JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 33:21 then My covenant may also be broken with David My servant, so that he shall not have a son to reign on his throne, and with the Levites, the priests, My ministers.

What does Jeremiah mean by this in terms of God's covenant with the Levites? Does God still have a covenant with them? I thought all that was added because of transgression and God's covenant with the Levites ended with calvery. Does anyone have any information on this, esp. sense we hear so very little about covenant theology now a days. Thanks, JohnR7

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
This question is addressed in the New Testament. Galatians 3:16-19 shows that God started his eternal covenant with Abraham which was fulfilled in Christ Jesus and his jewish Church. In between that time God added a "parenthesis" covenant (the Old Covenant) to protect Israel against its own wickedness that threatened to ruin the promise to the true People of God -- the righteous sons of the Covenant.

So there is no more a tribe of Levites, and has not been since AD 70. Furthermore, a NEW priesthood has been put in place which is based upon the Covenant and Priesthood under which Abraham lived (the Melchizedek Priesthood) -- see Hebrews 5:9-10. Blood sacrifices have forever ceased in God's plan, for by ONE sacrifice he acccomplished what all the blood of bulls could never do -- the cleansing of the conscience of the believer (Hebrews 10:1-18). The Aaronic/Levitical priesthood has forever been abolished (Hebrews 7:11-22) and the Melchizedek priesthood accomplishes the goal of eternal righteousness for believers by faith.

Just as Jeremiah 31:31-33 and 33:14 promised a better covenant for the houses of Israel and Judah, Hebrews 8:6-13 shows that they RECEIVED it via the new lawgiver and King: Jesus the Anointed. The New Covenant with Israel promised by Jeremiah the prophet has been established 19 centuries ago:

Hebrews 8:6-13
But now he has obtained a more excellent ministry, by so much as he is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. For finding fault with them, he said, "Behold, the days come," says the Lord, "That I will make a new covenant WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH; Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, In the day that I took them by the hand to lead them forth out of the land of Egypt; For they didn't continue in my covenant, And I disregarded them," says the Lord. "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days," says the Lord; "I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be to them a God, And they will be to me a people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, Every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' For all will know me, From the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more." In that he says, "A new covenant," he has made the first old. But that which is becoming old and grows aged is near to vanishing away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.