churl

Feb 9, 2005
Minnesota
✟8,343.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question to ask... it is ok to eat Frog's Leg's as a lenten meal? I was a restaurant in my area that was advertising a lenten special - Frog's Leg's. I asked a nun at my daughters school, and she said that it was considered ok. Her reasoning was that I frog is an amphibian. I don't feel confortable with this reasoning. I would love to hear any comments.

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Frogs are not meat.

http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/abfast.php

Abstinence The law of abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Also forbidden are soups or gravies made from them. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal derived products such as margarine and gelatin which do not have any meat taste.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. What good is it doing to give up eating meat, if you are just going to run around trying to find substitutes? Just eat something that doesn't have meat. Simple. :) If you have to ponder for more than three seconds on whether something is 'really' meat or not, then skip it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
tjboie2001 said:
How about eating Chocolate coverd ants then instead of frog legs. Or you could do this chocolate covered frog legs lol.

Ants are not meat. :)

That still doesn't mean I'd eat them, on Friday or any other time.

Upvote 0
S

St_Joseph_Cupertino

I have a question:

Paul S said:

The rest of the paragraph reads:

On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. They must do some penitential/charitable practice on these Fridays. For most people the easiest practice to consistently fulfill will be the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year. During Lent abstinence from meat on Fridays is obligatory in the United States as elsewhere.

So, do you guys practice this during the rest of the year, or waht do you give up the rest of the year's Fridays?

Peace in Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NDIrish said:
I am amazed at what some people eat...Can you imagine being the first person to crack open an egg, and go "mmmm...breakfast!" :scratch:

Here's one for you. My all time favorite sandwhich is a Mexican sandwhich called a torta (the bread is shaped like a turtle). Anyway, I usually order torta de lengua which is a cow tongue sandwhich. It rocks.

We have a large hispanic population in the area so there are taquerias all over the place. I'm addicted to tortas....

Upvote 0

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ShannonMcMorland said:
I do abstain on all Fridays- unless someone is making dinner for us (namely my mother in law) who doesn't abstain. Then I eat meat AS a penance....(her cooking in general is pretty penitential, anyway!;))

Now that cracked me up....my mother in law is a great cook....my mom on the other hand is engaged to Chef Boyardi.

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
WOW...that is downright nasty (no offense)! I wish there were a vomit smiley face I could use...

My wife always tries to get me to eat mushrooms...I keep telling her that I refuse to eat any form of fungus.

jukesk9 said:
Here's one for you. My all time favorite sandwhich is a Mexican sandwhich called a torta (the bread is shaped like a turtle). Anyway, I usually order torta de lengua which is a cow tongue sandwhich. It rocks.

We have a large hispanic population in the area so there are taquerias all over the place. I'm addicted to tortas....

Upvote 0

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jukesk9 said:

Gee, I feel so inadequate eating only rabbit and goat on occasion.:sigh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.