Gap creationism v. progressive creationism..

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Jamsie
@Tolworth John
Just curious, what is your view on say Genesis 1:20-23 (ESV shown below):

First, although very much lacking in specifics as the Bible isn't a book of science, my basic belief is that the days of Gen. 1 are fiat or command days. Also, as a minor point I believe that God is immutable and that the creation was of processes that continue today. Further, I believe in Romans 1:20 in that we are capable of "seeing" and understanding what has been made...

Again the command is to created matter to produce or bring forth, it would seem that there is much to ponder with Ge. 1 and some humility would be appropriate. Calling such an interpretation eisegesis is to me simply an avoidance of a closer more prayerful study of the passage.

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, although very much lacking in specifics as the Bible isn't a book of science, my basic belief is that the days of Gen. 1 are fiat or command days. Also, as a minor point I believe that God is immutable and that the creation was of processes that continue today. Further, I believe in Romans 1:20 in that we are capable of "seeing" and understanding what has been made...

Again the command is to created matter to produce or bring forth, it would seem that there is much to ponder with Ge. 1 and some humility would be appropriate. Calling such an interpretation eisegesis is to me simply an avoidance of a closer more prayerful study of the passage.
Thank you for the reply! You mentioned that you believe creation is a process that continues to today. How do you view this in the context of Genesis 2:1-3?:

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."

When you say creation continues today, do you mean that things are continuing to change, or that new things are actually being created somewhere? I'm coming into this discussion late, so I apologize if this is something you've already discussed previously - if so, I'm fine if you just want to direct me to a particular post#.

I lean towards the idea that God is still working, just not on the creation He made as described in Genesis 1. My view is also that God did not rest on day 7 because he was "tired" but just that He was pleased with His creation and made a day that would be holy - later used as the model for the 4th commandment around the Sabbath (Exodus 20:11).

Thanks again -

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the reply! You mentioned that you believe creation is a process that continues to today. How do you view this in the context of Genesis 2:1-3?:

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."

When you say creation continues today, do you mean that things are continuing to change, or that new things are actually being created somewhere? I'm coming into this discussion late, so I apologize if this is something you've already discussed previously - if so, I'm fine if you just want to direct me to a particular post#.

I lean towards the idea that God is still working, just not on the creation He made as described in Genesis 1. My view is also that God did not rest on day 7 because he was "tired" but just that He was pleased with His creation and made a day that would be holy - later used as the model for the 4th commandment around the Sabbath (Exodus 20:11).
Thanks again -

Sorry if I wasn't clear...but when I wrote "creation was of process". As I noted prior "God set in motion all of the laws for the incipient powers, elements, material, etc. as to the natural processes of phenomena to be produced? The immutable God ordered the processes then just as we see today."

Thus the same processes do not refer to "new" creations but rather to the ongoing functions of how "nature" works. There were according to Gen. 1 six days of creation, as stated by Genesis they were command/fiat days..."And God said,..."

As for Genesis 2:1-3, What I believe to be completed was as noted above "all of the laws for the incipient powers, elements, material, etc. as to the natural processes of phenomena to be produced." We know that since creation life is birthed, trees and vegetation grow from seeds, and natural processes continue...Life does not "pop" into existence but that there is a God ordained process involved. Rough overview but I hope this clears up "Creation".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if I wasn't clear...but when I wrote "creation was of process". As I noted prior "God set in motion all of the laws for the incipient powers, elements, material, etc. as to the natural processes of phenomena to be produced? The immutable God ordered the processes then just as we see today."

Thus the same processes do not refer to "new" creations but rather to the ongoing functions of how "nature" works. There were according to Gen. 1 six days of creation, as stated by Genesis they were command/fiat days..."And God said,..."

As for Genesis 2:1-3, What I believe to be completed was as noted above "all of the laws for the incipient powers, elements, material, etc. as to the natural processes of phenomena to be produced." We know that since creation life is birthed, trees and vegetation grow from seeds, and natural processes continue...Life does not "pop" into existence but that there is a God ordained process involved. Rough overview but I hope this clears up "Creation".
Yes, I understand where you are coming from - thank you for clarifying.

Upvote 0