South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Physicists have long struggled with reconciling quantum mechanics and relativity at the Big Bang. The two are not compatible at that scale. Your solution? Don't worry about it because quantum mechanics wasn't even a thing before humans started observing? Do you really think physicists will slap their forehead at the simplicity of the solution that they have missed all this time? Oh, please do write a paper proving you are right.
That is not what I said. God may have been the observer and initiated QM to create the universe. That was long before humans including erectus.

dm: So not only did a Homo Erectus build an ocean liner, according to you, but they also initiated quantum mechanics? Quite impressive.
See above.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you deny that your mind exists?

If mind is something other than the physical, electrical and chemical processes occuring in that wet meat between our ears then I vote yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is not what I said. God may have been the observer and initiated QM to create the universe.
Uh, if there is no such thing as a point in spacetime without an intelligent observer, what experiment would show that QM does not work where there is no intelligent observer?

For the record, QM theory does not say that every QM action requires an intelligent observer.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If mind is something other than the physical, electrical and chemical processes occuring in that wet meat between our ears then I vote yes.
Then how can you reason and think without a mind? Chemical and electrical processes just react with each other, they cannot reason and think.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Then how can you reason and think without a mind? Chemical and electrical processes just react with each other, they cannot reason and think.
Lol, very complicated computer programming. No wonder some people go mad!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

So if it exists apart from the electrical, chemical and physical processes then I'm keen to find out where it is. Do you have any information?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So if it exists apart from the electrical, chemical and physical processes then I'm keen to find out where it is. Do you have any information?
My bro-in-law said he was one time on some drug, I don't remember what, and "found himself sitting" in the little ledge under the back window of a Volkswagen Beetle, and watched himself talking with the girl sitting next to him on the back seat. It scared him so bad he quit drugs and he hasn't done any since. He, at least, is convinced that the mind, and even awareness of locality, is not permanently affixed to the brain and the body's senses.

Yeah, I know, just a story. Not evidence. Still, rather amazing.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My bro-in-law said he was one time on some drug, I don't remember what, and "found himself sitting" in the little ledge under the back window of a Volkswagen Beetle, and watched himself talking with the girl sitting next to him on the back seat. It scared him so bad he quit drugs and he hasn't done any since. He, at least, is convinced that the mind, and even awareness of locality, is not permanently affixed to the brain and the body's senses.

Yeah, I know, just a story. Not evidence. Still, rather amazing.

Half way through a sci fi book valled Recursion which deals with this sense of displacement. Someone invents a means of replaying certain memories so vividly that you feel yourself actually back at that time. It's a dangerous process and they discover that if you die during the process in the present whilst 'reliving' the past, you end up stuck in the past. Which you can then change because you know what the result of certain decisions will be in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Half way through a sci fi book valled Recursion which deals with this sense of displacement. Someone invents a means of replaying certain memories so vividly that you feel yourself actually back at that time. It's a dangerous process and they discover that if you die during the process in the present whilst 'reliving' the past, you end up stuck in the past. Which you can then change because you know what the result of certain decisions will be in the future.
I'll have to chase it up. I love sci-fi.

If you are into sci-fi, you might be able to tell me what book it was that I once read long ago, and don't remember the name; the basic premise, or narrative of the book has three beings watching 'from above' so to speak, discussing the behavior, etc of one of the three as she was also in immature form growing up in her world, unaware that she was not as she would become or that she was being watched by the three. (They were not human, nor was she.) Compelling reading.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
This also makes me think of a certain old philosophy/theology I have heard of, where cause-and-effect is only an illusion, made by the gods who constantly monitor our thoughts and produce the effects we think are caused by whatever came before those effects. Can't help but chuckle, but it is interesting.

Edit: maybe an old form of the simulation theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll have to chase it up. I love sci-fi.

If you are into sci-fi, you might be able to tell me what book it was that I once read long ago, and don't remember the name; the basic premise, or narrative of the book has three beings watching 'from above' so to speak, discussing the behavior, etc of one of the three as she was also in immature form growing up in her world, unaware that she was not as she would become or that she was being watched by the three. (They were not human, nor was she.) Compelling reading.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Recursion...ocphy=9071837&hvtargid=pla-857840059656&psc=1

In that story, did they reproduce sexually, the three being involved but one acting as a 'catalyst'? Not sure why I asked because I can't remember the name of the book I read that in either.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Asimov's The Gods Themselves?

The Gods Themselves - Wikipedia
Wow! Yes, that's the one (or the three, lol). I had forgotten all about the other business, the energy sapping and so on. And I don't remember the three not even themselves being quite mature. Maybe I never got the chance to finish it (them).

Thank you!

Asimov had an incredible mind! (no pun intended)

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Uh, if there is no such thing as a point in spacetime without an intelligent observer, what experiment would show that QM does not work where there is no intelligent observer?

For the record, QM theory does not say that every QM action requires an intelligent observer.
According to the article I posted, the Copenhagen interpretation plainly implies that it does not occur without either an observer or the taking of a measurement. See below. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

"During an observation, the system must interact with a laboratory device. When that device makes a measurement, the wave function of the systems collapses, irreversibly reducing to an eigenstate of the observable that is registered. The result of this process is a tangible record of the event, made by a potentiality becoming an actuality."

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
See my response to Bradskii above.

Which was:

Chemical and electrical processes just react with each other, they cannot reason and think.

And my response to your response, which was:

'So if it exists apart from the electrical, chemical and physical processes then I'm keen to find out where it is. Do you have any information?'

So do you have any information?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"During an observation, the system must interact with a laboratory device. When that device makes a measurement, the wave function of the systems collapses, irreversibly reducing to an eigenstate of the observable that is registered. The result of this process is a tangible record of the event, made by a potentiality becoming an actuality."

Again, if God counts as an observer, and God is everywhere, what experiment could possibly prove that quantum mechanics do not occur in the absence of God? You simply ignore that question.

Whistling into the wind does not count as science.

Your paragraph is about what happens when a quantum effect is detected by the detecting equipment. It is not about the need for an intelligent observer.

The effects are mysterious. One way of looking at it is to say it acts as though, at the moment the effect interacts with the rest of the world, the system wave function collapses into a particular state.

Upvote 0