God wins in the end. But do we not need to be concerned about fighting against the enemy?

Do we not need to be concerned about fighting against the enemy?

• I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is our spiritual battle won? Do we not need to be concerned about fighting against the enemy?
The enemy strengthens us and helps form Christ in us. Just as the gym helps build health and stamina.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christ is now given all power and domaine. What does the war in the spiritual realm really look like? We do get some indications of that from the Scripture. The vision of Joshua when God allowed him to see the angelic armies who were also engaged in this very real material battle. The message was: "You've already won the victory; now go take the land". The vision of the "Valley of dry bones". They came to life and they are an exceeding great army. That army is the household of God.

"...the spiritual battle is a real one. "....that victory was had."

While we can by faith win victories for GOD by faith, we are told not to be ignorant of satan's devices or schemes.

"...in order that Satan should not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes." (2 Corinthians 2:11).

We see Eve deceived by the serpent and both her and Adam ate of the wrong tree under the devil's temptation. Adam and Eve were once in a right relationship with GOD, and they fell from that right relationship by the enemy.

Saul was a king who started off right with GOD, but he disobeyed God by acting as a priest in making a sacrifice because he was not patient to wait for the real priest to arrive to do so. He did not wait upon the Lord, and obey God's Word. His streak of disobedience then started even more after this point, and he was tormented by demons and God's spirit departed from him.

1 Timothy 5:15 talks about how widows who have already turned aside after Satan. You cannot turn aside from Satan if you are already in his grip. Rick cannot turn back to Pittsburgh airport if he was never there. Bob cannot turn aside to school teaching if he never did it before.

A person can only turn back to something if they have not left it in some way. You cannot turn aside back to Satan if you were never free from him. You cannot return back to Pittsburgh airport if you never left it. You cannot return back to being a school teacher if you never stopped being a school teacher.

We are told to put on the armor of GOD, so that we are able to stand against the wiles or schemes of the devil. For we wrestle or fight against spiritual wickedness in high places.

11 "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:11-12).

Why bother to tell us to stand against the schemes of the devil, if it was nothing we do not need to worry about? There are certain aspects of our armor we need to put on in order to stand against the enemy. It doesn't sound like we have automatic victory here. We have to put on the whole armor of GOD in order to stand (have victory) against the devil.

17 "And take... and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;" (Ephesians 6:17-18).

We are to contend for the faith (Jude 1:3). We are to preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine (2 Timothy 4:2).

In Matthew 24:24, Jesus told his disciples “False Christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.”

In 1 Kings 13, the man of God listened to another prophet, and disobeyed the word of the LORD and he was killed by a lion. No doubt, the enemy wants us to disobey God's Word, and he is ever working to make us do so. Yes, we are ultimately being tempted and drawn away by our own lusts. But the enemy can tempt believers and draw them away from the faith. They have to pass the test and or go through the trial of fire involving their faith. Every believer will face tests within their faith. Job faced his test of faith for GOD and God used the enemy to do so. Job's health, possessions, and children were taken from him. Even his own wife turned on him. He had nowere to go but GOD, but he had free will to leave and stop serving GOD. He could have crumbled under the pressure and said that this was all unfair of God to do this to him. But Job did not do that. Job was tested by the devil under God's permission, but he passed his test of faith. We also must fight the good fight of faith. The battle is not won yet. We need to stand strong in the Lord in order to win, but we should not presume that the battle is already won or that we already have the victory.

The enemy is ultimately ourselves. But the enemy tries to get a believer to follow their own dark path or lustful desires that would draw them away from GOD. So no. The battle is not won. The victory is not had. We have to still run the race in order to gain the prize. We have to still fight the good fight of faith. We still need to make sure we have on the whole armor of God in order to stand in the evil day and to stand against Satan's schemes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I believe we should be very concerned about fighting the enemy because the enemy knows our weaknesses.

Of course Christ has already won the war, but the enemy is still waging battle. However, I don’t think the enemy actually cares about us one way or the other, it’s Christ he hates and since we are the objects of God’s love, we are the targets.

When I see pastors, worship leaders and theology scholars in the news and social media renouncing their faith, I am sure they were under fierce attack.

I know where the enemy attacks me the most. That’s where I am on guard the most. It’s not a lack of faith, but it takes a deliberate surrender to God and complete reliance on him. Sometimes monthly. Sometimes daily. Sometimes hourly.

The good news is, it’s not my fight to win, it’s his and I’ll let him.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
1 Timothy 5:15 talks about how widows who have already turned aside after Satan. You cannot turn aside from Satan if you are already in his grip.

So what you are saying is that someone can be translated out of the kingdom of Satan into the Kingdom of His dear son and then.... back into the kingdom of Satan?

Who's doing the "translated out of the kingdom of...."?

Why bother to tell us to stand against the schemes of the devil, if it was nothing we do not need to worry about? There are certain aspects of our armor we need to put on in order to stand against the enemy. It doesn't sound like we have automatic victory here. We have to put on the whole armor of GOD in order to stand (have victory) against the devil.

The battle is over; Christ won the victory. The kingdom of Satan is in ruin and we are invading that kingdom plucking the elect out of the rubble. That doesn't mean there still aren't mine buried in places and snipers who don't want to acknowledge the war is over. Thus the reason to remain armored. This will go on until Judgement Day.

But the enemy can tempt believers and draw them away from the faith. They have to pass the test and or go through the trial of fire involving their faith. Every believer will face tests within their faith.

Again, your perspective here depends on what you believe about redemption. If you believe you can lose your salvation, than maybe you need to study the Scriptures more; because he who's redemption is based on the action of their own will (as opposed to human will being a reaction to the work of God) will always fail!

He had nowere to go but GOD, but he had free will to leave and stop serving GOD.

Do we really have "free will"?

But the enemy tries to get a believer to follow their own dark path or lustful desires that would draw them away from GOD.

If you have become a "new creature in Christ" than where is this "dark path of lustful desires"? Believers still sin; but don't live a lifestyle of sin. The awakening caused by the Holy Ghost totally changes a person's perspective on the purpose of their life.

So no. The battle is not won.

Then Christ is a liar because He says He now reigns; having all power and dominion.

Ephesians 1
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Colossians 1
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Jude

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
So what you are saying is that someone can be translated out of the kingdom of Satan into the Kingdom of His dear son and then.... back into the kingdom of Satan?

Who's doing the "translated out of the kingdom of...."?

The battle is over; Christ won the victory. The kingdom of Satan is in ruin and we are invading that kingdom plucking the elect out of the rubble. That doesn't mean there still aren't mine buried in places and snipers who don't want to acknowledge the war is over. Thus the reason to remain armored. This will go on until Judgement Day.

Again, your perspective here depends on what you believe about redemption. If you believe you can lose your salvation, than maybe you need to study the Scriptures more; because he who's redemption is based on the action of their own will (as opposed to human will being a reaction to the work of God) will always fail!

Do we really have "free will"?

If you have become a "new creature in Christ" than where is this "dark path of lustful desires"? Believers still sin; but don't live a lifestyle of sin. The awakening caused by the Holy Ghost totally changes a person's perspective on the purpose of their life.

Then Christ is a liar because He says He now reigns; having all power and dominion.

Ephesians 1
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Colossians 1
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Jude

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

I love those verse in Colossians 1 at the end. To be strong in Christ we need to recognize who we are in Christ. Especially if we are to cast out demons.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To add to the verses that @The Righterzpen shared:

1 John 4:4 - You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because the One in you is greater than the one in the world.

Chip Ingram did an excellent (IMO) study on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is our spiritual battle won? Do we not need to be concerned about fighting against the enemy?

The war is won .... the battles continue until Jesus returns and picks up all the survivors. More survivors yet to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One who is within the kingdom of Satan does not have the authority or power to order an action from someone in the kingdom of God; because that person has been translated out of the kingdom of Satan. Which is true regardless of whether or not that saint is dead or alive.

In regards to the living saints: While we do know from the story of Job, and with Peter that the enemy had to ask for permission to test their faith, which was no doubt are "big tests" there is nothing said that God has not given a general permission to the enemy to tempt or lead away believers by false teachings or by sin. In fact, this verse seems to imply this.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5:8).

If things are as you say, this verse would say, the victory is won, so there is no concern that we have to be sober and vigilant because the devil may be a roaring lion, but he cannot devour us.

You said:
Satan may desire and attempt to get a saint to do something; but he has no power or authority to cause that action.

Scripture does not say that Satan has to keep asking to attack believers in every case. We do see that this is the case involve a major test of faith for men of God after they had been established in His good ways (like with Job, and Peter). There is nothing said that Satan always has to ask permission. Regardless of whether the enemy has to ask or not, He obviously must have some level of permission (even if the devil did not have to ask in certain cases). New believers can fall away due to temptation by the enemy or by false teachings. Job was already regarded as a righteous man before his test, and Peter was doing the work of Christ before Jesus mentioned his being sifted by the enemy. The thing is that Jesus said He would pray so that his faith may not fail. Now, why would Jesus need to pray this if Peter's victory was guaranteed? I can imagine it. Jesus is sitting on the throne, and there is a long line of prayers coming his way, and He just says, "Yep, I got the victory." "Next." "Victory" "Victory." "Next." Hours later: "Wait, why am I even doing this?" "The victory is assured, there is no need for me to pray if the outcome is assured." “This is silly and it is a waste of my time.”

You said:
Colossians 1:13

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Now I'm assuming here, you would not disagree with this verse?

One of the references you quoted was the book of Job. Note though in the passage that you quoted; Who ultimately gave Satan the authority to bring to pass all the calamity that transpired upon Job's possessions?

A one time event of becoming a living son does not guarantee a person remains as a saint or as a living son of God. A son can also die. In the parable of the prodigal son: We learn that when the son came home and he sought forgiveness with his father, we are told that the son was “dead” and he is “alive again.” So the son was dead spiritually when he was living in sin (i.e. when he was prodigal), and when he came back home to the father and sought his forgiveness, he became alive again spiritually. Being a son guaranteed him nothing in the fact that he could not die spiritually and put out of his inheritance (i.e. to inherit the kingdom of God). For Galatians 5:19-21 lists certain kinds of sins that we should not do and says that those who do such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Anyways, I am limited on time, and I may not get a chance to reply to the rest of what you wrote until maybe tomorrow (Lord willing).

In any event, may the peace of the Lord be unto you today (even if we disagree).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think there is another category, that being; the battle is won for those in God’s kingdom but individually we still need to be concerned.

Here is my reasoning I welcome your thoughts
As mentioned earlier, Christ rose from the grave victorious over all things. This is the ultimate victory for those chosen by God (1 Co 15:57, 1 Jo 5:4) to be on His team (so to speak).

Whilst our sins have been paid for our soul still resides in a cursed body that lusts after sin. As a saved soul we love the Lord and seek to please Him. The Lord hates sin (Ps 5:5,11:5) and every sin we commit is our failure in the Lord’s eyes. A saved individual should be distraught about his giving in to any sin and putting his desires ahead of the Lord. Recall David’s reaction to his own failure (Ps 51). He knew his salvation was secure but was still terrified God could remove his name from the Lambs book of life. This is our personal war against sin as Paul described (Rom 7:23, Ro 8:13,I Pe 2:11) and we fight it every day.

Also, while the team battle is won. No one but the Lord knows who is truly saved. We know there is a great many who believe they are saved but in reality they are not. They may have spent a lifetime trying to live for the Lord but did so according to a false gospel (Mat 7:22-23, 15:8, Luk 13:23 – 13:27, Phil 3:18, 2 Tim 4:3). Most likely by putting some amount of trust in some type of work on their part as a requirement for salvation (Eph 2:9), when we know that salvation is 100% a result of the Lords love and work (Ro 9:15, Ex 33:19)

As time winds down we are also commanded to sound the alarm so others may hear and be saved. This world (and sin) will not end until all of God’s elect have heard the call (Mat 24:14, John 6:37) and this absolutely will happen at the time God has scheduled (Jer 23:20). But we should be concerned that we are not doing enough to escalate the warning. We should want sin to be destroyed forever and the new heaven and earth to be realized now. But as the Lord said no one will leave what he has for the His sake (Mar 10:29)

So the battle is won, but individually we need to be diligent and always make our calling sure (Gal 6:4, 2 Pe 1:10).

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
While we do know from the story of Job, and with Peter that the enemy had to ask for permission to test their faith,

We know from the context of the passages that permission was "besought". Now do we have any other examples of demonic attacks on believers that give a "birds eye view" of the interaction between Satan / demonic forces, believer and God?

The closest I can think, off the top of my head is God addressing Adam, Eve and Satan after eating the fruit and God addressing Cain about "sin crouching at your door"; although that passage doesn't say anything about Satan.

there is nothing said that God has not given a general permission to the enemy to tempt or lead away believers by false teachings or by sin.

There's nothing that says that God has either though. So you can't base your objection upon something you can't prove by negation of the other position.

New believers can fall away due to temptation by the enemy or by false teachings.

If God has elected an individual from the foundations of the world to be predestine unto redemption; then in "due time" sent the Spirit to awaken that person, enacting in them saving faith, how can they "fall away" due to Satan's false teachers? Especially when Christ has domain over the kingdom of Satan?

God is the One who holds us in all truth; not we ourselves!

John 16:13
But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

1 Corinthians 2:13
which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

Mark 13:11
"When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 59:21
"As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit which is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your offspring, nor from the mouth of your offspring's offspring," says the LORD, "from now and forever."

Romans 8:14
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

The thing is that Jesus said He would pray so that his faith may not fail. Now, why would Jesus need to pray this if Peter's victory was guaranteed?

Note: Jesus doesn't say "I will pray...". He said "I have prayed..." When and how long has that prayer happened / taken place?

The phrase "I have prayed" is "aorist indicative passive" voice. "Indicative" indicates something that happened in the past and "passive" voice is an action enacted upon one other than the subject of the verb. Which what this means "theologically" is that Jesus has been led (in the past - now how far back in the past / all eternity?) to pray for Peter. Praying for Peter was not a conscious thing Jesus "decided" to do "in that moment"; it was driven by a need Jesus intuitively knew was there.

I can imagine it. Jesus is sitting on the throne, and there is a long line of prayers coming his way, and He just says, "Yep, I got the victory." "Next." "Victory" "Victory." "Next." Hours later: "Wait, why am I even doing this?" "The victory is assured, there is no need for me to pray if the outcome is assured." “This is silly and it is a waste of my time.”

Here is a perfect example of considering God with only a carnal mind. I'm assuming you are aware that God is all knowing, all powerful, everywhere present, having no beginning and no end, immortal and without need to rest. Christ knows instinctively based on the Divine entity that He is; to intercede specifically for individuals.

The interceding isn't for the point of "gaining the victory"; it's to bestow upon the person the tools they need at that moment to get through the trial they are facing. It's a "reinforcing" of the armor of God, so to speak; if one would want to use that metaphor.

A one time event of becoming a living son does not guarantee a person remains as a saint or as a living son of God.

Those whom Christ has bought can not be lost. The Scripture is very clear on that.

A son can also die.

A believer can die physically; but the guarantee is that they will not die before they have come to faith; and that process, God has planned out from the foundation of the world. How He orchestrates all that in real time while dealing with decisions independent entities make; is mind boggling. But being omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, immortal and eternal makes that possible.

In the parable of the prodigal son: We learn that when the son came home and he sought forgiveness with his father, we are told that the son was “dead” and he is “alive again.” So the son was dead spiritually when he was living in sin (i.e. when he was prodigal), and when he came back home to the father and sought his forgiveness, he became alive again spiritually.

And again, this parable is an example of how one won't be lost before redemption is enacted.

Being a son guaranteed him nothing in the fact that he could not die spiritually and put out of his inheritance (i.e. to inherit the kingdom of God).

That is not true; being "a son" guaranteed that he would not pass into eternity before his redemption had been enacted.

For Galatians 5:19-21 lists certain kinds of sins that we should not do and says that those who do such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

That passage and passages like it are a warning. Believers though they do sin, do not live a lifestyle of sin. So thus if you are living a lifestyle of sin, (i.e. you can't overcome the bondage of these such things) you should be worried about whether or not you are truly redeemed.

Now if one finds themselves in this situation; it doesn't mean they are not one of the elect. They may be; and just not had their true faith awakening yet.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@The Righterzpen:

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5:8).

If things are as you say, this verse would say, “the victory is won, so there is no concern that we have to be sober and vigilant because the devil may be a roaring lion, but he cannot devour us.”

But this is not what the Bible says.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
@The Righterzpen:

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5:8).

If things are as you say, this verse would say, “the victory is won, so there is no concern that we have to be sober and vigilant because the devil may be a roaring lion, but he cannot devour us.”

But this is not what the Bible says.

Other places in Scripture say the victory is won. You can't base the entirety of your doctrine on one or two verses. This is the point of studying the entire Scripture.

Just because the devil walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour doesn't mean he isn't defeated.

Matter of fact; Revelation says the wrath of the devil is great because he knows he has a short time.

Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
@The Righterzpen

Jesus said that he prayed so that Peter’s faith will not fail (See Luke 22:32).

You seem to think Jesus says something else.

How is this (my) "seeming to think Jesus said something else"? I didn't say anything about what Jesus "prayed for"; I just said that He did it "in the past tense".

If you look at what Jesus prayed for; it's kind of a generic prayer. I can't imagine that Peter is the only person Jesus has interceded for in such a manner.

Note: Jesus doesn't say "I will pray...". He said "I have prayed..." When and how long has that prayer happened / taken place?

The phrase "I have prayed" is "aorist indicative passive" voice. "Indicative" indicates something that happened in the past and "passive" voice is an action enacted upon one other than the subject of the verb. Which what this means "theologically" is that Jesus has been led (in the past - now how far back in the past / all eternity?) to pray for Peter. Praying for Peter was not a conscious thing Jesus "decided" to do "in that moment"; it was driven by a need Jesus intuitively knew was there.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Other places in Scripture say the victory is won. You can't base the entirety of your doctrine on one or two verses. This is the point of studying the entire Scripture.

Just because the devil walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour doesn't mean he isn't defeated.

Matter of fact; Revelation says the wrath of the devil is great because he knows he has a short time.

Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

But you are not explaining how that verse from Peter applies to believers. It seems like you are simply disregarding what it says. What does our being sober and vigilant have to do with the devil seeking whom he may devour?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is this (my) "seeming to think Jesus said something else"? I didn't say anything about what Jesus "prayed for"; I just said that He did it "in the past tense".

If you look at what Jesus prayed for; it's kind of a generic prayer. I can't imagine that Peter is the only person Jesus has interceded for in such a manner.

Time does not change what Jesus said. Jesus said he prayed so that Peter’s faith would not fail. This means that there is the possibility that Peter’s faith could have failed because we pray so as a part desiring something but it is not a guarantee. In other words, there would be no need for Jesus to pray so that Peter’s faith would not fail, if Jesus knew that his faith could never face the possibility of failing. This is why your belief here is a contradiction to what the Scriptures plainly say. God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But God knows, not everyone will repent.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To all:

It needs to be understood that there is a difference between GOD winning in the end, and GOD being sovereign over His creation vs. our own personal spiritual battle.

God of course is going to win in the end. There is no dispute against that fact. God can also use the evil (that man chooses to do of his own free will and from the corruptiness of mankind from the fall of Adam) for a greater plan for good. What I am saying is that our own PERSONAL spiritual battle has not been won. The fact, that believers can stumble into sin on rare occasion proves that this is so. But some believe that Satan just attacks believers and this cannot effect their standing with God. So then, why would Satan attack God's people if He knew that He could not make them fall? Why would the enemy bother? The reality is that men of God had sinned and were condemned for their sin. This is what drives the enemy. If he can take down believers (in whom Christ loves), he knows that this hurts God. Yes, GOD is ultimately in control (even of the devil), and GOD has reasons for His existence, but the enemy is seeking in whom he may devour. This is why we are to be sober and vigilant (No matter what others may say).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0