Getting to heaven

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I really want to get to heaven. I never found out how; scriptures are pretty vague about this.

Anyone can explain?

Instead of studying about 'going to heaven'-- the popular term, look up the word 'resurrection.' The hope of Christians is the resurrection of the dead at the return of Christ. Ultimately, we wait for the new heaven and the new earth.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I really want to get to heaven. I never found out how; scriptures are pretty vague about this.

Anyone can explain?
Jesus said that nobody can come to The Father but by Him. He said that many would expect Him to save them on the day of judgement, because they had done all sorts of good things in His name. But He says they are workers of iniquity, because He never knew them and they didn't do the will of The Father. (Matthew 7:21-23).

So it is that we need to actually know Him and obey Him, then He can lead us to do the will of The Father.. otherwise we are doing our own will in His name, or even our pastor's will in His name. (John 10:1-5).

But how is it that we can know Jesus in this present age? .. There is John 14:21. This is the only way. This is why Jesus said the likes of Luke 14:26-33 and Matthew 19:29.

Upvote 0

messager777

Sep 19, 2017
south georgia
✟2,107.00
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Anyone can explain?
The main differences between religions are what happens after death and the way/path to heaven.

The Jews still "falsely" think they will die and go to heaven by just believing in God and keeping Moses Law.

Similarly, the Muslims "falsely" think they will die and go to heaven by just believing in Allah and keeping Muhammad/Sharia Law.

The Christians "rightly" think they will die and go to heaven(= saved from hell) by believing in God, His Son Jesus(JOHN.3:16) and then they should keep Moses Law, either fully(for Jewish Christians) or partially(for Gentile Christians - ACTS.15:24-29).
....... Catholics also believe in Mother Mary, patron saints and purgatory.

The Buddhists and Hindus "falsely" think they will die and suffer cycles of reincarnation/rebirth until they attain mental perfection through enlightenment/nirvana and become nothingness or god-like or whatever(= Zen).

The atheists "falsely" think they will just die and turn to dust = become nothingness or non-being, ie there is no hell or heaven or reincarnation.

Etc.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

The above cannot be proven personally, unless he/she has died, ie those who are alive cannot yet see heaven or hell. To enter the kingdom of heaven requires faith, ie faith in Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.(JOHN.1:25)

The Word of God or Bible has true stories about some believers who had died and went to heaven, eg Abraham, Lazarus the beggar, Moses, Elijah, etc - LUKE.16:19-31, MATTHEW.17:3 & 27:52.

Essentially, Christians trust/believe/have-faith in God/Jesus and His Word that they will die, be resurrected or raptured, spend 1,000 years(= the Millennium) with Jesus Christ on a new earth and finally enter into the presence of God in His kingdom of heaven.(MATTHEW.4:17, JOHN.3:16, 1THESS.4:16, REV.21:1)

Those "Christians" who wantonly or ignorantly commit sins/evil-deeds unrepentantly by breaking God's Law risk losing their salvation, like the wife of Job who cursed God/Jesus and died while suffering horribly for Job's ignorant sin.(JOB.1:5 & 3:25, 1COR.5:1-5 & 6:9-11 & 11:30, REV.22:12-15, 1JOHN.5:16-19)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

HEBREWS.11: = 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.

3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where does it say, in the Bible, that we are saved by works as well as faith?

(Ephesians 2:8-9)--For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast..

Now we are told to build up reward in Heaven based on good works. But good works do not get you in there.

The Bible says that those who persevere to the end will be saved and that it is by our testimony in Messiah, and by His Blood that we are saved.
But why are we focusing on what Paul said and ignoring what Jesus Himself said about the topic?

Mark 10:17-25

When did Jesus say that you have to have faith in His sacrifice in order to get to Heaven?

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Anyone can explain?

When you die, you'll descend into Sheol, where you will either repose in Gan Eden/Paradise if you've been forgiven your sins, or you will pay for your unforgiven sins in Gehenna and then, once you have paid, will proceed to Gan Eden to await final judgment.

At final judgment, if you have unforgiven sins of murder, sexual immorality, lying, cowardice, idolatry, drug peddling, or being a "dog", you will fail and be left outside in outer darkness or cast into the lake of fire for the second (and final) death. If you have been forgiven your sins you will pass final judgment and walk through one of the 12 gates of the City of God, to repose with God for the eons.

Paradise before final judgment, and the City of God afterwards, are the "heaven" to which you aspire.

To get there, Jesus said you have to be free of your sins (specifically the mortal sins, if you're talking about final judgment). To be free of sins you have to do one of two things, either (a) never commit them in the first place - that can work for babies and very little children - or (b) be forgiven the sins you have committed.

To be forgiven your sins, Jesus gave one path: you will be forgiven your sins by God if - and only to the extent that - you forgive the sins of other people against you.

So, given that you're old enough to be reading and posting on a message board, you're a mortal sinner headed into Gehenna, and maybe the Lake of Fire after that, if your sins are sufficiently grave that they are not paid in Gehenna before final judgment.

Jesus said you'll pay your debt of unforgiven sin in Gehenna - making it Purgatory - but many people are stubborn in their refusal to believe that. Assuming that you're one of them, you'll STILL pay your debt of sin in Gehenna. But if you don't, you'll go to final judgment with that debt of sin.

Then, whether you are forgiven your sins or not depends entirely on the degree to which you forgave others their sins against you.

So, if your objective is to "go to Heaven" when you die, the best single thing you can do is forgive everybody everything they have done to you, and then God will forgive you all of your sins and when you die you will go to Paradise, and at final judgment you will pass and walk into the City.

The simple answer is: forgive everybody their sins against you, and you will be forgiven everything by God.

It is not realistic to expect men to not sin. You will sin. It is far easier to forgive then to remain completely pure. So forgive and stop worrying.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When did Jesus say that you have to have faith in His sacrifice in order to get to Heaven?

He didn't. Jesus said you have to forgive everybody their sins against you, to be forgiven by God your sins against him. That's the only path to forgiveness that Jesus gave, so it is the Law of God and to ignore it and not forgive is to throw one's self into Gehenna and then into the Lake of Fire.

If you want to go to heaven, you have to be forgiven your sins by God. Jesus gave only one single way for that to happen: forgive others their sins against you, and you will be forgiven by God in proportion to the degree you forgave.

Jesus never gave any OTHER way, so therefore that is the ONLY way to be forgiven by God.

Go to confession, and don't forgive others? Still going to hell.

Believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior and died for your sins, and don't forgive others? Still going to hell.

Be a pagan somewhere who forgives others everything but knows nothing of Jesus? Probably going to heaven.

• Friendly
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Prior to conversion, we are acceptable to Christ for conversion, ... not acceptable/fit for heaven.

Which is why Christ issues this invitation ....

"Come to Me, ALL who labor and are heavy laden ... and I will give you rest."

No requirements there except willingness to COME ...

Using the term "acceptable" is misleading. It implies being in a condition of which God approves. No unregenerate sinner is in such a condition. God extends salvation to us when what we deserve is eternal hell. No lost person, then, stands before God accepted by, or acceptable to, Him. It is only through Christ that we are made acceptable to God. (Eph. 1:6) His offer of salvation to the wicked is a testament to God's grace and loving character, not to anything acceptable or worthy in the lost sinner.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Anyone can explain?

I have read several books by Pastor Rick Joyner who claims to have had several visionary dreams of heaven.

What he has written is so brilliant that I personally believe that his claim is true.

He does a great job of explaining how simple acceptance of the sacrifice of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus on our behalf is something of a minimum requirement to make it into a part of heaven that may be operating at a lower level of energy than some of the higher levels.

The Hordes of Hell are Marching

Pastor Rick Joyner, The Final Quest:
"The Judgment Seat of Christ

I gazed one final time around the huge room inside of the mountain. The treasures of the truth of Salvation were kept here. It seemed that there was no end to their expanse or beauty. I could not imagine that the rooms which contained the other great truths of the faith could be any more glorious. This helped me to understand why so many Christian never wanted to leave this place. The large gems which represented the different aspects of Salvation all exuded a glory far beyond any earthly beauty. It was wonderful beyond description, and I knew that I could stay here for eternity and never get bored."

Pastor Rick Joyner:
"I then noticed someone I had known on earth. He had been a faithful believer, but I did not think he had done anything of significance. He was so physically unattractive on earth that it had made him shy. Here he had the same features, but was somehow more handsome than any person I had known on earth. He stepped up to me with an assurance and dignity that I had never seen in him, or anyone, before.

"Heaven is much greater than we could have dreamed while on earth," he began. "This room is but the threshold of realms of glory that are far beyond the ability we had to comprehend. It is also true that the second death is much more terrible than we understood. Neither heaven or hell are like we thought they were. If I had known on earth what I know here I would not have lived the way that I did. You are blessed with a great grace to have come here before you have died." he said while looking at my garments.

I then looked at myself. I still had the old mantle of humility on, with the armor under it. I felt both foul and crude standing before those who were so regal and beautiful. I began to think that I was in serious trouble if I was going to appear before the Lord like this. Like the eagles, my old acquaintance could understand my thoughts, and he replied to them:

"Those who come here wearing that mantle have nothing to fear. That mantle is the highest rank of honor, and it is why they all bowed to you while you passed."

"I did not notice anyone bowing to me," I replied, a bit disconcerted.

"It is not improper," he continued. "Here we show each other the respect that is due. Even the angles serve us here, but only our God and His Christ are worshiped."

I was still ashamed. I had to retrain myself to keep from bowing to these glorious ones, while at the same time wanting to hide myself because I looked so bad. Then I began lamenting the fact that my thoughts here were just as foolish here as they were one earth, and here everyone knew them! I felt both stained and stupid standing before these who were so awesome and pure. Again my old acquaintance responded to these thoughts.

"We have our incorruptible bodies now, and you do not. Our minds are no longer hindered by sin. We are therefore able to comprehend many times what even the greatest earthly mind can fathom, and we will spend eternity growing in our ability to understand. This is so that we can know the Father, and understand the glory of His creation. On earth you cannot even begin to understand what the least of these here know, and we are the least of those here."

"How could you be the least?" I asked with disbelief.

"There is an aristocracy here. The rewards for our earthly lives are the eternal positions that we have here. This great multitude here are those whom the Lord called 'foolish virgins.' We knew the Lord, and trusted in His cross for deliverance from damnation, but we did not really live for Him, but for ourselves. We did not keep our vessels filled with the oil of the Holy Spirit. We have eternal life, but we wasted our lives on earth."

I was really surprised by this, but I also knew that no one could lie in that place.

"The foolish virgins gnashed their teeth in the outer darkness," I protested.

"And that we did. The grief that we experienced when we understood how we had so wasted our lives was beyond any grief possible on earth. The darkness of that grief can only be understood by those who have experienced it. Such darkness is magnified when it is revealed next to the glory of the One we failed. You are standing now among the lowest rank in heaven. There is no greater fools than the ones who know the great salvation of God, but then go on living for themselves. To come here and learn the reality of that folly is a grief beyond what an earthly soul can experience. We are those who suffered this outer darkness because of this greatest of follies."

I was still incredulous. "But you are more glorious and full of more joy and peace than I even imagined, even for those in heaven. I do not feel any remorse in you, and yet I know that here you cannot lie. This does not make sense to me."

Looking me straight in the eyes, he continued, "The Lord also loves us with a love greater than you can yet understand. Before His judgment seat I tasted the greatest darkness of soul and remorse that can be experienced. Though here we do not measure time as you do, it seemed to last for as long as my life on earth had lasted. All of my sins and follies which I had not repented of passed before me, and before all who are here. The grief of this you cannot understand until you have experienced it. I felt that I was in the deepest dungeon of hell, even as I stood before the Lord. He was resolute until my life had been completely reviewed. When I said I was sorry and asked for the mercy of His cross, He wiped away my tears and took away the great darkness. He looked at me with a love that was beyond anything that you can now understand. He gave me this robe. I no longer feel the darkness or bitterness that I knew as I stood before Him, but I remember it. Only here can you remember such things without continuing to feel the pain. A moment in the lowest part of heaven is much greater than a thousand years of the highest life on earth. Now my mourning at my folly has been turned into joy, and I know that I will know joy forever, even if I am in the lowest place in heaven."

I began to think again of the treasures of salvation. Somehow I knew that all that this man had told me was revealed by those treasures. Every step I had taken up the mountain, or into it, had revealed that His ways are both more fearful and more wonderful than I had known before.

Looking at me intently, my former acquaintance continued. "You are not here to understand, but to experience. The next level of rank here is many times greater than what we have. Each level after is that much greater than the previous one. It is not just that each level has an even more glorious spiritual body, but that each level is closer to the throne where all of the glory comes from. Even so, I no longer feel the grief of my failure. I really deserve nothing. I am here by grace alone, and I am so thankful for what I have. He is so worthy to be loved. I could be doing many wondrous things now in the different realms of heaven, but I would rather stay here and just behold the glory, even if I am on the outer fringes."

Then, with a distant look in his eyes, he added, "Everyone in heaven is now in this room to watch His great mystery unfold, and to watch those of you who will fight the last battle."

"Can you see Him from here?" I asked. "I see His glory far away, but I cannot see Him."

"I can see many times better than you can," he answered. "And yes, I can see Him, and all that He is doing, even from here. I can also hear Him. I can also behold the earth. He gave us all that power. We are the great cloud of witnesses who are beholding you."

He departed back into the ranks and I began walking again, trying to understand all that he had said to me. As I looked over the great host that he had said were the foolish virgins, the ones who had spiritually slept away their life on earth, I knew that if any one of them appeared on earth now that they would be worshiped as gods, and yet they were the very least of those who were here!

I then began to think of all of the time that I had wasted in my life. It was such an overwhelming thought that I stopped. Then parts of my life began to pass before me. I began to experience a terrible grief over this one sin. I too had been one of the greatest of fools! I may have kept more oil in my lamp than others, but now I knew how foolish I had been to measure what was required of me by how others were doing. I, too, was one of the foolish virgins!" (Pastor Rick Joyner, The Final Quest).

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was questioning and of course ask God about something similar to this. Since there will be a new heaven and a new earth, and we assume that we're just going to heaven, who's going to occupy the new earth? Or is the new earth the prepared place?

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Anyone can explain?
I think this is the only way, since no one ever obey the law except Christ.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You cannot work your way to salvation- In other words, you cannot earn salvation. Works come after salvation as a product (fruit) of your relationship with Christ. (See the words of Christ in John 6:28-29).
It is clear that confessing Christ does not make people good ,and that there are those who are good who know little if anything about God .This means that goodness can be a voluntary thing in a person to be helpful and useful .Where does this come from if not from God? which means that without confessing or knowing Christ He is acting inside of you already ,because your heart is good .
I agree that we cannot earn salvation ,but without active cooperation with God, you are NOT saved .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Using the term "acceptable" is misleading. It implies being in a condition of which God approves. No unregenerate sinner is in such a condition. God extends salvation to us when what we deserve is eternal hell. No lost person, then, stands before God accepted by, or acceptable to, Him. It is only through Christ that we are made acceptable to God. (Eph. 1:6) His offer of salvation to the wicked is a testament to God's grace and loving character, not to anything acceptable or worthy in the lost sinner.
My view of God as a Christian is in disagreement with this idea that all are equally wicked .They are not ,but those with unkindly dispositions see all like themselves .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well OP... you read John 3:16, Rom 10:9-10 you are born from above.. born again. Old things have passed away and all things become new. Not based on feelings or works.. its grace.. by faith. If JESUS said it .. its true. He cant lie. And for you Rev 3:20. Your name is written in His book. Rejoice...

There is coming a time when Jesus will return 2nd time and set foot on this earth. When that happens the great tribulation had just ended. So Jesus gathers the nations as this is written before Him. Those are the ones that He splits sheep and goats. We notice He says to one group "I never knew you" <-----Jesus cant lie. Once we believe Jesus is who He said it was.. John 3:16... there are not hoops to jump through .. none of this is written. Is WHO SO EVER believes. And if anyone opens that door.. Rev 3:20 He comes in.

And.. even saying talking about JESUS here ...HE now tells the Father about YOU! So.. HE KNOWS you. The one group He said "I NEVER".. that means they were NEVER saved. He can't lie. He didnt ONCE knew them and then didnt. We think like man. He is not. If He says never.. it means Never. They were also workers of iniquity. So..its not some group we dont like we dont agree with.. this is not written.

He gathers the nations at that time. No dead are raised and have to stand there.. no one that died and are with the Father have to come back down blah blah blah. I say this because I seen it posted here

Sorry..but when you say JESUS I believe in you.. yeah.. Hes not waiting till you proof it. None of that is written. We should NEVER use this to talk about someone we dont like dont agree with. We get no say in this. And man will ALWAYS be wrong.. get over it. Only HE is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Anyone can explain?

Pools, the below Bible verses are / is the center focus for the Catholic Faith, in it combines all other bible saving verses into one. No one can be saved without discerning the Body and Blood of Christ, that we Must Eat and Drink!

John 6: 53Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 54He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 55For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him.

All Protestant Churches by pass John 6: 53-56 as a symbol, they say: "Jesus did not really mean to eat and drink His Body and Blood". Pools, here is a clue, when Jesus utters the words: "AMEN AMEN I SAY UNTO YOU" Before getting to His Point, you better believe He is not referring John 6:53-56 as a SYMBOL, as protestants beleive, but LITERALLY as Catholic believe, as Jesus Taught. Amen Amen

Pools, if you truly want to be saved and be raised up on the last day, what must you do, or I should say Who must You Eat and Who Must you Drink? Say not I, But the Lord and His Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My view of God as a Christian is in disagreement with this idea that all are equally wicked .They are not ,but those with unkindly dispositions see all like themselves .

If your view of God is not in line with God's word it really matters not at all what, exactly, your view is. I find "unkindly" Christians often like to make oblique criticisms of people - sort of like what you did in the quotation above. All of us are equally worthy of God's judgment. We have not all sinned on the same scale, perhaps, but what sin we have committed is worthy of eternal punishment in hell. This is because the standard isn't the best (or worst) of us, but the holy perfection of our Creator. Against that standard the best of us are gruesome and obscene in our wickedness. It is only pride that causes us to reject this truth about ourselves. But if we don't accept it, we cannot walk with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All Protestant Churches by pass John 6: 53-56 as a symbol, they say: "Jesus did not really mean to eat and drink His Body and Blood". Pools, here is a clue, when Jesus utters the words: "AMEN AMEN I SAY UNTO YOU" Before getting to His Point, you better believe He is not referring John 6:53-56 as a SYMBOL, as protestants believe, but LITERALLY as Catholic believe, as Jesus Taught. Amen Amen

I guess that would apply to the following passage as well ...

John 10.7 VERILY, VERILY, I SAY UNTO YOU, I am the door of the sheep.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We are not equally evil.

We are, however, equally condemned.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I really want to get to heaven.

When you say you want to get there, I have to assume you have some kind of idea of what heaven is, and where it is. The bible uses the word "heaven" or "heavens" to describe different conceptual places, or states of being. What is your concept of the particular "heaven" you want to get to?

Upvote 0