Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
in that case, what proof do you have that it was false.
How about the fact that there is no proof of it ever happening? Or the fact that it's impossible for the entire world to become flooded?

Upvote 0

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What exactly is so "dangerous" about homosexuality, besides the fact that it's a sin? Put aside your Bible for a second (even though it's difficult for you), and give me a straight, non-religious answer.
You know what I will for a second put my bible aside, and tell you all where I'm really coming from.

I don't need a bible to tell you that the many years I spent searching for affection and love in relationships with other women hurt me more than helped me, and was rooted in the many prior hurts and pains I had experienced, same-sex attraction was merely how i dealt with it. I don't need a bible to tell you that true change could only come when Christ was in the picture , and I accepted his help.
now do you understand why this is such a big deal to me?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know what I will for a second put my bible aside, and tell you all where I'm really coming from.

I don't need a bible to tell you that the many years I spent searching for affection and love in relationships with other women hurt me more than helped me, and was rooted in the many prior hurts and pains I had experienced, same-sex attraction was merely how i dealt with it. I don't need a bible to tell you that true change could only come when Christ was in the picture , and I accepted his help.
now do you understand why this is such a big deal to me?
But why should you expect other women to face the exact same problems that you did, though? I'm sorry that you went through that, honestly, I am. But is that really any reason to take human rights away from a group of people?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
but you can't give me proof of it not happening ......can you?
The fact that it's logically impossible for the entire world to flood is proof that it never happened, though. If something can't happen, then it wouldn't have happened in the past.

Upvote 0

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But why should you expect other women to face the exact same problems that you did, though? I'm sorry that you went through that, honestly, I am. But is that really any reason to take human rights away from a group of people?
taking away right's ? where did that come in? no.

knowing that it's wrong? yes.

preaching through love and by example?
yes.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You cannot prove that your god is "true" nor can you prove that he's "real." So you can stop stating those things as fact. You may believe that your god is true and real, but that does not give you the license to tell non-Christians to follow your holy book. All beliefs are equally true, since they are all based on faith. Got it? Good.
For those of you who don't know what humanism boils down to, this is it in a nutshell; worshipping yourself and other humans instead of God.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Again, if you hold belief in a global flood, it certainly falls under the category of brainwashed belief that could be attributed to some parts of Christianity.
:scratch:

I love your sweeping and unsubstantiated generalizations here...

What does 'Cydonia' mean in your user title?

Upvote 0

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
no, i don't want you to feel sorry for me, there's no reason, i count it joy who i used to be and who i am now.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
but you can't give me proof of it not happening ......can you?
You could start with the fact that it couldn't happen - no where for the water to come from and nowhere for it to go.

The fact that if it did happen there would have to be evidence to that effect in all sorts of places.

The fact that it can't have happened in (say) the last 40,000 years because there have been continous human civilisations on the opposite side of the planet for longer than that.

etc...

Refusing to acknowledge evidence of reality because religious sources deny said evidence could reasonably be callled brainwashing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The fact that it's logically impossible for the entire world to flood is proof that it never happened, though. If something can't happen, then it wouldn't have happened in the past.
let me ask you this?

just for clarification what exactly do you believe, for yourself, drop science for a moment, and tell me what YOU believe on your own, and why?

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You could start with the fact that it couldn't happen - no where for the water to come from and nowhere for it to go.
Do some research of your own, instead of just assuming. This has possible answers.
The fact that if it did happen there would have to be evidence to that effect in all sorts of places.
:sigh: You really haven't done any research into the Biblical side of the story, have you...

The fact that it can't have happened in (say) the last 40,000 years because there have been continous human civilisations on the opposite side of the planet for longer than that.
Oh really? Let's see some evidence for these numbers.

Refusing to acknowledge evidence of reality because religious sources deny said evidence could reasonably be callled brainwashing.
Perhaps you've been brainwashed by those who try to discredit God's Word. The evidence is the same for all. If you're an Anglican, as your faith icon says, then you should be able to explain why there is sin and death in this world. Here's a hint; why did Jesus die for us?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Do some research of your own, instead of just assuming. This has possible answers.[/quoted]
I've yet to see one that added up or didn't cause more problems that it solved

:sigh: You really haven't done any research into the Biblical side of the story, have you...
enough, yes

Oh really? Let's see some evidence for these numbers.

Perhaps you've been brainwashed by those who try to discredit God's Word.
The evidence is there, and nobody outside certain religous groups denies it - that sounds plausibly close to brainwashing to me.

I'm not going to debate the evidence itself as:
a. there are whole forums for that already
b. nobody denies the evidence except religious groups, that in itself points towards it being a religious denial of evidence.

If you're an Anglican, as your faith icon says, then you should be able to explain why there is sin and death in this world. Here's a hint; why did Jesus die for us?
That's explained best through a story (or stories) because that's the best way to explain it. I certainly don't claim to be able to do it better than the myth/storytellers God inspired to write Genesis.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps you've been brainwashed by those who try to discredit God's Word. The evidence is the same for all.
Plainly false. Evidence can be used in support of a single conclusion - no piece of evidence, when scientific methodology is applied to it, can support two contrary viewpoints against each other. Anyone who says that evidence is open to interpretation is grasping to try and take the other side of the argument down to their level (in other words, making it something less than science). The evidence is the same for all, and the conclusion should be the same for all, but unfortunately there are those out there who are willing to be dishonest for their religious convictions.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've yet to see one that added up or didn't cause more problems that it solved
...and the evolutionary, billions of years explanations all add up and don't cause other problems? The facts are this; nobody knows exactly what happened. All we have is theories. YET, we do have the Words which God gave to us. They tell us that we are created, death entered this world because of man's sin, Noah's flood did happen, Jesus was sacrificed in place of us for our sins, and this sinful and decaying world will be renewed in the future. That is the main storyline of Christianity. If you pick and choose what you like from God's Word, then you are not only creating conflict with many of today's secular scientists, but also with the cornerstone of your religion.

The evidence is there, and nobody outside certain religous groups denies it - that sounds plausibly close to brainwashing to me.
What evidence are people denying???
I'm not going to debate the evidence itself as:
a. there are whole forums for that already
True. Yet, you choose to participate in this argument. This entire thread was started as a troll thread anyway. We might as well run with it. :)

b. nobody denies the evidence except religious groups, that in itself points towards it being a religious denial of evidence.
Again, what evidence is being denied? Perhaps you're referring to some of the groups who think that fossils were only placed there by God in order to trick people? I'm taking a wild guess that that only accounts for a very small minority of Christians. That idea is one the same level as the secular idea that there's a magical cloud in space that creates comets, that life was created from nothing in a big random explosion, etc.

That's explained best through a story (or stories) because that's the best way to explain it. I certainly don't claim to be able to do it better than the myth/storytellers God inspired to write Genesis.
When the original language is clear about the time it took for God to create the Earth, the circumstances about the flood, and then our Lord and Saviour Christ Jesus makes references (direct references, in the case of the flood) to these things as being factual in the Gospels, then it is a hermeneutical error to pass these certain things off as myths. They must be true, or else you've completely compromised the integrity of the Bible, including the entire basis and purpose for the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Plainly false. Evidence can be used in support of a single conclusion - no piece of evidence, when scientific methodology is applied to it, can support two contrary viewpoints against each other. Anyone who says that evidence is open to interpretation is grasping to try and take the other side of the argument down to their level (in other words, making it something less than science). The evidence is the same for all, and the conclusion should be the same for all, but unfortunately there are those out there who are willing to be dishonest for their religious convictions.
There is one glaring problem here; something in the past cannot have scientific method applied to it. You cannot test the past. You can only look at the current evidence and make a guess. You should know that.

BTW, you still haven't told us about 'Cydonia'. :) I think it's an interesting topic.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Girl Crush?

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Apparently it's this thing where straight girls are allowed to have a small crush on another girl, and thing she's hot etc., but they say it's okay because it doesn't develop into anything more.

Has anybody heard of this before, is this something new or what?

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging how attractive someone is. But to call that a 'girl crush' is....weird. :doh:

Why do people always have to turn something so simple into something perverted? :eek:

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
There is one glaring problem here; something in the past cannot have scientific method applied to it. You cannot test the past. You can only look at the current evidence and make a guess. You should know that.
Here, I'll explain it for you so that you hopefully won't make this mistake again. See, this is what we normally attribute to a lack of familiarity with scientific methodology. A layman, looking at the topic, might arrive at the same conclusion you did - we cannot test the past. Unfortunately, the layman is incorrect - we can test the past. We cannot test the past in the sense that you might be thinking of, in terms of throwing it into a laboratory and performing some controlled experiments on it, but that isn't a requirement of science. Science is predictive. When a theory is established, its purpose is to make predictions, whether they are about things that happen, things that will happen, or things that have already happened that have not yet been explored. This last bit is key. If a prediction is made and evidence is later turned up that validates that prediction, the theory becomes stronger. If a prediction is made and evidence is turned up that invalidates the prediction, the theory needs to be altered (or in the most damning of cases, discarded). So, for instance, someone studying whether or not the flood has occurred can test that prediction by saying "If a global flood had happened, we should find X," where X is a certain piece of evidence that a global flood had occurred.

In other words, your criticism is understandable as you probably are not too familiar with how scientific study is conducted, but that doesn't make it any less invalid.
BTW, you still haven't told us about 'Cydonia'. :) I think it's an interesting topic.
Cydonia? It's a geographical region of Mars. My title, however, is a reference to the song "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
...and the evolutionary, billions of years explanations all add up and don't cause other problems?
Not in the same way, no.

he facts are this; nobody knows exactly what happened.
We don't need to know exactly what happened - we do know an awful lot about what happened.

All we have is theories.
Very well supported theories that make accurate predictions.

YET, we do have the Words which God gave to us. They tell us that we are created,
Indeed

death entered this world because of man's sin,
indeed

Noah's flood did happen,
Um, no. They tell us a story about Noah and a flood - they do not tell us that it actually happened as written.

Jesus was sacrificed in place of us for our sins, and this sinful and decaying world will be renewed in the future.
Indeed

That is the main storyline of Christianity.
If you pick and choose what you like from God's Word, then you are not only creating conflict with many of today's secular scientists, but also with the cornerstone of your religion.
I'm not picking and choosing. We agree it's all true, we just disagree about which bits are factual.

What evidence are people denying???
That hardly needs spelling out, and I'm not going to do so just to keep you entertained.

True. Yet, you choose to participate in this argument. This entire thread was started as a troll thread anyway. We might as well run with it. :)
Run with it all you like - I'm choosing not to bother debating the particulars of the evidence - it's too boring.

When the original language is clear about the time it took for God to create the Earth, the circumstances about the flood,
The language is clear about the details - within the context of non-factual literary styles.

and then our Lord and Saviour Christ Jesus makes references (direct references, in the case of the flood) to these things as being factual in the Gospels,
He makes direct references, but none of his references imply those stories are factual. They are compatible with the stories being factual, but they are also compatible with the stories being shared cultural stories in the nature of myth etc.

They must be true, or else you've completely compromised the integrity of the Bible, including the entire basis and purpose for the Gospel.
This is simply untrue.

Reactions: Dannager
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.