California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What on earth do you want to force yourself to watch the news for?

It's propaganda and anger.
No, not the news. Just the Youtube videos of Turkey and Syria. The earthquake rescuers workers saving lives.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I admit to being human, to being limited in what I can think and consider about. I don't have bottomless concern for everyone. I am not God and you are not either. If you are going to act is your love is infinite and your compassion endless, you are being a self-righteous liar.
God calls us all to pray continuously. Sorry, you if didn't learn this. Stop looking at me, look to him. Love is a command. For example, I don't like you, but still, I have to love you. God bless you.

[Luk 18:1 NIV] 1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

[Eph 6:18 NIV] 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God calls us all to pray continuously. Sorry, you if didn't learn this. Stop looking at me, look to him. Love is a command. For example, I don't like you, but still, I have to love you. God bless you.

[Luk 18:1 NIV] 1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

[Eph 6:18 NIV] 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.
Excuse me, you're the one sitting in judgement of all of us for not caring enough about the people of Turkey. You don't love me, you don't love me and we all know you don't have infinite compassion stored within your mere human heart. Get off of your throne.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me, you're the one sitting in judgement of all of us for not caring enough about the people of Turkey. You don't love me, you don't love me and we all know you don't have infinite compassion stored within your mere human heart. Get off of your throne.
This is not about me. Don't talk gibberish. I am in Christ. Saved by his sacrifice. Again, yes I don't like you, but I have to love you. Do you know that verse?

God loves the people of Turkey and Syria. Pray for them.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is not about me. Don't talk gibberish. I am in Christ. Saved by his sacrifice. Again, yes I don't like you, but I have to love you. Do you know that verse?

God loves the people of Turkey and Syria. Pray for them.
Again, you don't love me because you don't know me. Yet you made this thread about you when you began judging everyone for not, what exactly? Showing enough awareness? What do you expect of CF forums?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This seems like it's just a longer, more judgmental version of one of those annoying FB posts about how "I bet none of my FB friends will share this jpeg of a teddy bear praying because NOBODY LOVES JESUS BUT MEEEE!" or whatever. Geez.

We get it. You care so much. You even spell Turkey in the way that the Islamist neo-Sultan wants you to. What do you want for all your efforts at enlightening us mere mortals -- your own stolen Greek Orthodox seminary or Syriac Orthodox monastery? :rolleyes: There are only so many to go around, just like how there's only so much sanctimony you can spout at your 'fellow Christians' before they stop listening to you.

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟211.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I pray that we would all stop piling on OP regarding the same disagreement. He has many, many people vehemently disagreeing with his post and I'm sure he gets the crux of the disagreement by now. It's an emotional topic as it involves immense suffering, life, death and salvation. But if you are to continue in disputation please let us keep in the front of our minds the love and grace of our Lord who died for all of us while we were His enemies in our discourse and let us try to preemptively forgive each other our mistakes without the need for the apology of the other.

1 Corinthians 13:1, Colossians 3:13

God bless :heart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I myself am praying for the people involved. I am praying especially persecuted Christians in Turkey and Syria, for example the Syriac Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, Syriac Catholics, Antiochian Orthodox, Melkite Catholics and the Assyrians, which include some of the last Aramaic speaking communities in the Christian world, for example the Turoyo dialect of Syriac spoken by some Syriac Orthodox in Tur Abdin in Turkey, which is close to where this dreadful earthquake occurred.

I am also praying that Islamists do not take advantage of this for further persecution. For example, a common Islamic practice is to prohibit Christians from repairing damaged churches, and this is known to occur in Turkey (there is unrepaired damage even at the Cathedral of St. George in Constantinople).

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Here at CF or go to any Christian forum, discord, etc. You’ll see discussion of every other topic but this. I'm not talking about news articles.

Sometimes I really wonder about our Christianity. 30,000+ people die people are crushed and trapped under buildings and we can just go on our next sermon and worship service. I don’t see the pain and compassion shared for the suffering that is happening in the church. Sure we can send our finances to this and that relief organization, but still, I see something else. Not even a discussion about this here. We’re too busy with our comfortable lives here in the West or is it our doctrines we hide behind?

There should have been international fasting and prayer mourning with the cancellation of all other meetings. Twenty-four-hour prayer chains just praying for the people of Türkiye in Syria. Yes, that would be the Church. We should be attending vigils, alongside Turkish and Syrian people. What would Jesus do is lost in translation while we cling to our false piety, while the world goes to hell in a handbasket and we say “oh well, what’s for dinner?”

Shame on us. It is sin. As the late Christian singer Keith Green said, “This generation of Christians is responsible for this generation of souls on earth.” I’m not here to win blessing points or win a popularity contest. Let’s get rid of apathy and indifference.

The Lord Jesus said, [Mat 21:13 NIV] "It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it 'a den of robbers.'" What den is your church?

[Jas 4:17 NIV] 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

[Jon 4:10-11 NIV] But the LORD said, "You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell they're right hand from their left--and also many animals?"

[Rev 3:15-17 NIV] 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
How do you know who is praying and for what? Just because people do not behave as you expect, does not mean that no one cares.

The government of Turkey is totally responsible for this catastrophe, at least in Turkey. The Turks know that they are earthquake prone. They have resisted building to codes that would prevent the wholesale destruction of homes and apartments. Meanwhile Christians are routinely persecuted and even murdered by Muslims in many majority Muslim nations. Ninevah repented. Muslims have had centuries to repent of their wicked ways and still refuse.

All Erdogan could be is fatalistic, which is the typical Muslim response. People are trying to help in Syria. Some are being shot at for their trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I myself am praying for the people involved. I am praying especially persecuted Christians in Turkey and Syria, for example the Syriac Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, Syriac Catholics, Antiochian Orthodox, Melkite Catholics and the Assyrians, which include some of the last Aramaic speaking communities in the Christian world, for example the Turoyo dialect of Syriac spoken by some Syriac Orthodox in Tur Abdin in Turkey, which is close to where this dreadful earthquake occurred.

I am also praying that Islamists do not take advantage of this for further persecution. For example, a common Islamic practice is to prohibit Christians from repairing damaged churches, and this is known to occur in Turkey (there is unrepaired damage even at the Cathedral of St. George in Constantinople).
Yes, and the Hagia Sophia has been turned into a mosque.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, and the Hagia Sophia has been turned into a mosque.
Indeed, which is another recent nightmare of Islamism being imposed upon the beleaguered Christians, who as it was under the settlement of Ataturk, had to contend with worship being prohibited in the Hagia Sophia, but at least it wasn’t a mosque.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, yes I don't like you, but I have to love you

I don't like you but I have to love you? Do you think God loves a cheerful giver, or one who is only doing with gritted teeth in hopes for a reward, because they have to?

Seriously, people are pointing out something you need to truly consider, your language is troublesome indeed from the OP through this post.

If you like I can rewrite every post you authored in this thread to show you something..

I get frustrated, I think everyone does but it's then we need to be the most careful because we are likely to speak from the flesh and say things that don't reflect God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So in the book of Acts, they were all disobeying cause everyone could see each other praying? Shall I give you the verses? Individual prayer is only half of it. It's "Our father" not "my father."

You don't think the world around us sees what the Church is doing or not doing?

Yes only on Christ's merit do we pray. God bless
Nothing I said mentioned disobeying. Nothing is wrong with seeing others praying or with others seeing us praying.

Not everyone can be part of a large crowd or prayer vigil. We pray where we are. We pray at home, at a desk at work, while working in our yard, at the dinner table with our family. Those prayers are just as powerful as the prayers of 2,000 gathered in a large place of worship or 200 gathered on a street corner. Prayer is anywhere with anyone, or alone by yourself. It's powerful and God hears it. Simply because you or any other person doesn't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening. It doesn't mean that people don't care. It just means we don't all have the same opportunities to be in a public place with masses of people to pray. God hears our prayers despite that.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why not urge prayer & contributions to relief agencies? Agencies such as International Orthodox Christian Charities, Catholic Relief Services etc.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Why not urge prayer & contributions to relief agencies? Agencies such as International Orthodox Christian Charities, Catholic Relief Services etc.

Absolutely. I would also suggest contacting your local Syriac Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic or Melkite/Syriac Catholic parish to find out what they are doing. I do know the Syriac Orthodox community because it straddles the border of Syria and Turkey was particularly hard hit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here is a report from the Syriac Orthodox Church's Eastern Diocese of the United States on some kind of prayer service held together with the local Greek Orthodox bishop in Washington D.C., attended by H.E. Mor Dionysius John Kawak of said diocese:

"On Tuesday, February 14, 2023, His Eminence Mor Dionysius John Kawak accompanied by V. Rev. Fr. Joseph Shabo and V. Rev. Fr. Joseph Chamoun was invited by His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros, the Greek Orthodox Archbishop of America to attend the Interfaith Prayer Service for all the victims of the horrific event of the earthquake that took place in Turkiye and in Syria at Georgetown University in Washington D.C.

His Eminence Mor Dionysius John Kawak shared a few words of compassion and comfort during the interfaith gathering."

I am not a fan of interfaith things, as ecumenism as understood by those outside of the Orthodox Church tends to be a catalyst for watering down important doctrines, but I have a hard time imagining that praying for earthquake victims would rise to that level, let alone just speaking at a gathering (it's not clear from the description whether H.E. actually prayed with the others; even the photo that shows him with his head bowed looks more like a 'moment of silence' kind of thing, rather than any kind of corporate prayer). It's a basic thing that everyone should be doing (and is already doing in their own parishes, I'm sure), but it's good to see leaders of the churches in the affected region come together at such a trying time.

And, yes, @The Liturgist, the Syriac Orthodox Church appears to have been hit especially hard. In the last few days I've seen several pictures of Syriac Orthodox churches destroyed in the earthquake, and read a eulogy written for a young believer who was lost. It's horrific, just as I'm sure it is for the members of other communities who are experiencing the same pain. Maranatha.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here at CF or go to any Christian forum, discord, etc. You’ll see discussion of every other topic but this. I'm not talking about news articles.

Sometimes I really wonder about our Christianity. 30,000+ people die people are crushed and trapped under buildings and we can just go on our next sermon and worship service. I don’t see the pain and compassion shared for the suffering that is happening in the church. Sure we can send our finances to this and that relief organization, but still, I see something else. Not even a discussion about this here. We’re too busy with our comfortable lives here in the West or is it our doctrines we hide behind?

There should have been international fasting and prayer mourning with the cancellation of all other meetings. Twenty-four-hour prayer chains just praying for the people of Türkiye in Syria. Yes, that would be the Church. We should be attending vigils, alongside Turkish and Syrian people. What would Jesus do is lost in translation while we cling to our false piety, while the world goes to hell in a handbasket and we say “oh well, what’s for dinner?”

Shame on us. It is sin. As the late Christian singer Keith Green said, “This generation of Christians is responsible for this generation of souls on earth.” I’m not here to win blessing points or win a popularity contest. Let’s get rid of apathy and indifference.

The Lord Jesus said, [Mat 21:13 NIV] "It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it 'a den of robbers.'" What den is your church?

[Jas 4:17 NIV] 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

[Jon 4:10-11 NIV] But the LORD said, "You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell they're right hand from their left--and also many animals?"

[Rev 3:15-17 NIV] 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
There is a prayer section on the site, maybe you can start one.

Upvote 0