For Muslim. Why do you call God "Allah"?

R

Rocky582

If you do not come from an Arabic background, why do you call god Allah? And further more why do the Quran say "Allah" and not "God"? I mean seriously. I mean, seriously, I learnt English as a third language in my life and when I speak English I would say "God", because I'm speaking English. And Further more, English speaking Christian would still say "God" and not say it in Hebrew or Greek.
Yeah, basically I'm asking, if you don't speak Arabic, why say Allah? And if the Quran was translated into English, then why still say "Allah" and not say "God?

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim
Rocky582 said:
If you do not come from an Arabic background, why do you call god Allah? And further more why do the Quran say "Allah" and not "God"? I mean seriously. I mean, seriously, I learnt English as a third language in my life and when I speak English I would say "God", because I'm speaking English. And Further more, English speaking Christian would still say "God" and not say it in Hebrew or Greek.
Yeah, basically I'm asking, if you don't speak Arabic, why say Allah? And if the Quran was translated into English, then why still say "Allah" and not say "God?

There are many names of Allah and one of them is Al-Barr which also means The GOD. Qur'aan was revealed in arabic and The GOD address himself as Allah in Qur'aan.

17:110
O Prophet, say to them: "Whether you call Him Allah or call Him Rahman; it is all the same by whichever name you call Him because for Him are all the Finest names. Offer your Salah neither in too loud a voice nor in too low a voice but seek a middle course

17:111
and say: "Praise be to Allah, the One Who has begotten no son and Who has no partner in His Kingdom; nor He is helpless to need a protector, and glorify His greatness in the best possible way."

20:1
Tua Ha.

20:2
We have not sent down this Qur'an to put you in trouble,

20:3
but as a reminder to those who fear Allah.

20:4
This is a revelation from Him Who has created the earth and the lofty Heavens,

20:5
the Beneficent (Allah) Who is firmly established on the throne of authority,

20:6
to Him belongs whatever is in the Heavens and in the earth, and all that lies between them, and all that is beneath the soil.

20:7
The One to Whom you need not speak aloud; for He knows what is said in secret and what is yet more hidden.

20:8
He is Allah! There is no deity worthy of worship except Him! To Him belong the most beautiful Names.

7:179
Certainly, We have destined many Jinns and human beings for hell; those are the ones who have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, they have ears with which they do not hear. They are like animals - or even worse than them , because they are those who are heedless.

7:180
Allah has the most excellent names (over ninety-nine attributes); call on Him by them ; and shun those people who use profanity in His Names, such people shall be requited for their misdeeds.

7:181
Among those whom We have created, there are some people who guide thers with the truth and establish justice therewith.

Upvote 0
R

Rocky582

Yes...and my question still remains, why doesn't the English translation of the Quran translate "Allah" (Arabic) into "God" (English).
Isn't Allah the exact same as God? Ya know, with my ignorants towards this matter, I want toknow if either "Arabic" was some sort of Holly Language towards the Muslim that's why the English translation of the Quran still says "Allah" (Arabic) and not "God" English or is there any other "logical" explanation to this?

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim
Rocky582 said:
Yes...and my question still remains, why doesn't the English translation of the Quran translate "Allah" (Arabic) into "God" (English).
Isn't Allah the exact same as God? Ya know, with my ignorants towards this matter, I want toknow if either "Arabic" was some sort of Holly Language towards the Muslim that's why the English translation of the Quran still says "Allah" (Arabic) and not "God" English or is there any other "logical" explanation to this?

Translation of Qur'aan is there to fasilitate those people who do not understand Arabic at all. You may do research any muslim who pray reads qur'aan in Arabic not the translation while praying. Since Qur'aan was revealed in Arabic it is important to learn and understand arabic language.

2:78
Among them there are some illiterates who do not know their Holy Book; they follow their own desires and do nothing but conjecture.

2:79
Woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say: "This is from Allah," so that they may sell it for a petty price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they have earned.

Upvote 0
R

Rocky582

Bookofknowledge said:
Translation of Qur'aan is there to fasilitate those people who do not understand Arabic at all. You may do research any muslim who pray reads qur'aan in Arabic not the translation while praying. Since Qur'aan was revealed in Arabic it is important to learn and understand arabic language.

2:78
Among them there are some illiterates who do not know their Holy Book; they follow their own desires and do nothing but conjecture.

2:79
Woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say: "This is from Allah," so that they may sell it for a petty price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they have earned.

Yes and the greeks will read the new testiment in greek as well.

With this said, are you implying that Arabic is a Holly language which is regconise by Muslim?

The term has no plural or gender. Nothing else can be called Allah. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god which can be made into plural, gods or feminine, goddess.
This makes a bit of sense, but is that your personal opinion or was thats the intention of the person that translate the Quran?
Also, I'm Vietnamese, and If I say "Thien Tua" It also means "GOD" as well. And there's it cannot be into plural and or feminine as well. I've know some Vietnamese people who are Muslim and they still say "Allah" and when speaking in English and not "Thien Tua".

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim
Rocky582 said:
Yes and the greeks will read the new testiment in greek as well.

With this said, are you implying that Arabic is a Holly language which is regconise by Muslim?

Translations are done by scholars who understand arabic language to their best of ability yet the translated version is not taken as complete Qur'aan due to the rich language of arabic.

13:37
With these instructions, We have revealed this commandment in the Arabic language. Now, if you follow their vain desires after real knowledge has come to you, there will be none to save you or protect you against the wrath of Allah.

16:103
We know very well what they say about you, O Muhammad: "A certain man teaches him." But the man they allude to speaks a foreign language while this (The Qur'an) is in eloquent Arabic.

16:104
In fact, Allah does not show guidance to those who do not believe in His revelations and they will have a painful punishment.

16:105
Surely those who do not believe in the revelations of Allah, are the ones who forge the falsehood and they are the ones who are liars!

16:106
Anyone who is forced to deny faith after its acceptance, while his heart remains loyal to the faith shall be absolved; but any who denies faith willingly after its acceptance and open his breast to unbelief, shall incur the wrath of Allah and shall be sternly punished.

16:107
This is because such people love the life of this world more than the hereafter, and that Allah does not guide those who knowingly reject faith.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rocky582 said:

What does it matter? Yes, both of them mean the same thing, but it really doesn't matter. Use whichever name suits you. I prefer to use the name "God" because it's the easiest to say that I've encountered thus far.

Allah and God are words, it's just the connection the word implies.

Didn't you watch The Matrix Revolutions?

Upvote 0
R

RebAvomai

BS'D

Rocky582 said:

With this in mind, why do you call Jesus, Jesus and not Joshua?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

markie4u2001

RebAvomai said:
BS'D

With this in mind, why do you call Jesus, Jesus and not Joshua?
Because Joshua is the name of a prophet in the old testament. When we say Jesus we think about Jesus Christ. The names may be the same in Hebrew but it differentiates between the two. Joshua is not Jesus, "For there is one God, and one mediator, also between God and men, the Man Messiah Yahshua." (1 Timothy 2:5). Since vowels don't count in Semitic languages Yahshua can be Yehoshua and it won't change the meaning of the word. Words have to be translated according to context.

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟17,334.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have seen translations of the Qur'an use the name God instead of Allah (for example the translation by A.J. Arberry). I have read the Qur'an translated by A. Yusuf Ali (one of the most popular English translations) and it used God instead of Allah, yet I saw another A. Yusuf Ali translation and it used Allah. In these cases I believe it was the choice of the publisher to use Allah vs. God (I don't know which one Ali used originally).
It usually depends on the feeling of the translator(s). The New Jerusalem Bible (a Catholic translation) uses Yahweh instead of LORD in its translation (The NAB, another Catholic translation uses LORD). Most English bibles translate Yahweh as LORD, again an example of the choice of the translators.

Upvote 0

benmaarof

Feb 5, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
✟16,643.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Rocky582 said:
Actually, I have an English translation of the Quran by Yusuf Ali that uses God instead of Allah.

Upvote 0

muslimah.

Aug 25, 2004
✟955.00
Faith
Muslim
The word "Allah" gives a more precise meaning for God than any other name of God in any other language.

the reason for this is it is made of two parts:

Al : equevalant to "the"
lah: originally was "Ilah" : meaning the ONE who created everything , sustains it and deserves to be worshipped.
the 2 were merged together by dropping the letter "I" to become " Allah" which means the Real True ONE GOD. it has NO plural unlike Eloi or God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
muslimah. said:
The word "Allah" gives a more precise meaning for God than any other name of God in any other language.

the reason for this is it is made of two parts:

Al : equevalant to "the"
lah: originally was "Ilah" : meaning the ONE who created everything , sustains it and deserves to be worshipped.
the 2 were merged together by dropping the letter "I" to become " Allah" which means the Real True ONE GOD. it has NO plural unlike Eloi or God

That is soooo objective. Are you saying this because you favor the Qu'ran or is it based upon a sound study and reasoning? I think that saying Daddy or Father is a lot more substantial than Allah. Allah has roots in paganism and can easily carry that cannotation. Being a plural form does not diminish its weight in being more precise. You assume that the plural form is not the most accurate without understanding the context of the usage, IMO. You actually have to considering that if you do not, you will have to explain the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit even if it could possibly carry some weight and truth.

Upvote 0

muslimah.

Aug 25, 2004
✟955.00
Faith
Muslim
peaceful soul said:
That is soooo objective. Are you saying this because you favor the Qu'ran or is it based upon a sound study and reasoning?
It is a language explanation.

peaceful soul said:
I think that saying Daddy or Father is a lot more substantial than Allah.
there are billions of daddies and fathers, but ONE GOD which makes a big difference.

peaceful soul said:
Allah has roots in paganism and can easily carry that cannotation.
Allah is the equivalent in Arabic .
Pagan roots for any religious things are originally true in meaning, because Allah sent thousands of prophets and many Books, it is possible that the name "Allah" was used then and was transfered with later religious litereture.

for example: Allah ordered His prophets Abraham and his son Ismael to build Al-ka'ba mosque to be His Place for worship. He also ordered Abraham to perform Hajj .This was accomplished exactly as Allah ordered

But as time passed ,people deviated from Allah's true religion which is Islam ; monotheism , people started assocoating idols with God and worshipped them claiming that the idols helped them get closer to Allah. this continued for hundreds of years untill Allah sent His Final messenger ; Muhammad PBUH to correct all the religious corruption and deviateion not only in Arabia, but in the whole world.
Over 40 centuries passed since the advent of Abraham PBUH, It is a sign from Allah, that the first House of Allah (al-ka’bah) the foundations of which were raised by Abraham, still remains, manifest, visited, preserved and holy, after more than four-thousand years.

Over 14 centuries passed , the Holy Quran and the Prophets traditions are kept exactly as they were then

peaceful soul said:
Being a plural form does not diminish its weight in being more precise. You assume that the plural form is not the most accurate without understanding the context of the usage, IMO. You actually have to considering that if you do not, you will have to explain the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit even if it could possibly carry some weight and truth.
we believe that Allah told us the Truth . there is no trinity. God is nothing like HIm. the Holy Spirit is an angel. Jesus PBUH is a prophet like the others.

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

Azri said Allah has no plural feminine form. It looks like it depends on which sect you're talking about. In Sufism it appears to be a goddess, but then they might not be considered true Muslims.
This paper calls attention to an unexpected and little explored fact of immense significance in Islam: at the center of Islam abides the Divine Feminine. Before the Prophet of Islam, Muhammad, brought the religion of Islam to Arabia, the Arabs were a polytheistic people. Hindu merchants frequently passed through Makkah, a major trading hub. Ancient Indian Vedic texts refer to Makkah as a place where Alla the Mother Goddess was worshiped. In Sanskrit, <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Alla means “mother.” This name was connected to the Hindu Goddess Ila. She was the consort of the Hindu God Siva in his form known as Il, and this form of Siva was known and worshiped in pre-Islamic Makkah. A great deal of cultural and spiritual interchange took place between the merchants of Makkah and India. According to some scholars however, the ancient Arabs believed that Allâh (the greatest God) had entrusted the discharge of the various functions of the universe to different (lesser) gods and goddesses. People would therefore turn to these gods and goddesses to invoke their blessings in all sorts of undertakings.[2] The ancient Arabs prayed to these lesser gods and goddesses to intercede before Allâh and to pass their desires on to Allâh. As part of their religious practices, they visited Makkah. In Makkah was a large cube-like building known as the Ka’ba. This temple contained three hundred sixty idols. Those who were visiting the great city of Makkah as pilgrims would circumambulate the Ka’ba as part of their religious rites.[3] The pre-Islamic Arabs had a custom of performing a sevenfold circumambulation of the Ka’ba completely naked. Men performed this in the daytime and women at night. The door of the Ka’ba is in the northeastern wall. On the outside, in the corner east of the door and 1.5 meters above the ground, the famous “Black Stone” (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Hajar Al-Aswad) is found. This Black Stone is now in pieces, three large parts, and smaller fragments, which are tied together with a silver band. The eminently feminine <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">yoni [4] form of the Black Stone’s setting is remarkable. There are several theories on the origin of the Black Stone: a meteor, lava, or basalt. Its color is reddish black, with some red and yellow particles. Its original diameter is estimated to have been 30 cm. The identity of the Black Stone with the Great Goddess and with the moon is recognized by the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Hulama - the rationalist school of Islam.[5]Inside the Ka’ba there were fresco paintings including those of Abraham and the “Virgin Mary” with the baby Jesus.[6] When Muhammad retook Makkah he began a program of removing the pagan influences from the Ka’ba, the most holy of Muslim sites. He removed many frescoes and images that he considered inauspicious but he specifically left on the walls a fresco of the “Virgin Mary” and her child. The <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Qur’<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">a<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">n obligates every believer to make a pilgrimage to Makkah at least once in his or her lifetime, if finances permit.[7] Since the time of Muhammad, during the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Tawaf (circumambulation of the Ka’ba)[8] pilgrims kiss or touch the black stone as they make circuit around the Ka’ba. Ben-Jochannan who has studied the polytheistic religions of the Arabian peninsula points out that before Muhammad, Makkah was a holy site to the worshippers of El’Ka’ba<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> (a goddess). Her worshippers knelt at her symbol, a jet black stone.[9] This jet-black stone was probably a meteorite, and the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Hajar Al-Aswad was once known as the ‘Old Woman’.[10] Popular tradition relates how Abraham, when he founded the Ka’ba, bought the land from an old woman to which it belonged. She however consented to part with it only on the condition that she and her descendents should have the key of the place in their keeping.[11] Today the stone is served by men called <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Beni Shaybah (the Sons of the Old Woman).The crescent moon goddess (and virgin warrior Goddess of the morning star), Al-Uzza, was known to the pre-Islamic Arabs as “The Mighty”. Some scholars believe that in very ancient times, it was she who was considered enshrined in the black stone of Makkah, where she was served by priestesses. Her sacred grove of acacia trees once stood just south of Makkah, at Nakla. The Acacia tree was sacred to the Arabs who made the idol of Al-Uzza from its wood.[12] Stones, similar to the black stone of the Ka’ba, were worshipped by Arabs in most parts and by the Semitic races generally. The Kabyles of Kabylia in Northern Algeria say their first Great Mother goddess was turned to stone. Other names of the goddess are Kububa, Kuba, Kube and the Latin Cybele.[13] Other scholars say that this meteorite was brought to Makkah by the Sabeans or the Ethiopians and state that the goddess who dwelt in the sacred black stone was given the title <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Shayba (see <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Beni Shaybah - the Sons of the Old Woman, above) who represented the Moon in its threefold existence - waxing, (maiden), full (pregnant mother) and waning (old wise woman).[14] Although the word <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Ka’ba itself means ‘cube’, it is very close to the word <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">ku‘b meaning ‘woman’s breast’.[15] Sûfîsm cherishes the esoteric secret of woman, even though Sûfîsm is the esoteric aspect of a seemingly patriarchal religion. Muslims pray five times a day facing the city of Makkah. Inside every Mosque is a niche, or recess, called the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Mihrab - a vertical rectangle curved at the top that points toward the direction of Makkah. The Sûfîs know the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Mihrab to be a visual symbol of an abstract concept: the transcendent vagina of the female aspect of divinity. In Sûfîsm, woman is the ultimate secret, for woman is the soul. Toshihiko Izutsu writes, “The wife of Adam was feminine, but the first soul from which Adam was born was also feminine.”[16]The Divine Feminine has always been present in Islam. This may be surprising to many people who see Islam as a patriarchal religion. Maybe the reason for this misconception is the very nature of the feminine in Islam. The Divine Feminine in Islam manifests metaphysically and in the inner expression of the religion. The Divine Feminine is not so much a secret within Islam as She is the compassionate Heart of Islam that enables us to know Divinity. Her centrality demonstrates her necessary and life-giving role in Islam. Sûfîsm, or as some would define it “mystical Islam” has always honored the Divine Feminine. Of course, Allâh has both masculine and feminine qualities, but to the Sûfî, Allâh has always been the Beloved and the Sûfî has always been the Lover. The <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Qur’an, referring to the final Day, perhaps divulges a portion of this teaching: “And there is manifest to them of God what they had not expected to see.”[17]Islam is aniconic. In other words, images, effigies, or idols of Allâh are not allowed, although verbal depiction abounds. There was a question long debated in Islam: can we see Allâh? The Prophet said in a <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">hadith, “In Paradise the faithful will see Allâh with the clarity with which you see the moon on the fourteenth night (the full moon).” Theologians debated what this could mean, but the Sûfîs have held that you can see Allâh even in this world, through the “eye of the heart.” The famous Sûfî martyr al-Hallaj said in a poem, “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">ra’aytu rabbi bi-‘ayni qalb<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">î” (I saw my Lord with the eye of my heart). Relevant to the focus of this paper is that Sûfîs have always described this theophanic experience as the vision of a woman, the female figure as the object of <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">ru’yah (vision of Allâh). There was a great Sûfî Saint who was born in 1165 C.E. Besides Shi’a Muslims, numberless Sunni <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Ulemas called him “The Greatest Sheikh” (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">al-Shaykh al-Akbar).[18] His name was Muyiddin ibn al-‘Arabî. He said, “To know woman is to know oneself,” and “Whoso knoweth his self, knoweth his Lord.” Ibn al-’Arabî wrote a collection of poems entitled <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Tarjumân al-ashwâq. These are love poems that he composed after meeting the learned and beautiful Persian woman Nizam in Makkah. The poems are filled with images pointing to the Divine Feminine. His book <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Fusûs al-hikam[19], in the last chapter, relates that man’s supreme witnessing of Allâh is in the form of the woman during the act of sexual union. He writes, “The contemplation of Allâh in woman is the highest form of contemplation possible: As the Divine Reality is inaccessible in respect of the Essence, and there is contemplation only in a substance, the contemplation of God in women is the most intense and the most perfect; and the union which is the most intense (in the sensible order, which serves as support for this contemplation) is the conjugal act.” Allâh as the Beloved in Sûfî literature, the ma‘shûq, is always depicted with female iconography. A popular new book, <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Da Vinci Code[20], a thriller by Dan Brown, tells the story of a Harvard professor summoned to the Louvre Museum after a murder there to examine cryptic symbols relating to da Vinci’s work. During the course of his investigation, he uncovers an ancient secret: the claim that Mary Magdalene represents the Divine Feminine, and that she and Jesus had a sexual relationship. While the book is a work of fiction, it does represent the force of the Divine Feminine to unveil Herself in the midst of religious traditions that have become altered through cultural accretions into anti-sexual, anti-pleasure and anti-feminine belief structures.

Upvote 0
M

markie4u2001

Sufism may be a mystical form of Islam, but it's Islam, isn't it? Or is it considered Islam?

There is also the worthy of note nonfiction work <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The Woman With the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail[21]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> which presents the idea that Mary Magdalen was actually married to Jesus Christ and the Holy Grail is not a cup or chalice at all but Mary’s womb as she carried the “bloodline” of Jesus to Egypt and then to Europe. The author, Margaret Starbird[22], advances her theory by analyzing art of the dark ages and the “understood” meaning behind it. Starbird does an excellent job of researching European history, heraldry, the rituals of Freemasonry, medieval art, symbolism, psychology, mythology, religion, and the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures to discover that the meaning of the Holy Grail could be the lost bride of Jesus and the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">female child she carried within her. Starbird’s theological beliefs were profoundly shaken when she read <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Holy <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Blood, Holy Grail[23], a book that dared to suggest that Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalen and that their descendants carried on his holy bloodline in Western Europe. Shocked by such heresy, this Roman Catholic scholar set out to refute it, but instead found new and compelling evidence for the existence of the bride of Jesus. The roles of Muhammad’s daughter Fatima and Mary are similar. The true line of the Prophet ‘Isa (Jesus) and his real teaching passing through Mary and into Europe mirrors the true line of the Imams (who propagated the real teachings of the Prophet Muhammad) who issued from the womb of Fatima. Fatima is regarded by some Sûfîs and theologians as the first spiritual head (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">qutb) of the Sûfî fellowship.[24]Among the Ghulat[25] there is much respect paid to the Divine Feminine. In the Ghulat group the Ahl-i-Haqq (“the People of Truth”), the Divine Feminine appears as the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Khatun-i Qiyamat (Lady of Resurrection) who also is manifested as the mysterious angel Razbâr (also Ramzbâr or Remzebâr). The writer, Frédéric Macler, claims that the name Razbâr is of Arabic origin and means “secret of the creator”.[26] The term <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">qiyama literally means, “rising” of the dead, and allegorically, it implies an idea denoting the rising to the next spiritual stage, and <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">qiyamat-i qubra (great resurrection) means an attainment of the highest degree when a man becomes free from the ties of external laws, whom he shackles and transfigures into spiritual substance, which rejoins its divine sources.[27] “The King of the World was sitting on the water with His four associate angels (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">chahar malak-i muqarrab) when they suddenly saw the Pure Substance of Hadrat-i Razbâr, the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Khatun-i Qiyamat (Lady of the Resurrection). She brought out from the sea a round loaf of bread (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">kulucha), and offered it to the King of the World. By His order they formed a devotional assembly (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">jam), distributed the bread, offered prayers and exclaimed ‘Hu!’ Then the earth and the skies became fixed, the skies being that <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">kulucha.”[28] Another rendition of the emergence of the Lady of the Resurrection is as follows: “After this the Holder of the World and Creator of Man looked upon ‘Azra’il with the eye of benefaction, and ‘Azra’il became split into two parts, one exactly like the other, and from between these parts a drop of light emerged in the form of a loaf of <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">kulucha bread. The Creator then said, I appoint that person (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">surat) who became separated from ‘Azra’il to be the Lady of the Resurrection (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Khatun-i Qiyamat), who will on the Resurrection Day be the helper of human beings.”[29] The followers of Yârsânism, also known as the Yârisân, Aliullâhi, Ali-llâhi (i.e., “those who deify ‘Ali”), Alihaq, Ahl-i Haqq (“the People of Truth”) or Ahl-i Haq (“the People of the Spirit” (Hâk or Haqj), are concentrated in southern Kurdistan in both Iran and Iraq. In each epoch there is a <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">female avatar of the Universal Spirit, a reflection of the higher status of women in the Kurdish culture and tradition.[30]What do those who study mystical Islam claim is the hidden meaning regarding the existence of the sexes in creation? These researchers perceive that the biological and psychological differences between the sexes are only hints of a more momentous significance hidden within the divinity Itself. Of course, Sûfîsm does not argue against the Oneness of Allâh. The quintessence of Allâh transcends duality, yet the Ultimate Reality manifests qualities in creation that are dualistic. In Kabbalah (a Jewish mystical tradition)[31], just below the first Sphere (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">sefirah) of divine emanation known as Keter (meaning “crown”, “summit” or “pinnacle”), lie the two roots of masculine and feminine, known as Hokhmah and Binah. Although they are not masculine and feminine, Hokhmah and Binah are the archetypes of the masculine and feminine. Binah is the Kabbalistic feminine symbol for ‘Understanding’, a prelude to wisdom. “Binah, the Great Mother, sometimes also called Marah, the Great Sea, is, of course, the Mother of All Living. She is the archetypal womb through which life comes into manifestation.”[32] The “female” principle within God is personified and called by the name: Shekhinah (literally “dwelling”), a term familiar from classical Rabbinical literature. In the Kabbalah, however, the Shekhinah is not only included as a distinctive principle within the inner divine life, but this distinctive principle is explicitly, and quite graphically, described as female.”[33] The Divine Masculine and the Divine Feminine express two very distinct aspects of Allâh. First, that Allâh is Supreme is the principle of masculinity, and that Allâh is Infinite is the principle of femininity.[34] In the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Qur’an, Allâh reveals Itself by giving Itself ninety-nine names. These names are divided up by Islamic <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Ulama into the names of Majesty (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">jalâl) and the names of Beauty (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">jamâl). The names of Majesty call to mind images of the stern and strict “father”, while the names of Beauty call to mind images of a gentle and loving “mother”. Allâh did not exhaust Itself in creating the world; hence Allâh still exists along with creation. Allâh, in creating the world, is indicative of masculine qualities, such as achievement, strength, dynamism, severity, and rulership. Yet, Allâh is also infinite compared to the finite world. This inconceivably extended aspect of Allâh is the aspect of Allâh that the Sûfî often refers to in ecstatic poetry in the feminine gender. That is why Ibn al-‘Arabî says Allâh can be referred to as both Huwa (He) and Hiya (She). One of the drawbacks of the English language is that we do not give gender to nouns. Arabic, like the Romance languages, expresses words with gender. Many of the essential words regarding Allâh are in the feminine gender in Arabic.[35]In this paper, the author will analyze three of these words: the first is al-Hakîm, the Wise; Wisdom is <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">hikmah. In Arabic to say, for example, “Wisdom is precious,” you could repeat the feminine pronoun: <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">al-hikmah hiya thamînah, literally “Wisdom, she is precious.” It is stated by some Sûfî Sheikhs (Masters) that Sûfîsm originally was named <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Sophia, which connects Sûfîsm with the Christian Gnostic tradition, in which Wisdom is personified as a woman, the divine Sophia. The physical mother of Jesus was an external image of manifestation of the Virgin Sophia, the word “Sophia” stemming from <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Sophos (wisdom). The Gnostics, whose language was Greek, identified the Holy Spirit with Sophia, Wisdom; and Wisdom was considered female. The Virgin was closely associated by the early church with Wisdom, of the cathedral church at Constantinople, while the ascension of the Virgin Mary refers to the passing of Wisdom into Immortality. The litany of the Blessed Virgin contains the prayer, “Seat of Wisdom, pray for us.” Julian of Norwich (1343-1420?), English religious writer, an anchoress, or hermit, called Jesus Christ, the second Person of the Roman Catholic “Holy Trinity”, our Mother in Wisdom, and our Mother of Mercy or Compassion.[36] The latter title with the words “mercy” and “compassion” returns us to a subtle interpretation of the phrase Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim, often translated as “In the name of Allâh the most Beneficent the most Merciful”, but with the added gnosis that God can appear to a human being as the Divine Feminine and that the Divine Feminine is not confined to Christian or Islamic mystical intuitive apprehension of spiritual truths. St. Peter Chrysologos presented the Virgin as the seven-pillared temple which Wisdom had built for herself.”[37] The aforementioned philosopher and Sûfî, ibn al-Arabî, saw a young girl in Makkah surround by light and realized that, for him, she was an incarnation of the divine Sophia.[38]Mary was born of an angelic annunciation; Fatima (the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad) was considered to come from the level of angels. She is considered by many Muslims as divine in origin and several variations of a major <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">hadith describe how she was conceived on the night of <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Mi’râj (ascension). On this night Gabriel took Muhammad to Jerusalem and then to Heaven. While up in Heaven, he was offered some heavenly fruit, the seed of which was responsible for her conception, after the Prophet’s return on the same night and making love to his beloved wife Khadija. Fatima tul Zehra (Fatima the Radiant, Fatima the Brightest Star, Fatima-Star of Venus, Fatima-The Evening Star), the daughter of the Prophet, is the secret in Sûfîsm. She is the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Hujjat of ‘Ali. In other words, she establishes the esoteric sense of his knowledge and guides those who attain to it. Through her perfume, we breathe paradise. Though she was his daughter, the Prophet Muhammad called her <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Um Abi’ha (mother of her father). What mystery was the Prophet hinting at by this statement? While Fatima Zehra was Muhammad’s daughter, the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Rasulallah (Prophet of God – Muhammad) understood that his gnosis was bestowed upon him from the Divine Feminine. Fatima Fatir as representative of Allâh’s <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Jamal, saves humankind from Allâh’s <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Jalal. Esoterically, if it were not for Fatima (Mercy), Allâh would never have sent Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and the <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Qur’an to humanity. The night is the exemplification of our sovereign Fatima, especially the “Night of Destiny” (<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">laylat al-Qadr). Lady Fatima was chosen from all women to be the Mother source of Muhammad’s lineage, the core of the generation of Muhammad. Through her, the progeny of the Prophet multiplies – through a woman.[39] The process of giving birth to the spirit is the feminine principle. That to which has been given birth is the masculine. “This is why, in spiritual transformation and rebirth, only the masculine principle can be born, for the feminine principle is the process itself. Once birth is given to the spirit, this principle remains as Fatima, the Creative Feminine, the Daughter of the Prophet, in a state of potentiality within the spirit reborn.”[40] Shi’as revere the person of Fatima, for she is the mother of the line of inspired <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Im<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">a<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">ms who embodied the divine truth for their generation. As such, Fatima is directly associated with Sophia, the divine wisdom, which gives birth to all knowledge of God. She has thus become another symbolic equivalent of the Great Mother.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of English speaking people think "Allah" sounds strange but that's because they're used to hearing "God" and so we're just talking about different languages and words for the same concept. But "Allah" goes back to Hebrew and Aramaic language and so the word for God in Aramaic is Allaha and in Hebrew "El"...We shouldn't allow language and cultural differences to separate us from understanding.

Hebrew and Arabic are really sister languages and have a lot in common.

For Moslems Arabic is the language of revelation that God chose to use when the Qur'an was revealed.... there have been other languages God has used such as Hebrew and Aramaic.

Early translations of the Qur'an by George Sale and later by Rodwell used "God" rather than Allah because they were for Christian audiences. Sale's translation was used to educate English speaking Christian missionaries.

I think it's very appropriate for Allah to be used in modern translations of Qur'an.

- Art

Upvote 0