Colorado
✟432,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
According to the definition of geometry, yes of course. According to the legal definition here, it's arguable.

If I looked at that, and someone said "here we have an approximately 90 degree angle", I'd be thinking, "um, doesn't look like it to me".

What does approximate mean? When does it stop being approximate? When it's 92 degrees? 95? 99? 122? I'm sure the Greek philosopher Zeno must have addressed this somewhere.
Its like inappropriate content.... "I know it when I see it".

Also, it was a red light.... so whether it was an "intersection" or not hardly even matters.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,885.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Either way, you cant mostly-stop at a red light. Not legally anyway.
If you read my posts, I said that's not actually what the citation concerns. I don't have it in front of me, but it's slippery language they use. It's usually hard to get a straight answer from people whose business is trying to scam you.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Select the protractor layer, then press CTRL-T (I think it's Command T if you use a Mac). Then put your cursor just outside one of the corner handles and you should see it change to a double headed curved arrow. Click and drag and it should rotate.
Excellent! It worked. Our case is getting tighter.
intersectionx2.jpg

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you read my posts, I said that's not actually what the citation concerns. I don't have it in front of me, but it's slippery language they use. It's usually hard to get a straight answer from people whose business is trying to scam you.
So there's no legal definition of "entering an intersection"?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,885.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So there's no legal definition of "entering an intersection"?
There's two parts to this. This is a little enclave municipality with it's own code of traffic laws. (Known for decades as a notorius speed trap as well as known for the brutality and corruption of its police force, which is another reason I want to fight them.) All I'm going by right now is the language on this letter, and it doesn't mention anything like "failure to stop at a red light".

So first, if I was making a right on red, I could legally "enter an intersection".

Second, to be guilty of "entering an intersection", it has to be an intersection.

• Agree
Reactions: chilehed
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,135.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There's two parts to this. This is a little enclave municipality with it's own code of traffic laws. (Known for decades as a notorius speed trap as well as known for the brutality and corruption of its police force, which is another reason I want to fight them.) All I'm going by right now is the language on this letter, and it doesn't mention anything like "failure to stop at a red light".

So first, if I was making a right on red, I could legally "enter an intersection".

Second, to be guilty of "entering an intersection", it has to be an intersection.

Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Well "entering an intersection" is probably defined in the law. If so, whats the definition? If not, then yeah, its absurd.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well "entering an intersection" is probably defined in the law. If so, whats the definition? If not, then yeah, its absurd.
Sometimes they put those white lines down that you aren't supposed to cross until you make a full stop, but those tend to be more at intersections with stop signs I believe. There is probably some law about having to maintain a distance to see the traffic light and not impede traffic. I'm going to have a look at that sat image and see if there are any white lines he may have crossed without stopping.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You would have had to stop behind the white line first before proceeding into the intersection to make the right on red. Even if you had stopped on the cross walk you technically went too far. (See the above- pasted close up of the intersection.) My 'legal opinion' in this matter is that you don't really have a defense. Sorry. I work in insurance and have done a lot of traffic arbitration over he years.
You could try refusing to pay to see if they hand you over to the authorities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A lot can depend on your judge. I have not ever received one of those tickets, but in my state there is always video available. It is best to check that out if it is. If you contest it and there is video available they will have looked at it. To prepare you need to see it too. Even if one does not come to a dead stop many judges will throw out cases where the person is barely moving. It is up to the judges discretion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,885.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My 'legal opinion' in this matter is that you don't really have a defense.

Yeah. You have to stop on a red light there. No amount of semantic hair splitting will avail.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had several points to argue, and that this was my weakest. My strongest was that our state law requires that each roadway leading to a video enforced traffic place must have a sign warning motorists of it. The roadway I proceeded from did not. So if you ever get one of these, do a little research.

Anyway, I went to the police station to request a hearing date. The guy behind the glass window says "step into my office". He's a guy wearing a polo shirt with his name on it. I don't know if he's a receptionist or a cop or what. We sit down and he plays the video, which takes all of 5 seconds, then he says "You didn't stop, I find you liable". I reminded him that I was there to request a hearing. He says "This was the hearing". ^_^

And that hearing was going to cost me an additional $50 bond fee. I didn't have my notes with me, but he heard me out, let me make my case. He turned out to be a good guy. He confided in me that the video violation thing is just on the honor system. They used to notify the motor vehicle registrar but they don't anymore. (Which may be because a lot of them in my state are just ignoring the notifications. And there's a bill in the senate to get rid of the video violation systems. And all the major credit report agencies ignore it too. Seems everybody thinks it's bogus.) If I don't pay the worst that will happen is the private company will turn the matter over to a collection agency which may send me nasty letters for the rest of my life.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had several points to argue, and that this was my weakest. My strongest was that our state law requires that each roadway leading to a video enforced traffic place must have a sign warning motorists of it. The roadway I proceeded from did not. So if you ever get one of these, do a little research.

Anyway, I went to the police station to request a hearing date. The guy behind the glass window says "step into my office". He's a guy wearing a polo shirt with his name on it. I don't know if he's a receptionist or a cop or what. We sit down and he plays the video, which takes all of 5 seconds, then he says "You didn't stop, I find you liable". I reminded him that I was there to request a hearing. He says "This was the hearing". ^_^

And that hearing was going to cost me an additional $50 bond fee. I didn't have my notes with me, but he heard me out, let me make my case. He turned out to be a good guy. He confided in me that the video violation thing is just on the honor system. They used to notify the motor vehicle registrar but they don't anymore. (Which may be because a lot of them in my state are just ignoring the notifications. And there's a bill in the senate to get rid of the video violation systems. And all the major credit report agencies ignore it too. Seems everybody thinks it's bogus.) If I don't pay the worst that will happen is the private company will turn the matter over to a collection agency which may send me nasty letters for the rest of my life.

Well at least you learned your lesson that no good deed goes unpunished. Serves you right for doing a friend a favor.

• Haha
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'm curious about that, too. Sounds like an Italian guy opened a Mexican joint?
Meh, in my neighborhood the best Italian food (and some of the best in the whole city) is at an Irish bar called Murph's.

Upvote 0