Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Let's discuss. Are there any games you believe carry even a vaguely Christian theme? Which game and why?

I just played through the game Journey again. It's gorgeous, has a wonderful soundtrack, and is genuinely considered a masterpiece. The storyline is left open to interpretation, but I honestly feel it carries a Christian, or at least vaguely religious, theme. I think the whole thing is just one big metaphor for life.

How? Well, let's start with the terrain. In the beginning of the game everything is bright and filled with very little challenge for our protagonist(who remains a mystery in themselves). Surely that could represent the innocence of childhood. As you progress further it becomes increasingly treacherous until the protagonist collapses entirely. Death perhaps? Sure, but then you return to full strength and find yourself in a beautiful oasis-like place at the mountain peak. It could be a representation of heaven, especially since there's white angelic-like beings guiding you throughout the game until finally reviving you at the end.

Additionally, there's rock-like creatures later on in the game that hinder your progress. These could represent demons or perhaps even just the many challenges of life. A brilliant double meaning there. Contrast these with the floating ribbon creatures and the other players you encounter if you play online. That could be a representation of the friends, family, priests/pastors, etc. that help you through the obstacles and challenges of life.

I have thought about this theory quite a bit and I think it's pretty solid. The game is left intentionally vague I think so the player can project their own meaning into it. I'm sure there's been countless other interpretations as well.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had this crazy idea once, a game called escape the Antichrist. The idea was a board game that was on the roll of the dice moving through an apocalyptic landscape. It seemed so dark I eventually abandoned it but it was intriguing, just as a concept.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Kings of Israel. It's not specifically Christian, more like "biblical". It's similar to the game Pandemic. There is a boardgame version, and also a PC version. It's the first Bible-based game I've played that hasn't been terrible. The player(s) move around prophets and try to keep sin from accumulating by performing sacrifices and preaching. The reign of good kings and bad kings also influences the game.

kings-of-israel-35726.jpg

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
World of Warcraft, as long as you play Paladin or Disc/Holy Priest. The ability names are taken from the Christian religion.

But I'm not really recommending that game due to plenty of occult symbols in the game.

Eh...it's just a game. I know plenty of Christians who play it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Eh...it's just a game. I know plenty of Christians who play it.

I used to play it a few years ago.

I actually came to know one Christian player who would approach other players in the game and minister about Christ!

I don't know what to think about it. It is strange.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is set in the Holy Roman Empire in 1403.

The NPC's say phrases like "God be with you" and "Jesus Christ be praised". There are Churches in game and missions involving them. Unfortunately I haven't played it much as it can be abit buggy. I got to a battle section where my character was too weak. I also started playing online games more. I'll continue it at some point.

The general story without spoilders involves a blacksmith's son becoming embroiled with Nobility.

I can't really think of others...

Some vague and similar games are The Long Dark (mainly survival)and Firewatch (mainly story). I'd say the latter is more of a Christian game. If it even is. It follows a man who leaves to be a fire lookout. You are in a remote location with a handheld radio.

Lastly for now, SOMA. I would actually say this is not a Christian game. I played this before becoming a Christian as with most games except KC: D. I know you want Christian themed games but the ending of this one makes it worthwhile mentioning. If you play it you'll see why. It's a horror game but not in the typical style.

• Winner
Reactions: BWV 565
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,144.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a game from the medieval Bohemia, there are Christian themes everywhere you go. But its not a Christian game. There are also curse words, sex, player can have various game stories like affairs or to meet some very spoiled priests etc.

So, if you will play it "morally", then maybe its a good game for you.

For me personally, I am for games without magic, paganism, antichristian words etc.

So far I ended up with War Thunder, WoT, Heroes and Generals and similar. Not that I love the WWII theme, but its free of occult and paganism.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: BWV 565
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a game from the medieval Bohemia, there are Christian themes everywhere you go. But its not a Christian game. There are also curse words, sex, player can have various game stories like affairs or to meet some very spoiled priests etc.

So, if you will play it "morally", then maybe its a good game for you.

For me personally, I am for games without magic, paganism, antichristian words etc.

So far I ended with War Thunder, WoT, Heroes and Generals and similar. Not that I love the WWII theme, but its free of occult and paganism.
I agree. I hadn't played a lot of it when I answered but I've met one of the priests and I know now many people play as thieves etc.

TBH most of the games I mentioned are really grasping at straws at being "Christian themed". Maybe some of them are neutral though?

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't think of any games I've played with overt Christian themes. Crusader Kings 2 comes to mind but it's a sandbox where you can be any sort of medieval ruler you want. So you can be an immoral, kinslaying, adulterous bastard (literally) or actually have the character be pious and become a saint.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One of the big factors in creating suspense or tension in a story is the uncertainty of the outcome. The hope and certainty that Christianity purports to bring to its adherents is going to undermine the tension that the creators need to keep the game exciting and replayable.

Your best bet to successfully execute on religious themes is some kind of indie game, like Journey or Gone Home - basically, a "walking sim" where you're exploring some facet of a character's personal struggle. I don't really see how you could have a game based on combat or some other competitive element that's truly "Christian" and not merely just an agnostic game with Christian imagery tacked onto it.

Wow, I'd forgotten how bad that was. There's literally nothing redeeming about that at all. I've seen undergrads put together better projects over a weekend game jam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I'd forgotten how bad that was. There's literally nothing redeeming about that at all. I've seen undergrads put together better projects over a weekend game jam.
Happy to remind you. I hope you dont get any nightmares from it.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't think of any games I've played with overt Christian themes. Crusader Kings 2 comes to mind but it's a sandbox where you can be any sort of medieval ruler you want. So you can be an immoral, kinslaying, adulterous bastard (literally) or actually have the character be pious and become a saint.

I'm no modder, but I've always wanted to create a mod for CK2 that would allow you to play as the clergy, or a monk/nun. The progression could be hieromonk > bishop > Patriarch, and then be able to become the Patriarch of one of the ancient Holy Sees. That or become Igumen etc of your monastery. Add Holy Relics into the game, make Holy Mt. Athos more important in the Eastern Roman Empire, etc.

Also, I was hoping they'd add that when they came out with the Monks & Mystics DLC, but unfortunately not.

Upvote 0

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let's discuss. Are there any games you believe carry even a vaguely Christian theme? Which game and why?

I just played through the game Journey again. It's gorgeous, has a wonderful soundtrack, and is genuinely considered a masterpiece. The storyline is left open to interpretation, but I honestly feel it carries a Christian, or at least vaguely religious, theme. I think the whole thing is just one big metaphor for life.

How? Well, let's start with the terrain. In the beginning of the game everything is bright and filled with very little challenge for our protagonist(who remains a mystery in themselves). Surely that could represent the innocence of childhood. As you progress further it becomes increasingly treacherous until the protagonist collapses entirely. Death perhaps? Sure, but then you return to full strength and find yourself in a beautiful oasis-like place at the mountain peak. It could be a representation of heaven, especially since there's white angelic-like beings guiding you throughout the game until finally reviving you at the end.

Additionally, there's rock-like creatures later on in the game that hinder your progress. These could represent demons or perhaps even just the many challenges of life. A brilliant double meaning there. Contrast these with the floating ribbon creatures and the other players you encounter if you play online. That could be a representation of the friends, family, priests/pastors, etc. that help you through the obstacles and challenges of life.

I have thought about this theory quite a bit and I think it's pretty solid. The game is left intentionally vague I think so the player can project their own meaning into it. I'm sure there's been countless other interpretations as well.
I find the Halo franchise to have a very Christian theme. There's even a reference to the Great Schism of 1054. I actually am a Halo fan because of the books, rather than the games. There are so many things in Halo named after Biblical events, such as the Flood and Ark. The Covenant's religious structure, as well as their religion's changes after their schism is outright compared with Christianity by one of the aliens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you like crosswords, word searches, and/or trivia, check out this site:

https://www.christianbiblereference.org/

The big crossword puzzles are horrible (many have clues for other religions and Muhammed Ali) but I like the small crosswords, which are 100% Biblical. So are both the big and small word searches. If you finish finding all of the listed words, click on the remaining letters in the correct order to find an extra word. But I don't like the way to select letters (click on the first and last letter of each word you find).

Bible Trivia is educational. Verses are quoted and linked in the answers after a player is done guessing all of them, whether they are right or wrong. You can choose three difficulty levels on many topics.

Upvote 0

Zantetsuken

Mar 26, 2019
Farmington, Missouri
✟16,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In Crusader Kings 2 (with the dearth of DLC available) you can play out history as a ruler from a variety of religious backgrounds. The most common religious themes revolve around Catholicism and the Papacy holds a lot of power, but it's a huge game and you can pretty much play out any kind of scenario you like, with plenty of events and characters showing up in the game depending on the decisions you make.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Age of Emperors II because there are monks/priests in it. ^_^

I can’t really think of any actual Christian themed games except ones that have bible trivia. When I was a kid we used to play bible jeopardy in sunday school. Fun times.

Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm no modder, but I've always wanted to create a mod for CK2 that would allow you to play as the clergy, or a monk/nun. The progression could be hieromonk > bishop > Patriarch, and then be able to become the Patriarch of one of the ancient Holy Sees. That or become Igumen etc of your monastery. Add Holy Relics into the game, make Holy Mt. Athos more important in the Eastern Roman Empire, etc.

Also, I was hoping they'd add that when they came out with the Monks & Mystics DLC, but unfortunately not.

If you are serious I could work on this with friends. I’m not a big “gamer” but I do make mods for Paradox games among others.

Upvote 0