Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the many issues I face is this one. The neighbours who regularly party and play loud music, laugh, shout and scream. Regularly I'm woken up in the middle of the night, say two am by people partying to the early hours, like seven.

What does god want me to learn in this sustain? Maybe I could talk to the neighbours, but what if my taking lands on deaf ears?

I've suffered in silence. I've forgiven. What now?

That's a difficult situation, one that you can't expect to be resolved without taking action because your neighbors obviously enjoy what they are doing, by asking them even in the nicest way to try and change for your sake, it could contribute to some animosity that will certainly be undesirable. It depends whether you already have a good relationship with them, if not then are there laws that enforce sound control? I know in New Zealand the city government will respond to complaints by sending someone with a sound meter to measure the level of noise being produced and if it exceeds the allowable level, which is equivalent to a typical conversation then they'll either disperse the crowd or confiscate the stereo, and this way your complaint will be anonymous and they won't have any reason to hold a grudge against you. Might pay to check out your local laws for this.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
When they only have one set of neighbours, it would be a bit hard to claim anonymity, plus I think calling the police would be even more animosity.

But my main concern is figuring out what god wants me to learn in this. He's not being my shield or armour at the moment, and maybe he wants me to change my life, move out. Or perhaps he does want me to suffer and learn to be assertive.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When they only have one set of neighbours, it would be a bit hard to claim anonymity, plus I think calling the police would be even more animosity.

But my main concern is figuring out what god wants me to learn in this. He's not being my shield or armour at the moment, and maybe he wants me to change my life, move out. Or perhaps he does want me to suffer and learn to be assertive.

Hmmm, yeah that makes it difficult, sorry I didn't realise you were the only neighbour! In that case yes, calling authorities would definitely cause more animosity than simply talking to them. I don't think it's right to blame God for the situation, it is clear in the Bible that drunkenness is not a fruit of the Holy Spirit so your neighbours aren't particularly under the influence of God. Since you're the only neighbours you must have met them already? Have you mentioned this to them, it isn't reasonable to suffer in silence, especially if it is a frequent occurrence. We've all been given the same birthright to live on this planet and we do have to figure out how to share the place in a civilised manner. It's tough alright, I really can't offer any advice now, as I know what it's like sort of, my roommate snores so loud that it wakes me and I can't get back to sleep without wearing earplugs!

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame God at all for any of this. But when I hear that God guides and protects us, I have to wonder, in what way? Although God doesn't cause the bad things, bad things still happen, good people suffer, and Im still left here wondering what God is trying to show me.

Cya
Simon

Upvote 0

Hotpepper

Charis Dia Pistis
Jun 14, 2010
Oregon
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the many issues I face is this one. The neighbours who regularly party and play loud music, laugh, shout and scream. Regularly I'm woken up in the middle of the night, say two am by people partying to the early hours, like seven.

What does god want me to learn in this sustain? Maybe I could talk to the neighbours, but what if my taking lands on deaf ears?

I've suffered in silence. I've forgiven. What now?

sjdean,

I would like to offer you some insight that was passed on to me in times past throughout my walk with the Lord. First and foremost before answering your quoted question, I want to make clear something that is (in my mind) detrimental to your understanding and imperative for your continual growth in the faith. I believe that your question of how one hears or listens to God is not only a good question, but it shows (by you asking) that you are diligently seeking to build a more pure and personal relationship with God through Christ.

One listens to God obviously not by the literal sense of the word "listen" as one would listen to the wind blow, but by the Spirit. Well, what does that mean? It means that your understanding of the Bible is essential to the intimate bond with your conscience. Your understanding of sound doctrine is taught to you (gradually) by the Holy Spirit whom you received when you first believed. You only believe because you were called. One of my favorite quotes about God's call to us is by Oswald Chambers:

"There comes the baffling call of God in our lives. The call of God can never be stated explicitly; it is implicit. The call of God is like the call of the sea, no one hears it but the one who has the nature of the sea in him."

A measure of faith has been given to you by the Divine Spirit by His grace alone and this faith tends to start out relatively small, such as a mustard seed. This explains the constant doubt that relatively new Christians are buffeted by in the beginning stages of their walk with Christ. To make that seed grow takes time and much watering by the Word of God. It takes the casting off of things that hinder this process, not necessarily only sin, but anything that would interfere with your devoted time set aside for God. Sin will dissipate as your faith grows through the Spirit's effectual sanctification working in you. This requires that you be led by the Spirit which can probably more easily be stated by saying "not resisting" what you've read and learned in God's Word. Therefore listening to God is first contingent upon an understanding of the Bible. Then, using that understanding as your core, you can also listen by digesting the words of saints that have passed, who Christ chose to work through, and by fellowship with the current body (believers) of Christ. Do this and you will not be tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me" (John 10:27)

"And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." (Deuteronomy 8:3)

Now as for your quoted question, I suppose that certain outcomes depend upon if you live in a rural or urban environment. If there are many neighbors in the area then I'm sure you aren't the only one suffering. If you are a patient person then you can be sure that not everyone is as forbearing and will start calling the police. After a few visits from the authorities things will tend to die down. I personally see nothing wrong with making the phone call, especially if I believe that others are suffering also.

If it is more of a rural type area and it is primarily only you that is suffering alone then it is really your call. Whatever you decide to do just be sure to first pray that God will bless whatever decision you decide to make and then act. You can talk to the problem neighbors and use it as a opportunity to spread the gospel to them. If they laugh you to scorn then perhaps it won't be as hard to call the authorities the next time. ;) Or you can try to ignore it, (maybe sleep with some music playing to drown out the noise) and pray that it dissipates which would be a real (probably long) test of your patience. Personally, I would try the ministering approach first, after prayer, and go from there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
After praying and it not getting better, I wonder what next. Certainly retaliation is out of order, retaliation seems to indicate a lack of love, a lack of forgiveness, an eye for an eye kind of thing and Im mindful of the fact that two wrongs don't make a right and there's a warning somewhere in the bible about escalation of actions between parties.

So even if I wanted to play music, I also couldn't because I share the house I live in with others who don't hear the music next door but would hear my music if I put it on.

There are some Christians who would advocate the retaliatory stance, blasting your music first thing in the morning, but, that just seems wrong to me. While listening to other Chrisitans is a great idea, you have to make sure that they too understand the gospel.

Of course its things like the music next door, the sleep deprivation and other problems surrounding my life (not necessarily in my life) which I feel is destracting me from God.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We think we don't hear from God, but we do. I'll give you a good example.

I bought a new necklace - I wanted something different so I bought a cross with a loop in the top (not knowing that this represented the Egyptian sun god and a sign of reincarnation) - within 30 minutes I had depression hit me so hard I thought I was going to lose my mind.

I did not reaize it then, but it was the Holy Spirit withdrawing from me - for 3 days I had depression Like I have never seen before - until I came upon a book and opened it to the exact page and paragraph explaining the Egyptian ankh - I yanked it off immediately and the presence of the Holy Spirit returned immediately.

He is always there guiding you. Sometimes we miss Him because we are waiting on a audible voice. Some people hear an audible voice and others just feel the guidance. I've heard the audible voice only twice in my 75 years and sure I would like to hear that all the time, but that is where faith comes in. If we had that audible voice all the time telling us what to do and what not to do, there would be no reason for faith.

You are hearing that still small voice - just your eagerness to hear God is a clear sign that you are following the leading - just know He is there - if only we could see the battles that go on in the spirit world for our protection, our faith would be less also because that sword and shield is protecting us every hour of the day.

Just keep reaching - you are doing great and God is very proud of you.

I had not read all the threads when I answered - so now I want to add what I would do - God lets us make our own decisions - if they are right the Holy Spirit will let you know by letting things proceed - if they are wrong, you will feel that tap on the shoulder like what you have mentioned, two wrongs don't make a right.

I would ask the neighbor if I could speak with him - ask him if you can come into his home and have someone turn the music on in your home as loud as they have it at night and let the neighbor witness what you are having to put up with and just explain that you are not asking them to stop - just to lower it to where you can sleep. Then if they don't - I would not care if they know that I call the police or not - everyone has a right to some peace and quiet in their own home. That is not wrong to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hotpepper

Charis Dia Pistis
Jun 14, 2010
Oregon
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After praying and it not getting better, I wonder what next.

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5:1-5)

Certainly retaliation is out of order, retaliation seems to indicate a lack of love, a lack of forgiveness, an eye for an eye kind of thing and Im mindful of the fact that two wrongs don't make a right and there's a warning somewhere in the bible about escalation of actions between parties.

So even if I wanted to play music, I also couldn't because I share the house I live in with others who don't hear the music next door but would hear my music if I put it on.

There are some Christians who would advocate the retaliatory stance, blasting your music first thing in the morning, but, that just seems wrong to me.

I think you misunderstood. I never recommended that you blast your music back in retaliation. I was thinking headphones. There are plenty available that are hardly noticeable while in your ear. Or instead of music you can listen to an audio bible...

While listening to other Chrisitans is a great idea, you have to make sure that they too understand the gospel.

...and the only way you can be sure that they know the gospel is to know it yourself by studying the Bible, which was my whole point. However it should be the Bible in it's entirety, as everything points to or is built upon the gospel. The more understanding of the whole will increase the meaning. Also, it certainly isn't only a great idea, but it is a according to Scripture that we do so.

"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." (Hebrews 3:13)

"And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." (Hebrews 10:25)

"...whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do." (1 Thessalonians 5:8-11)

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken." (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)

There is a point to why I put these verses here. Previously you made a comment about the shield of faith. What is this shield's purpose? To extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one, Ephesians 6:16; For our protection, Psalm 119:114. Believers make up the body of Christ. They are also shield bearers. It is true that two are better than one and three is even better according to the last quoted verse. A human shield when it comes to believers in Christ is no longer "human" according to Matthew 18:20. Perhaps these "flaming arrows of the devil" are truly overwhelming you. Perhaps they get worse. There is an answer.

"Line up the shield and buckler, And draw near for the battle!" (Jeremiah 46:3)

Of course its things like the music next door, the sleep deprivation and other problems surrounding my life (not necessarily in my life) which I feel is destracting me from God.

It certainly is not entirely out of your control what or who you surround your life with. Strive to surround yourself with people or things that bring you closer to God and throw off everything that hinders or distracts you from Him. God is on your side, so it's not entirely all on your shoulders. Remember: Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. (James 4:8) This is a promise and you can be sure that God will deliver. If you cannot cast certain things off, the Spirit who is stronger than you, certainly can through patience and faith.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0