Full, All out, NO HOLDS BARRED... Eternal Security Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you up for it????
Can you do it without being unfriendly.
Consider that people need to hear your point of view VERY badly!
You HAVE to get them to see the truth and being unfriendly will not do it....
SO BE NICE! :pray:

I believe in the "security of the believer." I use that terminology because I am uncomfortable with the phrase "once saved always saved." I suppose those holding the contrary view are equally unhappy about the phrase TLLF: "Twice lost, lost forever." :o

So... convince me. Imagine me dangling on the edge and there is only you to talk me out of my precarious position!!! :help:

Peace
dids

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you up for it????

I believe in the "security of the believer." I use that terminology because I am uncomfortable with the phrase "once saved always saved." I suppose those holding the contrary view are equally unhappy about the phrase TLLF: "Twice lost, lost forever." :o

So... convince me. Imagine me dangling on the edge and there is only you to talk me out of my precarious position!!! :help:

Peace
dids
I believe I am 100% secure,,because I am standing in grace,the finished work..

not trusting in me,or my will power,but HIM!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know how lost the lost are?
They are hopelessly lost. There is nothing they can do in themselves to change their prediciment. They cannot save themselves. They cannot NOT sin. Even the "good" things they do are "filthy rags" before God. The Psalmist said that there are none that even want to seek God.
Jerimiah said that their sinfulness was incurable. NO CURE!
That is what I call LOST!!!!
They are lost to the uttermost.

Romans 5

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
20Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: 21That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Paul is saying we are MUCH MORE SAVED than the unsaved are Lost!
The unsaved are HOPELESSLY and utterly LOST.
We are MUCH MORE saved than they are LOST!!!!

If it is impossible for a lost one to be saved...
Then how will one be lost who has come to life???

peace
Dids

Reactions: NewSong
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Amen!
Who has the power and the strength to undo the finished work of Christ on the cross and the word of the Father in raising us up into new life together with Him?
Who has the power to perform the miracle that would be required to change you back from a born again child of God to a sinner? Mere sinning does not do this. Would a sin defeat Christ and His work?

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Living EVERYDAY for God !!!
Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Are you up for it????

Peace
dids

Are the only two views allowed to be discussed here OSAS and TLLF?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A child has its father's DNA. As children of God we have our father's DNA in us.

If a child does not want to be a child of its father anymore, so what? Will that child now have the DNA of a squirrel? Or will the child still have its father's DNA un until the time he runs home to his father?

Eternal security

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said we must be born again.
So, we believe in our heart and confess with our lips just like Romans tells us.

Since we were sincere, really believed and confessed the process was began and completed and we are born again.

We have a re-created spirit.

How do you reverse that process?

How can the spirit now be reverted back to its original state?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Haven’t you and I been here before, Dids? ;)

Anyhow, here goes …

I too believe in the security of the believer and, like anyone who is saved from shark invested waters, I can remain secure as long as I want to. But, if I choose, I can go back into shark infested waters, so much for my security. I am secure so long as I want to be..

It is not a matter of “losing” my salvation, like I lose my car keys or something, nor is it a matter of “sinning away my day of salvation,” because my sin has been atoned for.

But I have been given freewill, the ability to choose my eternal destiny. Freewill is what sets humans above all the rest of God’s creation and is the most marvelous gift God could have given us. And that freewill, that ability to choose my eternal destiny, remains intact after I am saved. I never lose my freewill. Should I decide, after I have become a Christian, to no longer believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, God will not save me against my freewill. Paul said, Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you become reprobates (i.e., disqualified)? (2 Cor. 13.5-6). I can,if I so choose, “become reprobate concerning the faith” ( 2 Tim. 3.8).

Life has proven this over and over. I mention two classic examples, two well known men, who did just that: Charles Templeton, founder of Youth for Christ International, who became a leading Canadian agnostic (see here) and one of today’s leading agnostics, Bart Ehrman, who once studied for ministry at Wheaton College (see here). Both of these men chose to renounce their faith while at Princeton Theological Seminary. They made a choice to no longer believe, opting, I suppose, for a god of intellectualism over the God of Christ.

Anyhow, that’s where I stand on this issue. We are saved so long as we want to be.

~Jim

You can do a wrong thing long enough that it looks right.

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only God knows how long eternity really is. We truly can't comprehend it.
I've witnessed too many death bed conversions that showed me God isn't willing that ANY should perish.
Having been raised Baptist I grew up OSAS.
I really hate the sloppy agape attitude towards salvation though.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen!
Who has the power and the strength to undo the finished work of Christ on the cross

I do not buy into the unbiblical slogan “the finished work of Christ” because, IMO, Christ’s work will not be finished until He delivers the kingdom up to the Father (1 Cor. 15.24).

~Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A child has its father's DNA. As children of God we have our father's DNA in us.

God has DNA? :confused: Anyhow, aren't we adopted children?

~Jim

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,832.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Well... Yes I suppose you are right.. people do need my point of view very badly! :D (j/k)

Anyway, It depends on how you define eternal security. We are not insecure in the sense that God's promises are unsure, or that there is something out there which might overcome God.

However, that in no way means that it is impossible for a person to "lose" salvation through abandoning faith and allegience to Christ.

So, as long as you persist in faith, you are eternally secure.

From my point of view, its abundantly clear in scripture that it is possible for people to make a real start of faith, and then to turn back and abandon it.

Parables such as the parable of the sower are good examples of this. Then there are the numerous passages through out the new testament that warn believers to be watchful, and to be careful, lest they fall away, and the words which fortell that many shall indeed fall away "first there shall come a great apostasy" "in the last days many shall depart from the faith" etc.

Many people won't like this, because it is different than the traditional protestant view of how salvation works, but I am convinced that our western protestant understanding of salvation is not entirely correct. It is incomplete and leaves some things out. It also makes some assumptions that I think are false.

The most basic assumption that I don't agree with is that the "conversion" experience and the "born again" experience are the same thing. I don't think they are, and I don't think that the bible teaches that they are.

Biblically, being born again is linked to baptism, not to "making a decision". One of the most important things about this is that biblically being born again is a completely sovereign act of God's mercy and it is not contingent upon the person.

However, it is also abundantly clear in scripture that God requires obedience, and he requires transformation of the person. This is accomplished by the power and work of the Holy Spirit, but it absolutely and necessarily involves the will of the person.

One common way of phrasing this transformation is "conversion" or sometimes "heart conversion".

When a person is born again, they are made part of the covenant. Part of the Kingdom of God. However, I am convinced that scripture clearly teaches that those who are part of the covenant, and part of the Kingdom, must still undergo the conversion experience, which may begin with a momentary experience, but is fundamentally an ongoing process of transformation.

So, when a person is born again, God gives them a new spirit, which enables them to be transformed and to become united with Christ. At that point they are really in the covenant, and in the kingdom. However, their final judgement will ultimately be based upon wether or not, they truly followed the conversion experience, the process of conversion.

This is why in a some of the parables Jesus makes the clear statement that some who are part of the Kingdom, will be cast into outer darkness.

You see the gift God gives us in being born again is completely unconditional. Yet, final judgement is based upon if that gift bore fruit in your life.

Final judgement is not based on whether or not the seed was planted.. it is based on whether or not the plant bore fruit.

This is why in the parable of the sower, some of the seeds are planted, and they begin to grow.. but then they fail to produce fruit and they die.

This, also, is not about works. I am not remotely saying that if you do enough good deeds, then you will be approved. Rather it is about who and what you become. If you become loving, it is not a work that you did. If you become patient, it is not a work that you did. It is a work of the Spirit, that you allowed God to bring to fruition through your spirit.

You can, however, choose to cooperate with God's work in you, or to oppose it.

Ultimately its about life. When we are born again, we are given the means to partake and to participate in the life of God. However, God does not force us to do so.
in many charismatic circles you hear all sorts of talk about the promises we have in God, who we are in God, etc... yet it is often fairly rare to see those things actually realized in many Christian's lives.. why, if they are promised?
Because people do not avail themselves of the life that God has made available to them through being born again. Our spirit is not what naturally drives out being. We are in this life, natural, or "soulish" creatures. In other words it is our soul that drives us. The soul is the mind, the emotions, and it controls the body.
The life of God is made available through our spirit, but our soul does not naturally partake of it.

this is why Paul talked about the war within himself. It is the war between the spirit and the soul, the godly, and the natural, for control.

You only realize the life that God has given you, you only partake of it, when you submit yourself to the spirit that God has given you and you live by the spirit.

It is only then that you can actually begin to realize all the spiritual promises that God has made for us.

thus it is entirely possible for someone to be born again, and yet never really partake of the abundant life, never walk by the spirit, and never really be converted.

It is also very possible for someone to start on that path and begin to experience those things, and then turn back.

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Living EVERYDAY for God !!!
Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

If a child does not want to be a child of its father anymore, so what? Will that child now have the DNA of a squirrel? Or will the child still have its father's DNA un until the time he runs home to his father?

Eternal security

I agree with Jim on this - we are adopted no DNA involved.........and on another note you are assuming that all run home to father - some leave home NEVER to return or even call on fathers day.

Upvote 0

Trish 1947

Sep 3, 2004
California
✟157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I guess from my perspective..a former Baptist, I was given enough security in what was taught that God would not abandon us, ever. Or I can look at it like this..God is so good, that if we want to be abandoned by God, so we can go to hell, He'll let us? Will God fight for us if we really don't want Him? I don't know..He would be the best phyciatrist ever in why anybody claiming to be in their right mind at the time, why they felt that way.

By the way...why am I considered a "newbie?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe that we can lose our salvation, however, some are most likely were NOT saved in the first place.

My security is this: Only the Holy Spirit can prick a person's heart to cause a person to hear Christ's voice. Jesus said in John 10:14-15 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

Christ through His death and resurrection, every legal hindrance has been met and satisfied. There is nothing that can keep me from the promise. we must remember the true meaning of salvation and God's promise of eternal security.

Parable of the Sower
There are 4 Parables of the Sower.

Three parables of people who made a profession of faith but then fell away and only the last parable Jesus gave is of real saving faith:

Matthew 13
The Parable of the Sower
1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore.

3Then He (Jesus) told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed.

4As he was scattering the seed,

some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. (If a farmer threw the seed and some of it went beyond the furrow only to land on that hard surface, it would never grow. It could not penetrate the ground. This illustrate that people will hear the gospel and think nothing of it).

5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. (The rocky ground in this parable represents the people who will reject the gospel. Also Luke explains that the seed that landed upon the stony soil "lacked moisture" (Luke 8:6). There wasn't any root to capture the moisture. This means people who will initially receive the gospel, but thorns or the sun will cause them to fall away.)

7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. (After the seeds are sown and they begin to germinate, weeds also begin to grow from the fibrous weed roots hidden in the ground. The weeds then choke the life out of the grain.)

8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear." (Some people will initially receive the gospel, and ultimately bring forth fruit.)

The parable shows how people will respond to the gospel of God's GRACE. All the soils are basically the same--the only difference is whether the
1. dirt is hard,
2. has rock underneath it,
3. has weeds in it, or
4. is good. The issue is not the soil; rather, it is the condition of the soil.

That means that all people could receive the seed. All soil could receive the seed if it was broken up and cleaned of weeds. So, the key to the parable is that the response a person has to the gospel depends upon the condition of that person's heart (only if they really understood what GRACE really means).

Jesus explains further:
18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

The condition of the heart determines how receptive a person is to the gospel. John 4:36 Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Our hearts are like a garden and must be kept free from weeds and insects. To expect the fruits and flowers bloom in an untended heart is to misunderstand completely the processes of Grace and God's will. 2 Timothy 3:10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance.

I don't believe that we can lose our salvation, however, some are most likely were NOT saved in the first place.

My security is this: Only the Holy Spirit can prick a person's heart to cause a person to hear Christ's voice. Jesus said in John 10:14-15 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

Christ through His death and resurrection, every legal hindrance has been met and satisfied. There is nothing that can keep me from the promise. we must remember the true meaning of salvation and God's promise of eternal security.

Parable of the Sower
There are 4 Parables of the Sower.

Three parables of people who made a profession of faith but then fell away and only the last parable Jesus gave is of real saving faith:

Matthew 13
The Parable of the Sower
1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore.

3Then He (Jesus) told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed.

4As he was scattering the seed,

some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. (If a farmer threw the seed and some of it went beyond the furrow only to land on that hard surface, it would never grow. It could not penetrate the ground. This illustrate that people will hear the gospel and think nothing of it).

5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. (The rocky ground in this parable represents the people who will reject the gospel. Also Luke explains that the seed that landed upon the stony soil "lacked moisture" (Luke 8:6). There wasn't any root to capture the moisture. This means people who will initially receive the gospel, but thorns or the sun will cause them to fall away.)

7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. (After the seeds are sown and they begin to germinate, weeds also begin to grow from the fibrous weed roots hidden in the ground. The weeds then choke the life out of the grain.)

8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9He who has ears, let him hear." (Some people will initially receive the gospel, and ultimately bring forth fruit.)

The Holy Spirit seals our salvation. 2 Corinthians 3:6 "He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

Corinthians 1:22 "Set His seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."

Ephesians 1:13 "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit."

Ephesians 4:30 "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

2 Timothy 2:19 "Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his, " and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8:33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect [when it is] God Who justifies [that is, Who puts us in right relation to Himself? Who shall come forward and accuse or impeach those whom God has chosen? Will God, Who acquits us?]
Romans 8:34 Who is there to condemn [us]? Will Christ Jesus (the Messiah), Who died, or rather Who was raised from the dead, Who is at the right hand of God actually pleading as He intercedes for us?
Romans 8:35 Who shall ever separate us from Christ's love? Shall suffering and affliction and tribulation? Or calamity and distress? Or persecution or hunger or destitution or peril or sword?
Romans 8:36 Even as it is written, For Thy sake we are put to death all the day long; we are regarded and counted as sheep for the slaughter. [Ps. 44:22.]
Romans 8:37 Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Him Who loved us.
Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor things impending and threatening nor things to come, nor powers,
Romans 8:39 Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

:idea:

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not buy into the unbiblical slogan “the finished work of Christ” because, IMO, Christ’s work will not be finished until He delivers the kingdom up to the Father (1 Cor. 15.24).

~Jim

the finished work of atonement..
thats in us:clap: thats the cross,where Jesus said it is finished.:clap:

thats why he sees us holy and blameless till the day of redemption!

Upvote 0

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised at the altar! I think I was constantly trying to get saved over and over again because of the wretched person I knew myself to be. I knew my thoughts and I knew my weaknesses. I constantly was at the altar because I was raised believing that I could indeed lose my salvation.

However, having sometime to investigate things and the older I get, I tend to find that there are two extremes and one is that we never can lose our salvation no matter how much we push away with God and the other extreme is that we can lose him if we fail to push a thought of our head.

I got confused holiness with salvation. I don't know if anyone else has done that but what I wanted so desperately was a pure and undefiled walk with God and that doesn't exist yet. It was a walk of Holiness! It had nothing to do with my salvation but then there was the extreme where I burned out thinking I was never going to make it to heaven and along came a Calvanist teaching somewhere that introduced me to God's love, which I do not understand but I know that the teaching was good and there should be a medium between the two extremes of me having the "sloppy agape" and the your not saved because of your lack of "holiness."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.