frisco
✟88,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This reflects, I think, a confusion between the economic Trinity (the roles each take in creation, redemption and so on), and the ontological Trinity (what they are in the depths of their being). In the economic Trinity, we observe both Son and Spirit being "obedient" to the Father, but in the ontological Trinity, they share one purpose, and work together to bring that purpose about.

I think I agree with the highlighted statement above - I prefer the term "operation" which makes the persons of Trinity different while they are same in their nature.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seen, no. I meant "reveal" in the sense that, in the Bible, God says "this is who I am." And the language there is language of fatherhood.

Well, sure. And that's language of personal, intimate, loving relationship; it's language of authority and guidance and wisdom; it's language of being our Creator in personal terms.

But that doesn't mean God is literally a male being. That's a nonsense outside biology.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is incorrect. monogenēs means only born or sole born as in the one and only of its kind in every appearance. It cannot and does not mean anything else.

G3439
μονογενής
monogenēs
Thayer Definition:
1) single of its kind, only
1a) used of only sons or daughters (viewed in relation to their parents)
1b) used of Christ, denotes the only begotten son of God
Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3441 and G1096
Citing in TDNT: 4:737, 606

The general modern consensus is that monogenēs means "one of a kind" or "only," as in the quote from Thayer's. It is derived from genos = kind (G1085), not from gennaō = beget (G1080).

Upvote 0

James A

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
frisco
✟88,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seen, no. I meant "reveal" in the sense that, in the Bible, God says "this is who I am." And the language there is language of fatherhood.

Yes, by "seen" I meant, "reveal"

I don't think father has revealed Himself to anyone other than Son. "this is my Son" at the Baptism is widely understood as an angel talking on the behalf of Father.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, sure. And that's language of personal, intimate, loving relationship; it's language of authority and guidance and wisdom; it's language of being our Creator in personal terms.

Yes.

But that doesn't mean God is literally a male being. That's a nonsense outside biology.

And I didn't say that.

Upvote 0

James A

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
frisco
✟88,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God the Father reveals Himself in the Bible. We know about Him because He tells us things about Himself.

I am interested to see some verses in this context. I thought it was pre-incarnate Son who appeared to us in Old Testament days ( talked to Adam, visited Abraham etc)

Upvote 0

OrdineeeBe

Prognosticator
May 6, 2020
Los Angeles
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in The Bible that says God The Father is a spiritual being, the majority of Genesis talks about creating Adam in his image specifically, and how humans in general are like him. In Genesis it even said that the thing that was most separating us from God was the tree of life, immortality. Everything in scripture seems to indicate that God The Father is a humanoid, physical, male, immortal being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not getting into a debate. Because, honestly, I don't care if God is a male or female. All I care about is that there is a God who loves me and created me. That's what I care about.

I know some of us are confused as to what Genesis 1:26-27 mean. A few of you are saying, "It literally SAYS that God made Adam in His image." But, it says more. It also STATES female. Remember, basic hermeneutics: Take the SURROUNDING Scripture. You can't take one Scripture and nick-pick at it. You need to take the Bible as a whole. Read below ;)

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Genesis 1:26-27

This Scripture is not at ALL saying that Adam is a man and that is what God is. At all.

There are three approaches people have wondered about what it means to be created in the "image of God":
1) We are image-bearers with intellectual structures, like God.
2) God requires us to function as rulers of creation as they reflect God.
3) Created relationships of humans - they reflect who God is as they relate to God, to other humans, and to nature.

Yes, God does mostly refer to Himself as a male. As a Father, as a King. But, there are also feminine qualities about Him, too.

(I know I just triggered many people. "I can't believe she just said 'God' and 'feminine' in the SAME SENTENCE. Sure did. You'll be okay.).

The Word is literally God-breathed and God has referred to Himself as a "Him", as a "Father." But, there are Scriptures which point to feminity:
  • 'As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.' (Isaiah 66.13, ESV)
  • 'Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.' (Isaiah 49.15, ESV)
  • 'Did I conceive all this people? Did I give them birth, that you should say to me, "Carry them in your bosom, as a nurse carries a nursing child," to the land that you swore to give their fathers?' (Numbers 11.12, ESV)

I can understand the confusion. I believe God shows both male and female traits. I do call God a "He," because that is how I grew up, seeing Him as a Father because He is. But, he also shows Himself as a mother. God is described as both using masculine and feminine imagery.

I believe that male and female are created in His image. Not because God fits strictly into those categories of gender, but because characteristics that females and males show come from God's character.

God has attributes and experiences with both female and male - therefore, these genders reflect the very image of God. Male and females should be able to relate to God because He made them and understands the masculine and feminine experiences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am interested to see some verses in this context.

Every verse in the Bible that mentions God the Father is a revelation from Him about Himself. That's where all the stuff in the Nicene Creed comes from.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is male, called "Father" in the OT and the NT. When God made Adam in his own image, he made him male. Later when he wanted Adam to have a companion, he made a female from him.

Mal_2:10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

1Ch_29:10 Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.

Isa_63:16 Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.

Isa_64:8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Psa_89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

God the Father is always described as looking like an older male in every description that appears in scripture.

Dan 7:9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.

Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Since we know Jesus was a male, we also know the Father is a male who looks like the Son.
So you think god has a human body and male genitals?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So you think god has a human body and male genitals?

God the Father isn't human, so I would say no to both of those. One can be male without either of those.

Aren't angels male yet do not have human bodies?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing in The Bible that says God The Father is a spiritual being

John 4:24: God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

God The Father is a humanoid, physical, male, immortal being.

That is utterly false and deeply heretical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. Only begotten son means Jesus is literally the real son of God the Father.

Not sexual reproduction but Jesus was the product of biological reproduction. God the Father used the Holy Spirit to impregnate Mary.

Mat_1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
How exactly? Reproduction requires sperm.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How exactly? Reproduction requires sperm.

I doubt the holy Spirit used "sperm" to impregnate Mary. Likely some other form of Holy and Divine way that still ended up with a conception. How do you think that was accomplished?

• Agree
Reactions: Sam81
Upvote 0

OrdineeeBe

Prognosticator
May 6, 2020
Los Angeles
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
John 4:24: God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.
The context of this verse and the word spirit used in John 4 is not saying he is a spiritual being with no physical form.
That is utterly false and deeply heretical.
I am aware that most sects of Christianity believe in some spiritual absolutism about God except for God the father, but nothing in The Bible indicates this. In fact there's no reason to assume quite a lot of things are merely spiritual alone. If we were talking about The Holy Spirit that would be a different matter tho.

I believe God is a physical being, and I believe heaven is a physical place I didn't just come to this conclusion over night or anything but calling me a heretic is a bit far.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I doubt the holy Spirit used "sperm" to impregnate Mary. Likely some other form of Holy and Divine way that still ended up with a conception. How do you think that was accomplished?
I don’t believe that God was the literal father of Jesus, I believe that Mary was impregnated by a man, as that is the only way that human reproduction is known to occur. How do you think it occurred - I mean on the cellular level. Specifically.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.