Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So.. still a failure and going against the Lord's wishes (aka rebellion).
This is how I believe my lord judged their action. Their motives were pure and they could not have known that Paul was set aside at birth. Why do you try to twist the judgment?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
This is how I believe my lord judged their action. Their motives were pure and they could not have known that Paul was set aside at birth. Why do you try to twist the judgment?
I am simply trying to understand your beliefs. Thus far what I'm getting is that you believe all the Apostles in Act 1 failed, didn't listen to the Lord, and did what *they* wanted to do.

To me, that sounds like complete apostasy. It doesn't matter that they did so with "the best intentions" -- failing to listen the the Lord and putting yourself first is a big deal.

If this is NOT your beliefs, please please tell me where I'm misunderstanding so I can improve. Right now I feel like I'm not getting things correctly.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Randy777
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am simply trying to understand your beliefs. Thus far what I'm getting is that you believe all the Apostles in Act 1 failed, didn't listen to the Lord, and did what *they* wanted to do.

To me, that sounds like complete apostasy. It doesn't matter that they did so with "the best intentions" -- failing to listen the the Lord and putting yourself first is a big deal.

If this is NOT your beliefs, please please tell me where I'm misunderstanding so I can improve. Right now I feel like I'm not getting things correctly.
I don’t know how you arrived at that. I never made such a statement. The Apostles didn’t wait for a answer to their prayer in regard to replacing Judas. Their motives were pure. That not all the Apostles failed.
They were not commanded to not replace Judas. They jumped the gun with pure motives.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I don’t know how you arrived at that. I never made such a statement. The Apostles didn’t wait for a answer to their prayer in regard to replacing Judas. Their motives were pure. That not all the Apostles failed.
They failed to follow God by not waiting and listening to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How not?
They didn't listen to God, but instead went and did what they wanted to do.

(I hope I don't come across as offensive here, I'm really trying hard to understand what you believe and be respectful while at it).
I have addresses this already despite your repeated attempts to twist their actions. This is in their favor their motives were pure and they couldn’t have known Paul was set aside at birth. I think you already know I am Christian and don’t hold to apostolic succesion

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I have addresses this already despite your repeated attempts to twist their actions. This is in their favor their motives were pure and they couldn’t have known Paul was set aside at birth. I think you already know I am Christian and don’t hold to apostolic succesion
Here, stating simple logic from what I'm understanding about your beliefs. Please tell me the first number I where I'm misunderstanding:
1) There was need to have a new Apostle
2) The 11 prayed about it.
3) God, being God, would have told them about His choice (that is was Paul). There was a wait involved.
4) The 11 didn't wait and listen. Hence they are responsible for the fact they didn't know of God's choice.
5) The 11 still had not heard the voice of the Lord.
6) The 11, meaning well, went off and did their own thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here, stating simple logic from what I'm understanding about your beliefs. Please tell me the first number I where I'm misunderstanding:
1) There was need to have a new Apostle
2) The 11 prayed about it.
3) God, being God, would have told them about His choice (that is was Paul). There was a wait involved.
4) The 11 didn't wait and listen. Hence they are responsible for the fact they didn't know of God's choice.
5) The 11 went off and did their own thing.
They didn’t wait for a answer to “their” prayer. They did listen and follow the lords commands. They did not receive a command to replace Judas. They reasoned such replace from the scriptures they quoted. God already had set aside Paul from birth. So the choice wasn’t from the two the Apostles,not Jesus, selected as canadates. Casting lots was common in those days. Their motives were pure and they couldn’t have known about Paul at that point in time. They chose two canadates based off merits. God chose Paul by grace before Paul had done good or bad.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
They didn’t wait for a answer to “their” prayer. They did listen and follow the lords commands. They did not receive a command to replace Judas. They reasoned such replace from the scriptures they quoted. God already had set aside Paul from birth. So the choice wasn’t from the two the Apostles,not Jesus, selected as canadates. Casting lots was common in those days. Their motives were pure and they couldn’t have known about Paul at that point in time. They chose two canadates based off merits. God chose Paul by grace before Paul had done good or bad.
How can you say "they followed the Lord's commands", and at the same time claim what they were doing wasn't following the Lord's commands?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can you say "they followed the Lord's commands", and at the same time claim what they were doing wasn't following the Lord's commands?
Whatever the lord commanded them to do they did. As Apostles they made decisions on their own as well.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Whatever the lord commanded them to do they did. As Apostles they made decisions on their own as well.
So because God didn't send a lightning bolt down explicitly saying "don't do this" it's ok for them to do whatever?
Scripture wasn't good enough guide?
Furthermore, scripture explicitly says they prayed to the Lord on the matter.

I apologize if I'm coming off offensive here- really really do apologize. This just... I'm trying to make sense of it, but it's not following

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So because God didn't send a lightning bolt down explicitly saying "don't do this" it's ok for them to do whatever?
Scripture wasn't good enough guide?

I apologize if I'm coming off offensive here- really really do apologize. This just... I'm trying to make sense of it, but it's not following
In this case God had already set aside Paul as His choice. So what the lord would have found in their favor was their motive was pure and they couldn’t have known about Paul.

You really need to know these Apostles left everything to follow Jesus and put their lives on the line daily. Jesus loved them and he made judgments based off His righteousness.

Upvote 0