✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

It has been a while since i last posted on here, so for those who wanted to know how I've been doing; I've been doing well, working and finishing up school.

Anyway, getting back to the advice portion, I been wanting to try to make better gaming choices whenever I go and play video-games. I do feel like that the step away from GTA V was one of the best decisions I made as .. (clears throat) you know the game's nature.

But then now I'm playing games like Madden 21, Black Ops 3, and Black Ops Cold War (Both of the Black Ops' for their zombies mode).

So my question is, am i making better gaming choices? Is there anything i could do better? Could really use all the help i can get.

Reactions: Lg2000

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

It has been a while since i last posted on here, so for those who wanted to know how I've been doing; I've been doing well, working and finishing up school.

Anyway, getting back to the advice portion, I been wanting to try to make better gaming choices whenever I go and play video-games. I do feel like that the step away from GTA V was one of the best decisions I made as .. (clears throat) you know the game's nature.

But then now I'm playing games like Madden 21, Black Ops 3, and Black Ops Cold War (Both of the Black Ops' for their zombies mode).

So my question is, am i making better gaming choices? Is there anything i could do better? Could really use all the help i can get.

I would advise you to look to God and the Spirit's promptings in this area. Hobbies, games, and entertainment are so varied and so different for each person. It's impossible to draw a hard line and say "This game is absolutely okay and this one isn't". Some people freak out over something as innocuous (in my opinion) as a dragon or a fairy or a troll. Or a game that involves using a weapon to kill an enemy. Others will say that everything is permissible and you shouldn't worry about any of it. So, in the end, it's best to stay close to Jesus, and listen to what He speaks to your heart. Because what's profitable for you as an individual, may be different from what another person needs.

Upvote 0

Lg2000

Dec 15, 2003
L.A.
✟27,613.00
Faith
Christian
I think thats a good choice you made.
im glad i stopped liking gta long ago even when i wasnt following god.

I play cod and nba 2k basically , besides retro games. Cod is basically military style game , i dont see a problem with it long as you dont take it serious or get full of anger while playing games(which i see so many people doing) . Some people are influenced by games , i personally dont feel like killing anyone when im done playing games.
Games can be really addicting. Like ill blow 5-6 hours at a time.
To much of anything can be a bad thing. Just listen to god and if something messes with your spirit know when to walk away.
Ive never made a friend online gaming but i supposes others have and you can witness.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The standard for deciding what you should and shouldn't play isn't what you feel about it, or what your heart tells you is okay, but what God has commanded of you in His word - assuming, of course, that you're a Christian and care about God's will.

Here's a place to start:

Psalm 10:3
3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes

What are "wicked things"?

Anything that fails to meet the standard of Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

And the command of 1 Corinthians 10:31:

Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.

And the command of Ephesians 5:8-12:

For you were sometimes darkness, but now are you light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

How do your games stack-up against God's standard? Are they "true, honest, just, pure and lovely"? How does your game play glorify God? How do you walk as a "child of light" as you play your video games?

You should also ask yourself: Does my play get in the way of my fellowship with God? Do I spend as much or more time with Him praying and studying His word as I do gaming?

Do you even care?

Paul wrote that he would not be brought under the power of anything (except God). How about you? Are you under the power of an addiction to gaming? Could you stop playing games immediately and never play again and be perfectly all right within yourself about doing so? If not, I would suggest to you that your gaming is out of control and needs to be set aside.

Exodus 20:1-3
And God spoke all these words, saying, I am the LORD your God, who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything i could do better? Could really use all the help i can get.

Take a hard look at your daily routine.
How much time do you spend reading the Bible,reading serious books, volunteering at church or with charities, playing sport/exercising, being with other people?

Where are your priorities?

There is nothing wrong with playing games, so long as they or other aspects of the internet is not your life.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

It is not wrong to play computer games. It is just for enjoyment. However, we need to be careful that it does not take over our spiritual life/growth.

The bible tells us that without spending time with God daily we become weak spiritually. We need to be seeking God every day.

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Gal 5:16-18 If you are guided by the Spirit, you won't obey your selfish desires. The Spirit and your desires are enemies of each other. They are always fighting each other and keeping you from doing what you feel you should. But if you obey the Spirit, the Law of Moses has no control over you.

I would say if you enjoy computer games, still do it, but ensure that you spend a good-sized portion of the day in prayer, and seeking God's purposes for your life.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone mentioned above that they had never met other players while gaming. That's all changed with the arrival of Discord a few years ago. Groups for gamers have absolutely exploded. I run a Discord server with over 500 members for LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), and have made many, many great acquaintances there, including other Christians and very lost souls.

Upvote 0