Full, All out, NO HOLDS BARRED... Eternal Security Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can you lose eternal life, if you lose it then it never was eternal...
That is correct.
We are not the same old unregenerate spirit washed up and pumped up.
We are born again of INCORRUPTIBLE seed that live FOREVER:

1Pt:1:
23: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

The life of the word is in you and will never die. Your spirit is incorruptible because it was created by the incorruptable words from Gods mouth.
Your reborn spirit will live and abide forever because of the word of God that holds you together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Living EVERYDAY for God !!!
Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
ok,just so i get what you mean..

you think,you are keeping yourself?

and you think if you did not,you would be unsaved..?

Thats not what I said - I do not believe I am keeping myself

I believe I am allowing myself to be kept (freewill)

God is not going to force me to remain faithful to him

I think if I choose to not be saved then I won't be saved

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe in free will up to the point of being predestined. We have freewill to run our whole lives away from Him, and we can do it quite well for a long time, but you know, predestination catches up with you. We're just not that strong when God wants you. It was Jesus that said, "Remember, you have not chosen me, but I have chosen you"..Thats a humbling thing to know right there. The rest of our life is discovering that we did nothing to earn it. So to me the only thing that could take place is an idea that God didn't want us anymore. That's not the God I have come to know.
Amen...
I can free will the color tie I wear. I can free will my job, my marriage, my car.
I cannot free will myself to become a tree or free will the moon into green cheese. Free will is meaningless regarding things you do not have the power to change.
You can free will yourself to obey your reborn spirit and the word. You can free will yourself to walk in the flesh. And you will pay the price for that bad decision. First your conscience will bug the crap out of you until you reject that conviction... then you enter into the area of mocking God.

Gal 6
7: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8: For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Where do you reap the corruption you sow in the flesh?
You reap that corruption IN the flesh.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats not what I said - I do not believe I am keeping myself

I believe I am allowing myself to be kept (freewill)

God is not going to force me to remain faithful to him

I think if I choose to not be saved then I won't be saved
God is not forcing you... your nature is.
Is God "forcing" a good tree to produce good fruit. Is He forcing dogs to bark and cows to moo? These things are determined by nature.
Does God "force" the unregenerate to sin? NO. That is his nature to do so.
Nor does God "force" you to be kept.

God does not need your permission to keep you. He does not care what you allow and you do not allow. You are not sovereign over your eternal life... HE is. Your choices do not blow away the power of God, the cross, the resurrection, and the word of life in you.
When you were unregenerate, you did not choose to be a sinner. You sinned even when you thought you were doing good. You were "forced" by your nature to sin. Now you are a regenerate. You are "forced" by your reborn nature to do righteousness. It is not a choice any more than it is the choice of a good tree to put forth good fruit. It is just nature.

Eph 2
10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God has DNA? :confused: Anyhow, aren't we adopted children?

~Jim

You can do a wrong thing long enough that it looks right.
We are REALLY born again. We have His seed, His nature, His spirit.
If we follow the reborn spirit of Christ that now lives in us... we will never sin because our reborn spirit cannot sin.

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I like this one:

Phil:1:
6: Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Should we have this confidence also?

This is a very small excerp from a letter Paul wrote to the Philippians stating that he is confident in them based off NOT ONLY God's good work in them but THEIR zeal and sacrifice for the faith

ref: 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;

14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.
15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

God's faithfulness ALWAYS avails for faithful believers, however HIS faithfullness can do nothing for those who resist HIS grace.

2 Tim 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

This scripture is saying whether we believe it or not Christ will be faithful to carry out both his promises to us AND his warnings. Christ's divine faithfulness is a comfort to those who REMAIN faithful and a warning to those who don't.

God must remain faithful to his word.

2 Tim 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

This is Paul writing to Timothy - why if both Paul and Timothy are saved and even OSAS would he say "if WE deny him, he also will deny US"

If they were saved and in no danger of ever not being saved why would Paul feel the need to address this "IN FIRST PERSON' to Timothy?

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
God is not forcing you... your nature is.

:scratch:

Is God "forcing" a good tree to produce good fruit.

All trees dont produce good fruit - some trees dont produce fruit at all - they are no less of a tree?

Is He forcing dogs to bark and cows to moo? These things are determined by nature.
Does God "force" the unregenerate to sin? NO. That is his nature to do so.
Nor does God "force" you to be kept.

God does not need your permission to keep you. He does not care what you allow and you do not allow. You are not sovereign over your eternal life... HE is. Your choices do not blow away the power of God, the cross, the resurrection, and the word of life in you.

It is not about whether he NEEDS my permission - I totally agree - he doesn't NEED anything from me - but he DESIRES our willingness, our WANT TO, our obedience. What good is love if you have to demand it?

That was the main reason behind our creation - God had millions of angels worshipping him without ceasing - it was their assignment to worship and honor God - they had no choice......we have a choice and God wants us to CHOOSE to love and obey him.

When you were unregenerate, you did not choose to be a sinner. You sinned even when you thought you were doing good. You were "forced" by your nature to sin. Now you are a regenerate. You are "forced" by your reborn nature to do righteousness. It is not a choice any more than it is the choice of a good tree to put forth good fruit. It is just nature.

Eph 2
10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This scripture you quoted says it just like I believe it.....

Eph 2
10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

That we should walk in them - this would be the best option for us - however it does not say we must walk in them

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We are REALLY born again. We have His seed, His nature, His spirit.
If we follow the reborn spirit of Christ that now lives in us... we will never sin because our reborn spirit cannot sin.

EXACTLY!!! The key word is "IF"

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
oh welll..from now on when i see folks that think they are keeping themselves....

Its all them..

i will loudly aplaude them!:)

I will walk away saying,,gee...what mighty saints.

They"" did not need grace..

they were strong!:clap:

"they" did not need to trust in the incoruptiple seed!
"they" did not need to be chosen before the foundation of the world!
"their" willpower did it..they were mighty!
"they" had such fortitude!
"they" did not need to be predestined..

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
oh welll..from now on when i see folks that think they are keeping themselves....

Its all them..

i will loudly aplaude them!:)

I will walk away saying,,gee...what mighty saints.

They"" did not need grace..

they were strong!:clap:

"they" did not need to trust in the incoruptiple seed!
"they" did not need to be chosen before the foundation of the world!
"their" willpower did it..they were mighty!
"they" had such fortitude!
"they" did not need to be predestined..

Sarcasm and Criticism ???
If this is the fruit that is born from OSAS then I would really rather have no part of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well... Yes I suppose you are right.. people do need my point of view very badly! (j/k)

Indeed! And thank you for sharing!

Anyway, It depends on how you define eternal security. We are not insecure in the sense that God's promises are unsure, or that there is something out there which might overcome God.
However, that in no way means that it is impossible for a person to "lose" salvation through abandoning faith and allegiance to Christ.
So, as long as you persist in faith, you are eternally secure.

That is what this discussion is about. I disagree. We did not get saved by our own persistence or claiming allegiance to Christ. We did not choose to be saved. Indeed, we were incapable of even that.

Romans 3
10: As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

We were saved, not by our choice, but by His. He chose us.

I know people have the idea that they come to belief by choice. They wake up one morning and decide that they will get saved today, or they go down to the alter and they think that their salvation was a result of some on the spot choice they just made. But I think that by the time any "choice" presents itself to our minds, the deed has already been done. You have already believed and you have already been born again. Your mind was just playing catch up with what already happened in your spirit. What happened in your spirit was that God revealed the truth of the gospel to you. Faith came because He spoke the words into your spirit.

Romans 10:17 (my para)
Faith comes by a Revelation and a revelation (comes) by a spoken word from Christ.

We like to think we are in control. Our minds and egos want to feel secure that nothing happens to us without our "consent." So our mind runs along behind amening what the spirit has already done... as if God needs our mind's permission. I cannot see that. IMO that entire mindset is born of the anti-Christ spirit that permeates the fallen creation. The church got duped into incorporating that concept into our teaching and doctrine. By that I mean the idea that we make Jesus Lord and Christ...and that unless we give Him "permission" then He is not Lord and Christ over us.

Not so.

God made Jesus Lord and Christ:

Acts:2:
36: Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

There is nothing here that implies we have any say so in this. It is a God decision and it is already done. Jesus is Lord and Christ regardless of what we accept, decide, or choose. He is lord of ALL including every one of us.

Acts:10
36: The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
Romans 10
12: For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

I think we err greatly when we suggest to people that they have to do something in the form of a "choice" because their faith is then not upon the word of God, but upon their own "determination," or as you put it "persistence." They are resting on the the depth of their own "decisions." To them, Christ is only Christ as long as they "determine" Him to be Christ. But the word of God says that GOD made Jesus to be the Christ, and our faith should be on the strength of HIS word, His choice, His determination... not ours. He did it and we can rest eternally on these facts. Jesus is our Lord and Christ, and He will never cease to be regardless of what we say or do. That is the power of our faith... not on a choice we may or may not stick with, but His word which will never fail or change.

We were saved, not because we chose something, but because we became spiritually aware of these facts in our spirit: That Jesus is both Lord and Christ. That He died for our sins. That He rose from the dead. The mere fact that we are aware of these things is what saves us. Any resulting "choice" we may make is merely mental ascent. Nice... but powerless to actually do or change anything.

From my point of view, its abundantly clear in scripture that it is possible for people to make a real start of faith, and then to turn back and abandon it.

You are making a couple assumptions here. As above, you appear to be thinking that faith comes as a result of a choice and that the strength of your faith is only as strong as the depth of that choice and your persistence to maintain it. You are assuming that all these things are happening as a result of our choices and free will. I actually agree with you that people can lose their salvation... but not by sin or choice. Neither of these have the power to reverse the things that God has done. Only God can change these things. It takes power to do these things. It take miracles (miracles to us... the norm for Him) to change the nature of a spirit from one to another. This is not accomplished by mere choice. Some choice we make does not miraculously change our spirit. Free will cannot perform miracles.

Parables such as the parable of the sower are good examples of this. Then there are the numerous passages through out the new testament that warn believers to be watchful, and to be careful, lest they fall away, and the words which fortell that many shall indeed fall away "first there shall come a great apostasy" "in the last days many shall depart from the faith" etc.

But do these verses specifically state the outcome of this apostasy and departing from the faith? We are assuming here that these things effect some change in our spirit. Is that so? There is also evidence that believers commit terrible sins like fornication.. but they remain saved. They may endure corruption of the flesh (even death) due to their sinning... but does it specifically say they will cease to be the children of God?

Many people won't like this, because it is different than the traditional protestant view of how salvation works, but I am convinced that our western protestant understanding of salvation is not entirely correct. It is incomplete and leaves some things out. It also makes some assumptions that I think are false.
The most basic assumption that I don't agree with is that the "conversion" experience and the "born again" experience are the same thing. I don't think they are, and I don't think that the bible teaches that they are.
Biblically, being born again is linked to baptism, not to "making a decision". One of the most important things about this is that biblically being born again is a completely sovereign act of God's mercy and it is not contingent upon the person.
However, it is also abundantly clear in scripture that God requires obedience, and he requires transformation of the person. This is accomplished by the power and work of the Holy Spirit, but it absolutely and necessarily involves the will of the person.

I agree. You will comes into play when you decide to follow the inclination of your reborn spirit. You have the choice to walk in the spirit or the flesh. What is the outcome of choosing to walk in the flesh? Corruption of the flesh. You reap what you sow. There is ample evidence in the NT that people who sin will suffer a "just recompense of reward." That means the punishment matches the crime. God is just. He does not impart the death penalty for jay walking. Later we may get into "sins unto death" and "sins not unto death."

One common way of phrasing this transformation is "conversion" or sometimes "heart conversion".
When a person is born again, they are made part of the covenant. Part of the Kingdom of God. However, I am convinced that scripture clearly teaches that those who are part of the covenant, and part of the Kingdom, must still undergo the conversion experience, which may begin with a momentary experience, but is fundamentally an ongoing process of transformation.
So, when a person is born again, God gives them a new spirit, which enables them to be transformed and to become united with Christ. At that point they are really in the covenant, and in the kingdom. However, their final judgment will ultimately be based upon wether or not, they truly followed the conversion experience, the process of conversion.
This is why in a some of the parables Jesus makes the clear statement that some who are part of the Kingdom, will be cast into outer darkness.
You see the gift God gives us in being born again is completely unconditional. Yet, final judgement is based upon if that gift bore fruit in your life.
Final judgement is not based on whether or not the seed was planted.. it is based on whether or not the plant bore fruit.
This is why in the parable of the sower, some of the seeds are planted, and they begin to grow.. but then they fail to produce fruit and they die.p

So in a way you seem to be saying that in this life, people in fact DO have eternal security, and that it cannot be lost until the judgment seat of Christ?

This, also, is not about works. I am not remotely saying that if you do enough good deeds, then you will be approved. Rather it is about who and what you become. If you become loving, it is not a work that you did. If you become patient, it is not a work that you did. It is a work of the Spirit, that you allowed God to bring to fruition through your spirit.
You can, however, choose to cooperate with God's work in you, or to oppose it.
Ultimately its about life. When we are born again, we are given the means to partake and to participate in the life of God. However, God does not force us to do so.
in many charismatic circles you hear all sorts of talk about the promises we have in God, who we are in God, etc... yet it is often fairly rare to see those things actually realized in many Christian's lives.. why, if they are promised?
Because people do not avail themselves of the life that God has made available to them through being born again. Our spirit is not what naturally drives out being. We are in this life, natural, or "soulish" creatures. In other words it is our soul that drives us. The soul is the mind, the emotions, and it controls the body.
The life of God is made available through our spirit, but our soul does not naturally partake of it.

Good ideas... thanks for sharing!

I think everything you are saying pertains to this life and the abundance that we can receive due to our walking in the light. This involves temporal justice and blessings... not eternal. IMO.

this is why Paul talked about the war within himself. It is the war between the spirit and the soul, the godly, and the natural, for control.
You only realize the life that God has given you, you only partake of it, when you submit yourself to the spirit that God has given you and you live by the spirit.
It is only then that you can actually begin to realize all the spiritual promises that God has made for us.
thus it is entirely possible for someone to be born again, and yet never really partake of the abundant life, never walk by the spirit, and never really be converted.
It is also very possible for someone to start on that path and begin to experience those things, and then turn back.

Agree.... but the question remains what will happen to those who do not walk in the spirit and ultimately walk in the flesh all their lives. Does that undo the work of Christ and the new birth. They may suffer loss. They may even be turned over to satan for the destruction of their flesh. But what effect does it have on the reborn spirit of Christ in them.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
EXACTLY!!! The key word is "IF"
If we do not (follow the reborn spirit of Christ), then what? Do we cease to be born again? No. We walk as mere men, we walk in the flesh and reap in the flesh the corruption we sow in the flesh.
Bad... even death.
But that does not undo the work of Christ on the cross, the resurrection, and the new birth.

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sad is the constant critisism directed at other Christians on a Christian forum no less. I hate to think how some people must treat the world.

I hear alot of LOVE LOVE LOVE - but it all seems to be Lip service....I really do not see alot of that being practised within the confines of these threads.

I bet there are times when God just shakes his head and wonders what in the world we are thinking when we treat fellow man with such behaviour. I can only relate this to how I feel when one of my children is cruel to another of my children. It puts me between a rock and a hard place because no matter which way I react ONE of my children will suffer.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This scripture you quoted says it just like I believe it.....

Eph 2
10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

That we should walk in them - this would be the best option for us - however it does not say we must walk in them
But you are not speaking to salvation here. You are speaking to obediance. What is the result of disobediance? If you say a loss of salvation, then your salvation is dependant upon works.
The point of Eph 2:10 is to say that before we were born again we could not do good works. The unregenerate spirit in us could not do righteousness. So this is the significant change here. He is not talking about getting saved or staying saved here. He is simply saying that we can now do something (good works... good fruit) that before we could not do. Now that we CAN do them.... we shouuld. We do not always.... but the main point here is that we now CAN where before we could not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If we do not (follow the reborn spirit of Christ), then what? Do we cease to be born again? No. We walk as mere men, we walk in the flesh and reap in the flesh the corruption we sow in the flesh.
Bad... even death.
But that does not undo the work of Christ on the cross, the resurrection, and the new birth.

I am sorry I still do not see what you are saying and how it lines up with scripture.......What does reap in the flesh mean exactly?

How can the saved and the unsaved walk in the flesh, reap in the flesh and sow in the flesh and it NOT result in the same reward and/or punishment?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sad is the constant critisism directed at other Christians on a Christian forum no less. I hate to think how some people must treat the world.

I hear alot of LOVE LOVE LOVE - but it all seems to be Lip service....I really do not see alot of that being practised within the confines of these threads.

I bet there are times when God just shakes his head and wonders what in the world we are thinking when we treat fellow man with such behaviour. I can only relate this to how I feel when one of my children is cruel to another of my children. It puts me between a rock and a hard place because no matter which way I react ONE of my children will suffer.
I hope this is not directed at me....
THere is no criticism intended.

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I hope this is not directed at me....
THere is no criticism intended.

Not at all brother - although I do not agree with your viewpoints I do respect them and you do back them up with scripture which I also respect. I also listen with a very open mind and know that sometimes God uses other saints to help us see things. This one thing though I do not feel will ever change for me. I believe I am called to be more than a mere woman walking around in sin. I feel God hopes for more from me even expects more from me and I will go to my grave being as obedient as I possibly can because I believe obedience is the ultimate display of love and affection.

Ya'll can call it works if you want but I do not do it for man to see, I do it because I love God and I want to show him the love and respect he so GREATLY deserves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.