up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Was He referring to how society would develop due to His Story?
How often do we see people treated as Jesus treated the woman who was about to be stoned and her accusers? It never even reached the 'courts'. We need more of that IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hard to say. There are some individuals who would benefit from a second chance. Others just take advantage of any leeway they are given. Forgiveness is generally a good thing. But there are countless people growing up who have never had any consequences for wrongdoing. Why would they change their behaviour as adults if they've not known discipline as a child? Even the worldly psychologists are beginning to wake up to this obvious fact.
Agreed. yet in today's world in spite of all it's experts extenuating circumstances are rarely considered anymore. The judicial system is more like a drive through. We don't care. Just chose whatever we offer on the menu as a punishment and move on so the courts don't get any more cluttered. they are trying to simplify an overloaded system without considering circumstance. An overload which shows society is broken but no one wants to face that fact.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
True, but often the outcome often doesn't stop with the punishment.

There once was a Jew who sat in a wheelchair in New York somewhere, well, he passed on.

At his funeral there was a Afro American, (not sure how to say it, dont like saying blackman because there are no blackmen.)

In any case, the other funeral attendees were curious
why he was at the funeral, so one of them asked if he knew the fellow that had passed on.

So he told them,
It was some years ago I broke into his flat in the middle of the night, the guy was up sitting in his wheelchair.

I saw a nice taperecorder which I took and was about to leave when he called to me and said,
if you are going to take the recorder, best you take the lead and plug too.

I was baffled, and he started talking with me, asking
questions it got round to talking about work, I had none at the time.

So he offered me a job, I took it and worked my up to manager,

So you see I am here to pay my respects, he turned my life around.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
recidivism is extremely high for criminals, and many need to be kept in prison for the safety of themselves and society.

The people in prison are society. @comana said it well:

The pproblem with recidivism is that it is often the result of society not forgiving after punishment. The societal punishment continues after prison by not hiring, housing or generally accepting those with a criminal record back into society. It sets them up with little recourse but to go back to the criminal life to even survive.

Precisely. This is why California is making big reforms.

So I suppose my take is we as the people need to forgive and be permissive and loving, not so for the government. As a society, we must also be more accepting and forgiving, but the law needs to remain as well as punishment for breaking it with severity that matches the crime

Whatever happened to "We the people" being the government?

Only the victim owns the copyright to forgive the criminals who commited crimes against him.

Anyone who speaks on his behalf, without permission,
is no different than a common thief.

This would mean that the state is a common thief since the vast majority of cases in court is "The State of _______________Vs ______________."

Also jails are far too cushy.

You've been there?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God wishes for us to be tempered with forgiveness. Man is just tempered and seeks to punish as a rule. Would less damage be done, instead of destroying lives of those who make mistakes (as we all do), if punishment was incorporated with forgiveness by society rather than left to individuals?

Punishment is meant to be restorative. No punishment would equal no reason for a person to change. We might wish punishment weren't needed, but for sinful humans, I'm afraid it is.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The people in prison are society. @comana said it well:

Precisely. This is why California is making big reforms.

Whatever happened to "We the people" being the government?

This would mean that the state is a common thief since the vast majority of cases in court is "The State of _______________Vs ______________."

You've been there?

Well, seeing as we are in the ethics and morality section,
here is something from the Ethics of the Fathers. 2:3.

Be careful with the government,
for they befriend a person only for their own needs.

They appear to be friends when it is beneficial to them,
But they do not stand by a person at the time of his distress.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Punishment is meant to be restorative. No punishment would equal no reason for a person to change. We might wish punishment weren't needed, but for sinful humans, I'm afraid it is.
Punishment is part of the taking responsibility for one's actions. But at what point should that punishment stop? Should a person suffer in society for the rest of their lives even after paying the price dictated by a victim or the law? Perhaps it should be illegal to persecute/oppress a person in society once the punishment is served, as a counterbalance. Both sides need to understand the damage done in carrying on the accusation.

Look what is happening today in the Middle East. The cycle of revenge has just gone from normal to extreme. It shouldn't be there at all if either side was interested in anything more than themselves and constantly accusing others..

Upvote 0

eik

Dec 29, 2019
Hampshire
✟9,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
However, there is no denying that few in society have any interest in helping them post incarceration to get on a productive path. In fact they build barriers instead.
It isn't the case that rehabilitation schemes don't exist, at least in the UK. Ex-prisoners can even open their own bank accounts as soon as they come out, as there are schemes that allow this. No idea what happens in other countries. There is also plenty of opportunity for re-education in prison. However you can't really expect the average employer to employ someone who's just come out of prison in a well-paid position, where competition in the job market is rigorous. They have to compete for jobs along with everyone else. Also in the UK at least, they are still regarded as serving their sentences when they come out, as most are let out at the half way mark. Ex-prisoners have to start at the bottom, unless their skills are in demand, which they may well be, but it just isn't true that they don't have any opportunities. It's often that they don't take them.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟899,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It isn't the case that rehabilitation schemes don't exist, at least in the UK. Ex-prisoners can even open their own bank accounts as soon as they come out, as there are schemes that allow this. No idea what happens in other countries. There is also plenty of opportunity for re-education in prison. However you can't really expect the average employer to employ someone who's just come out of prison in a well-paid position, where competition in the job market is rigorous. They have to compete for jobs along with everyone else. Also in the UK at least, they are still regarded as serving their sentences when they come out, as most are let out at the half way mark. Ex-prisoners have to start at the bottom, unless their skills are in demand, which they may well be, but it just isn't true that they don't have any opportunities. It's often that they don't take them.
It must be different over there because what I've seen in the US is that ex prisoners have minimal job opportunities. If a conviction comes up on a background check, or is required to be listed on a job application, it is pretty much guaranteed that person won't be hired. When a parole does not maintain employment they are in violation and are sent back to jail. It's hard to get your life back together when you're considered damaged goods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They have to compete for jobs along with everyone else. Also in the UK at least, they are still regarded as serving their sentences when they come out, as most are let out at the half way mark. Ex-prisoners have to start at the bottom, unless their skills are in demand, which they may well be, but it just isn't true that they don't have any opportunities. It's often that they don't take them.

When a parole does not maintain employment they are in violation and are sent back to jail. It's hard to get your life back together when you're considered damaged goods.

There is truth to both comments. There is another option (and one that I am undertaking right now)--entrepreneurship.

Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If a conviction comes up on a background check, or is required to be listed on a job application, it is pretty much guaranteed that person won't be hired.
That could just as easily apply to being 'dismissed from a job with cause'. The results are often the same. Can a lesson be learned or does the lapse in judgment which may not even be unlawful, become a life sentence?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Unbelievers mostly obey the law out of fear. I'm talking about the law of the land, not God's law. People in the state where I live used to drive like lunatics. When I moved here, I was horrified and I'm a lead-foot. The death toll became unacceptable and law enforcement was drastically increased. Now people mostly do not speed and the death toll is much lower.

I don't know how I am supposed to forgive people who have not offended me. I don't know what you are getting at.

Is it also not possible people obey your god's laws out of fear? The motivation for obedience is a fair consideration, but the laws of your god are not demonstrable

I didn't say you should forgive people who haven't offended you

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Government's primary interest is justice, to punish evil and protect the innocent.
This is a request for enlightenment. I have no legal background, am primarily familiar with UK law as a citizen and have read only snippets of one or two Acts of Parliament. From that limited background, however, I do not recall any official recognition, via Act of Parliament, of evil. Wrongdoing, yes. Evil, no. Are you saying that US legislation regarding crimes formally recognises evil?

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How often do we see people treated as Jesus treated the woman who was about to be stoned and her accusers? It never even reached the 'courts'. We need more of that IMO.

Do you mean like judges giving out more lenient sentences, or ordering drug treatment or counseling instead of jail time, etc.?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that US legislation regarding crimes formally recognises evil?
No, I'm not claiming that. I can't say whether evil is mentioned per se in law. It may be, and most probably is in the thoughts of the Founders and legal scholars through our nation's life, but the nature of laws being very tightly worded, I would think that the specific crime would be called by name rather than referred to as an evil.

What I was referring to was a legal principle given in the Bible from the Christian perspective:

For the rulers are not a terror to good deeds, but to evil. Do you want to not be afraid of the authority? Do the good, and you will have praise from the same.
For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him doing evil. -Rom 13:3-4​

Though the government must deal with specifics, their task, according to Scripture, is in principle to oppose evil. Of course, these days just positing the existence of evil is enough to arouse opposition in some quarters.

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Though the government must deal with specifics, their task, according to Scripture, is in principle to oppose evil. Of course, these days just positing the existence of evil is enough to arouse opposition in some quarters.

So, whoever is opposing evil is the true authority?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you want to not be afraid of the authority? Do the good, and you will have praise from the same.

That’s a principle of cause and effect. But the greater principle relates to the mind transformed and the alterations that follow as of result of His inhabitation.

The greater your God infection the deeper your desire for holiness. And the more it increases the clearer the influences appear in your behavior and countenance. It's a domino effect. Praise is the result because others see and experience your goodness.

Matthew addresses this:

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
—Matthew 5:14-16

~Bella

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, whoever is opposing evil is the true authority?
This question has challenged the great thinkers, and they have come up with Just War Theory, the guidelines of which help determine when a valid moral right exists to go to war or to revolt against an unjust government. In this fallen world you can have those who are fighting evil, and who are not in power, with those in power being the ones perpetrating evil. This is an inversion of the will of God as stated in Rom 13. To some extent or another, it's quite common.

Upvote 0