Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Waiting worship is not scriptural. The basis for the Orthodox liturgy is expressly set out in 1 Corinthians 11 and elsewhere.

Yes waiting on the Lord for all things is very scriptural

here are just a small sample of scriptures to consider

"6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation:"( Romans 12 6-8 KJV)

"...
when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying" (1 Cor . 14:26 KJV)

"
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." ( 1 Cor 14:30,31 KJV)

"5 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." ( Colossians 3:15,16 KJV)

"
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." ( Ephesians 4:15,16 KJV)

Isaiah 40:31 [Full Chapter]
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint"

Proverbs 16:1
"The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord."

We have to differentiate between the Eucharist, and ordinary meals. 1 Corinthians 11:27-34"

there is no Eucharist as you mention. The early church broke bread together and during the meal they took the bread and cup as part of the meal. These early meals were known as love feast. We see in 1 Cor 11 that they are even getting drunk at the supper and eating food, and some went hungry. This was not a small piece of bread and a shot glass of wine as some say.

This is why in Orthodoxy our parish churches are officially called "Temples." That said, they are normally referred to as churches in the English language.

and I believe ( according to scripture) that this is a great error. The church is the body of Christ the temple of the Lord who dwells in each believer.

Your objection to the use of the word "church" is a critique of the English language and related Germanic languages; it is inapplicable in many languages, for example, Greek, where the word Ekklesia refers to the congregation.

Scripture defines for us how Jesus was using that word church ( ekklesia). It means the body of Christ and the spiritual house of God in scripture. Jesus is not building the greek ekklesia. But HIS church. Just as he is not building a holy Temple of the pagans, who used that word for their temples. But he gives it a real spiritual meaning.

Also the word church in its deepest origin is where the word circus or circle derive and it means to gather together around in a circle. It later came to mean the house of a lord. But both fit with scripture. The church (called out believers) gathered together as living stones of the house of God where he as the Lord dwells in.

The word church is a good word. But from scripture you will see clearly that it refers to people not a building. You can read verses like, bring it to the ears of the church. The man made babylonian edifices that are built everywhere to day do not have ears.

I cold go into a deep study of the word "church" but it would be a long one and not needed for this talk.

And they are correct. That we call the temples churches is a linguistic quirk.

no it is a error and creates another church that Christ is not building.

It does create confusion; it would be better in theory to call the buildings Temples.

No it would be better to meet in homes as the apostolic pattern was and to call the church who they are the body of Christ . The right expression according to scripture is that the church meets in their house.

Scripture stresses the importance of maintaining the Apostolic tradition, in Galatians 1:8 and 2 Corinthians 2:15. Thus, the Patristic writings are a vital link in interpreting Scripture.

I am talking about the tradition of God's order and church function as Paul taught to every church everywhere. It is in scripture clearly seen in the words he spoke by the Spirit.

Also, we do not need other men to interpret scripture, we need Christ working in the body as we listen to him in the new man. The old man can not teach us and we do not need that as John said,

"27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." ( 1 John 2:27 KJV)

That which is written was written by men under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and was furthermore edited (that is to say, the canon was determined) by additional men, in the fourth century (St. Athanasius).

I belief that God watched over the KING JAMES Bible as it came out, as he did the OT scriptures.

Neither would I. I place absolute authority in Holy Tradition, of which Scripture is the center.

Only from scripture and the traditions found in scripture Paul delivered such to believers. No man should go beyond that which is written.

There is nothing in scripture which forbids referring to the buildings as churches. The main reason for not doing so would be to avoid confusion with the Church, but alas, that ship has sailed.

Yes there is. It is found in the scriptural definition of the church and it is not a man made building in any way. The confusion has already been mass oiled and many have been captured in these religious systems. We see a possible warning in Mystery Babylon, Mother of harlots. Babylon means "confusion", and whats shocking there is that God;s people are in such a confusion. But he calls them to come out of her.

The New Testament describes a visible, organized Church, an entity led by the Apostles underneath Christ, acting under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, not an invisible, ethereal entity.

wrong, the church is subject unto Christ. And the oversight is in elders plural in every gathering as scripture teaches. These elders may be as Peter who was an elder and apostle or as other gifting as pastor evangelist teachers prophets.

The church is both a spiritual body of Christ as we see in scripture and a physical living stones gathered in Christ. If the men gathering are not in Christ when they gather they are not part of the church.

"13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many." (1 Cor 12;13,14 KJV)

Clearly the church as the body of Christ is a spiritual body. But also a physical gathering in that life.

Colossians 2:5
"For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ."

Obviously the church is spiritual as well, because even though Paul wasn't with them connected physically, he was with them connected in spiritual life and in the body of Christ. He could see their order in Christ. This is God's order in the spirit and hid from the eyes of those not in this order.

1 Peter 2:5
"Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ."

all believers are part of that spiritual house and priest.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are several instances in the Gospels where our Lord, who was God incarnate, became tired. By becoming a man God subjected Himself to the full range of human experiences, to the point of dying on the Cross.

As for the other things you list; these are not limitations on divine omnipotence but rather are due to the perfect love inherit in God.

"28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding." ( Isaiah 40:28 KJV)

The physical son of man Jesus felt all the sufferings of our human nature. But the Son of God part cannot get tired. Jesus is both God and man, does spirit get tired with flesh?, Yes the Spirit can feel all the aspects of his flesh. But this is a theological study seeing that scripture says God cannot get tired but Jesus (who is God manifest in the flesh ) got tired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
"28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding." ( Isaiah 40:28 KJV)

The physical son of man Jesus felt all the sufferings of our human nature. But the Son of God part cannot get tired.

That is Nestorianism, or worse, and a huge error.

Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man; the two being united hypostatically in one person.

It is entirely correct to say that God was crucified for us.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is a important admission by you, for if Thomas did not call a man made building a church or temple,

I didn't say he did not call it a Temple. I do not know that he called the building an "ekklesia" or not. I also don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
But you did say church buildings are not a tradition of men and I quote your words

They are not a tradition of men. They are divinely inspired.

However, whether one calls them in English a church or a temple is of only minor importance.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man; the two being united hypostatically in one person.

I believe in the Trinity and that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. You cannot try to catch me in that error.

I believe strongly in the Trinity

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

according to this scripture God cannot get tired

it is your theological issue to figure that out with jesus getting tired.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

However, whether one calls them in English a church or a temple is of only minor importance.
No they are not, and according to scripture you are wrong, clearly. But according to your history and views of men going beyond that which is written you seem to just believe whatever your gathering has said even if it contradicts scripture.

I canot do that, neither should any believer

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe that God was crucified for our sins.

but I ask you who was the Son of God before a body was prepared for him? Could he be tired before he took on flesh?

and yes when God was manifest in the flesh he felt all things we do.

My main point is that we have scripture that says God cannot get tired. How you deal with it is a issue,

You pose another whole post

does Spirit get tired, or flesh?
though our spirit feels the effects of our body do our spirits get tired?

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Part C

The great apostasy as you put it is not mentioned in Matthew 16:18. Jesus simply said the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church.

This precludes a Great Apostasy event in the history of the Church.

We know that few there be that find the truth and Jesus himself said,

Luke 18:8
"...Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

Jesus seemed to speak of a great falling away and lack of faith in the end times.

In the end times. The end of the world. Obviously, that does not refer to any period in the first millenium.

This does not contradict that the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church. There will always be a remnant and the church is still mightier than the world and debit.

Oh dear, I hope we are not going to descend into speculations about non-existant proto-Protestants somehow surviving outside Constantinian domination. These invariably make recourse to attempting to characterize sects which most Protestants would find repulsive, and which were nothing like Protestantism, such as the Paulician Gnostics, as being somehow proto-Protestant.

No devils or world error can prevail against the body of Christ. There will always be a church body. But there will also be a great falling away and many shall go captive not Mystery balloon, many of Gods people who he calls to come out of the false harlot.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 [Full Chapter]
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"

Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out ofher, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues

Again you use the words "church building" which is unbiblical.

It is in no sense contrary to Scripture.

No they met in synagogues for different reasons. Paul went to the synagogues to use the opportunity to speak to the jews about Jesus. He often met with opposition. Peter and the other Jews may have gone to the synagogues as well as the temple for the law and customs and they were still struggling with the law for a long time as scripture shows. The fact that they went to them does not justify them for gentle believers or jews) today.

Certainly it does.

They also cannot be used to justify the man made buildings being called the church. To call a man made building the church is my main contention here with your words.

Calling it a temple is an acceptable alternative.

No, there is no such thing in scripture or the order of God for a man made building called a church or temple. The new understanding of the word temple for Christians is this,

On the contrary, there is. We see a direct prophecy of the Christian temple in Ezekiel. Because the Millenium refers to the current period stretching from Pentecost until the present, the cruciform Temple shown to St. Ezekiel is obviously the Christian temple or church building.

1 Corinthians 3:16
"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

1 Corinthians 3:17
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

1 Corinthians 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

2 Corinthians 6:16
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

Ephesians 2:21
In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:"

Acts 7:48
Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made withhands; as saith the prophet,"

2 Corinthians 5:1

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

This idea of "icon" and the temple being an example of jesus Christ himself. While we can say the temple may have been symbolic of other aspects, we do not follow shadows in the new Covenant, only the bread and fruit of the vine are done in remembrance of his death till he comes. As Jesus said do in remembrance of me".

The Eucharist, as celebrated in the Holy Orthodox Church, is not a shadow. It is the actual body and blood of our Lord.

But I would question the use of so called "icons" in any gathering. I am not sure what your belief and practice is in this matter.

Because God became man and was crucified and risen, the use of icons to depict the Incarnate logos is not only permissable but required. Anyone who does not salute the icons is anathema according to the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

But if you have so called icons in the gathering of pictures of a man who is said to be jesus and Mary and other things I would disagree strongly with that. They are not jesus or Mary

They certainly are. The icons of the Orthodox church are visual expressions of the Gospel, of equal theological importance to the scriptural text itself. We also adorn our Evangelion, or Gospel book, with icons of the Lord and the four Evangelists.

and not to be used.

They are, according to the Orthodox Church.

But as far as the temple building or so called church building" that you refer to as an icon, this is not true at all. and no where to be found in scripture.

The Jewish temple was an icon of our Lord; indeed, the showbread and drink offerings prefigured the Eucharist.

In like manner, the Orthodox Christian Temple is also an icon of our Lord, for two reasons: it contains the faithful, whose bodies are Temples of the Holy Spirit, and it contains the Eucharist, which in our Church is the true body and blood of our Lord.

This would be a tradition of men that turn from the truth and make the word of God of no effect as I understand it from scripture.

No, it is part of the Holy Tradition of the Orthodox Church (see 2 Corinthians 2:15).

No this is nowhere in scripture. The early church met in homes all through the years for about 300 or so.

This is inaccurate. In addition to meeting in homes, they met in synagogues, in the Roman catacombs, in cemetaries, at the burial places of the Holy martyrs (for example, the graves of St. Peter and St. Paul in Rome), and occasionally, in purpose built buildings, such as the aforementioned churches in Kerala and Dura Europos.

They did not call their homes temples or the church.

They did, certainly. The proof for this is in the fact that the Orthodox Church continues to call our buildings this. Everything we do is either of apostolic provenance or derived from it.

But rather that the church met in the homes. They did not say the man made buildings of brick and mortar (or sand etc) were the church or in some sacramental union with the Lords supper.

I have not claimed that the church building itself is in a sacramental union with the Eucharist.

You have not one scripture to show that the early church ( from scripture0 ever called a man made building the church or temple to meet in.

I don't need one. Sola scriptura is a Protestant error, an overreaction on the part of Martin Luther to various Roman Catholic excesses.

Again you call a man made building a church building and this is false.

It is not false. At worst, it is ambiguous. However, I don't really have a problem with it.

Again questionable history and the man Saint Gregory, (so called) had a vision and then a place was built. But this place was built and rebuilt over the centuries and almost destroyed in the 4th century I believe. The original place may have simply been a large house structure.

Most church buildings, indeed all, can be described as "large house structures."

But the point is that whatever men did here and there in their error,

It shocks me that you would consider the first conversion of a nation to Christ to be in any sense erroneous.

Our Lord said, "by their fruits ye shall know them."

What fruits has Armenian Christianity yielded? The conversion of another nation, Georgia, to Christ, and the largest number of Christian martyrs from a single event (the Turkish genocide of 1915), in human history.

Etchmiadzin is the center of the Armenian Christian faith; the appearance of our Lord at that spot led the entire nation to Christ. That miracle is authenticated by the fruits it yielded.

To call that an error is offensive to a shocking degree.

was not scriptural, and the order of God was not being followed by many. To call a man made building the church or temple of God is false according to scripture.

In your effort to attempt to deny what I am saying, to pivot to criticizing "temple," an alternate term I condescended to supply you with owing to your concerns regarding Church, you have inadvertantly contradicted Scripture, which on numerous occasions refers to the Jewish Temples, which were built by men, as Temples.

No matter what men from history you may quote.

In this case, I am quoting Scripture itself.

We must not go beyond that which is written. Or to put men above that which is written, as many have done over the centuries).

Sola scriptura is unbiblical; Scripture belongs to the Church and is a part of Tradition.

By the way most historians agree that the early church for centuries met in homes.

No they don't.

The main change was when Constantine started to recognize Christianity and began a building project all over. These Basilicas came to be known as "so called "churches" and we have been in the same mess ever since and today so many still believe they go to church on the corner.

Dura Europos uses the plan of a Basillica and predates St. Constantine.

No believer has ever gone to church,

This believer has.

Yes edification of one another is greatly hindered in such sacramental and liturgical gatherings where a man is on a exalted platform wearing long robes and following a program.

This statement suggests to me you have no real, in-depth knowledge of sacramental, liturgical services, if your characterization of them is limited to "a man on an exalted platform wearing long robes and following a program."

That is certainly the most banal and unedifying description of the Divine Liturgy I have ever encountered.

The scripture speaks of none of this in the new testament.

On the contrary, the entire Orthodox liturgy is derived from 1 Corinthians 11, Matthew 28:19 and other vital passages. Nearly every word sung is from Scripture.

The believers simply met in homes facing one another and waited on the Lord for Ministry and all things ( as scripture teaches).

Scripture doesn't teach any of that.

What you describe as a mode of worship originated with George Fox and the Quakers in the 16th century. Nowhere is it taught in the New Testament. You can't reconcile it to the New Testament pattern of worship (which continues unchanged in Holy Orthodoxy).

The were free to let the Word of Christ dwell in them to teach and admonish one another and use all God given gifts. As Peter said, as every man hat received the gift even so minster the same one to another as good steward of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak let him speak...This is hindered by one man quenching the spirit in the body and Christ effectual working in the measure of every part ( Eph 4:15,16). To look at the back of each others head facing the man on the exalted place and waiting for him only to speak, does hinder the function of the church and there is no interaction or edifying of one another as scripture commands

This is entirely untrue, and a great distortion.

( 1 Cor 14;26-38). The mutual edification and using of gifts as all are led by God every time they gather is a COMMAND of God for the church. Can any take this lightly?

In architecture form follows function. If the function of a meeting place is for one man lecture type of assembly,

The Divine Liturgy is not a "one man lecture type of assembly."

That would be more characteristic of the unpleasant "four bare walls and a sermon" variety of low church Protestantism.

where a exalted man dominates over all as a Lord and he alone can speak in a pre arranged sermon or liturgy, then the form of that place will be with all facing forward to the exalted man on the platform. But if the function is for all to edify each other and have a meal together and fellowship etc ( as the early church did) then the form of such a place will be a home where al sita around one another facing each other to see the person speaking to them.

Whereas the "one man lecture type of assembly" as you describe it is essentially a Protestant innovation of the 16th century, your preferred alternative is a 17th century innovation.

I prefer worshipping in the manner of the 1st century.

This change in history quench he'd the spirit in the body and controlled believers to listen only to the man at the front. It did not teach them to wait on the Lord for revelation, prophecy, teaching, doctrine gifts, exhortation, testimony songs praise prayer etc.

some verses to consider here,

Proverbs 27:17 [Full Chapter]
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

1 Thessalonians 2:17
But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire."

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face toface, that our joy may be full."

3 John 1:14
But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face..."

and when the Lord was eating the supper they were facing each other sitting around with him

To see each others faces helps believers and if all can edify one another as scripture says, seeing the person your talking to is how this is done. Not speaking to the back of his head. But the form today is forcing men to look to the exalted man on the platform for all ministry and speaking. This is wrong and unscriptural, and a tradition of men that makes the word of God of no effect and a commandment of men that teaches for doctrines the commandments of men.

They are more than not inadmissible, they are the pattern sown in the whole new testament. the inadmissible part is the traditions of en later that began to set up an old testament type of worship with a priest and altars

The Eucharist, the priesthood, et cetera, are clearly described in the New Testament. Even the words presbyter (which was rendered into English as Priest) and Eucharistos.

and where the spirit is quenched in the gatherings

The Spirit is not quenched in the Orthodox liturgy. In our liturgy, the Spirit descends upon bread and wine and transforms them into the actual Body and Blood of our Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I believe in the Trinity and that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. You cannot try to catch me in that error.

I believe strongly in the Trinity

Do you believe Jesus Christ was ever tired?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the end times. The end of the world. Obviously, that does not refer to any period in the first millenium.

I believe that there were always believers who had faith, some did meet in gatherings (in weakness) outside of the Roman Catholic church. But many were bound up under the Catholic churches enforced worship and under fear and great darkness. I also believe that Mystery Babylon Mother of harlots, is connected with the Roman Catholic Church, though the roots go way back to the source of confusion and false religion and stems into Rome and many assemblies today. She (the Romand Catholic church) had many daughters from her. And many denominations trace a connection. But this great confusion or Babylon and false woman has captured many of God's people and yes true believers are in this Babylon. God says to his people to come out of it.

The exact time of when believers began to be captured in these religious forms and confusion can be argued. But there has always been God's people through out all ages. In the last days it gets worse and a great falling away and departing from the faith and jesus says will he find faith?

and in the Ot days we see similar, Gods people were taken Captive in babylon and they also were in bondage in Egypt for a time.

Oh dear, I hope we are not going to descend into speculations about non-existant proto-Protestants somehow surviving outside Constantinian domination. These invariably make recourse to attempting to characterize sects which most Protestants would find repulsive, and which were nothing like Protestantism, such as the Paulician Gnostics, as being somehow proto-Protestant.

I already answered that above.

On the contrary, there is. We see a direct prophecy of the Christian temple in Ezekiel. Because the Millenium refers to the current period stretching from Pentecost until the present, the cruciform Temple shown to St. Ezekiel is obviously the Christian temple or church building..

No it doesn't. The Jewish temple and the issues of endtimea etc are not in any way saying we should call a man made building or temple the church. That is confusion. The temple in Ezekiel is not the man made church building or temple

The Eucharist, as celebrated in the Holy Orthodox Church, is not a shadow. It is the actual body and blood of our Lord.

Well, I strongly disagree and according to scripture it doesn't exist and there are other great concerns with anyone worshipping bread and wine as God.But that would be about a 70 page post in another place.

If you understood what the true supper is and that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, and the inward life is where we know Christ and eat his flesh and drink his blood. You may say differently. Even the Ot saints did eat the same spiritual meat and spiritual drink 1 Cor 10. And that it is the word of God that is quick and powerful and that men eat this word, and live by it. This word is Christ and the truth , the true Light shining inwardly in the heart.

Because God became man and was crucified and risen, the use of icons to depict the Incarnate logos is not only permissable but required. Anyone who does not salute the icons is anathema according to the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

This is a grievous thing you say here and almost another gospel. Almost worship of images . These images are not even the Lord or mary or the saints etc. But even if they were I believe Paul would rip his clothes and say Nooooooo! stop.

To even separate from others over that, wow. Such error in my understanding of scripture. I would have to stand in doubt of any who would put such a anathema upon others for not salute the icons. I do not salute them so according to your offesive judgment I am anathema for not doing so. You just anathematized the vast majority of believers who cannot and will not bow down, or salute some picture of person as if it is a holy relic.

The carnal ordinances and outward type of the law were done away in the new Covenant. Thos who worship God must worship him in Spirit and in truth.

This one issue is very grievous to hear and the way your councils see it.

They certainly are. The icons of the Orthodox church are visual expressions of the Gospel, of equal theological importance to the scriptural text itself. We also adorn our Evangelion, or Gospel book, with icons of the Lord and the four Evangelists.

You almost speak another gospel and dare make then equal to scripture, wow. This is almost similar to me as scapulars for salvation.

To much correction to get into here for this issue. Another post maybe

The Jewish temple was an icon of our Lord; indeed, the showbread and drink offerings prefigured the Eucharist.

No they don't. The shewbread figured the 12 tribes of Israel and as believers paul said we being many are one bread. This also has a type of the communion of the body in Christ as one body. The passover lamb signified the death of Christ and the whole supper was a shadow and type of that salvation. The blood of the lamb was the figure of the death of Christ shedding his blood also the cup Jesus drank figured that blood.

In like manner, the Orthodox Christian Temple is also an icon of our Lord, for two reasons: it contains the faithful, whose bodies are Temples of the Holy Spirit, and it contains the Eucharist, which in our Church is the true body and blood of our Lord.

No there is no such thing in the New testament for gentile believers, ( or the Jews for that matter).

This is all just more of your made up stuff, with no scripture at all.

This is inaccurate. In addition to meeting in homes, they met in synagogues, in the Roman catacombs, in cemetaries, at the burial places of the Holy martyrs (for example, the graves of St. Peter and St. Paul in Rome), and occasionally, in purpose built buildings, such as the aforementioned churches in Kerala and Dura Europos.

No they met in homes for the ministry breaking bread, fellowship prayer continuing in the apostles doctrine gifts etc. They met in other places for various reasons. But the primary order and apostolic order from God was to meet in homes as the apostle Paul set the same order in every church. We see many churches in homes all over the New testament writings. This was by God's design and as the apostles were led to do so. Unless you want to say they were not led by God to do so, which iI believe they were.

I don't need one. Sola scriptura is a Protestant error, an overreaction on the part of Martin Luther to various Roman Catholic excesses.

Did I say sola scripture in my discussion? I believe the rule of our faith and practice is to live in Christ in the spirit and to be led by him and the Spirit gave forth the scriptures so that second witness will always be in line with the leading of the Spirit inwardly. Also we need the body of Christ where Jesus Christ is working in every part as they wait on hm and are led by the Spirit in edifying one another. This three fold aspect is vital. 1. God working in every believer to make them perfect unto every good work and teaching all things, 2 The Holy scriptures that are given by God through the body 3 the body of believers who corporately express the life and gifts and ministry of Christ and love to each other in the Spirit.

I never said sola scripture. For the scripture without the new birth and inward leading of God in the Spirit are unknown. Thos who claim to make scripture their only rule may be at times like the Pharisees who thought they knew the scripture but did not know the Lord right in front of them. But those who claim to have the Spirit to walk and disregard scripture are also not in the light. Because if they speak not according to the scripture there is no light in them. And those who say they have the spirit and scripture but not connected to other believers or draw from the body to be edified by Christ in all, are also disjointed and in danger of forsaking the body ministry in Christ and not wise.

It shocks me that you would consider the first conversion of a nation to Christ to be in any sense erroneous.

I am not talking about peoples conversion, the Lord knows the reality of all who believe. But I am speaking about the spurious claims in history by certain men and how the religious groups try to attach themselves to such things for credibility etc.

Our Lord said, "by their fruits ye shall know them."

And some have fruits that would anathematize believers for not saluting a man made icon of a person that is not even the real person. This is not good fruit for any to anathematize any for such things.

The fruit os the Spirit also do not speak lies and call a man made building a church or temple. Believers in jesus speak the truth no matter how hard it may be to do so.

What fruits has Armenian Christianity yielded? The conversion of another nation, Georgia, to Christ, and the largest number of Christian martyrs from a single event (the Turkish genocide of 1915), in human history.

Now you are blanketing a large group of believers over a long history of revivals and salvations. You sound uncharitable here and this is not good fruits you show. I could spend the next 20 years typing all the good things many believers have done in America and Canada. It would be a massive text unending.

In your effort to attempt to deny what I am saying, to pivot to criticizing "temple," an alternate term I condescended to supply you with owing to your concerns regarding Church, you have inadvertantly contradicted Scripture, which on numerous occasions refers to the Jewish Temples, which were built by men, as Temples.

No God also rebuked them for wanting a temple and one man to rule over them as a king. But he allowed both for a time. Today we see these two error magnified everywhere. We see Popes and one man pastors over all, and the large babylonian type edifices unbiblically called churches everywhere. The same type of errors.

The temple of the OT was temporary and allowed by God but he did say this

Acts 7:49
"Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house willye build me?..."

the pharisees and many Jews like many believers today cried out about the greatness of the temple and Stephen rebuked them for it. They made it more than it was we read similar things here

Jeremiah 7:4
Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the Lord, Thetemple of the Lord, The temple of the Lord, are these."

"27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?' ( 1 Kings 8:27)

"66 Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool:
where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word."( Isaiah 66;1,2 KJV)

The entire old Covent with its temples and sacrifices and carnal ordinances was fading away decaying ready to vanish Hebrews 8.

Dura Europos uses the plan of a Basillica and predates St. Constantine.

A church meeting in a house again, as i have been saying. Not the large basilicas of Constantine that became so called churches.

This statement suggests to me you have no real, in-depth knowledge of sacramental, liturgical services, if your characterization of them is limited to "a man on an exalted platform wearing long robes and following a program."

Wrong I was a Roman catholic for many years. I am fully aware of the details of the so called liturgy and service. I chose to word it as i see it scripturally and the men exalted over others as Lords controlling the believers on a platform. I do not want to call them priest, or ministers of Christ. I do not want to call the platform they are exalted on a altar or sacrificial place etc. No altar was to have man made steps up to it and all OT sacrifices and altars are done away in the new covenant

That is certainly the most banal and unedifying description of the Divine Liturgy I have ever encountered.

Or , as my brother Paul did, I will use great plains of speech and tell it like it is. I don't see your so called liturgy as a good thing in any way. I could be m,such more severe and rebuking in my tone. But I choose to be gracious here. Those were my gracious words.

On the contrary, the entire Orthodox liturgy is derived from 1 Corinthians 11, Matthew 28:19 and other vital passages. Nearly every word sung is from Scripture.

no it is not.

What you describe as a mode of worship originated with George Fox and the Quakers in the 16th century. Nowhere is it taught in the New Testament. You can't reconcile it to the New Testament pattern of worship (which continues unchanged in Holy Orthodoxy).

No, I teach what I do from scripture. Clearly shown. The order ministry of the body, where they met how they met what they did when they met. What the church is and the function of the church etc etc. I have planted with others many home meetings and seen the wonderous order of God among them many times and for many many years.

And though some groups in history seemed to get closer to the order of God and waiting on the Lord this is a good thing. The Quakers, ( though I do not agree with all their ideas) , did have many aspects of this order understood to some degree. Robert Barkleys writings on the Light of Christ water baptism and the communion of the body and blood of Christ and worship would be unanswerable by you and your group. I suggest you consider reading them. Before you criticize them. If you have read them, then that is another talk for another post.

The Divine Liturgy is not a "one man lecture type of assembly."

It is a on man as the priest ritual even worse than some so called "pastors" who dominate over others with their prearranged sermons to the time clock

Whereas the "one man lecture type of assembly" as you describe it is essentially a Protestant innovation of the 16th century, your preferred alternative is a 17th century innovation.

No the one man pastor ministry over all as a controller and master type of character stems from the one man priest over the catholic Church. The duties of the pastors were similar to the priest and many thing and baggage the reformers brought from their mother the Catholic Church. The reformers are to be commended for some of the branches they lopped off but not so much for the things they retained and brought into the reformation.

I prefer worshipping in the manner of the 1st century.

No you seem not to. I have been describing the home meetings in fellowship and ministry of the body and a meal together as a love feast and many other aspects of the first century home meetings and you attack it in defence of your superstructure of man made traditions that are contrary to scripture on almost every point.

The Eucharist, the priesthood, et cetera, are clearly described in the New Testament. Even the words presbyter (which was rendered into English as Priest) and Eucharistos.

No presbyter is a group of elders. The early church had elders ( plural) in every church ( singular) And they were not to have dominion over others but to be helpers. Overseers not overlords as many are today. The verse ,"not that we have dominion over your faith but are helpers" the word dominion means to control, as supreme in authority, as a master in title. But this is exactly what many try to have over others today. Jesus said the rulers of the gentles have dominion over them and they that are great are over them in authority, but it shall not be so among you. The believers are to be as servants in oversight and ministers. A servant has no authority in the world as a king does. But with God they do. The authority is in the Spirit in the word of God as they speak it and live it.

The Spirit is not quenched in the Orthodox liturgy. In our liturgy, the Spirit descends upon bread and wine and transforms them into the actual Body and Blood of our Lord.

Just saying something unbiblical doesn't make it so for you. The Spirit is quenched in every believer there who cannot be led at any time in revelation , prophecy, doctrine exhortation in the use of any gifts from God and testimonies. Instead they are all quenched by the religious ritual and all on a tight time frame. This is not the liberty of the Spirit and where the spirit of the Lord is there s liberty.

Many have a form of godliness but deny the power, from such we are to turn away. The power is the power of the Spirit.

The church ministering in the Spirit doesn't wait for bread to become the body of the Lord, they are the body of Christ and he is their head as they are led by him and as he effectually works in every part to build his church. Ephesians 4:15,16

"15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." ( Eph 4:15,16 KJV)

When I talk to you I sadly feel like i am talking to someone of a entirely different religion than the scriptural church and saints of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

“You mistakenly think we conceal what we worship since we have no temples or altars. Yet how can anyone make an image of God? Man himself is the image of God. How can anyone build a temple to Him, when the whole world can’t contain Him? Even I, a mere human, travel far and wide. So how can anyone shut up the majesty of so great a Person within one small building? Isn’t it better for Him to be dedicated in our minds and consecrated in our innermost hearts – rather than in a building?” — Mark Felix in Octavius, 2nd Century A.D.

from ancient Christian witnesses

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“You mistakenly think we conceal what we worship since we have no temples or altars. Yet how can anyone make an image of God? Man himself is the image of God. How can anyone build a temple to Him, when the whole world can’t contain Him? Even I, a mere human, travel far and wide. So how can anyone shut up the majesty of so great a Person within one small building? Isn’t it better for Him to be dedicated in our minds and consecrated in our innermost hearts – rather than in a building?” — Mark Felix in Octavius, 2nd Century A.D.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,553.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How pagans spoke of Christians , from 3rd century writings of Tertullian

"...They despise the temples as dead-houses, they reject the gods, they laugh at sacred things; wretched, they pity, if they are allowed, ...they despise honours and purple robes. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Marcus Felix is not a recognized saint; his work contains Pagan influences from Stoicism and is to be rejected.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How pagans spoke of Christians , from 3rd century writings of Tertullian

"...They despise the temples as dead-houses, they reject the gods, they laugh at sacred things; wretched, they pity, if they are allowed, ...they despise honours and purple robes. "

This, very obviously, refers to the Pagan temples and not the Christian temples.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
yes he also suffered grew in wisdom and knowledge and in all points was tempted like us yet without sin.

It is Nestorianism to believe that and not ascribe it to both natures via the hypostatic union.

• Winner
Upvote 0