• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Getting to heaven

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Pools, Oct 3, 2017.

1. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian and Unapologetic Iconodule

+3,989
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So, you believe. What are you doing about it?

You need a faith that works. Faith is something of an action word. It's continuous, and it isn't a one moment in time deal. Faith is not merely an intellectual assent to a belief in God. You are saved at your baptism into Christ, you are being saved through life in the Church and partaking of the sacraments, and you will be saved at the Final Judgment.

Salvation is having faith in Christ, receiving the indwelling/gift of the Holy Spirit, and coming to a knowledge of God the Father. Yes, we have faith, but it is a gift by the grace of God, and it is actually God's mercy (and not our faith) that saves us. God draws us to Himself.

A life in Christ is a journey to us. We don't attempt to break things down, but see things holistically.

So, first step. Do you go to church? If not, why not? The second step is to seek to be baptized into Christ. This is the natural progression and it is what makes one part of the body of Christ.

I am a firm believer that one can't know what the faith is about truly unless they come and see it for themselves. You must visit a church to learn about the faith. Visiting doesn't lock one into becoming a member. I've never yet been to an Orthodox Church where I've seen anyone harassed and hounded into joining- and even if you want to become Orthodox you would have to be catechized. (Since I am Orthodox- I am biased in that direction. I will not recommend other groups to you.)

My advice to you:
    I will repeat what I told you in another thread of yours. My ultimate advice is to come and see. Go visit a Divine Liturgy. Talk to a priest. Ask about converting and getting baptized. Pray. Learn about the faith you're confessing. JERUSALEM PATRIARCHATE

Some things to read that explain the Orthodox Christian faith fairly well (easy reading).
    The Orthodox Faith
    Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware (part 1)
    Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware (part 2)

Here are some helpful resources regarding prayer:
    P r a y e r
    Let us

2. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Its Gods will that we wait patiently in hope.

Lamentations 3:26 It is good that one should hope and wait quietly
    For the salvation of the Lord.

Romans 8:23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

3. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,197
    Christian
    Married
    Prior to conversion, we are acceptable to Christ for conversion, ... not acceptable/fit for heaven.

Which is why Christ issues this invitation ....

"Come to Me, ALL who labor and are heavy laden ... and I will give you rest."

No requirements there except willingness to COME ...

4. A_Thinker

+4,197
    Christian
    Married
    Our good deeds have no bearing upon our SALVATION. We receive that SOLELY upon God's grace.

Paul says "For BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH, ... NOT BY WORKS" Ephesians 2:8,9

Having been SAVED, ...we are empowered to perform good works based upon Love, ... which may bring us heavenly rewards.

1 Corinthians 3

11 For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13 his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as one being snatched from the fire.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. A_Thinker

+4,197
    Christian
    Married
    So ... to answer your question most directly ... we embark upon out journey to heaven ... by accepting God's gracious GIFT of Salvation (i.e. adoption in His family).

As a member of God's family, Jesus promises to take us to be with Him ... to be with God and the rest of His family.

In the meantime, God desires that we GROW to be like Him, and perform good works based upon Love, for which we may be rewarded in Heaven.

6. GirdYourLoins

GirdYourLoins Well-Known Member

+614
    Pentecostal
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    When I pray in tongues "shachah" is a word I say a lot. Never knew what it means

7. A_Thinker

+4,197
    Christian
    Married
    John 1:12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13 They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.

8. PeaceB

PeaceB Well-Known Member

+656
    United States
    Catholic
    Engaged
    Repent of your sins, put your faith in our Lord Jesus, and get baptized.

If you sin again, repent, put your faith in our Lord Jesus, and ask for forgivess for your sins.

9. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Seeking the kingdom is the path to heaven, seek the kingdom.

10. YesMe

YesMe Member

+262
    Christian
    Private
    There's only a way to Heaven, that's Jesus Christ, He is the way, we have to follow His teachings in everything we do and say, that's what it means believing in Jesus, so by believing in the Son of God, we become a new creature, we have the right to be called Sons of God, we are connected directly with the Father.This is my humble opinion.

By the way, read about Jesus in the Bible and you will have all the questions answered, He has all the answers, He is the answer, He is the saviour, the redeemer, the sacrificial lamb, He is the truth, the way and the life, He is everything you will ever need and much more than we can imagine.God created us to be with Him forever and ever, He does not want a single one of us to perish.Being still sinners God made the greatest sacrifice, Jesus died for all of us, all out of His great love for us.God is the source of everything that's good, He is love, everything that's not connected with Him, eventually dies.

11. toLiJC

toLiJC Senior Member

+221
    Non-Denom
    Private
    the biblical "heaven" is the very (invisible) world of good(ness) living mainly in the hearts of good people (and they live spiritually in it, although their physical location is (in) this world)

Blessings

12. MonstersvsMartyrs

MonstersvsMartyrs Member

+77
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    James 2:24
    You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

13. Open Heart

Open Heart Well-Known Member

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    Its a matter of piecing together verses all over the NT. I'll give you a verse for each one, but really, there are multiple verses for each one.
    1. Believe/have faith 3:16
    2. Repent Acts 2:38
    3. Be baptized Acts 2:38
    4. Profess Romans 10:9
    5. Doing good works to the oppressed Matthew 25:31-46
    6. Obey the commandments Matthew 19:16-17

14. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,074
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You need a garment that has no spot, blemish or wrinkle. This is a reference to the flesh. So we need to be Holy and Sanctified, cleansed in the Precious Blood of Jesus.

15. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,479
    Christian
    Single
    This is from a conversation between Jesus and a rich man. People might receive different callings. Not all are asked to give everything away.

Matthew 19 (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

16. jesus316

jesus316 All Truth is in Jesus Supporter

+772
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Cling to God. Cling to Jesus. As he shines his light of truth, goodness, and holiness upon your soul, cling to him. Sin is repelled from God's holy presence; don't cling to sin. Abandon sin. Repent from sin.

17. MonstersvsMartyrs

MonstersvsMartyrs Member

+77
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Acts 2:21
    And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'

1 John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Romans 10:9-13
    If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”e 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”f

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:5
    Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

bap·tism

ˈbapˌtizəm/
    noun
    1. (in the Christian Church) the religious rite of sprinkling water onto a person's forehead or of immersion in water, symbolizing purification or regeneration and admission to the Christian Church. In many denominations, baptism is performed on young children and is accompanied by name-giving.

1 Peter 3:21
    and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

“Holy Chrismation is a Sacrament in which the baptized believer, being anointed with Holy Chrism on certain parts of the body, in the name of the Holy Spirit, receives the gifts of the Holy Spirit for growth and strength in spiritual life.” (Philaret’s Catechism)

“Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: who when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost. (For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptised in the Name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 8, 14-17)

Acts 2:37-38
    When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
    Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

1 John 3:9
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

Luke 18
    18A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

19“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 20You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’a

21“All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.

22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

James 2
    What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessd ? 21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”eand he was called God’s friend. 24You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

John 14:15
    "If you love me, keep my commands.

Matthew 22
    “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

Romans 13:10
    Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

John 15
    “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunesa so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

17This is my command: Love each other.

John 13:35
    By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

John 14
    15If you love me, keep my commands. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will bec in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

22Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

23Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25“All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

1 John 4:8
    Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Acts 22:16
    And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Hope this helps you for starters. Read the Bible in its completion and pray for understanding.

James 1:5
    If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

More info:

18. Cowwy

Cowwy New Member

+25
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Rise!! Here comes the debaters!!!

19. Celticroots

Celticroots Newbie

+627
    Christian
    Single
    Why do people tack works onto salvation(misleading) when we can't work our way to salvation?

20. imsaneru

imsaneru Member

+38
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Every body wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to go first.