• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Georgia students suspended for taking photos of crowded school hallway

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by essentialsaltes, Aug 6, 2020.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+14,841
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    LINK

At least two students say they have been suspended at North Paulding High School in Georgia for posting photos of crowded hallways that went viral on Twitter.

One of the teens who posted photos, 15-year-old Hannah Watters, told BuzzFeed News she received a five-day, out-of-school suspension for posting one photo and one video on Twitter.

Watters said she was pulled into the school's office around noon on Wednesday and was told she had violated the student code of conduct.

"The policies I broke stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent," she said.

On Wednesday, an intercom announcement at the school from principal Gabe Carmona said any student found criticizing the school on social media could face discipline.

5 day suspension for taking a picture of students (almost entirely from the back) at a school? Discipline for criticizing the school? This is baloney.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,296
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I agree. They are putting peoples lives in danger. And punishing kids for telling the truth.

3. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+11,074
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    I think the ACLU might take this case up.

4. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+2,524
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    The crowd school hallway is bad. I can understand the school coming down on the student. But if I was a parent with a student going there, I would pull them out.

5. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+14,841
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Friends are suggesting that the school may have saved her life -- she should try for a longer suspension.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    It is very important to teach to impressionable young people that ratting out one's superiors and making administration look bad is a punishable offense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+633
    Christian
    Married
    Georgia is one of the top 5 states for the number of active Covid-19 cases.

And taking this to court isn't going to help the kids in school at all...

Taking the pictures is not a good idea... some of those kids are likely foster children whose parents are probably looking for them. Big time not helpful.

8. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Member

+127
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    Well, like my dad always says, no good deed goes unpunished. :D

9. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,296
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Unless some picks out a foster kid. And embarrass the foster kids. Your point is mute. What the picture showed, is that nobody cares about stopping COVID-19. Nobody matters.

10. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+633
    Christian
    Married
    Foster Children are wards of the state...no one is allowed to publicly post their pictures in any form of social media. It's for the children's protection as usually they are needing protection from biological parents and possibly other foster children.

11. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+2,387
    Christian
    Private
    What about protecting them from biological disease killing thousands a day?

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    If these foster kids go to any school activities such as sporting events their pictures could show up in the newspapers and online. So it doesn't make any sense to try to protect them from photos taken by students.

13. cow451

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    What? They’re foster children. They’re hardly people to the small government anti-welfare QAnon warriors

14. cow451

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    The real issue is some kid busting the grownups that are supposed to be implementing safe protocols.

15. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+14,042
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    It's a good thing the school officials found some technicality to bust the kids on.

16. cow451

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Thank goodness. These delinquents got no whistle blower protection.

17. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+633
    Christian
    Married
    Foster children are not usually in sports...

You really need to get to work with these kids before you can speak intelligently about them. Most have real issues because of the treatment their biological parents...or lack thereof.

Trust me... their photographs don't need to be on social media for any reason whatsoever.

18. cow451

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Do the foster kids have some tat that identifies them as such? Or some uniform or sign they have to carry?

19. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+633
    Christian
    Married
    Often their biological parents are trolling social media to see if they can find them. Especially if their rights have been terminated.

20. cow451

+15,899
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Then they need not be in school or in public. The idea that cameras aren’t everywhere is silly. Every kid in high school and probably middle school has a camera.

The point of the thread is that none of the kids is safe in this setting re: COVID.