Getting down to the issues (open to regulars here)

spinningtutu

Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Abortion always evil/ wrong/ sinful... regardless of the situation. killing someone is never the "right" thing.
Bible versions/translations Hebrew and Greek testaments (hey, at least I get something out of being a Bible/Theology student since 1999). when that isn't possible, I advise reading and comparing as many English translations as possible while researching what each of them attempts/claims to do, as well as placing each in their own historical context. any given translation/interpretation probably at least partially communicates the agenda/beliefs of those who translated/interpretted it. i think that passionate belief in the Bible must necessarily correlate and be balanced with passionate skepticism in humanity's ability to preserve it so that in all finality, trust falls not on any tangible set of pages, but on the Holy Spirit.
Church in general the invisible and united Bride of Christ with visible representation anywhere and everywhere two or more are gathered in the name of Jesus
Creation Old-Earth-Creationist... but only because the actual Hebrew meanings to "bara" and "yom" have flexibility in their meaning. in other words, "yom" refers to a period of time (not necessarily a 24 hr period) and "bara" can mean "re-create"... combine this with evidence that the earth really is old, and I think that creation was so good because it is something that took time to fulfill (and how quickly we have ruined it). anyways, please don't read in this any acceptance of evolution. I think evolution, in any form, is morally and socially evil & lacks proof.
Divorce/Remarriage divorce is always a symptom of things gone wrong (either two people were never meant to be together or they were and are now separating). in any case, it is an unfortunate reality and people who go through divorce need help and love, not condemnation. remarriage is a bit dicier... in order to work, I believe, one has to realize that the previous marriage wasn't really meant to be and would have to repent of the previous relationship as though it was in actuality adultrous. as Jesus warns, remarriage very often means adultry. in the final analysis, I believe that a person can only truly be with one person in this life and that any and all relationships outside of that other constitute adultry. I'm married, I believe I made the right choice. my resolution is either to remain married or in the event of divorce, to remain single. those are the only choices I'm personally considering.
Election vs. Free will two sides of the same coin. what looks like free will to us is election in God's eyes. there are scriptures to support both aspects. there are rational arguments behind both, people have experienced both. what we need are creative ways of resolving apparent tensions between them.
End times yes. however, since we don't know the full extent of what is to come (we can only reflect on what has taken place), we can't really make any use out of any given "timeline". this is why I'm personally mid-trib. I think it is obvious that tribulation has already begun and yes I do believe that God will protect us from the worst that could be. by being mid-trib, I affirm both of these realities without making too much speculation on the details. but yes, I do believe in the Rapture and I do believe in a visible parousia of Jesus Christ at the end of all time.
Eternal Security (sometimes called OSAS) yes... unless someone truly and willfully chooses to leave. the path of Lucifer is always an open path, but not because one 'falls away' or 'loses their salvation' but because if one truly and definitively wants to toss away that gift, God isn't gonna force them not to.
Health and Wealth doctrine (sometimes called Word of Faith) crap
Hell is true both literally and metaphorically speaking. in a sense, hell is the absence from God which is (thankfully) not eternal. this is the hell that we experience on earth, sometimes in our own lives, sometimes in our spiritual journeys. to an extents, we've all been to hell. but hell is also the literal definitive result of all of these hells... and is basically an eternal spiritual death. while I don't think our imaginations (pitchforks, horns, etc) have anything to do with it, I do see hell as an actual real place. In a sense, it is the purest form of God's power and goodness in that it necessarily exposes evil and darkness. hell is the fire of God... that is what fire does, burns away and purifies. even though God is merciful to not destroy us all for being evil, by showing us this mercy God also holds back part of Herself from us. even though it is painful to go through hell here on earth, it can lead to spiritual development. now, hell after this life? one's worst nightmare come true.
Homosexuality is one of many different possible sexual orientations that people have. whether one is heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual or pansexual - there is no reason for anyone to be anything other than who they are. what is important is how one chooses to act on their sexuality.
Inerrancy of Scripture the Bible is 100% inerrant, infallible and inspired by God... also 100% communicated in the languages of humanity... just as Jesus' body may have been subject to illness (without compromising divinity), so also the Bible is subject to translation and interpretation errors (without compromising divinity).
Interpreting Scripture since Scripture is true on many different levels, it is important to approach Scripture on these levels. there is, for example, the literal level. not every single verse (like certain parables) are meant to be taken literally... yet, when the text is clearly insisting that something actually happened, it is important to accept it as such (i.e. the miracle stories, that Jesus was literally born of a virgin, that the body of Jesus was raised again, etc). then there is a narrative level, which is intrinsically locked into the history, culture and context of the time. reading certain narratives, for example, presupposes the context and without it the reader won't get everything. then there is a spiritual level, which consists simply of everything needed to be revealed for us and for our salvation. sometimes Christians seem to focus simply on insisting that everything really did happen, and it did, but there is more. sometimes Christians seem to focus just on "the message" to be evangelical and get people saved, which is good, but there is more. still, others seem fixated on context to the point of ignoring everything else. I will just say this: yes, in the final analysis, salvation itself is the most important thing... but, in order to really understand/ appreciate/ embrace the Scriptures, Christians need to approach from all of these angles. this includes both research into context and evangelism, this includes reliance on both scientific results and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Legalism is wrong. none of us are God. we all see through a mirror dimly. we all owe it to our own beliefs to be passionate about them and to defend what we believe to be right and wrong. however, we all could use a bit of humility and recognition that being human we may also be wrong. thus, we can't judge. I think being legalistic and judgmental go together. tho, I point out that being judgmental is not just saying that "x is wrong" rather it is when one goes further to actually pass judgment on an individual (which is God's job). adhering to fundamentals makes a person's beliefs passionate and concrete, fundamentalism has no necessary linkage to either legalism or judgmentalism. in fact, these latter ills are human ills and we all have to watch it. all of us
Original sin creation began with original blessing... human history begins with original sin, with us choosing to usurp God... likewise, there is also original sin for every human being.
Praise songs in church (Hymns vs. choruses, etc.) whatever, I like it mixed. however, I retain the right to not sing a song if I disagree with its message. my church's style is contemporary/charismatic... one of my current faves is "Spirit of the living God... fall afresh on me" and my fave praise song has always been "I love You, Lord". Ancient hymns remade into contemp form are cool too.
Salvation I'm almost a universalist... almost. after all Jesus did say, "all sins will be forgiven to humankind..." which went on to be concluded with a big exception... "except for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". A lot of Christians believe that people start off being damned via original sin and will stay as such until they get saved. I believed that all people start off damned via original sin yet saved thru Jesus Christ and will stay saved as such until they get damned. salvation is given as gift to all - but some will reject that gift.
Submission to Christ? yes. to each other in love? yes. I don't believe any person is called to be in submission to another person without reciprocation.
The Emergent Church exists out of a well-intentioned attempt to make the gospel and Christianity relevant to our times, our cultures, etc. at the very basic level, this is a good thing, as it is an attempt to be Christian in this day and age and to share Christ with others. I think "Emergent Church" is a loose label and is an umbrella term which can include many different church groups. I think that probably some take things too far and others don't. Taking things too far would include: embracing universalism, reducing central elements of Christianity to the level of myth, relying more on the current culture than Scripture, etc. I'm sure there are examples of "Emergent" Christians who have gone too far. Some people may include me in this category, reader beware. As a movement itself, I don't see any reason to oppose it (but with the qualifications given). My church itself seems to me to be the union of evangelical, charismatic and emergent streams of thought. Even though there cannot be "liberal versions of Christianity", it is what it is, it is true that "liberals" can also be Christians.
Tradition is helpful to the extent at which it shows us how doctrines have developped, is good for some people as it roots them in their faith. I don't think tradition itself is problematic... now, if people start insisting that their tradition is authoratative then I think we have serious problems. Personally, I'm not into tradition.
Women pastors/preachers Yes, pastors/preachers can be women... or men... or, for that matter, of any gender.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abortion It is killing a human being. Only exception I'd make is if it came down to the baby living or the mother living, but not both.
Bible versions/translations I like the KJV, but other translations lend light on difficult passages.

Church in general the gathering of regenerated Christians.
Creation God did the creating. I don't know that we'll ever know the whole old earth/young earth thing this side of eternity.
Divorce/Remarriage Divorce happens. While it takes two to marry, it only takes one to break that covenant. I believe the Scriptures teach (FULL DISCLOSURE: I am divorced and remarried) that remarriage is permissible if the marriage was broken via adultery or other sexual immorality (my first wife left me for another man, my present wife's first husband was an unrepentant pedophile).
Election vs. Free will That's a conundrum I have no idea about. Scriptures seem to speak to both sides of this issue, so the truth is likely above our ability to comprehend it.
End times Jesus said he would return; I trust Him. The schedule of events was intentionally left vague, IMO.
Eternal Security (sometimes called OSAS) Nobody can take your salvation away from you, but on the other hand, it is possible to harden your own heart through post-conversion sin to the point of no return.
Health and Wealth doctrine (sometimes called Word of Faith) Poor exegesis that takes individual cases in the Word and turns them into universals that weren't meant to be.
Hell Yup.
Homosexuality This is a fallen world. One may be born with a predilection toward homosexuality, transgenderism, etc., but it isn't God that made that person that way. I'm in the middle of looking for a new church home over this very issue.
Inerrancy of Scripture There are different voices in Scripture that seem to say contradictory things. (ex. order of creation in Genesis 1 vs Genesis 2)
While this might present issues in defining inerrancy, it seems that the Bible is meant to be taken as inerrant on a practical level.

Interpreting Scripture More complicated than I can put into a soundbite here.
Legalism Nope. The Gospel is freedom, not a new set of Law.

Original sin If original sin doesn't exist, at what point does the individual become culpable? I have problems with the concept of original sin, but that question has to be considered.
Praise songs in church (Hymns vs. choruses, etc.) Meh. When I was going to Pentecostal and charismatic churches in the 70s, the Scripture choruses really helped me as a new believer. These complex new praise songs today, played by a third-rate bunch of Coldplay wannabees...nah.
Salvation Faith and belief in Jesus Christ. How much dogma does one have to believe in order to be saved? I don't know, that's above my pay grade.

Submission
The Emergent Church originally came out of youth ministries wondering what the next step was. It started by asking some good questions, but kept deconstructing and wasn't quite sure what to do with the rubble. Its day has passed.
Tradition is a great thing, as long as it doesn't come to supersede Scripture.
Women pastors/preachers I have grown under the teaching of a woman pastor over the years.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican