• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured "For many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14)

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by redleghunter, Sep 5, 2019.

1. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+547
    Christian
    Married
    Obviously, if he was invited, it was offered.

2. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Chosen by God in this case was not effectual for the man without the garment?

3. renniks

+547
    Christian
    Married
    Exactly. God has a condition for salvation. We have to accept his offer in faith.

4. GingerBeer

GingerBeer Cool and refreshing with a kick!

+1,188
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    He was chosen, that is why he was there. He chose to accept the invitation hence he was chosen. What he failed to do was dress appropriately and for that he was "cast out".

5. inquiring mind

inquiring mind associate with those you can learn from Supporter

+2,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    To me, Matthew 22:14 means many (I would think even all) are invited into God’s plan of salvation and kingdom. Few are chosen because so many will disregard the call themselves as is mentioned in verse 5. The scripture makes it plain that God will choose according to His plan, which involves our sincere decision to repent and accept Jesus as our savior (the wedding clothes). Just showing up is not enough.

6. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Before or after He chooses?

Jesus told His disciples He chose them.

John 15: NASB

16“You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. 17“This I command you, that you love one another.

7. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Many were called, few were chosen. Interesting you would put the chosen among the one who was bound, thrown out where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

8. GingerBeer

+1,188
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Even more interesting that he was invited by the king's servants. He was chosen (passive voice here) by those who gave him an invitation and he was chosen (active voice here) by choosing to turn up. That he did not dress for the occasion as was expected was a fault for which he paid.

9. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

You put our sincerity towards the Gospel call as important to being chosen.

Do you see this sincerity as Holy Spirit inspired?

10. renniks

+547
    Christian
    Married
    The parable is obviously about God choosing the nation of Israel first, but they rejected him, so he invited who ever would come. So, all are invited, but only those who put on the garment of Christ Righteousness are chosen.

11. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The text says a general call was made to all. That is the many were called.

12. GingerBeer

+1,188
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    That is not what the text says. It says nothing about a general call. That's interpretation. What it says, as the lesson of the story, is that "many are called but few are chosen". In the story many were called (invited) and a lesser number turned up which appears to be the thing to which chosen in the "lesson" applies.

13. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,469
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I think I see what you mean. I also think Jesus is calling to ones who are suffering in their sin, even though they might not realize their suffering is because of their sin.

Possibly, you are referring to this >
    What I mean is we are chosen, and the above behavior is a result, not the cause, of being chosen.

14. AlexDTX

AlexDTX Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    My opinion is that all are called, but few choose to answer the call.

15. Hammster

Hammster Buckeye Newshawk Award Winner Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+16,215
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Then should Jesus have said, “Many are called, but few choose”?

16. AlexDTX

+2,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The question is, could the Greek be translated that way? I don't know. I have not examined it. It might.

17. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Is that what is being communicated?

18. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I tend to agree that is what is communicated.

19. redleghunter

+29,521
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sure it does. People were called from the hedges. It was a general invitation to the feast.

20. AlexDTX

+2,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I would have to examine the text in context. However, Peter tells us that God is not willing that any should perish. We also have the two examples of Moses telling the prophet that he wished everyone would prophecize and Jesus telling his disciple that the person speaking in his name is for them not against. Jesus also said, whosoever will. So I judge the text according to the Spirit and character of Christ, who is God in the flesh.