Former AR Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson announces White House bid, ends it, won't endorse Trump

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“I’m convinced that people want leaders that appeal to the best of America, and not simply appeal to our worst instincts,” Hutchinson, 72, said in an interview on ABC New that aired Sunday, noting that a formal announcement would come later this month in his hometown of Bentonville, Arkansas.

The GOP primary field is still in its early stages. Trump announced a third presidential campaign last year, while Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and US ambassador to the United Nations, became the first major rival to challenge him when she announced her bid in February. A number of other Republicans, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former Vice President Mike Pence, have been making moves suggesting they are considering presidential bids.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually like Asa. But he seems far too mature and level-headed for republicans to elect presently. Trump has led the coalition astray. Their party is far from the party of "personal responsibility" today. Personal responsibility entails being honest with constituents.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“I’m convinced that people want leaders that appeal to the best of America, and not simply appeal to our worst instincts,” Hutchinson, 72, said in an interview on ABC New that aired Sunday, noting that a formal announcement would come later this month in his hometown of Bentonville, Arkansas.

The GOP primary field is still in its early stages. Trump announced a third presidential campaign last year, while Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and US ambassador to the United Nations, became the first major rival to challenge him when she announced her bid in February. A number of other Republicans, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former Vice President Mike Pence, have been making moves suggesting they are considering presidential bids.
What is "the best of America"? For me, it's a less intrusive, and more constitutional federal government. Calvin Coolidge said the best thing about his administration was that they "minded their own business " . I could support a president like that.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He was just chair of the governors association, a stepping stone for Bill Clinton and others.

He was my state's governor, where every two years he had to deal with "the worst and the dumbest--" Arkansas' 80% Republican state legislators. They were so incompetent and malevolent they would make any leader who kept them in line appear wise and moderate. They made Asa look great by comparison.

In November, alas, these legislative lunkheads got one of their own--Huckabee Sanders.

Only the courts can save us now, and the lawsuits are pending.

TBT, I'd rather see Republicans nominate a barn burning flame thrower than someone who could attract independents.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Former Arkansas Gov. Hutchinson to formally announce his 2024 presidential campaign

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson will formally kick off his presidential campaign on Wednesday with a speech in Bentonville, Arkansas, seeking to distinguish himself from the GOP field with his long career in government and “commonsense conservatism.”

Previewing his speech, Hutchinson told “CNN This Morning” he plans to address the economy, crime, and border security – the “significant issues” that fit with his public service record. But the former governor, who’s working to build national name recognition, said he will also highlight his personal story of growing up on a farm in a small town.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hutchinson was our governor for eight years. He was light-years better than our current governor, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. He took the pandemic seriously! He had daily briefings featuring the state surgeon general. He regularly vetoed legislation that was passed in both legislative Houses (by a bunch of far right legislators who didn't really know what they were doing.) Most of what he vetoed were bills he believed were unconstitutional. He distanced hinself from Trump (as every Republican should) relatively early on.

He has an affable personality and has a strong media presence as the former president of the governors' association.

He also has a bad-boy son, who is facing charges of possessing a controlled substance--cocaine, driving while intoxicated, and refusing to submit to a sobriety test. His law license was suspended. He has faced previous drunk driving charges.

William Hutchinson is the candidate's Hunter Biden, I guess.

As Republicans go, he's better than most, and way better than the Republicans in this state.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist