Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does not guide us into bad situations. We sometimes think our ideas or thoughts are from God, but they are our own thoughts. The Holy Spirit will not shove us into going the direction that is meant for us. We sometimes do not ask which way to go - we just go. We make wrong decisions, then God is busy in the background working things out for our good, even though we make wrong decisions at times.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Thanks for the reply Sharon.

I keep hearing the ideas that God is our shield, God is our armour, God is our sword.

Right now, I don't seem to be able to use that shield. That then got me thinking about guidance.

Some others say that we don't have to do anything particularly special, God is always with us. Either God hasn't guided me into this situation, in which case, how can I be sure he even guided me into Church in the first place, I still haven't heard God... Or if he has guided me, given that I haven't heard God, maybe he's got me here for a reason.

Or maybe he's screaming at me telling me to change something but I just can't clearly here him.

Im too confused.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is easy to get confused - we have to remember that Jesus is in Heaven standing before God pleading our case every day, but we also have to realize we live in a fallen world. The enemy is the king of this world and will always try to sway you away from walking with God. We have free will and when we walk into something wrong on our own free will, Jesus is not there to force us back, but He is there with arms wide open for us to run to for protection.

Yes God is always with us - but He is a perfect gentleman as the Holy Spirit to guide us when we ask and follow His lead.

When you feel that still small voice or that nudge of conscious in doing something, that is the Holy Spirit telling us to wait, but if we choose to ignor that leading, He is still with us waiting for us to reverse our steps and step back into the protection of His leading.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe(d) that God guides us. Question is, why would he guide us into bad situations?

As long as there is a controversy of good vs evil there will be bad situations. Joseph decided not to sleep with potiphar's wife. He did what was right but he ended up in prison. Joseph could have then asked God, why he led him into that bad situation. Joseph didnt do anything wrong but look what happened to him. It was the devil at work. But what God does is make a way out from our bad situations as long as we remain true and faithful to him. Joseph spent 7 years in prison and eventually he was taken out of prison and made Prime Minister over Egypt. The point is that bad situations are just an opportunity for us to see the mighty hand of God work in our lived. Stay strong.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So what's being said? The holy spirit will confirm when we are on the right course?

I guess my biggest problem, and this is the problem I've had ever since I was baptised, I've never heard God, I've never really been in tune with that small voice.

I get instincts, but it's hard to know whether those instincts are from God, myself, or someone or something else.

I actually want to put my trust in God that in the midst of something bad, God will be my shield/armour/sword or whatever, he may have a reason for me being in a certain place and I shouldn't just look up to up and leave when the going gets tough.

On the other hand, that could just be exactly what he's telling me.

If only I heard something.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what's being said? The holy spirit will confirm when we are on the right course?

I guess my biggest problem, and this is the problem I've had ever since I was baptised, I've never heard God, I've never really been in tune with that small voice.

I get instincts, but it's hard to know whether those instincts are from God, myself, or someone or something else.

I actually want to put my trust in God that in the midst of something bad, God will be my shield/armour/sword or whatever, he may have a reason for me being in a certain place and I shouldn't just look up to up and leave when the going gets tough.

Pray about it. Although I am sure you have already done that but you still have not received an answer you are sure of is from God. Remember that things that were written before were written for our learning, that we might have hope. I point you to Gideon. God told him to lead the army of Israel but he still was not sure. He then gave God a test to see if God was really speaking to him and God did what Gideon requested. It is a leap of faith, but you can try something similar. Ask God to show you some sign or something that will make you sure of what you need to do. See if that helps.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes bad situations are exactly what we need in order to develop our character, wisdom, and dependence on God. Romans 5:3-5 is a good reminder:

we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

When I look back on some of the hardest times in my life, I always see how I learned from it, grew from it, or just got stronger as a result. Adversity is a necessary part of life. It's just a lot harder to see it that way when we're in the middle of it.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
And that's it though. How do I know if Im suffering as a God given thing that I should stick with, or whether Im suffering because Im being a fool?

For example, Proverbs 22:3: A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Upvote 0

EnVida Isaac

Oct 13, 2010
✟353.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe(d) that God guides us. Question is, why would he guide us into bad situations?

Good question, you should ask the good question. But with any question there are multiple answers. And believing the right one makes all the difference in the world. Not unlike a maze. Where a question with four most visible possible answers is like a four way fork in the road.

You can choose any way you want, and maybe there are other forks in the road ahead. Maybe dead ends. But you are the one making the choice.

If you have done it already, then what choice is there? You know the right path to go. Or, if you have a map, you can consult that.

But what is more adventurous? Or is adventure even what you really want? To not know which fork to take. To come to dead ends and come back, then choose another way?

It is also like genetics. People normally see prophecy as like some kind of whisper of God into the future, like someone standing over someone else's shoulder, saying, "Do this. Go this way."

But, look at kids and their parents. The kids end up doing things their parents do as they grow older. But they are also different.

Spiritual genetics. What the patriarchs said and did by faith was also showing simply they are children of God through Jesus. These actions and words of faith pointed to Jesus. In that way. It says they are children of God.

Had Jesus not come, they would never know this. They would never be able to go, "What is the deeper meaning of all of these things in my life". As Jesus did come, they can go, "I see, so God is my real Father".

They would have been as bastard children without ever understanding themselves or knowing where they are going.

Instead, they see Jesus and go to Jesus who leads to God.

'They go to the light to show their deeds are of the light'. This leads to greater and greater light, to eternal life.

They are as free children, and feel acceptance, regardless of what they do.

Then, 'the darkness is as day for God', the "bad choices" and "bad situations" "God leads you into" become something else entirely.

Though part of the Lord's prayer is, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil".

It is being like kids. Kids fall sometimes. They scream and shout because they do not get what they want. James says, "Do not go, 'God is testing me, God is testing me!' But you are led away by your own evil desires into testing."

So you have a responsibility to learn over time, "what are evil desires" that lead you down painful paths. And what are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree with SharonL on this – Yahweh doesn’t put us in bad situations yet uses them to help us. Scripture says that He will turn out things for our good.

I think one reason I get into bad situations is because I haven’t learned to hear Yahweh’s voice well. In the beginning for me it was believing His Word =Yahweh says my sheep hear My voice.

We have His Word. Yet there are decisions that have to be made, etc that aren’t specifically addressed. As believers, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and speaks in such a wide range of ways. I’ve read How to Hear from God in a Noisy World which included exercises that helped. She has some information on the internet. There are other articles on the internet. Of course you have to weed through them.

Read this recently about a “check” and “inner witness” at http://layhands.com/HearGodsVoice.htm and was grateful for that information because it put some of my experiences into words. Rom 8:16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
The whole thing is so difficult for me, especially when you can't hear a tangible word of God. And what God might have in plan for you, doesn't necessarily tie up with what the world thinks you should do.

I know that there are potentially three ways to hear God, scripture, opinions of others, and circumstance.

Even then for me, how much of others opinions is weighted on "culture" at the time as opposed to true Godly opinion, and how much of circumstance is just common or garden coincidence?

Scripture becomes difficult when it gives one answer in one part and another answer in another.

My situation isn't immoral or illegal or anything like that. It's just one of those everyday difficult situations. I know about forgiveness, I know about loving. I know that the only thing you can really control is yourself. But does that mean that God really wants me to sit in the middle and take every kind of criticism, lose self esteem, self respect, and confidence? Some of the attitudes to me sound to me like saying "something bad is happening to me, I can't control it, so I'll just accept it, even though its making me bad"

Isn't it written in Proverbs though, chapter 22, a prudent man sees danger and flees, while a fool stays (or something along those lines).

I just wish I knew what God wanted me to do through this.

Cheers
Simon

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
God does not guide us into bad situations, He guides us out of them.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
One of the many issues I face is this one. The neighbours who regularly party and play loud music, laugh, shout and scream. Regularly I'm woken up in the middle of the night, say two am by people partying to the early hours, like seven.

What does god want me to learn in this sustain? Maybe I could talk to the neighbours, but what if my taking lands on deaf ears?

I've suffered in silence. I've forgiven. What now?

Upvote 0

Godspiritlivesinyou

*God turns my darkness into light*
Oct 24, 2010
Inspirational lane
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Everything that you have written i feel like it relates to me like i feel the exact same way. Like I dont know if I hear the word from him or myself or someone else but i feel an instinct and i hear a voice that sounds like me but sometimes i think is threw him. i want to put my trust in him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godspiritlivesinyou

Oct 24, 2010
Inspirational lane
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As long as there is a controversy of good vs evil there will be bad situations. Joseph decided not to sleep with potiphar's wife. He did what was right but he ended up in prison. Joseph could have then asked God, why he led him into that bad situation. Joseph didnt do anything wrong but look what happened to him. It was the devil at work. But what God does is make a way out from our bad situations as long as we remain true and faithful to him. Joseph spent 7 years in prison and eventually he was taken out of prison and made Prime Minister over Egypt. The point is that bad situations are just an opportunity for us to see the mighty hand of God work in our lived. Stay strong.

What passage was this joseph from and how to learn more about this story?

Upvote 0

Godspiritlivesinyou

Oct 24, 2010
Inspirational lane
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pray about it. Although I am sure you have already done that but you still have not received an answer you are sure of is from God. Remember that things that were written before were written for our learning, that we might have hope. I point you to Gideon. God told him to lead the army of Israel but he still was not sure. He then gave God a test to see if God was really speaking to him and God did what Gideon requested. It is a leap of faith, but you can try something similar. Ask God to show you some sign or something that will make you sure of what you need to do. See if that helps.

What passage was this gideon from and how can i learn more about his leap of faith in god

Upvote 0

Godspiritlivesinyou

Oct 24, 2010
Inspirational lane
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes bad situations are exactly what we need in order to develop our character, wisdom, and dependence on God. Romans 5:3-5 is a good reminder:

Can you help me understand this passage and the meaning behind it?

Upvote 0

Godspiritlivesinyou

Oct 24, 2010
Inspirational lane
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And that's it though. How do I know if Im suffering as a God given thing that I should stick with, or whether Im suffering because Im being a fool?

For example, Proverbs 22:3: A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

what does that passage mean?

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hey Godspirit, it would be real helpful if you could post your queries in a new thread, as my issues are in danger of being overlooked.

The proverbs one, as I raised it, well in proverbs it talks about foolishness vs wisdom. To me it means it is better to see danger and avoid it rather than knowing that there is trouble and subjecting yourself to it. That probably answers a previous question of mine, don't drive your car into a tree expecting God to save you, that is just foolish.

I think there are a few people who consider themselves good Christians based on how much they suffer. Perhaps the paragraph is warning against that, or perhaps it suggests as other Bible commentaries do, about wisdom vs foolishness and being careful not to go down the sinful path and experience the consequences of said sin.

Let me just re-ask my question though, just in case
One of the many issues I face is this one. The neighbours who regularly party and play loud music, laugh, shout and scream. Regularly I'm woken up in the middle of the night, say two am by people partying to the early hours, like seven.

What does god want me to learn in this sustain? Maybe I could talk to the neighbours, but what if my taking lands on deaf ears?

I've suffered in silence. I've forgiven. What now?

Upvote 0