Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
can you back out or is you original install ruined?
W10 creates a windows.old directory so you can revert for 30 days. But you're relying on MS with your data and your install. You should also back up user data separately, and also take a disk image that you can restore on your own, before upgrading. Many drivers will update on their own. But some of the drivers could be lost. And some may be incompatible with W10 and irreplaceable.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not touch windows 10 if it paid me too. It crashes my desktops. I use Windows 7 Professional and have not had any issues. Plus I am tech literate and know what I am doing and what to do if an issue arises. Windows 10 is too bloated. Just my opinion here of course.

PS- I know I have stated in previous posts I use windows 10. That was a typo.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last night I installed W10 on my older laptop. Haven't used a Microsoft OS in a long time, I need to learn new things.

Over the years I skipped Vista and W7 while using Linux instead. I won't use any EOL version of an OS because of all the malware and hacks.

I Download latest copy from Microsoft, so not much excess bloatware. The image is still large though LOL - Installed from flash drive.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
On my main pc now I just upgraded to Windows 8.1. Thats as high as I am going. No more than that....

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a new old computer, i bought from my school. then one i had in my room. It runs i believe office vista.

But as long as this computer is working i will us it, like i said i am not a big user of a computer. As long as i can order from amazon, and a few of my art supply places i am ok.
You actually aren't. Windows XP hasn't received security patches in years. It also does not support TLS 1.2, which is that absolute minimum version of TLS that you should be using for SSL connections to Amazon and anywhere else you spend money. Weaker versions of TLS (or even worse, SSL 3.0 or lower) are not strong enough to protect the passwords and payment information that you send over the Internet anymore, and I am frankly surprised that Amazon still supports TLS 1.0 and 1.1. Furthermore, you also need up-to-date browsers to not only secure your connections to Amazon, but to also be protected from hackers. The way you have described this computer and the way you use it, hackers can either break the encryption between your computer and Amazon when you make a purchase, or put an exploit in your browser to get to your payment information before you even send it to Amazon, they don't even need to break the encryption if they can get to it before the browser encrypts it.

This computer needs a modern operating system that is still getting security patches, along with up-to-date browsers, at minimum. Either that, or unplug it from the Internet, and never use it to do anything on the Internet ever again. This is to protect your passwords, accounts, and financial information. Also, hackers take computers like these over when their owners aren't paying attention, and use them to hack other computers as part of a botnet. Insecure computers are a danger to their owners, and to anyone else on the Internet.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I have pirated/false/not activated Windows 10, can I use this method to get genuine Windows 10?
It seems to me that link says whether you need the license number.. It's been a long time since I was there can you go back and read it or someone will probably answer. It's hard from a cell to navigate to that link. Even if it does you can always back out.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If I have pirated/false/not activated Windows 10, can I use this method to get genuine Windows 10?

Yes you can. You just need to use your microsoft ID and click on I do not have a product key.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
D_Taylor posted about not upgrading his Windows XP computer, and a few folks suggested that this is dangerous.

Many tech sites say the same thing, but about 25 million computers are currently running XP. The problem? People who are intelligent enough to learn the XP codes are intelligent enough not to waste time learning the XP codes. Therefore, new XP malware is rarely written, and the latest XP anti-virus programs can usually catch them

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
D_Taylor posted about not upgrading his Windows XP computer, and a few folks suggested that this is dangerous.

Many tech sites say the same thing, but about 25 million computers are currently running XP. The problem? People who are intelligent enough to learn the XP codes are intelligent enough not to waste time learning the XP codes. Therefore, new XP malware is rarely written, and the latest XP anti-virus programs can usually catch them
I honestly wonder how many of them are part of botnets that I have had to block.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I for one will never use Windows11 once it comes out. It looks horrible, and the upgrade requires activation of the TPM and secureboot. No thank you.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes you can. You just need to use your microsoft ID and click on I do not have a product key.
This really confuses me. I had a legal 7. Used it on a computer, computer failed and tried it on another computer and windows came down on me. Gave them an explanation and again the computer failed. I know the windows will go after me again when I try to use it. So they are quite the Microsoft police. I am confused as to how you are passing so easily when it comes to the product key. I have always needed it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This really confuses me. I had a legal 7. Used it on a computer, computer failed and tried it on another computer and windows came down on me. Gave them an explanation and again the computer failed. I know the windows will go after me again when I try to use it. So they are quite the Microsoft police. I am confused as to how you are passing so easily when it comes to the product key. I have always needed it.
As little as I want to pay Microsoft, I am suspicious of discount upgrade "offers". When I see ads for getting stuff for ridiculous discounts and hover over the links, I see URLs that are consistent with those of hacked sites that I have to clean up. Since you had a recent malware nightmare experience, you might want to steer clear of anything like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you want a Microsoft ID.
You can also choose to install windows 10 with a local account, therefore not even needing a microsoft ID.

Upvote 0