Girls, do you care about how much a guy earns?

Do you care about how much your SO earns?

• I don't care, even if he's unemployed

• He just needs to be able to hold down a job and work hard

• I wouldn't want to date someon who earnt less than me

• I really want to marry someone who earns a lot, in local terms

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

deliciousBass

Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
DC Metro
✟27,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
With poll coming. I'm just curious, because I don't.

Why don't you care? What if he's a great guy but has just filed for bankruptcy since he can't pay his bills and only makes enough to support himself and not pay for food/entertainment on dates? Like he can't even afford to rent a movie to watch on a Friday night?

Upvote 0

joanna1

Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
✟18,877.00
Faith
Christian
Why don't you care? What if he's a great guy but has just filed for bankruptcy since he can't pay his bills and only makes enough to support himself and not pay for food/entertainment on dates? Like he can't even afford to rent a movie to watch on a Friday night?
That's not the point....... Of course I'll care, because in that case, it'll be a reflection of his character anyway (well most of the time. If it's not, I won't care)
The point is guys keep complaining about girls looking at their paychecks, and I just don't believe it's true. People seem to think they'll get better girls by earning more, or that they don't get girls because they don't have a high salary.
Of course, having healthy spending habits, being able to maintain a job and being ready to do what it takes to put bread on the table is important.

But do I care more for a guy who owns a nice house and a flashy car than for one who has a less lucrative activity, but who displays equal personal qualities? No, not one bit. In fact my future "standard of living", providing we're not talking debt and struggling to find food and drink and not being able to pay the bills, is really the last of my preoccupations.

Upvote 0

deliciousBass

Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
DC Metro
✟27,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But do I care more for a guy who owns a nice house and a flashy car than for one who has a less lucrative activity, but who displays equal personal qualities? No, not one bit.

That's great, I wish there were more girls who felt the same.

I feel a lot of pressure here to make a good income and be able to afford a high standard of living for my would-be s/o's.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

What You See Is What You Get!
Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nope. It is important to me that he works to support his family and that he/we are able to pay our bills and I do enjoy traveling so I'd like to be able to a nice vacation every couple of years but it doesn't matter to me if he's a heart surgeon or a garbage man...we will adjust our lifestyle according to the level of our income.

Upvote 0

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I voted "He just needs to be able to hold down a job and work hard"

I need to know he can be at least somewhat supportive. The other important part is though that when he does earn money he doesn't just go blow it all. I'm not against spoiling yourself sometimes, but when there is a need for something that should come before wants and things like that.

Upvote 0

joanna1

Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
✟18,877.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. It is important to me that he works to support his family and that he/we are able to pay our bills and I do enjoy traveling so I'd like to be able to a nice vacation every couple of years but it doesn't matter to me if he's a heart surgeon or a garbage man...we will adjust our lifestyle according to the level of our income.
I'm relieved all the answers so far ar confirming my feelings... I really do get the impression that this whole money business is a male fantasy. I hope that if the poll is conclusive enough the good on cf will be encouraged by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid it goes further then that though. I have very much been under the impression that if a guy lives at home, even if he has ambition he is not likely to get many dates. Especially if the girl lives on her own, thats why I really just avoid girls that live on their own.

I'm sorry what women say and what they do I think are two different things.

Upvote 0

Alexandrah

Jul 26, 2007
✟9,066.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't care what he earns as long as he can take care of himself.

I became independent from my family financially when I was young and it's something I'm very proud of. I work hard to maintain my quality of life and I enjoy my job, I have no interest in dating someone that doesn't have the same outlook.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm afraid it goes further then that though. I have very much been under the impression that if a guy lives at home, even if he has ambition he is not likely to get many dates. Especially if the girl lives on her own, thats why I really just avoid girls that live on their own.

I'm sorry what women say and what they do I think are two different things.
Luther - how does living at home enter this picture? And having ambition is a totally different thing than actually DOING something with that ambition.

I would have a problem with a guy that has ambition up the wahzoo and sits on his butt and does nothing about it. If you live at home because you can't afford to live on your own then you need to work hard at finding another job that gives you the ability to live on your own or adjust the type of place you want to live in - rent a one bedroom or a studio instead of a 2 bedroom or whatever.

Just because a guy has ambition doesn't necessarily mean he takes action on that ambition.

JMHO

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther - how does living at home enter this picture? And having ambition is a totally different thing than actually DOING something with that ambition.

I would have a problem with a guy that has ambition up the wahzoo and sits on his butt and does nothing about it. If you live at home because you can't afford to live on your own then you need to work hard at finding another job that gives you the ability to live on your own or adjust the type of place you want to live in - rent a one bedroom or a studio instead of a 2 bedroom or whatever.

Just because a guy has ambition doesn't necessarily mean he takes action on that ambition.

JMHO

Why do you think I'm trying to get into school to get a masters in accounting. My BSBA hasn't done me any good thus far.

But you are communicating what I'm saying. Women expect results which translates into a good job and a minimum level of income.

You do want a minimum level of income. For me, I would like to see her work, mostly to know she isn't lazy. I don't care where she works, McDonald's it doesn't really matter.

But no adult woman is dating the McDonalds employee of the month. Even if he does work from open til close 6 days a week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think I'm trying to get into school to get a masters in accounting. My BSBA hasn't done me any good thus far.

But you are communicating what I'm saying. Women expect results which translates into a good job and a minimum level of income.

You do want a minimum level of income. For me, I would like to see her work, mostly to know she isn't lazy. I don't care where she works, McDonald's it doesn't really matter.

But no adult woman is dating the McDonalds employee of the month. Even if he does work from open til close 6 days a week.
Luther - you're misinterpreting what I am saying. You are trying to get your masters! That to me is great and I wouldn't have a problem at all dating a guy who was furthering his education. What I was trying to say is that if a guy "talks" about having ambition but isn't actually "doing" anything to accomplish his goals - that's what I would have a problem with.

If you are living at home so that you can afford to go to school - I don't see problem with that either. Now if you were 45 (which is in my dating age bracket) then yeah - I'd have to think twice about what was really going on BUT I dated a guy that was talking about going back to school and we discussed the steps he would have to take and how he would have to adjust his lifestyle in order to make that happen - and I was ok with the plan.

I also disagree with you about a woman not dating a guy who works full time at McDonalds. Uhhh not every person who works at McDonalds is single. If that is the only job that he would be able to get - then I would proud of him for working hard every day and taking a job - any job to help support himself and his family.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So how many women here can honestly say they would go out with an adult guy that works at McDonalds?

I really hate it when women play innocent on this issue.
And I really hate it when men assume they know better what a woman is thinking even after she and countless others have stated the opposite. :)

Reactions: joanna1
Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So how many women here can honestly say they would go out with an adult guy that works at McDonalds?

I really hate it when women play innocent on this issue.
honestly i wouldn't care if he worked at mcdonalds. I've worked customer service/retail/etc... jobs since i was 17 and i know there's no shame in that line of work. If it puts money in his pocket, it pays his bills, who cares?

i would much rather date a mcdonald's employee than someone who was able to work yet just sat on his butt all day at home because he was just too lazy to get a job.

Upvote 0