Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Montana's so-called "castle doctrine" law was amended in 2009 to allow deadly force if a homeowner "reasonably believes" an intruder is trying to harm him or her.

Before that, residents could only use such force if the intruder acted in a violent way. The legislation was backed by the US' largest gun lobby, the National Rifle Association (NRA).

What would constitute "reasonable belief"?

How would a jury determine if a homeowner's belief was "reasonable?"

[who wrote this legislation????]

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
One story that is repeated in our news from time to time says that this kid got caught while "Garage hopping", which is a thing american teenagers do to steal beer, or something like that. Is that really a thing?

In Germany, he could have drunk the beer legally..

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One story that is repeated in our news from time to time says that this kid got caught while "Garage hopping", which is a thing american teenagers do to steal beer, or something like that. Is that really a thing?

In Germany, he could have drunk the beer legally..

If that was the case than he was a burglar, and the guy was entirely justified in opening fire.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is garage hopping even a thing in the USA or parts of it, or was this just made up in german news media? I never heard about that before this happened.

It is something that happens when people leave their garage door open on accident.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...or on purpose to lure someone in and kill them.

Wow and I thought I was cynical...

Seriously, I have a neighbor that constantly forgets to close his garage door at night...

Look I'm sad the kid was killed, but from looking at the situation without injecting emotion into this, I have to come to the conclusion that charging the guy is nothing more than people acting out of pure emotion instead of looking at this from an objective standpoint.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Wow and I thought I was cynical...

Seriously, I have a neighbor that constantly forgets to close his garage door at night...

Look I'm sad the kid was killed, but from looking at the situation without injecting emotion into this, I have to come to the conclusion that charging the guy is nothing more than people acting out of pure emotion instead of looking at this from an objective standpoint.

You aren't reading the news reports.

The guy left his garage door open with a purse in the garage on purpose with cameras and motion sensor set up. He did this because he wanted to kill whoever stole his marijuana.

I'm not being cynical. I'm just pointing out the details of this case and why it is ludicrous for him to claim self-defense.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Shooter's wife may be charged in exchange student's death

Sounds like the wife was also pretty involved in the murder.

And now they express remorse for what they have done. Maybe if they had asked questions or even just hollered something, they wouldn't have to deal with their remorse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would shoot someone if they broke into my house, I wouldn't shoot someone for simply being in my yard...

Yea the degree of breaking or at least bypassing an obvious barrier makes a difference.

This is walking into an open garage, much weaker position for the property owner.

And given the foolish statement he made I'd say he is going down.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If that was the case than he was a burglar, and the guy was entirely justified in opening fire.

Because saving $12 worth of beer totally justifies taking a human life.

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Slain German student may have entered Montana garage for alcohol | Reuters

As I suggested earlier, this is typical teenage stupidity and peer pressure at work.

The ridiculous part is that two other teenagers came forward to the police and admitted to the previous burglaries. Chances are, they aren't going to get the death penalty. They will probably get a fine or community service or some mild jail time.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yea the degree of breaking or at least bypassing an obvious barrier makes a difference.

This is walking into an open garage, much weaker position for the property owner.

And given the foolish statement he made I'd say he is going down.

I hope he goes down. By the way, one of the young men arrested for breaking into this garage and stealing the marijuana and other things from the garage appeared in court yesterday.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is something that happens when people leave their garage door open on accident.

Accept it was not an accident. It was left open on purpose with a purse left out to lure someone in so that he could kill them. By the way, one of the young men who admitted that he was one of the ones that stole this guy's marijuana among other things appeared in court yesterday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Slain German student may have entered Montana garage for alcohol | Reuters

As I suggested earlier, this is typical teenage stupidity and peer pressure at work.

The ridiculous part is that two other teenagers came forward to the police and admitted to the previous burglaries. Chances are, they aren't going to get the death penalty. They will probably get a fine or community service or some mild jail time.

As I said, in Germany, this kid would have been able to buy beer legally. Boys will be boys, as they say. If you don't let them do foolish things while they are young, and feel the consequences (in such a way that they can learn from them, not by killing them), they will never learn to curb their stupid instincts and will decide that it is a perfectly normal thing to kill someone if they steal their... hu.

Something is rotten in America.

Upvote 0