MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not Orthodox (yet), nor Catholic. I was raised in a non-Christian household. I became a believer under a Protestant church. Over time, the love for the Protestant Church has worn off due to many reasons. So I did begin to look at other Churches. I did consider RCC, but there is just so much wrong with it, and I am sure the Protestant bias against Catholicism didn't help any.

The really leaves the Orthodox church for my consideration. It does have the history (though I am trying to see if there is any difference between the current Church and what was taught very early one, like a proto-Orthodox church.), its views aren't AS extreme as RCC on some things (though I do have some uncomfortable feelings with Mariology)

The Theotokos leads us to Christ, as the Icons of the Theotokos (the Directress) show her pointing to her son.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not Orthodox (yet), nor Catholic. I was raised in a non-Christian household. I became a believer under a Protestant church. Over time, the love for the Protestant Church has worn off due to many reasons. So I did begin to look at other Churches. I did consider RCC, but there is just so much wrong with it, and I am sure the Protestant bias against Catholicism didn't help any.

The really leaves the Orthodox church for my consideration. It does have the history (though I am trying to see if there is any difference between the current Church and what was taught very early one, like a proto-Orthodox church.), its views aren't AS extreme as RCC on some things (though I do have some uncomfortable feelings with Mariology)

If not for you being 25 and halfway across the country from us, I'd have guessed you to be a friend of mine that I just spoke with Sunday. What you just said fits his experience and current situation to a "T" (but he's pushing 60 and in Texas).

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, you might be right there, Joseph (from one Joseph to another). I don't hang out with teenagers or twenty-somethings much, so I don't know what they're up to. I wouldn't pretend to. I just know the 30's and up crowd in this area, and liberal they ain't! ^_^

Maybe in your generation, Joseph...^_^

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(though I do have some uncomfortable feelings with Mariology)

I wouldn't worry about that man. it's okay to be uncomfortable or confused concerning certain things, Mary typically being a big one coming from a Western tradition. God knows your heart, and He will illumine it accordingly

on a sidebar, there were certain things about Mary that I did not get when I first became Orthodox, my priest knew it, and it was all good.

Upvote 0

tigersgrowl1093

Looking Towards the East.
May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended the service today :)

It was really beautiful. There were 7 people there in total, including myself and the Priest.

I spoke with the Priest afterwards and he was very kind and said I can call anytime to ask questions and we can schedule a meeting sometime to talk further. The two woman I spoke with were also very welcoming.

Part of me is glad I went. The other part isn't, because now I'll have to do further research :p

I do plan to finish out my RCIA classes. They should be done in late Jan. or early Feb. I was wondering if it would be weird/wrong to do an Inquirer's class at the EO Church while still attending RCIA? The Priest said the class is by request only, as they don't have too many converts at once.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Upvote 0

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do plan to finish out my RCIA classes. They should be done in late Jan. or early Feb. I was wondering if it would be weird/wrong to do an Inquirer's class at the EO Church while still attending RCIA? The Priest said the class is by request only, as they don't have too many converts at once.

I did inquiry at an Orthodox parish and RCIA at the same time. It was actually encouraged by both priests. I've ultimately began leaning in one direction, all factors considered, but I wish you the best regardless of where you end up. Good luck.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I attended the service today :)

It was really beautiful. There were 7 people there in total, including myself and the Priest.

I spoke with the Priest afterwards and he was very kind and said I can call anytime to ask questions and we can schedule a meeting sometime to talk further. The two woman I spoke with were also very welcoming.

Part of me is glad I went. The other part isn't, because now I'll have to do further research :p

I say go for it if the priests are okay with it.

and care to say which way you are leaning truth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that it is one thing I can pinpoint precisely.

I struggle with Papal Infallibility as well as RC views on Hell.

I am in RCIA right now, but plan to attend a Russian Orthodox Church tomorrow for Divine Liturgy. I attended a Greek Orthodox Church last year, but didn't like it so much. Hopefully I will like this one, because these are the only two to choose from in my area.

I got a private request to respond further than I did in my prior post.

At Pascha 1993, I almost died of pneumonia with a 105 fever. At that time, I was a Roman Catholic. When I was in the hospital, I promised the Lord that I would look into the Eastern Catholic Church, specifically the Melkites, if I were allowed to live. I recovered slowly due to recurring infections then asthma, but on August 1, 1993, I attended my first Divine Liturgy in the Melkite Catholic Church. My husband and I were in tears due to the beauty and magnificence of the Divine Liturgy. It was so awesome.

However, at our first meeting with the Melkite Catholic Priest that evening, we were advised that it was the first day of the Fast of the Theotokos. We were surprised that the Melkites had stricter fasting disciplines than Roman Catholics, but we fully embraced these ascetic disciplines. We asked about the history of the Melkites and were surprised that they were formerly with the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

We asked them why they were no longer Orthodox Christians, and we were told that it was more political than cultural, but that Melkites held the same faith as the Orthodox. Learning this, we asked if we could enroll in the Orthodox Christian inquiry classes at the Orthodox Cathedral. We were told that we could.

That week, we contacted the Orthodox Christian Cathedral and started attending their inquiry classes. We were overjoyed that Orthodox Christians have preserved the True Faith and did not have novel practices and teachings like the Novus Ordo Mass or Papal Infallibility. The more we studied, the more comfortable we felt in Orthodoxy.

We had weekly meetings with our Melkite Priest and the Orthodox Priest (at the inquiry class). Finally, we realized that we should become Orthodox Christians and put aside the schizophrenia of trying to be both Roman Catholics and Orthodox in union with Rome and with Constantinople. Once Papal infallibility and supremacy fell, we were freed to join the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

tigersgrowl1093

Looking Towards the East.
May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say go for it if the priests are okay with it.

and care to say which way you are leaning truth?

I'm leaning towards EO, but also don't want to be too hasty (I've been guilty of that in the past and it usually doesn't end well).

I think the most important thing is that you come to a place of clarity in both heart and mind before committing to either faith. The last thing you want is to commit either way and then feel conflicted. I know for a fact that both the RCC and EO want inquirers to come into the faith only after they are fully ready and prepared. The embrace of your newfound faith ought to be without reservations. Therefore, I think Truthseeker's advice is good - inquire at both, attend services at both, and tell both priests that you are doing so. Most of all, pray! It may take longer to figure out which way to go, but that is a small price to pay for being at peace with your decision. And, of course, TAW is available to you as a resource and place to ask questions and hang out while you do your spiritual work of discernment.

I pray that the Lord Jesus Christ gives you guidance, clarity of heart and succor in your journey, to His glory!

In Christ,
Patrick

I agree, 100%.

I'm a very impatient person, so I am using this to grow in patience. :D:holy:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm leaning towards EO, but also don't want to be too hasty (I've been guilty of that in the past and it usually doesn't end well).

haha, I hear you man. it's best to take this slowly, that way you won't either get burned out too fast, or bounce toward the next faith that just sounds better than Orthodoxy on paper.

tis good you wanna take it slow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums