✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
i am still using windows xp have moved up to windows yet

Microsoft stopped issuing upgrades for XP back in 2014. While there are still a number of dedicated users (possibly 1.6% of users worldwide) the risk of your XP falling over and problems with incompatibility with more modern software increase daily.

OB

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Microsoft stopped issuing upgrades for XP back in 2014. While there are still a number of dedicated users (possibly 1.6% of users worldwide) the risk of your XP falling over and problems with incompatibility with more modern software increase daily.

OB

I have seen that on a few sites/areas, but i am not a big computer user so right now i am fine.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have seen that on a few sites/areas, but i am not a big computer user so right now i am fine.

If you've been using XP for that long, it's possible that your computer may be old enough that it wouldn't be able to run Win10.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

If your PC is as old as your operating system, its unlikely it could be upgraded to Windows 10.

It may be time to consider a new PC. :)

OB

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They stopped offering windows 10 for free a few years ago. I had missed the boat, then got another pc. For the new pc I did find a perfectly legit copy for $12. Beats the $80 to $100 I was paying for the OEM versions that were considered cheap.

Glad they are giving it away again, and hope I can get it for my old win 7 machine.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian

If your computer is connected to the Internet you need to get rid of XP as soon as possible. It's leaving you open to viruses and other nasty things.

They stopped offering windows 10 for free a few years ago. I had missed the boat, then got another pc. For the new pc I did find a perfectly legit copy for $12. Beats the $80 to $100 I was paying for the OEM versions that were considered cheap.

Glad they are giving it away again, and hope I can get it for my old win 7 machine.

It never actually stopped. They just said it did.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If your computer is connected to the Internet you need to get rid of XP as soon as possible. It's leaving you open to viruses and other nasty things.

I knew it went on for a time after is was supposed to have stopped, but when I went to MS to try to get a copy, there was no way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I knew it went on for a time after is was supposed to have stopped, but when I went to MS to try to get a copy, there was no way.

Haven't tried a direct upgrade (but I don't see why not), but I can confirm fresh installs have been accepting keys consistently over the past few years. Whether or not they changed anything in the past few months, I haven't tried, but I've been shoving 7/8 keys into activation prompts sporadically since Windows 10 came out (as recently as last year) and it's activated every time.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you've been using XP for that long, it's possible that your computer may be old enough that it wouldn't be able to run Win10.

I have a new old computer, i bought from my school. then one i had in my room. It runs i believe office vista.

But as long as this computer is working i will us it, like i said i am not a big user of a computer. As long as i can order from amazon, and a few of my art supply places i am ok.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

well i am connected to the internet but so far no problems

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟839,659.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Windows 10 has built in protection. I also have malwarebytes antimalware. I upgraded because my laptop had been compromised by malware. There are some pros to Windows 10. It is similar to Windows 7, and nothing like Windows 8.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There were a few after xp. More recent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've been doing free Win10 upgrades - not fresh installs - for years. As @Wookiee said, they said they stopped offering it (to placate the OEMs, I believe, because free upgrades were killing the new PC market), but never really did. They just moved the download location off the MS domain. But the validations still sailed through.

W10 is a nice piece of eye candy, but I recommend Linux unless you need to run proprietary Windows software. Most people live in their browsers, though, and LibreOffice is a good substitute for MS Office for most purposes. And Linux will handle older hardware better than Windows.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've been doing free Win10 upgrades - not fresh installs - for years. As @Wookiee said, they said they stopped offering it (to placate the OEMs, I believe, because free upgrades were killing the new PC market), but never really did. They just moved the download location off the MS domain. But the validations still sailed through.

W10 is a nice piece of eye candy, but I recommend Linux unless you need to run proprietary Windows software. Most people live in their browsers, though, and LibreOffice is a good substitute for MS Office for most purposes. And Linux will handle older hardware better than Windows.
do you have any recommendations for a browser. I really dislike firefox, It has become huge, over two gigs.
Most other browsers aren't compatible with everything else that I have found.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
do you have any recommendations for a browser. I
I use Vivaldi, Slimjet, and Brave, in that order. IMO, Vivaldi is by far the best browser - good support forum too. It runs on Linux, MacOs, and Windows, and on Android.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
he problem is what if you have problems can you back out or is you original install ruined?
I ttied this update before and I think it said it wasn't possible but I don't remember for sure.
With an upgrade does it maintain the drivers you have already and need?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven't tried a direct upgrade (but I don't see why not), but I can confirm fresh installs have been accepting keys consistently over the past few years. Whether or not they changed anything in the past few months, I haven't tried, but I've been shoving 7/8 keys into activation prompts sporadically since Windows 10 came out (as recently as last year) and it's activated every time.

Been awhile ago, but now I seem to recall, I could download it, but it kept erroring out before the install with some error that, of course, told me absolutely nothing.

I remeber the days when we could simply copy the hard drive with a windows install on it for a back up, and it would work, then they began locking it down tight.

Its time I gave linux another look see.

Upvote 0