Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_bi_ge/punctured_gas_tanks

DETROIT - Dale Fortin is getting a new kind of customer at his Detroit auto repair shop, customers who have not just been in a fender-bender or had a windshield smashed by a rock.

The soaring price of crude oil has turned gas tanks into a cache of valuable booty, and Fortin has replaced several tanks punctured or drilled by thieves thirsting for the nearly $4-a-gallon fuel inside.

"That's the new fad," said the co-owner of Dearborn Auto Tech in Detroit. "I'd never seen it before gas got up this high."

While gas station drive-offs and siphoning are far more common methods of stealing gas, reports of tank and line puncturing are starting to trickle into police departments and repair shops across the country.

---------

Obviously we knew it was going to happen. I just didn't think it would be this soon. :|

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This was going on in the poor sections of Denver before I came back here (Kansas City) after my dad's death a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard of it occurring around here yet, but I'm sure it will show up eventually. Thieves communicate success, or the media helps them out, one or the other.

Reactions: MsAnne
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I doubt many lower-class people can actually afford gas anymore, so this might be their only option, especially if they don't live near public transportation and if they don't own a bike.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.
But are you actually saying that this stealing is a valid OPTION ?

Upvote 0