Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone believe that god forgives sins after a person has passed away and meets him, learns about him and finally has the ability to understand why they need god?
Yes in fact I remember reading the testimony of ex atheist Ian McCormack who was stung 7 times by a jelly fish and as he was on his way to Hell, his mom was praying for him and Jesus appeared before him saying how he could not let the prayers of his mom go in vain because she had served him faithfully for many years, and had to honor the promises written in the word about how if there is a believer then their household will be saved. He offered Ian a choice to accept him, and so he not only chose to accept Jesus as his savior, but he also chose to come back and tell his mom how he came to know Jesus.

Reactions: Hikarifuru
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't think there is forgiveness for nonbelievers after death.

The Rich man was unable to repent after death.

Consider the following passage of scripture:

Luke 16
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
From John Macarthur; question posed to him regarding second chances:

I have heard that after death those who had not believed will be given a last chance. Is this so? Yeah, I...I wish I could say it was, because the hardest thing for me to believe is the concept of an eternal hell and that, once a person dies, that's it; but there is no other thing taught in Scripture than that. In Hebrews chapter 9 and verse 27, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the Judgment. Once to die, and after this the Judgment." There isn't anything in between. Death ends the possibility of salvation. That's why I said to somebody the other night as I was talking with them..."You know you need Christ?" "Yes." "You believe all these things?" "Yes." "Are you willing to commit your life to Christ?" "I can't do it." "You realize that if you died in that situation, you would be confirmed in that?" That's true.

Listen to John 8:21, very important passage, John 8:21. "Then said Jesus again unto them...He's having a little dialogue with the Pharisees...Jesus said to them, 'I go My way, and you shall seek Me...now, listen...and shall die in your sins...And what is the result?...Where I go...what?...you can't come." Once you die in your sins, the door is closed. "'Where I go, you cannot come.' Then the Jews said, 'Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go, you can't come?'" That's a despicable answer. You see, the Jews felt that the deepest pit, the blackest death belonged to people who killed themselves. Why? Because they saw man created in the image of God. To take your own life was a crime; and so they believed that the deepest pit was for those who killed themselves; and so when Jesus said, "You're gonna die in your sins, and where I go, you can't come." In mockery, they said, "Oh, You're gonna kill Yourself? You're gonna go to that lowest level of the pit where we won't ever come." And Jesus really got strong in verse 23. "He says, 'You are from the pit...you are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, you shall die in your sin; for if you believe not that I am He, you shall die in your sins; and where you won't go is above where I'm from.'" You see the point? There is no second chance. A man has his lifetime. A woman has her lifetime. That's it.
Bible questions & answers

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I really don't think there is forgiveness for nonbelievers after death.

The Rich man was unable to repent after death.

Consider the following passage of scripture:

Luke 16
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Well that person was already suffering in hell and I think a personal meeting with god himself after death would be much more convincing than people who merely claim to be prophets and that you aren't sure you can trust.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From John Macarthur; question posed to him regarding second chances:

I have heard that after death those who had not believed will be given a last chance. Is this so? Yeah, I...I wish I could say it was, because the hardest thing for me to believe is the concept of an eternal hell and that, once a person dies, that's it; but there is no other thing taught in Scripture than that. In Hebrews chapter 9 and verse 27, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the Judgment. Once to die, and after this the Judgment." There isn't anything in between. Death ends the possibility of salvation. That's why I said to somebody the other night as I was talking with them..."You know you need Christ?" "Yes." "You believe all these things?" "Yes." "Are you willing to commit your life to Christ?" "I can't do it." "You realize that if you died in that situation, you would be confirmed in that?" That's true.

Listen to John 8:21, very important passage, John 8:21. "Then said Jesus again unto them...He's having a little dialogue with the Pharisees...Jesus said to them, 'I go My way, and you shall seek Me...now, listen...and shall die in your sins...And what is the result?...Where I go...what?...you can't come." Once you die in your sins, the door is closed. "'Where I go, you cannot come.' Then the Jews said, 'Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go, you can't come?'" That's a despicable answer. You see, the Jews felt that the deepest pit, the blackest death belonged to people who killed themselves. Why? Because they saw man created in the image of God. To take your own life was a crime; and so they believed that the deepest pit was for those who killed themselves; and so when Jesus said, "You're gonna die in your sins, and where I go, you can't come." In mockery, they said, "Oh, You're gonna kill Yourself? You're gonna go to that lowest level of the pit where we won't ever come." And Jesus really got strong in verse 23. "He says, 'You are from the pit...you are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, you shall die in your sin; for if you believe not that I am He, you shall die in your sins; and where you won't go is above where I'm from.'" You see the point? There is no second chance. A man has his lifetime. A woman has her lifetime. That's it.
Bible questions & answers

Do you think that's very fair?

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well that person was already suffering in hell and I think a personal meeting with god himself after death would be much more convincing than people who merely claim to be prophets and that you aren't sure you can trust.

If the Rich man would have been able to repent after death he would have done so.

That option was not available to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The scripture says that after death is judgement.

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

right but i was wondering if anyone thought a moment of understanding and opportunity was in there too.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Also from John Macarthur, "what happens when you die":

Now what happens when you die? It's obvious what happens to your physical body. It stays here. We all know that. When somebody dies, we send the body to the mortuary or we take the body to the morgue or we put the body in some kind of crematorium and it's reduced to ashes, buried in the ground, whatever it is, we know the body stays here. The soul goes on into eternity because the soul is eternal. Once God creates a living soul, that soul lives forever. There's no such thing as anyone, believer or non-believer, righteous or unrighteous, going out of existence. All whom God has ever given life live forever. That is true of even angels. Fallen angels are doomed to an eternal Lake of Fire and holy angels are to enjoy the bliss of heaven forever. The wicked will live forever in hell and the righteous will live forever in heaven. But when a person dies, the body stays here and the body decays, dust to dust. The body is mortal, it is corruptible, and it decays. The soul then is the question. What happens to the soul of someone who dies? Well immediately that soul consciously goes into eternity in the condition that will never change. There's no remediation going on. There's no place where you can go and kind of make up for your sins. There's no place where you can go and people can sort of pray you out of that place into heaven. There is no limbo, there is no purgatory, there is no intermediate kind of environment in which you are sort of kept. There's no holding tank for God to give you another chance or maybe to make up His mind as to what He wants to do with you. I will show you from Revelation how clear it is that the way you die is the way you stay.

In the book of Revelation, turn toward the very end of Revelation, chapter 22 verse 11. "Let the one who does wrong still do wrong. The one who is filthy still be filthy. Let the one who is righteous still practice righteousness. Let the one who is holy still keep himself holy." The language in this verse is really saying, "Whatever you are when you die is what you're going to be forever. If you are filthy, you're going to be filthy forever. If you're righteous, you're going to be righteous forever." That's how it is. Nothing will ever change. This is a condition that is perpetuated forever.

In Revelation 14:13 it said, "I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Write, blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on that they may rest from their labors but their deeds follow with them.'" Whatever you are in life is exactly what follows you forever in eternity. So when a person dies, the body goes into decay, stays on the earth and the soul is released. And nothing will ever change. If a person dies as a non-believer, they will remain that way, filthy and wicked and unredeemed, forever. Those who die redeemed and righteous will remain that way forever. The death of the unsaved is horrific. It is described that way all throughout the Bible, not only in the New Testament but all throughout the Scripture. The death of the wicked is a tragedy because it is eternal, that is why the Bible says God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. Proverbs 11:7, "When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish and his hope will perish." That's it. There's nothing to look forward to, nothing to hope for, perpetual sin and wickedness without relief.
Full Article

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think that's very fair?

As @GQ Chris said, God is more than fair. He is gracious ... to the point of sacrificing His own son to give each of us the opportunity for salvation. We have our entire lives, however long or short they may be, to accept that gift.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't want to go by the testimony of some guy who had a near death experience.

Christianity is based upon God's word, and nothing in the word suggests such a thing. In fact, it states clearly otherwise (emphasis mine):

2 Cor. 6:2
For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

In other words, if you've still got breath in you, you can call upon the name of Jesus and be saved. Don't wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.

Belief, repentance, and the forgiveness of sins is all fundamental to becoming born again.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Uh, God is most certainly "fair." That fairness means He is perfectly just, and can give the recompense every person deserves for the way they've behaved in life.

But if you really understood that, you would not want what you deserve!

That why His grace is so wonderful. He extends the release from all the sins we've committed for belief. And this belief should mean we bear fruit and turn from wickedness, learn of His ways, and follow Him.

Upvote 0