For Muslim. Why do you call God "Allah"?

M

markie4u2001

I remember Azri posted a link one time that said God didn't tell Moses what His name was. He said I am that I am, it said he might as well have told Moses none of your business. So we really don't know God's name I am that I am is a state of being not a name but it's what God said when Moses asked. You can post links that say Yahweh is a moon God, we post links that Allah is a moon God. Maybe that's why he didn't tell us God is God no matter what name you use.
The link said if you knew a name it would give you contrail over that person, I don't know why it would do that but if it was important I think God would have told Moses what His name was. Psalm 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. He magnified His word, not His name. Allah may have been a moon god, Yahweh may have been a moon god. I wouldn't doubt thatt all the prophets names were moon gods at one time, so what. He magnified His word, not his name.

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
markie4u2001 said:
Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew word yehoshua or actually yehowshuwa',, which means ; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish leader:--Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Comp. I looked up joshua becausse thhey''re the saame word. You can use whatever vowels you want because the consonants formed the words back then, it must have been hard to talk but anyway.
Immanuel means god with us, it was also the name of Isaah's son. 6005. 'Immanuw'el, im-maw-noo-ale'; from H5973 and H410 with suff. pron. ins.; with us (is) God; Immanuel, a typ. name of Isaiah's son:--Immanuel.
I really don't know why his name was supposed to be Immanuel.

I didnt mention Joshua. I know what Joshua means.

I mention Immanuel. And I know what Immanual means. But if G-d said the Messiah is to be called Immanuel....why do Christians call Him by another name? The name you call him by is Jesus but G-d said Immanuel is what His name shall be, correct??

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

This guy is crazy. I thought he was a wacco when I had to clic the OK button to read the article...What is a Yahwist? They are all moon god worshipers! A Yahweh believer is any person who believes YHWH (the tetragrammaton name of Baal) pronounced Yahweh, is the name of God. Yahweh is a guess name and is NOT THE NAME OF THE TRUE GOD. Yahweh as it is spelled IS NOT A HEBREW NAME for God!
So now we're moon god worshipers, I didn't know that. Baal was the god of
the underworld it wasn't a moon god. It was a sun god at one time but never a moon god. Then he says that people that worship Yahweh blaspheme Jesus.
I'm sure if you look at enough "Christian" sites you'll find one that says what you want it to say.
To me it would make sense thatt they would name a god after the true God
or some derivative because they all came from Noah or one of his sons after the flood so they probably had some kind of knowledge of God they just invented other gods. It reminds me of what Paul said about them knowing God but not glorifying him as God in Romans 1:21

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Leave the Muslims alone!!! Muslims are my friend and if you get to know them they are VERY nice people.

Markie,

Mark 15:34 where Jesus is reported to have cried out in Aramaic:

ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?

Which is translated into English as:

My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?

‘eloi [ELWI] of Aramaic origin,means my G-d.

If the claim is that Yahweh is the so-called "true" name of God, then why instead of calling out

Jesus could have instead just cried out

YAHWEH, YAHWEH, LAMA SABACHTHANI?

This shows that the Muslims are correct in calling G-d Allah. Jesus did refer to God as "ELOI", or "ELI" (according to Matthew 27:46). "ELI" (which root word is related to the Arabic word ALLAH) So calling G-d Allah is not bad or a pagan name if your Jesus called G-d this name.

Why wont you answer my question about why Christians dont call Jesus Immanuel??

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Shy21 said:

We do, depending on the hymn.

Immanuel was more of a title or epithet, like messiah (mashiah).

Ultimately, none of it matters. Humans invented language, so any attempt to describe God is not going to be perfect. Again, I shall quote the Matrix Revolutions: "...it is just a word, it is the meaning that it implies that counts."

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Shy21 said:
Leave the Muslims alone!!!

Agreed.

Shy21 said:

Matthew 1:21-23:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Now my guess on the answer to your question would firstly be: because he was named Jesus not Immanuel. But that is too obvious and not what you are looking for. My next opinion would be that the Angel of the Lord told Mary and Joseph what to name the child. Jesus means "God saves" which was his function in this world...to save us from sin. Secondly, he was "God with us" as the incarnation, so the prophecy was fulfilled in the sense that he was Immanuel (God with us), but was named Jesus (God saves) to denote not who he was, but what his purpose was.
But I'm no expert...a theologian would know better and God knows best.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Rocky582 said:
If you do not come from an Arabic background, why do you call god Allah? And further more why do the Quran say "Allah" and not "God"? I mean seriously. I mean, seriously, I learnt English as a third language in my life and when I speak English I would say "God", because I'm speaking English. And Further more, English speaking Christian would still say "God" and not say it in Hebrew or Greek.
Yeah, basically I'm asking, if you don't speak Arabic, why say Allah? And if the Quran was translated into English, then why still say "Allah" and not say "God?
Allah is very close to Eloi, which is a form of the Jewish word for My God...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Canadian75 said:
Yeah, I know. Jesus is an English translation of a Latin translation of a Greek translation of the Aramaic name. I was just quoting the bible (another translation).;)

Ohh, I can hear a good majority of my church, now:

"Which Bible? There's no other translation other than the King James!"

(Just playing, but my church would do that)

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

Canadian75 said:
Dude, I cannot believe you said that.:eek: Kind of insulting and inflammatory don't you think?
I didn't mean it that way. I meant he criticizes more harshly than a Muslim would. Of course a Muslim wouldn't say or imply the name of God is Jesus, but he says every body that call's God YHWH or Yahweh is worshipping the moon. I didn't mean Muslims are bad people and I didn't mean to offend anybody, I'm sorry.

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

Shy21 said:
Leave the Muslims alone!!! Muslims are my friend and if you get to know them they are VERY nice people.

Markie,

Mark 15:34 where Jesus is reported to have cried out in Aramaic:

Which is translated into English as:

My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?

‘eloi [ELWI] of Aramaic origin,means my G-d.

If the claim is that Yahweh is the so-called "true" name of God, then why instead of calling out

Jesus could have instead just cried out

YAHWEH, YAHWEH, LAMA SABACHTHANI?

This shows that the Muslims are correct in calling G-d Allah. Jesus did refer to God as "ELOI", or "ELI" (according to Matthew 27:46). "ELI" (which root word is related to the Arabic word ALLAH) So calling G-d Allah is not bad or a pagan name if your Jesus called G-d this name.

I didn't mean the Muslims were bad people. When I said the author of the site that Azzri posted was worse than a Muslim I meant he was more of a critic than a Muslim would be. That's true if that is the Arabic pronunciation of that word. Azri posited a link one time that said it was the word Eloah, so if it is that is a name for God. I told you I don't know Jesus is called Jesus instead of immanuel, I will try to find out for you. I have wondered about that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

markie4u2001

Blackmarch said:
Allah is very close to Eloi, which is a form of the Jewish word for My God...
I think Eloi is Aramaic, Allah is supposed to be the Arabic form of Eloah. If that's true Allah is a name for God. Since is plural and they only use the singular eloah or 'elowahh: which is used 56 times and 'elohiym: is used 2605 times if Allah is eloah it would be used 2661 times in the old testament. As for the moon god stuff i don't know and it really doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

cweb255

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
✟624.00
Faith
Atheist
Eloi is Aramaic, but Eli is Hebrew, the root word "El" DOES NOT MEAN GOD. No, it means power, or strenght, or might, and is used transfiguratively to mean god. Like in Old English, the word "god" actually meant "good" and was used thus accordingly. If anyone would read the Septuagint, they would realize that the name for Joshua in Greek is "Jesus" so calling him Ye'shua (which is yehoshua shortened) is merely conjectural. Looking through 3rd century BCE and 1st century CE names the name "Jesus" comes up quite often. This is because Joshua was the first conquerer of Canaan and was used as a title for revolutionary leaders. Thus Jesus' real name was Immanuel ben Yosef and was called Yehoshua (or maybe Ye'shua) Moshiach, or Immanuel son of Joseph the Conquerer and Savior.

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

Shy21 said:
I didnt mention Joshua. I know what Joshua means.

I mention Immanuel. And I know what Immanual means. But if G-d said the Messiah is to be called Immanuel....why do Christians call Him by another name? The name you call him by is Jesus but G-d said Immanuel is what His name shall be, correct??
Isaiah 7:14 says "The Virgin will be with child and will call him Immanuel." Immanuel means "God With Us." Yeshua means "God (Yah) Shall Save (Shua)." Isaiah 7:14 seems to specifically suggest that the Virgin will CALL the child Immanuel. Since "God With Us" and "God Shall Save" are not identical names, what are we to make of this?
http://www.therefinersfire.org/immanuel.htm
Most scholars think this verse is symbolic. Jesus was God with us, his name was Jesus.
That the writer of Matthew used "Immanuel" for symbolic purposes is an idea favored by a scholarly consensus. They say, "that names of individuals expressed their personality and status or nature" (The Oxford Companion, pg. 545) as we see in other symbolic reference to Jesus (i.e. "King of kings," "The Lamb of God," "Chief Shepherd," etc.). Indeed, it is likely that Matthew used "Immanuel" for the same purpose, as many skeptics contend, Jesus is nowhere actually called "Immanuel." Instead, we see New Testament writers interpreting Jesus to have characteristics implied in the meaning of Immanuel; a meaning that can also be inferred at other locations: John 1:1-3; John 1:14; John 20:28; Col. 2:9; etc. In light of these considerations, the idea that Jesus was going to be literally called "Immanuel" doesn’t hold water and the notion that Jesus’ reported characteristics were found in the meaning of "Immanuel" suggests symbolic significance.
Isaiah 9:6 states that His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Yeshua was never called these things as His name, per se, yet that does not make Him less of who He really is.
Matthew, if he were trying to pull the wool over people's eyes, would have had Mary or someone else in the gospel simply called Yeshua "Immanuel" a couple of times in order to prove his point. Since that does not occur, evidently Matthew (like 99.9% of everyone else), sees that the Isaac 7:14 phrase "his name shall be called" was in a symbolic form.
Can we prove that Mary ever called Him "Emanuel"? No. Can anyone else prove that Mary NEVER called Him "Immune"? No.

Isaiah doesn't say when he will be called immmanuel. He is often called immanuel today. I don't think Jesus was called the prince of peace or the other names 2000 years ago but He is today. I think it has to be symbolic, immanuel is who he is, Jesus is his name.

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

According to that site the name of God is written
and is Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh. Since vowels didn't count back then it would be HYH SHR HYH and mean's I will prove to be what I will. They must have had vowel sounds or they couldn't talk but another link that Azri posted said the consonants made up the words. That doesn't look like Allah either so it's more likely that Allah mean's Eloah. It may have been a moon god, but that's not their fault. II think thiss is another link tto that site.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7999.html

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
markie4u2001 said:
According to that site the name of God is written
and is Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh. Since vowels didn't count back then it would be HYH SHR HYH and mean's I will prove to be what I will. They must have had vowel sounds or they couldn't talk but another link that Azri posted said the consonants made up the words. That doesn't look like Allah either so it's more likely that Allah mean's Eloah. It may have been a moon god, but that's not their fault. II think thiss is another link tto that site.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7999.html

Muslims do not worship a moon G-d just as Christians don't. Do you know Aramaic or Hebrew fluently or are you gettting this information from a website? If you did know it fluently....you would understand that the word Allah has connections with the word Eloi and Eli both which are not moon "gods"

Upvote 0