United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm currently writing a novel. I finished my first draft and I'm editing it right now. I know that getting published is a long way off from where I'm at, but I have no idea what the actual steps are to getting published. Where do I send my novel when I'm done with it? How do I get someone to pick it up? Where does an agent factor into all of this?

I know that as a writer, I should know this. But I'll admit I've always just focused more on the writing part :sweatsmile:

Any advice would be great!

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I'm currently writing a novel. I finished my first draft and I'm editing it right now. I know that getting published is a long way off from where I'm at, but I have no idea what the actual steps are to getting published.

It will be very difficult to get any publisher or agent to read your novel unless you've been published somewhere else - in a magazine or prominent online source.

It's hard for a publisher to sell a novel by an author no one knows.

They like to consider writers who have an audience waiting. They want your novel to be pre-sold to your fan base.

If you do not yet have a large fan base you should focus on developing that first.

• Informative
Reactions: step_by_step
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
DO NOT FORGET - apply for a copyright before you submit your manuscript to anyone else.
Anything the poster writes automatically has copyright protection. What he or she can do is register the work.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I'm currently writing a novel. I finished my first draft and I'm editing it right now. I know that getting published is a long way off from where I'm at, but I have no idea what the actual steps are to getting published. Where do I send my novel when I'm done with it? How do I get someone to pick it up? Where does an agent factor into all of this?

I know that as a writer, I should know this. But I'll admit I've always just focused more on the writing part :sweatsmile:

How I Made $1,928 Last Month Self-Publishing on Amazon

• Informative
Reactions: step_by_step
Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It will be very difficult to get any publisher or agent to read your novel unless you've been published somewhere else - in a magazine or prominent online source.

It's hard for a publisher to sell a novel by an author no one knows.

They like to consider writers who have an audience waiting. They want your novel to be pre-sold to your fan base.

If you do not yet have a large fan base you should focus on developing that first.

Hm, I haven't heard this before. I have no idea where to start when building a fan base for a book but I'll definitely look into it

Upvote 0

veracious

Jul 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
✟8,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Anything the poster writes automatically has copyright protection. What he or she can do is register the work.
I don’t understand, how is anything you write already copyrighted?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don’t understand, how is anything you write already copyrighted?
That's the law. If you write it, you own it. From here:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Upvote 0

xino

Nov 18, 2007
Essex
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

Hey man, go to Discover the best new stories
And register, this allows you to promote your book just before release, it is very helpful for it generates awareness before your book is released. I should have done this for my book:/

Also you might want to go for Self Publishing!
If you have MONEY, then go for a publisher. If you want to know which good publishers are there, go through some best sellers, and you will see who the publishers are.
Also go here: Best and Worst Self-Publishing Services Rated by the Alliance of Independent Authors
They show you the good pubslihers to use and ones to avoid.
The mail I get from Xulu publisher, who claims to be a Christian book publication, actually have a bad review!

The good thing about publishers is they help market your book and sell your book. But they get many percentages of your sales.

I would recommend self publish, if you are tight on money or don't want to risk.
Amazon's Createspace is the best.
InGramspark How to Self Publish a Book | Self Publishing | Print on Demand | IngramSpark is good, because they distribute your book to so many platforms. But mind you, their manuscript uploading process is so ANNOYING!!!
they cost $50 for both ebook and paperback. I would recommend them ONLY if you want to expose your book to more platforms.

Upvote 0