. This is possible according to many in the Christian community who have dated the book of Acts. Paul may have died anywhere between 62 and 68 AD. To assume a lesser date is not proven. But even if we assume Paul died around 62 Ad and the writing of Acts 21 was less. Still we see the jewish believers under temple worship and animal sacrifices at that time. Not going to the gentiles for the most part and we read nothing about Thomas in these events from scripture.

Also What Thomas did in his ministry s not added to scripture so we cannot say with 100 percent clarity.

Sure we can. Where a historical record exists, we can refer to that.

But we can go by scripture. Even if men went off and used a pagan Hindu Temple for meeting ( which I am not saying i believe he did. Tto assume that he called it a church at that time is a stretch and not proven. Also to assume that he did not just use a space ( if he did go there ) as an evangelist meeting place is a stretch also. I am not against men using a space for meeting if a home is not available. As long as they wait on the Lord for ministry ( 1 Cor 14:26-38, 1 Peter 4:10,11, Romans 12, Ephesians 4:15-16, Colossians 3:15,16 etc etc)

Waiting worship is not scriptural. The basis for the Orthodox liturgy is expressly set out in 1 Corinthians 11 and elsewhere.

and have a meal together fellowship ,

We have to differentiate between the Eucharist, and ordinary meals. 1 Corinthians 11:27-34

pray and continue n the apostles doctrine and gifts from God. If they can do this in a space available that is good .But nowhere do we see any man in the new testament calling a man made building a church.

This is why in Orthodoxy our parish churches are officially called "Temples." That said, they are normally referred to as churches in the English language.

Your objection to the use of the word "church" is a critique of the English language and related Germanic languages; it is inapplicable in many languages, for example, Greek, where the word Ekklesia refers to the congregation.

In fact almost every minister I have met, when questioning them on this issue will admit, "ok I agree a man made building is not the church, people are the church, the body of Christ"

And they are correct. That we call the temples churches is a linguistic quirk.

I do nothing of the sort. I only speak of your reference and justification you use to call a man made building a church.

Then we have been talking past each other. I have no theological objection to the idea that referring to the building as the church rather than the body of the faithful is misleading.

It does create confusion; it would be better in theory to call the buildings Temples.

This is my focus. I am not speaking of what others believe. if so believe the St Thomas Story, I would also disagree with them. But disagreeing with someone and saying men are lying is far different.
I believe there are many believers in all denominations ( most) and they are often ignorant of certain truths, But i would not say all are lying.

Your post implied historical deception on the part of the Nasranis concerning their origins, and that they were not indigenous to India, but refugees from Ancient Syria.

This is of course quite inaccurate, and it also ignores the presence in India of Jews prior to the birth of our Lord.

Jews were present in India due to commerce between that region, Persia and Greece. India was much more connected with the Levant than with Western Europe; Marco Polo's visit to the country in the 1200s was unusual for an Italian of the Middle Ages, but even in that era, up until the genocide of Tamerlane, large numbers of Christians routinely travelled across Asia.

I quoted the sources where I got the info from and I quoted three sources I believe. There is many many more I could have quoted I could literally have quoted tons of info about this historical issue but I would rather not, I prefer scripture for the authority than history written by men who many times are bias or who use things to strengthen their ideas etc..

Sure. However, I consider the sources you quoted from to be of less reliability than the latest contemporary scholarship from Oxford.

And I by no means am speaking against a entire ethnic group that is not right to make such a claim.

You claimed the Nasranis were refugees from Syria who had, for whatever reason, embraced and propagated an incorrect account as to their origins. I took exception to that.

This issue only has to do with your use of the story about St Thomas, which is debateable for a long a long time with many people over years. This is not a good source to use.

I did not "use the story about St. Thomas."

It is traditional that St. Thomas founded that church. If he did not found it personally, it would have been the work of his disciples Sts. Addai and Mari.

However, there is no compelling reason to doubt the narrative concerning St. Thomas.

It is not disputed by scholars that St. Thomas was the founder and main evangelist of the Church of the East; multiple ancient authorities attest to his martyrdom in India.

His martyrdom is better attested than many Biblical events.

When we try to use any old writings or historical ideas from the past there will often be discrepancies and some bias depending on who wrote it and when etc. I would much rather prefer the scriptural use for the evidence. Often in such discussions men will run outside of scriptural authority and quote so called "church fathers" etc or other writings to try and state their case. But we are told in scripture not to put men above that which is written.

Scripture stresses the importance of maintaining the Apostolic tradition, in Galatians 1:8 and 2 Corinthians 2:15. Thus, the Patristic writings are a vital link in interpreting Scripture.

However, I reject the use of them in the abstract, outside of the living, continuing tradition of the Orthodox Church.

Although I am not against using history about many things we must always be careful when doings. I would suggest you recant your use of that debatable story in trying to justify your case. i also do not want to get into a discussion for hours about the truth or error of a historical account based on biases from either view. This discussion about the so called claims of some about St Thomas so called "church" has been going on for a long time. It would be better if we stick to scripture and the order of God on this one.

There is nothing in Scripture that contradicts the traditional history of the Indian Christians.

I believe there were biases from ancient writers who made such claims and attached themselves to Thomas ministry etc. But again we would have to get into a deep study of history from various writers that may or may not be gibing all the info. I do not want to put men above that which is written.

That which is written was written by men under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and was furthermore edited (that is to say, the canon was determined) by additional men, in the fourth century (St. Athanasius).

The canon determines "what is written." Now, I consider that St. Athansius acted under divine inspiration, but there is an example of a man other than the Apostles establishing a tradition which you evidently adhere to.

If it hadn't been for Athanasius, and the bishops who followed his lead, you might well have a New Testament that contained the Acts of Thomas or other spurious apocrypha.

My only real authority is scripture. yes i will quote about Constantine, but many of the things I quote are accepted by a vast majority of people and his life is more recorded historically. But again I would not place absolute authority in the historical writings about him either.

Neither would I. I place absolute authority in Holy Tradition, of which Scripture is the center.

scripture is clear no man made building was or should even be called the church

There is nothing in scripture which forbids referring to the buildings as churches. The main reason for not doing so would be to avoid confusion with the Church, but alas, that ship has sailed.

and jesus said he would build his church, he is the head of the Church and the church is a spiritual house made with living stones. It is a invisible spiritual body and who physically and corporately gather together in Christ under God's order in the spirit.

The New Testament describes a visible, organized Church, an entity led by the Apostles underneath Christ, acting under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, not an invisible, ethereal entity.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It is a clear correction to your words, clear that is to the unbiased reader. i would hope you could accept that section of scripture and realize that what you said is not true.

For me to accept that, I would have to reject the words of our Lord at the Last Supper, or His divinity (and thus, John 1:1-14).

Our Lord said "Take, eat, this is my body." Our Lord is God. Therefore, in the specific regard of the body and blood of the person of Jesus Christ, God is specifically present in Orthodox churches, because we reserve some of the Eucharist in the tabernacle between services. In like manner, the Holy Spirit is specifically present in the bodies of the faithful, and thus we are temples containing God as well.

God is everywhere present, and fills all things, but is also present in a particular, personal way in us, and in another particular, personal way in the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
But the discussion of the bread and wine and the view you and others hold on this is a massive one. Not really for this post. But I would gladly discuss why I do not believe in the literal presence of God in bread and wine anytime. Keep in mind that Jesus also said this is my blood which is shed for you. But he hadn't died yet and the testament is only in affect by the death of the tester as hebrews says, and without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. So the blood could not be literal blood and for remission of sins yet, until Jesus died. therefore it could only be a sign and shadow and type. the fruit of the vine is the type, Jesus actual blood shed on the cross is the reality.

No one prior to Zwingli (whose Eucharistic theology you are evidently referring to) taught or believed that the Eucharist was a mere sign or shadow. I refuse to believe any theological position or doctrine which does not predate the 16th century.

Beyond that, your argument ignores divine omnipotence and immutability. Our Lord is not bound by time and space; when he said the wine was His blood, which was shed, we can say with certainty that that is what it was, because our Lord is God incarnate.

We must be extremely careful when using the word "can't" in relation to God.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one prior to Zwingli (whose Eucharistic theology you are evidently referring to) taught or believed that the Eucharist was a mere sign or shadow. I refuse to believe any theological position or doctrine which does not predate the 16th century.

Beyond that, your argument ignores divine omnipotence and immutability. Our Lord is not bound by time and space; when he said the wine was His blood, which was shed, we can say with certainty that that is what it was, because our Lord is God incarnate.

We must be extremely careful when using the word "can't" in relation to God.
No, I was not referring to any person after the scriptures were written, except scripture, I need only scripture not any writers after to prove my case and words here I am not a Catholic or Protestant. Paul spoke against denominational affiliations or sect making in 1 Cor. I referred to Jesus own words and Hebrews about the death of the tester, and scripture does not contradict itself. So for any to say that the fruit of the vine that Jesus said was his blood shed for the remission of sin, would contradict where the death of the tester is needed to make the testament in effect. Jesus said this is the New testament in my blood which IS shed ...(present tense). So did he have to go to the cross and die? and shed his blood of was that fruit of the vine right there enough?

"Luke 22:20
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you." (notice the present thense) It is not enough to just say God can do anything and he is beyond space and time. Jesus obviously put himself in space and time for us to see and to relate to and his words are clearly showing that the elements he used were a type or shadow of things to come. The New testament had not come yet for as we read,

Hebrews 9:15,16
"And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Jesus also said

"Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is [present tense when spoken] shed for many for the remission of sins."

and we know that,

"
Hebrews 9:22
"... and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Jesus was peaking of a shadow and type when he brought the suppers type to meaningas scripture speaks of also

Hebrews 10:1
For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

again this is a long talk, open a post and we can talk in there about it there. We will get way off in this talk from God's order in the church

Also there are things that God can't do as scripture tells us.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
again this is a long talk, open a post and we can talk in there about it there. We will get way off in this talk from God's order in the church

The subject of the Eucharist and Eucharistic doctrine is central to the subject of God's order in the church, because the Orthodox understand the Church entirely in the context of this literal commandment or "order" from God, that is to say, we understand the Church as a Eucharistic communion.

You may not ascribe your view of the Eucharist to Zwingli, but the terminology you use with regards to its nature and meaning is exactly that used by Zwingli in the 16th century. No one prior to Zwingli described the Eucharist as a sign or symbol.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that. But what you wrote was still in error.

I did not write any error. I quoted some comments by other men on the topic. I cannot speak for all the history and various arguments for and against it. I was simply showing that thee are many other arguments to your view, so it is not a clear historical proof of anything, much less to try and say or imply that Thomas would have used a space for meetings and called it a church. That goes against the clear evidence in many many scriptures of what the church is. Even against Jesus words in Matthew 18 when he tells them to bing issues before the church, and tell it to the church and hear from the church. Obviously jesus tells us that the church is the called out people in Him, not a man made building or temple of man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I was simply showing that thee are many other arguments to your view, so it is not a clear historical proof of anything, much less to try and say or imply that Thomas would have used a space for meetings and called it a church.

Once again, I am not saying that St. Thomas referred to the physical building as an "ekklesia."

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The subject of the Eucharist and Eucharistic doctrine is central to the subject of God's order in the church, because the Orthodox understand the Church entirely in the context of this literal commandment or "order" from God, that is to say, we understand the Church as a Eucharistic communion.

You may not ascribe your view of the Eucharist to Zwingli, but the terminology you use with regards to its nature and meaning is exactly that used by Zwingli in the 16th century. No one prior to Zwingli described the Eucharist as a sign or symbol.
No I speak only scripture proof on this. If other men in history have seen this as well and use similar scripture proof that is good and no issue here. But i do not refer to any man or writer outside of scripture on this topic of the bread and fruit of the vine and the shadow and type of that symbol as used by many Jewish homes that same night. Jesus as bringing out the meaning of it

In my discussion this topic you bring up is not central to God's order or the way I teach it from scripture the way you describe it as a eating and drinking bread and wine etc. For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. The supper of the Lord is inward as we see jesus speaks of in revelation. He wants to come into them and sup with them. This is spiritual and where all believers commune with Christ and each other in the fellowship of the mystery. . The central aspect of God's order is that men are in Christ as new creations and walk in this rule ( as scripture speaks of) and that he is in them moving and effectually working in them to edify (or build up as a house builder) each one of them with each other. This is how Christ builds his church, from within. Ephesians 4:15,16 etc

But some sadly run after shadows and not the substance.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What they wrote was in error.
Not necessarily the men you quote can also be in error and this is the problem with this debated issue. Stick with scripture and we will see God's order many times shown by the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Once again, I am not saying that St. Thomas referred to the physical building as an "ekklesia."
This is a important admission by you, for if Thomas did not call a man made building a church or temple, then it may have been done so by later men possibly in the 15 hundreds and so the error was born.

But you did say church buildings are not a tradition of men and I quote your words

"
Church Buildings?

It is not a tradition of men.
If by "way back," you mean 50 AD or earlier (the oldest surviving Christian
church building in Kerala, India was consecrated, probably by St. Thomas the Apostle, in 52 AD),"

so you seem to contradict yourself here or are trying to avoid the error you made earlier

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture describes God as almighty and all powerful. He is limited only by His own self-defined virtue.
here is just a small proof of things God cannot do,

"
Titus 1:2
"...God, that cannot lie,..."

Hebrews 6:18
"...it was impossible for God to lie..."

2 Timothy 2:13
"... he cannot deny himself."

Malachi 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I change not;"

He also cannot get tired, cannot be unholy, cannot break a promise, cannot sin, or tempt man to sin, cannot send a flood over the whole earth like he did in Noahs day etc

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
then you have embraced the error of suggesting a Great Apostasy, which is refuted by Matthew 16:18,

Part C

The great apostasy as you put it is not mentioned in Matthew 16:18. Jesus simply said the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church. We know that few there be that find the truth and Jesus himself said,

Luke 18:8
"...Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

Jesus seemed to speak of a great falling away and lack of faith in the end times. This does not contradict that the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church. There will always be a remnant and the church is still mightier than the world and debit. No devils or world error can prevail against the body of Christ. There will always be a church body. But there will also be a great falling away and many shall go captive not Mystery balloon, many of Gods people who he calls to come out of the false harlot.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 [Full Chapter]
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"

Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out ofher, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues

of which was written after the consecration of the church building in question.

Again you use the words "church building" which is unbiblical.

What is more, a reading of the New Testament will show that the Apostles frequently met in synagogues, several of which presumably were convered to become the early parishes of the Church.

No they met in synagogues for different reasons. Paul went to the synagogues to use the opportunity to speak to the jews about Jesus. He often met with opposition. Peter and the other Jews may have gone to the synagogues as well as the temple for the law and customs and they were still struggling with the law for a long time as scripture shows. The fact that they went to them does not justify them for gentle believers or jews) today. They also cannot be used to justify the man made buildings being called the church. To call a man made building the church is my main contention here with your words.

The Christian temple is not of a "pagan type." Rather, it is of the same type as the Jewish Temple or Tabernacle,

No, there is no such thing in scripture or the order of God for a man made building called a church or temple. The new understanding of the word temple for Christians is this,

1 Corinthians 3:16
"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

1 Corinthians 3:17
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

1 Corinthians 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

2 Corinthians 6:16
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

Ephesians 2:21
In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:"

Acts 7:48
Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made withhands; as saith the prophet,"

2 Corinthians 5:1

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

The Christian temple is not of a "pagan type." Rather, it is of the same type as the Jewish Temple or Tabernacle, and is thus a typological icon of our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, the Incarnate Word of God.

This idea of "icon" and the temple being an example of jesus Christ himself. While we can say the temple may have been symbolic of other aspects, we do not follow shadows in the new Covenant, only the bread and fruit of the vine are done in remembrance of his death till he comes. As Jesus said do in remembrance of me".

But I would question the use of so called "icons" in any gathering. I am not sure what your belief and practice is in this matter. But if you have so called icons in the gathering of pictures of a man who is said to be jesus and Mary and other things I would disagree strongly with that. They are not jesus or Mary and not to be used. But as far as the temple building or so called church building" that you refer to as an icon, this is not true at all. and no where to be found in scripture. This would be a tradition of men that turn from the truth and make the word of God of no effect as I understand it from scripture.

Furthermore, since the Temple houses the Eucharist and thus the Body and Blood of Christ, which is furthermore reserved in the Tabernacle for distribution to the sick, the Orthodox Temple is literally a dwelling place of God in the same sense tnat our bodies are Temples, and in the same sense that the Temple of Solomon or the Second Temple were.

Acts 7:48
Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made withhands; as saith the prophet,"

God is of course everywhere present, and fills all things, but He has a specific, ontological, scripturally defined presence in the Temples of the Orthodox Church through the Eucharist similiar to His specific, ontological defined presence in the bodies of the faithful through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit conferred sacramentally in the mystery of Chrismation, or the Eucharist.

No this is nowhere in scripture. The early church met in homes all through the years for about 300 or so. They did not call their homes temples or the church. But rather that the church met in the homes. They did not say the man made buildings of brick and mortar (or sand etc) were the church or in some sacramental union with the Lords supper.

You have not one scripture to show that the early church ( from scripture0 ever called a man made building the church or temple to meet in. And I am not referring to the OT Jewish Temple, which they had trouble to leave for a long time.

This is inaccurate, as I have shown. The oldest remaining physical church building I am aware of is in Kerala, India, and was consecrated in 52 AD. There are several churches uncovered by archaeological expeditions, in Dura Europos, Syria and elsewhere, which predate St. Constantine, dating from the second or third century.

Again you call a man made building a church building and this is false. Also you try to use other historical findings, one in Dura Europos, around 240 AD. But this is more credible as the first record of a church meeting in a house of ancient times. Again, these were simply homes they met in. They were not referred to as the church. This idea came later on when others attached words and phrases to findings.

The Armenian Orthodox cathedral of Holy Etchmiadzin, (which means "God descended," because our Lord physically appeared there, leading to the mass-conversion of the Armenians, who became the first nation to convert in its entirety to Christianity), dates from 306 AD, predating the miraculous conversion of St. Constantine to the holy Orthodox faith in 314 AD.

Again questionable history and the man Saint Gregory, (so called) had a vision and then a place was built. But this place was built and rebuilt over the centuries and almost destroyed in the 4th century I believe. The original place may have simply been a large house structure. But the point is that whatever men did here and there in their error, was not scriptural, and the order of God was not being followed by many. To call a man made building the church or temple of God is false according to scripture. No matter what men from history you may quote. We must not go beyond that which is written. Or to put men above that which is written, as many have done over the centuries).

By the way most historians agree that the early church for centuries met in homes. The main change was when Constantine started to recognize Christianity and began a building project all over. These Basilicas came to be known as "so called "churches" and we have been in the same mess ever since and today so many still believe they go to church on the corner. No believer has ever gone to church, or could point to a religious building as the church in truth and according to scripture. the church met in their homes following the Spirits guidance to do so. as scripture teaches.

There is a lot of history about this and much agreed history.

So alas, the attempt to claim churches are a Constantinian conspiracy will not work.

Yes it will. When the so called Basilicas were set up all over by Constantine began to influence the places they were built and the church was drawn out of hiding and into the apparent acceptance of the world. This caused a problem of mixing with the world. The pergamos church in revolution may be prophetically attached to this era. There is a lot of history showing how from that time the church began to change and many more such basilicas were built up following that example. This was all nothing to do with scripture but the whims of a emperor and his desire to help Christianity out and make it more prominent.

No, it is simply an aspect of Germanic languages. It is not misleading as long as one makes a point to differentiate betwen church buildings and the Church itself, which is the Holy Orthodox Church referred to in the Nicene Creed as the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Again the "church" is the body of Christ, and jesus Christ is the head. It is a spiritual house built up. There are no "church buildings" in scripture of the new testament. To say there is confounds the truth and builds another church than Christ is building. The structures and forms and order in such places hinders the order of God and the purpose and function of the church ( believers gathered in Christ together).

Edification is not stifled if I look at the back of my brother, because He was created in the Image of God, who for our salvation became man, and was crucified and resurrected. I see God in the back of the heads of my brethren as well as in their faces.

Yes edification of one another is greatly hindered in such sacramental and liturgical gatherings where a man is on a exalted platform wearing long robes and following a program. The scripture speaks of none of this in the new testament. The believers simply met in homes facing one another and waited on the Lord for Ministry and all things ( as scripture teaches). The were free to let the Word of Christ dwell in them to teach and admonish one another and use all God given gifts. As Peter said, as every man hat received the gift even so minster the same one to another as good steward of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak let him speak...This is hindered by one man quenching the spirit in the body and Christ effectual working in the measure of every part ( Eph 4:15,16). To look at the back of each others head facing the man on the exalted place and waiting for him only to speak, does hinder the function of the church and there is no interaction or edifying of one another as scripture commands ( 1 Cor 14;26-38). The mutual edification and using of gifts as all are led by God every time they gather is a COMMAND of God for the church. Can any take this lightly?

In architecture form follows function. If the function of a meeting place is for one man lecture type of assembly, where a exalted man dominates over all as a Lord and he alone can speak in a pre arranged sermon or liturgy, then the form of that place will be with all facing forward to the exalted man on the platform. But if the function is for all to edify each other and have a meal together and fellowship etc ( as the early church did) then the form of such a place will be a home where al sita around one another facing each other to see the person speaking to them. This change in history quench he'd the spirit in the body and controlled believers to listen only to the man at the front. It did not teach them to wait on the Lord for revelation, prophecy, teaching, doctrine gifts, exhortation, testimony songs praise prayer etc.

some verses to consider here,

Proverbs 27:17 [Full Chapter]
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

1 Thessalonians 2:17
But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire."

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face toface, that our joy may be full."

3 John 1:14
But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face..."

and when the Lord was eating the supper they were facing each other sitting around with him

To see each others faces helps believers and if all can edify one another as scripture says, seeing the person your talking to is how this is done. Not speaking to the back of his head. But the form today is forcing men to look to the exalted man on the platform for all ministry and speaking. This is wrong and unscriptural, and a tradition of men that makes the word of God of no effect and a commandment of men that teaches for doctrines the commandments of men.

Whereas house churches are not inadmissable,

They are more than not inadmissible, they are the pattern sown in the whole new testament. the inadmissible part is the traditions of en later that began to set up an old testament type of worship with a priest and altars and where the spirit is quenched in the gatherings and where all are forces to face and hear only from the exalted man over them who is more like a Lord or Master over them than the biblical elders in every gathering.

Scripture, if read non-eisegetically, makes it quite clear that we should follow the pattern of the Temple, particularly the cruciform Third Temple we encounter in the vision of St. Ezekiel. These structures become living eikons of the incarnate Logos.

No no scripture of the New testament says this. They are not living eikons of the incarnate Logos. This is a great error but I already spoke a bit to it

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
He also cannot get tired

There are several instances in the Gospels where our Lord, who was God incarnate, became tired. By becoming a man God subjected Himself to the full range of human experiences, to the point of dying on the Cross.

As for the other things you list; these are not limitations on divine omnipotence but rather are due to the perfect love inherit in God.

Upvote 0