✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello you, and welcome to this thread.

Are people trying to tell you that God is love? Where did they learn that from and see it at, what in the bible explains that God is love? Why is there characteristic of God's character expressed that says plainly God is love?

Love. It is not important is it?

God is Love, and expressed his love through his son Jesus Christ while Jesus Christ walked around healing sick, and wounded people by the spirit of God that was given to give the power of God through Jesus to heal all of those people and make them well, and all believe they believed and trusted God, and that Jesus Christ was the Messiah to come to save the world.

He loved all of them, even the ones who had chanted for his cruxifiction, and the person who spit in his face, and those who beat Yeshua in the face. He forgave them taking on our sins. The worlds sins were being bore down on Christ when he was facing all of these trails that was nearing it is end where he would finally have peace, from the flesh while traveling on the spirit and back to the flesh/spiritual body again because of God raising the Lord Jesus Christ up on the third day.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He forgave them taking on our sins
Sorry forgiveness is Always preceded by repentance. No expression of sorrow equals no forgiveness.

Jesus paid the penalty of All our sins, we still have to say we are sorry and accept him as Lord and Saviour.
John 3:16-18, those who do not believe in his name are condemned already.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sorry forgiveness is Always preceded by repentance. No expression of sorrow equals no forgiveness.

Jesus paid the penalty of All our sins, we still have to say we are sorry and accept him as Lord and Saviour.
John 3:16-18, those who do not believe in his name are condemned already.
I always wondered if in the account of the woman caught in adultery if she really repented. Clearly she had not first before the Lord forgave her by the account at least. Makes ya wonder. Being sorry to me isn't repentance, repentance is turning from your sin. You could have intent to repent but often we need the Spirit's help to fully accomplish that. No ?

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are people trying to tell you that God is love? Where did they learn that from and see it at, what in the bible explains that God is love? Why is there characteristic of God's character expressed that says plainly God is love?

God is Love, and expressed his love through his son Jesus Christ while Jesus Christ walked around healing sick, and wounded people by the spirit of God that was given to give the power of God through Jesus to heal all of those people and make them well, and all believe they believed and trusted God, and that Jesus Christ was the Messiah to come to save the world.

He loved all of them, even the ones who had chanted for his cruxifiction, and the person who spit in his face, and those who beat Yeshua in the face. He forgave them taking on our sins. The worlds sins were being bore down on Christ when he was facing all of these trails that was nearing it is end where he would finally have peace, from the flesh while traveling on the spirit and back to the flesh/spiritual body again because of God raising the Lord Jesus Christ up on the third day.
These are all of your words. You are talking about God. How come you are telling us your story in your words when we have GOD'S WORD to tell us??? Tell us where we can go in God's Word to verify this story you tell, please. When you are telling others who and what God is you are taking on a huge and severely accountable responsibility. Better get it right and use HIS WORDS.

Pssssst! Guess what? We are in Christian Scriptures forum.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I once went through the Gospels looking at cases where Jesus forgives people. I came to the opposite conclusion. It seems that he forgave them and they responded with repentance. For one example, see Zacchaeus in Luke 19. I'm not aware of anyone who came up to Jesus saying "I repent" and Jesus then forgave them.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I always wondered if in the account of the woman caught in adultery if she really repented. Clearly she had not first before the Lord forgave her by the account at least. Makes ya wonder. Being sorry to me isn't repentance, repentance is turning from your sin. You could have intent to repent but often we need the Spirit's help to fully accomplish that. No ?
In principle I agree. But look at Luke 17:4: "And if the same person sins against you seven times a day, and turns back to you seven times and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive.” "

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Most authorities sate that the story of the woman caught in adultery is a later addition to Scripture; it is not in the earliest manuscripts.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Have you never read 1 John? He wrote "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." and "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pathfinder627

Sep 26, 2020
Texas
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Most authorities sate that the story of the woman caught in adultery is a later addition to Scripture; it is not in the earliest manuscripts.

It's definitely early though and quoted by some early Church writers. For example, Eusebius didn't know of it from the canonical gospels (he was using something similar to the Alexandrian texts), but he said it was from the (now lost) Gospel to the Hebrews. This was another Gospel text in Aramaic or Hebrew that was originally meant for the Jewish community (the original Nazarenes). It was also quoted in the Didascalia (a Syriac rule of faith). Like the Didache, the Didascalia has echoes of the early Asia Minor churches that had more ties to Jews. These were all churches founded by John, and later had Polycarp as their bishop. Polycarp himself was a Gentile, but had a distinct Jewish flavor to some of his teachings (such as relating Holy Week to the Passover).

Now here's my (unfounded) theory. We can see over time that Jews became a dwindling minority in the Church in the following centuries (after the Pre-Nicene age). In some cases, imperial based Christians were outright hostile. The ruling authorities in Rome even attacked the Syriac Christians for still honoring Passover as a holiday (they related Good Friday and the Resurrection to the Mosaic tradition, as I mentioned above). And by the late 300s, you can see John Chrysostom's infamous rants about Jews in some of his writings and telling his congregation to stay away from anything Jewish. Jewish culture was suppressed and I wouldn't be surprised if their texts became suppressed too. But it also wouldn't surprise me that this story of the adulteress was deemed too good to pass up and they fitted it into later manuscripts of John. Some other manuscripts have it inserted into Luke as well. Which kind of tells me that they didn't really know what to do with it, but also knew it was too good to pass up.

Anyways, you can take that with a grain of salt. The only way this theory gets proven correct is if we discover an in tact copy of the Gospel of the Hebrews and see this passage in it's natural place. But otherwise, I like the way modern translations handle it. They don't completely toss it out, but put it in brackets and acknowledge that it has some historical witness, even if not part of the original Gospel of John.

edit: Not quite related, but one other thing worth pointing out is that traditions of Mary Magdalene were silenced around the same time too. After this, they started relating this story of the adulteress as being her. Forever in paintings and movies, poor Magadelene is slandered. But the canonical scriptures never said that it was her. This comes from Pope Gregory. Mary Magdalene was possessed by demons and saved by Jesus. Not some random woman tossed in front of him for adultery.

I don't know how it relates to the Jewish suppression I mentioned, but it is interesting to me that these two falsehoods popped up around the same time, centering on this specific text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I once went through the Gospels looking at cases where Jesus forgives people. I came to the opposite conclusion. It seems that he forgave them and they responded with repentance. For one example, see Zacchaeus in Luke 19. I'm not aware of anyone who came up to Jesus saying "I repent" and Jesus then forgave them.

And every one of them came to Jesus, they came seeking healing of some sort, in that seeking there is a
Recognition of there spiritual state.
You are forgetting that as Jews they had been taught about sacrifice for sin, the passing of one's sin to the sacrifice, that cannot be done if one is not sorry for them.

Upvote 0