Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Didn't see a thread about it, so I was wondering what people thought? Seems like Macron is trying his best to re-inact the French Revolution .

Les Miserables comes to mind.

Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't see a thread about it, so I was wondering what people thought? Seems like Macron is trying his best to re-inact the French Revolution .

Macron is looking like the representative of a metropolitan elite who do not use cars to go from very expensive city centre apartments to work. He contrasts quite strongly with countryside people for whom a car is a necessity. He seems to have both the far right and left fighting together on the streets against him. Not that the French have ever really needed an excuse to throw stones at bourbons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Macron is looking like the representative of a metropolitan elite who do not use cars to go from very expensive city centre apartments to work. He contrasts quite strongly with countryside people for whom a car is a necessity. He seems to have both the far right and left fighting together on the streets against him. Not that the French have ever really needed an excuse to throw stones at bourbons.

Politicians/their ilk do drive just not themselves. They are chauffeur driven, fly long-haul flights for vacations and generally buy more unneeded items.

Macron worked in an investment bank and while I also worked for an investment bank. I know the culture in these places one of the reasons I left. I was not a bad person but I was not a good person at this time in my life.

He does not have children/his wife are a red flag for me. I do not think the genuinely believe in man made climate change etc. It’s just a stick to beat the plebs with.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As well as beating protesters, the French police have been intimidating journalists.

If you want to see the brutal and shocking reality, search YouTube for 'Video shows Police intimidating journalist during Yellow Vest protest'

• Agree
Reactions: BWV 565
Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As well as beating protesters, the French police have been intimidating journalists.

If you want to see the brutal and shocking reality, search YouTube for 'Video shows Police intimidating journalist during Yellow Vest protest'

It really is disgrace one of my friends was arrested at the start of all this for wearing the a high-viz vest. She was taking her baby to the GPs and it was still dark (winter morning).

Friends of hers have lost teeth, had bones broken etc and it was a peaceful protest. They are paying police to dress as civilian and start trouble apparently.

If this was happening in any other country rather than France or Germany EU would impose sanctions. They already tried to do it over the “nazi rally” in Poland even though it was Polish people with polish flags on their independence day.

• Agree
Reactions: JustSomeBloke
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really is disgrace one of my friends was arrested at the start of all this for wearing the a high-viz vest. She was taking her baby to the GPs and it was still dark (winter morning).

Friends of hers have lost teeth, had bones broken etc and it was a peaceful protest. They are paying police to dress as civilian and start trouble apparently.

If this was happening in any other country rather than France or Germany EU would impose sanctions. They already tried to do it over the “nazi rally” in Poland even though it was Polish people with polish flags on their independence day.

After the G20 protests in Hamburg I have a lot of sympathy for the police in these situations. The people have a right to protest but often take it too far. There is always a crazy hard core in these protests with delusional semi Marxist visions of revolutions. Policeman get injured policing their protests. But I am sure there have been mistakes. There is no evidence of actually goading the crowds though

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
After the G20 protests in Hamburg I have a lot of sympathy for the police in these situations. The people have a right to protest but often take it too far. There is always a crazy hard core in these protests with delusional semi Marxist visions of revolutions. Policeman get injured policing their protests. But I am sure there have been mistakes. There is no evidence of actually goading the crowds though

I have absolute no sympathy what so ever for those who
week after week (23 weeks) vandalize property,

setting fire to cars, motorcycles, kiosks, smashing shop windows. bus shelters, tearing down traffic lights, tearing up
stones from roads to throw at police.

If they had anything between their ears they would understand that it is not the way to go.

The costs must be enormous.

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Les Miserables comes to mind.

300 students roleplaying as revolutionaries plus a couple of thousand half-starved urban poor against 30,000 troops? Can't see how that was going to turn out any way than it did, even before the army brought in cannon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums