Gap creationism v. progressive creationism..

Hiscosmicgoldfish3

Mar 11, 2018
Barnstaple
✟19,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I believe in gap creationism or the gap theory. The theory is based on Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

the gap is here: there was one creation of the world, the prehistoric world of ammonites, trilobites, etc. This gap is supported by the following:

Deuteronomy 32:4–32:4
4 The Rock, his work is perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God, without deceit, just and upright is he.

according to deut. there is no demiurge, but a creator without deceit, and the creation was perfect.

Isaiah 45:18–45:18
18 For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it - he established it; he did not create it a chaos, he formed it to be inhabited! : I am the Lord, and there is no other.

Ezekiel 28:11-19 - the fall of Lucifer.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

'And the earth was without form', can also be rendered as 'became without form and void.

Psalm 104: 31-35
30 When you send forth your spirit, they are created; and you renew the face of the ground.

The action of the Holy Spirit, upon the waters, is a renewal or re-creation, in six literal days.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

the dry land appears - it was already there, it was not made or created at this point.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

The earth brings forth - this is like a form-making potential of the earth itself.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

this light from the luminaries is different to the original light, in verse 3 - the luminaries are set in the firmament of the heaven - not outside it, as with outer-space vacuum. The waters have been divided, above and below - and presumably the waters are still above the firmament.

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God made the sun and the moon, and the stars, on the fourth day. This means that there was light previously to day four, but no night - just evening and morning, so the cycle of 24 hours occurs with the making of the sun and moon on day four. This means that there is not a specific time duration for the previous days, and the vegetation, brought forth on the third day, might have lasted long enough for the trees to mature.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

v.25 says that God made the beast of the earth - this is a different Hebrew word to create. In my understanding, the earth and water has creative potential.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Man is created (see verse 27) in the image of God - not drawn from earth or water. Man does not have dominion over beast of the earth (it is missing in verse 26).

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So, the cosmology of Genesis one is, in my understanding, like a flat disc, that appears out of water, above and below. The firmament is a space made between the waters. There is a barrier of some sort, separating the water above the firmament - so there is no vacuum of space above. When I studied this, years ago, sticking to a very literal reading of the text, I derived a flat disc surrounded by water. This went against my understanding of the globe-earth, so I couldn't deduce the truth from the text.
The bible makes it clear that the earth is fixed. Just one example -

Psalm 104:5
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Atheist critics will say that the authors of the bible were just ignoramus' and believed that the earth was fixed. My research has led me to believe that the earth is fixed, and is not a globe. Space is fake and hoaxed. Genesis 1 was correct.
So what about Hugh Ross and 'reasons to believe? - old earth progressive creationism. I think there is value to the study that they have done on the hominids. However, in my opinion, they try to shoe-horn in the bible, to fit the science.
Genetic studies conclude that homo-sapiens originated 150,000 yrs in East Africa. There is evidence that homo-sapiens interbred with homo-neanderthal when they moved out of Africa into Europe. This lines up with Genesis one, but not with the rest of Genesis. So, do we need to drop the genealogies of Genesis? - arriving at 6000 years? I think so. I don't think you can try to work it, so that 6000 years becomes 50K yrs as Hugh Ross tries to do.

I personally think that the flood of Noah, is impossible. When you think about the birds and marsupials of Australia, and the bird distribution in the Americas - and the number of insect species - it seems impossible to me. There might have been a flood in southern Mesopotamia - which gave rise to the biblical flood story.

Wikipedia says that YEC science is pseudo-science. I think the YEC research is also useful, in revealing that geology is not according to Charles Lyell's uniformitarianism, but the layers were deposited by the great flood - only I believe that the great flood was within the gap of Genesis 1, and was not Noah's flood. And nothing survived it. There were no people on the earth. And the seas froze over and there was prolonged darkness:
Job 38:30
30 The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.

What is the age of mankind? Two species, created, some time after the gap in Genesis 1. Maybe three species, if we want to include denisovans. Evolutionists claim that homo-eretcus died out c. 1.8 myrs.
How long ago was the six days of creation? - I don't know, but I do know for certain that YEC is not true - as there is no radioactive carbon remaining in coal - and so the coal is older than 40K yrs.
Hugh Ross' team accept the standard cosmology - inc. the big bang - he has a PhD so he must be correct? I think not. Just because some of the bible is not true, doesn't mean that the foundation of Genesis 1 is not true.

Last edited:

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe in gap creationism or the gap theory. The theory is based on Genesis 1:

the gap is here: there was one creation of the world, the prehistoric world of ammonites, trilobites, etc. This gap is supported by the following:

4 The Rock, his work is perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God, without deceit, just and upright is he.

according to deut. there is no demiurge, but a creator without deceit, and the creation was perfect.

18 For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it - he established it; he did not create it a chaos, he formed it to be inhabited! : I am the Lord, and there is no other.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

'And the earth was without form', can also be rendered as 'became without form and void.

30 When you send forth your spirit, they are created; and you renew the face of the ground.

The action of the Holy Spirit, upon the waters, is a renewal or re-creation, in six literal days.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

the dry land appears - it was already there, it was not made or created at this point.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

The earth brings forth - this is like a form-making potential of the earth itself.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

this light from the luminaries is different to the original light, in verse 3 - the luminaries are set in the firmament of the heaven - not outside it, as with outer-space vacuum. The waters have been divided, above and below - and presumably the waters are still above the firmament.

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God made the sun and the moon, and the stars, on the fourth day. This means that there was light previously to day four, but no night - just evening and morning, so the cycle of 24 hours occurs with the making of the sun and moon on day four. This means that there is not a specific time duration for the previous days, and the vegetation, brought forth on the third day, might have lasted long enough for the trees to mature.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

v.25 says that God made the beast of the earth - this is a different Hebrew word to create. In my understanding, the earth and water has creative potential.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Man is created (see verse 27) in the image of God - not drawn from earth or water. Man does not have dominion over beast of the earth (it is missing in verse 26).

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So, the cosmology of Genesis one is, in my understanding, like a flat disc, that appears out of water, above and below. The firmament is a space made between the waters. There is a barrier of some sort, separating the water above the firmament - so there is no vacuum of space above. When I studied this, years ago, sticking to a very literal reading of the text, I derived a flat disc surrounded by water. This went against my understanding of the globe-earth, so I couldn't deduce the truth from the text.
The bible makes it clear that the earth is fixed. Just one example -

Psalm 104:5
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Atheist critics will say that the authors of the bible were just ignoramus' and believed that the earth was fixed. My research has led me to believe that the earth is fixed, and is not a globe. Space is fake and hoaxed. Genesis 1 was correct.
So what about Hugh Ross and 'reasons to believe? - old earth progressive creationism. I think there is value to the study that they have done on the hominids. However, in my opinion, they try to shoe-horn in the bible, to fit the science.
Genetic studies conclude that homo-sapiens originated 150,000 yrs in East Africa. There is evidence that homo-sapiens interbred with homo-neanderthal when they moved out of Africa into Europe. This lines up with Genesis one, but not with the rest of Genesis. So, do we need to drop the genealogies of Genesis? - arriving at 6000 years? I think so. I don't think you can try to work it, so that 6000 years becomes 50K yrs as Hugh Ross tries to do.

I personally think that the flood of Noah, is impossible. When you think about the birds and marsupials of Australia, and the bird distribution in the Americas - and the number of insect species - it seems impossible to me. There might have been a flood in southern Mesopotamia - which gave rise to the biblical flood story.

Wikipedia says that YEC science is pseudo-science. I think the YEC research is also useful, in revealing that geology is not according to Charles Lyell's uniformitarianism, but the layers were deposited by the great flood - only I believe that the great flood was within the gap of Genesis 1, and was not Noah's flood. And nothing survived it. There were no people on the earth. And the seas froze over and there was prolonged darkness:
Job 38:30 King James Version
30 The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.

What is the age of mankind? Two species, created, some time after the gap in Genesis 1. Maybe three species, if we want to include denisovans. Evolutionists claim that homo-eretcus died out c. 1.8 myrs.
How long ago was the six days of creation? - I don't know, but I do know for certain that YEC is not true - as there is no radioactive carbon remaining in coal - and so the coal is older than 40K yrs.
Hugh Ross' team accept the standard cosmology - inc. the big bang - he has a PhD so he must be correct? I think not. Just because some of the bible is not true, doesn't mean that the foundation of Genesis 1 is not true.

Gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 is still day 1 . Animals were created after day 1 which is making that theory plain wrong .

You can't fit evolution there and be right with Bible .

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your very sinple and insurmountable problem is that you are saying that God says that death and suffering is very good.

The bible dioscribes death as an enemy, it is never called 'good'.

Upvote 0

Hiscosmicgoldfish3

Mar 11, 2018
Barnstaple
✟19,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Your very sinple and insurmountable problem is that you are saying that God says that death and suffering is very good.

The bible dioscribes death as an enemy, it is never called 'good'.

death is not good, obviously - but I am not a fundamentalist - this enrages some people, and I have experienced a lot of intolerance on this matter, even being kicked out of a church, for not being a fundy and accepting their teaching. If you are a fundamentalist then you gravitate towards YEC - but the gap theory is solid - biblical, in my opinion.

Reactions: DarkSoul999
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
death is not good, obviously - but I am not a fundamentalist - this enrages some people, and I have experienced a lot of intolerance on this matter, even being kicked out of a church, for not being a fundy and accepting their teaching. If you are a fundamentalist then you gravitate towards YEC - but the gap theory is solid - biblical, in my opinion.

I would have little to do with any church that made the view of creation such a basic issue.

While it is important, and my comment shows the fundamental flaw in 'gap age theory'. It is not a salvation issue, just one of reason.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would like to call out that Adam and Eve, along with animals, were formed mature and commanded to multiply. Also, if God wants to flood the planet, He can. If He wants to put some animals on a boat, He can. In short, nothing is impossible for God. He's not bound by space, time or any natural construction, for they are all subject to the Creator. In other words, God is not bound by His own creation - on the contrary - He often works against nature (as we know it) by miracles, such as the greatest miracle of all: The death and resurrection of Christ for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus re-affirms Genesis' creation account in Matthew 19:4-5 and the deluge in Matthew 24:37-39
We know this to be true, for all things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

As a side note, the flooding of the world is important to understand God's goodness and righteousness, for it illustrates God's faithfulness, His unchanging nature, that He punishes sin and that He has mercy and power to create all things new, as He will at the coming of Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: twin.spin
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My research has led me to believe that the earth is fixed, and is not a globe. Space is fake and hoaxed. Genesis 1 was correct.

This nonsense is why atheism is skyrocketing in the West....:doh:

Young people listen to Christians talk like this and just can't help but laugh at the crazy.

Genesis was written to be vague and to briefly describe real natural events that ancient humans could not possibly comprehend. This is far superior to creation stories in other cultures which are straight up mythology.

Why do you feel the need to reach for the most extreme absurdity that you can possibly think of? I'm not getting this....don't tell me to "do [my] research". A $500 flight ticket instantly proves you wrong. You need not believe everything the weird part of the internet tells you...

• Winner
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would like to call out that Adam and Eve, along with animals, were formed mature and commanded to multiply. Also, if God wants to flood the planet, He can. If He wants to put some animals on a boat, He can. In short, nothing is impossible for God. He's not bound by space, time or any natural construction, for they are all subject to the Creator. In other words, God is not bound by His own creation - on the contrary - He often works against nature (as we know it) by miracles, such as the greatest miracle of all: The death and resurrection of Christ for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus re-affirms Genesis' creation account in Matthew 19:4-5 and the deluge in Matthew 24:37-39
We know this to be true, for all things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

As a side note, the flooding of the world is important to understand God's goodness and righteousness, for it illustrates God's faithfulness, His unchanging nature, that He punishes sin and that He has mercy and power to create all things new, as He will at the coming of Christ.

and he erases all tangible evidence to test our faith?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

As an outline I agree that the scripture used do support the gap theory between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. It clears up a lot of confusion too, which I believe also to be further proof. Flat earth etc. is speculation only.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 is still day 1 . Animals were created after day 1 which is making that theory plain wrong .

You can't fit evolution there and be right with Bible .

Unless the days were never meant to be in sequence.

God is NOT A MERE HUMAN but all the fundies want to lower him to their own level of understanding....so sad. Really sad!

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
and he erases all tangible evidence to test our faith?

Not any more than He "erased tangible evidence" of the resurrection of Christ. Paul says: "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that verse from Job, "He inscribed a circle on the face of the waters", which is the foundation of the flat earth cosmology is actually referring to the waters above, and the circle is the zodiacal band formed by the plane of the ecliptic. That band is a big deal in the Ancient Near East, and they viewed what we call space as a watery abyss.

I think there are gaps between each "day". That is a day was a generation, a period of time. For example God created plant kind, which began with types of algae that formed our oxygen rich atmosphere over a long period of time.

I think the reason there are two luminaries is because the first one is the formation of stars and the second one is when they reached completion for times and seasons. Times and seasons is the intent of this "day" not light. For example the earth had a 23 hour day before the moon drifted far enough away to lock us in a 24 hr rotation. The sun also began much dimmer and reached it's current state later. This is when the sun became "the sun" and when the moon became "the moon", that is when it reached the completeness God intended for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

God is NOT A MERE HUMAN but all the fundies want to lower him to their own level of understanding....so sad. Really sad!
The sequence of the days is clear. Sadly, some want to obfuscate them and put others down.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is NO "gap" between Genesis 1:1, and 1:2, except in the minds of some! NO Scripture can be produced for this fallacy.

The gap is the period of time in which the creation became and remained in chaos of some sort until the restoration of earth's surface described in the narrative that follows. The condition of the earth's crust is all the evidence needed to determine that great upheaval had occurred in the distant past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The gap is the period of time in which the creation became and remained in chaos of some sort until the restoration of earth's surface described in the narrative that follows. The condition of the substrate is all the evidence needed to determine that great upheaval had occurred in the distant past.

complete rubbish from the devil's attacks on God's PERFECT Creation out of nothing!

• Agree
Reactions: twin.spin
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
complete rubbish from the devil's attacks on God's PERFECT Creation out of nothing!

The geologic record; an ancient earth that reveals periodic upheaval; supports Gap theory.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yea I agree brother , God is not mere human and could create everything in 7 days but fundies want to lower him to thier understanding and force him to create everything over billions of years .

It works both ways as you can see . Opinion is an opinion .

Upvote 0

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The geologic record; an ancient earth that reveals periodic upheaval; supports Gap theory.

This Holy Bible, God's Inspired, Infallible and Inerrant Word, says NO! Who really gives a hoot about science or the like, they are ALWAYS WRONG!

• Informative
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0