Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's helpful to be aware that there are situations where being open to using a breadth of language for God is helpful. (For example, for a group of sex abuse victims, God as "father" can be a deeply problematic image).

I'm aware of the argument, but I think that healing requires an understanding that the flaws of earthly fathers do not tarnish the Fatherhood of God.

And, a few centuries back, there was a category of statement called "offensive to pious ears." It wasn't heretical per se, but it got everybody riled up. I think we have some of that here on this thread.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Disclaimer to male readers: I am a straight and manly 6 foot 200 pound man, who is red blooded and I am not a progressive or “feminist” or liberal. It’s ok to keep reading and not just dismiss it because you think I’m a woman.

God is a spirit being. God had no gender or physical representation. While Jesus manifested as a male human, he existed as a member of the triune God for eternity before creation.
While it can be argued Jesus is entirely male, there is no scriptural defense for the position that God is male in any way.

The scriptures use the male pronoun to refer to God by default, through translation, and because the scriptures were written in patriarchal societies where the male pronoun would be used for a deity.

As Goddess is a spirit and gender free, she does not have a gender.

The previous sentence sounds weird and is inaccurate. It also doesn’t use common scriptural male terms for God so it feels uncomfortable. However, it is equally as inaccurate as the following sentence:

As God is a spirit and gender free he does not have a gender.

God is not male. It’s OK to admit it, it won’t make you turn blue. :)

but seriously, where am I wrong, any scripture to demonstrate God is male? Do you have a problem with my perspective here shared (other than my Lame jokes) or is it acceptable theologically.

thanks! I’m mostly trying this out because I want to talk to my pastor about it but I don’t want to miss anything important. Thanks!
Male pronouns are the biggest argument but to suggest God has gentiles I think is extremely a pagan mindset and incorrect.

The modern conversation of gender vs sex may be more relevant here as God may identiy as a gender without it being a biological identity. The bible may perhaps support this view over all else.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe in a divine feminine ?

To exactly the same degree that I believe in a divine masculine.

Again, in case this is not clear from what I've said, I don't believe we can project our human ideas or experience of maleness or femaleness onto a God who utterly transcends our reproductive biology.

I'm aware of the argument, but I think that healing requires an understanding that the flaws of earthly fathers do not tarnish the Fatherhood of God.

Maybe, but healing is a process. In the meantime, pastoral sensitivity to our use of language can help that process. (All I'm really arguing here is that while "Father" is a valid term for God, there are many valid - even Biblical - terms for God, and we can use them with wisdom and compassion as befits the situation).

And, a few centuries back, there was a category of statement called "offensive to pious ears." It wasn't heretical per se, but it got everybody riled up. I think we have some of that here on this thread.

I'm not familiar with the term, but I definitely find some of the statements in this thread (for example, denying that women are created in the image of God) denigrating and likely to cause people to be "riled up."

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t believe that God was the literal father of Jesus, I believe that Mary was impregnated by a man, as that is the only way that human reproduction is known to occur. How do you think it occurred - I mean on the cellular level. Specifically.
How was Eve produced? There was no sperm involved nor a mother's womb. God simply took some of Adam's flesh (his rib) with his male chromosomes, and created another person with female chromosomes.
Christ's flesh was formed in Mary's womb in the same manner, taking some of Mary's flesh (her ovum) and forming the zygote of His Son.

Reactions: GaveMeJoy
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that Mary was impregnated by a man, as that is the only way that human reproduction is known to occur.

You're denying the Virgin Birth. That's kind of a core Christian doctrine.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Disclaimer to male readers: I am a straight and manly 6 foot 200 pound man, who is red blooded and I am not a progressive or “feminist” or liberal. It’s ok to keep reading and not just dismiss it because you think I’m a woman.

God is a spirit being. God had no gender or physical representation. While Jesus manifested as a male human, he existed as a member of the triune God for eternity before creation.
While it can be argued Jesus is entirely male, there is no scriptural defense for the position that God is male in any way.

The scriptures use the male pronoun to refer to God by default, through translation, and because the scriptures were written in patriarchal societies where the male pronoun would be used for a deity.

The previous sentence sounds weird and is inaccurate. It also doesn’t use common scriptural male terms for God so it feels uncomfortable. However, it is equally as inaccurate as the following sentence:

but seriously, where am I wrong, any scripture to demonstrate God is male? Do you have a problem with my perspective here shared (other than my Lame jokes) or is it acceptable theologically.

thanks! I’m mostly trying this out because I want to talk to my pastor about it but I don’t want to miss anything important. Thanks!
I suspect the response to your request will be to refer to all the male pronouns used. While conveniently ignoring the far fewer references to being female (off the top of my head, Wisdom in Proverbs is female, and God is referred to as a mother hen as well).

The truth is I will continue to refer to God as he, and would balk at Goddess and she. Nothing to do with theology where I am wholeheartedly behind you, just personal preference and to avoid confusion... particularly in these transgender times.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe God is a physical being, and I believe heaven is a physical place I didn't just come to this conclusion over night or anything but calling me a heretic is a bit far.
God is completely other than His creation. Scripture only makes reference to God in physical terms as a condescension to our human frailty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

a-lily-of-peace

Apr 21, 2020
Australia
✟28,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not familiar with the term, but I definitely find some of the statements in this thread (for example, denying that women are created in the image of God) denigrating and likely to cause people to be "riled up."

shalom sister

I feel real spiritual pain at this, because the enemy knows it’s one of the few weapons he has left against me. This is actually spiritual warfare on the deepest level.

And I could make arguments, I could post word studies, I could try to get a point across, but I’ll say the real points:

1. I can not say with absolute certainty (that I would risk my eternal life on it) that God is not 100% male. I can say my interpretations, but not willing to die for them.

so therefore:

1a. If God is literally 100% male I want him to forgive me for feeling pain at my lack of understanding and I remember he promised to wipe away every tear in the next life

and also

1b. If God is literally not 100% male he wants me to forgive anyone else’s pain from lack of understanding because he promised to wipe away every tear in the next life

People will say there is no male or female, no Jew or gentile, no slave or free in Christ. This means, to me, I can’t put my sex, my nationality, or my social class as anything. It’s 100 years at most.

If I ever think that trying to cope with those 100 years is at all more important than God’s plan, even if sometimes it doesn’t even make sense to me, the thing I have to let go of is my need to console my self. Because the Holy Spirit does that for me, I just need to be still, to listen, to feel it, and to be absorbed in Christ where none of this matters any more. That’s real, that’s truth, and that’s the only thing to actually hold on to.

And it’s not like I’m literally enslaved like some children of God are.

Imagine how they feel.

Upvote 0

Zao is life

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Africa
Visit site
✟183,148.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Deleted my post because I repeated the same thing elsewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God is male, called "Father" in the OT and the NT. When God made Adam in his own image, he made him male. Later when he wanted Adam to have a companion, he made a female from him.

Mal_2:10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

1Ch_29:10 Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.

Isa_63:16 Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.

Isa_64:8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Psa_89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

God the Father is always described as looking like an older male in every description that appears in scripture.

Dan 7:9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.

Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Since we know Jesus was a male, we also know the Father is a male who looks like the Son.
Well written, well said.... bang on... solid truth.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don’t believe that God was the literal father of Jesus, I believe that Mary was impregnated by a man, as that is the only way that human reproduction is known to occur. How do you think it occurred - I mean on the cellular level. Specifically.
Well, now the train is completely off the rails... God a female, Christ's birth not of a virgin..What next, Jesus was married?

This thread isn't worth anymore of my time....

One member of the "Bride of Christ" signing off of this one... Over and out.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question is whether God should be said to be "male," which seems to me to be a descriptor for creatures, and God is not a creature.

This seems to me to be a pretty separate matter from that humans are both body and soul. God (say, the Father) doesn't reproduce sexually, and doesn't have a body. Maleness requires a body.

You know as well as I do that maleness goes beyond a biological function. The function is dependent on the gender. The assigned roles for each gender reflect this distinction. The male priesthood is just one example of this.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is neither male or female. Jesus taught the angels are neither male or female (Matthew 22:30).

God trained a woman.

Proverbs 31 KJV

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As God is a spirit and gender free...

Or perhaps gender full, embracing both stereotypes we assign to human gender. Certainly "Father" can only be a handy metaphor that makes some sense to us as it describes a close relationship. We really do get to caught up in our simple analogies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.