"For many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14)

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how to fundamentally reconcile this. It requires a certain level of doublethink to achieve. If God is both the Creator of people (still) AND is Omniscient, then by simply creating you with full foreknowledge of your salvation (or lack thereof) the ultimate issue of faith and Christianity has been eternally apparent to God, but withheld from man.
This is right up there with how people understand the Trinity on the perplexing meter. With the Trinity concept, I just accept that Jesus is who ‘He’ said he is, however ‘He’ meant it, and whether I can reconcile it in a fundamental way, or not. I’m applying the same reasoning to election. All I know is that I don’t have a definite answer, I chose (or thought I did anyway) to accept Jesus into my heart, and have made other choices (or thought I did anyway), seemingly choosing both wisely and poorly, throughout my life. God putting choices on our shoulders just seems the most logical interpretation to me, but to each their own understanding.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how to fundamentally reconcile this. It requires a certain level of doublethink to achieve. If God is both the Creator of people (still) AND is Omniscient, then by simply creating you with full foreknowledge of your salvation (or lack thereof) the ultimate issue of faith and Christianity has been eternally apparent to God, but withheld from man.

Look at the book of Revelation.... He already knows what all those people will do and choose to believe. He always knows.

But in spite of that. He chooses out from all the souls that He knows will believe in Him for when they are to be born. That is what causes predestination. If God so chose for you? He could have you been predestined to be on the ark with Noah. We are predestined for something else.

For those whom God chose for being alive during the Church age? We who have been predestined for the church age have been chosen IN Christ.

What does that mean? In Christ?

Where was Eve before God revealed her? IN Adam.

After all? We are not called the Bride of Christ without good reason.

And... Like the woman who was still a rib in Adam's side? What we are to be? Is yet to be revealed. For the mean while, we are hid in Him. We are at present "figuratively" one of his ribs.

He is seated in Heaven. Therefore? We are seated with Him in Heaven. Hid IN Him!

Now we can know Him in the Spirit, so we can know this. When the Resurrection comes. Then we will not only know about it. We will BE it!

He would be able to look at us in our resurrection bodies and be able to say...

"Now! This is bone of my bone. And, glorious flesh of my glorious flesh. "

We have been chosen to be placed in Him. God could have chosen some of us to be living during David's reign. We would not have been predestined to be in Christ to be conformed to the likeness of His Son!

Bride of Christ is what we have been predestined for by God, by His sovereign choice. Only those living during the Church age are to be His Bride!

grace and peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure what you mean by this statement, “Not every word is intended to be taken factually, whether they are words from Bible ...” Exactly what parts of God’s communication to us through the Bible do you not consider factual, or not effective in the lives of those who trust in it? The Bible has undergone all forms of scrutiny, contains many fulfilled prophecies that attest to its accuracy, has transformed untold numbers of lives, and countless numbers of people have also recognized God’s communication to them through it... can you say the same of your book?

Quite a few months passed before I reply to your comment. My view was that not all words are to be taken factually, while you think otherwise.

For example, when the Bible says God hardened the Pharoah's heart. It does not mean that He literally did so. The Bible asserted God's sovereignty, to say that He hardened Phaorah's heart was a way of asseting His sovereignty. Pharoah would have hardened his own heart to begin with. I posted a new thread "God did not hearden Pharaoh's heart" whch will also explain that it is not about interpreting Scriptures literally or factually, it is about understanding:

Many Christians wonder whether God caused Pharaoh to stop the Hebrew slaves from leaving Egypt. Puzzled by the words "I shall hardened Pharaoh's heart and he shall not let them go," we debate over this issue. Hopefully, the following will help:

Egypt was the most advanced civilization at that time, and Pharaoh was king, He was commander of a powerful army, with hundreds of thousands of soldiers, cavalry and chariots. Would such a powerful figure listen to Moses? To a person (Moses) standing with only a stuff in his hand, would the authoritarian say, “Ok prophet, I will let your people go as you ask”? Think about it and the answer is obviously no. Why would he listen to a lone ranger?

In fact, an Egyptian pharaoh was considered to be half-god half-human. The Egyptians worshipped other gods, not Jehovah. No doubt the king and his people heard the Hebrews' belief that the God of Jacob would lead them out of slavery one day but without seeing Jehovah's might before, the pharaoh would not believe Moses. Even among the Hebrews, many must have wondered whether God of Jacob was a
just a myth - this was what it would feel like after seven or eight generations were enslaved for almost 400 years.

The Pharaoh eould not afford to let the slaves go unless he had a death wish or wanted to abdicate. There were about 1/4 million Hebrew slaves; they were servants at Egyptian households, they labored at the pyramids and did work that are shunned by the Egyptians. Would the Pharaoh dare to incur his people’s wrath by letting the slaves go? Would be choose to be hated, villified and ridiculed?

Consider these human factors and we will realize that Pharaoh would harden his own heart. So why then did the Bible say God harden his heart?

For all events, the Scriptures would only sum them up in a few words. The Bible doesn't explain situations in detail. It is not trying to be a novel that describe everything. While reading, we have to think about how things happened, what people did, and how they feel. The Scriptures does not delve into how things unfold gradually at ground level. Instead, whatever that happened - layers and layers of human drama and interaction - is just stated in a few words.

And the words of Scriptures assert God’s sovereignty. To say that He hardened Pharaoh is a manner of writing that asserts His sovereignty. The Scripture portrays God as active, as if He causes all things to happen, even if He only allowed them. Such was the way of writing during biblical times. The writers did not distinguish between whether God cause or allow something to happen -- unlike the way we analyzed today. We have to understand their mindset. In Judah and Ephraim, when the Israelites continued to indulge in idolatry, Isaiah lamented, "Why, Lord, do you make us wander from your ways and harden our hearts so we do not revere you? ?" [Isaiah 63:17] However, this does not mean God literally cause then to harden. It is just the way the Hebrews use words as they write Scriptures.

Today, too many of us read words only -- and try to analyze words only. We try to think up many theories to explain tough issues, such as how God hardened Pharaoh's heart. However, we will do better to know that it was simply they write.

Even the tough issue of Judas betrayal can be understood, that it is not God who cause Judas to betray Jesus. It was his own act. However, the timing of the betrayal was managed by the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes what was the wedding garment that the chosen were wearing???

Good Day, Carl

With in the historical context of the royal wedding the wedding attire was provided to the guests by the King. If the King did not provide the garments you were not welcome to the wedding sneaking in was not a thing to be taken lightly.

The King adorned with garments His chosen quests, in order to bring honorable tribute to his Son and His collective royal family.

We are in like manner clothed with Christ's righteousness, provided to us by the Father's hand according to his good pleasure.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Jesus Christ's testimony as a credible expert witness in all matters pertaining to the afterlife; most of the world's responsible souls haven't been making it to safety when they cross over to the other side.

Luke 13:22-24 . . And he went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. Then said one unto him, master, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them: Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Matt 7:13-14 . . Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matt 22:14 . . For many are called, but few are chosen.

Webster's defines "many" as consisting of, or amounting to, a large but indefinite number; while "few" is defined as consisting of, or amounting to, only a small number; viz: relative to many then, few is the lesser. Bear with me while I flesh this out.

According to the US Census Bureau: as of Dec 06, 2019 @ 10:40 am New York Time, the resident population in the United States was approximately 330,099,823 with a death rate of approximately one every 10 seconds; which translates to an average of 8,640 American deaths of all ages, races, and genders during just one 24-hour calendar day.

According to 2009 US Census data; roughly 27.3% of America's daily deaths are under the age of 19, which would indicate that approximately 6,281 of the current daily death rate per 24 hours are adults.

Giving the "many" the benefit of the doubt by limiting their maximum percentage to 51%, would indicate a minimum of 3,203 American adults transferring to perdition every day: which translates to roughly 133 per hour.

That's a very conservative estimate as Christ didn't really specify exact percentages to represent the quantities of "few" and "many". But just think: by the time CBS completes its half hour evening news report, a bare-bones minimum of 67 Americans become new arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld.

Using the ratio of 3,203 condemned souls per 330,099,823 population: computing the number of condemned souls worldwide from a currently estimated global population of 7,615,620,616 people, would suggest something like 73,895 new arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld every 24 hours; which translates to approximately 3,079 global souls every sixty minutes on the clock.

That rate would fill the 51,800 seats of the new Yankee Stadium to capacity in roughly 16 hours and 49 minutes. In other words: if the world's daily number of condemned souls started filing into the stadium at 06:00 am this morning, then by 10:49 pm tonight, the stadium would be full to capacity.

Christmas and New Year are even worse. A study done of 26 years of death certificates shows that coronary fatalities are, on average, 11.9% higher on those days than any other days of the year; with non-heart deaths spiking to 12.2% higher.

Christianity's hell never closes; no, not at all: it's open for business 24/7/365 nonstop and indifferent to global warming, Wall Street crashes, massive layoffs, outsourcing, high school shootings, terrorism, tsunamis, earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, air, water, and soil pollution, freeway pile-ups, brown-outs, threatened species, the price of oil, student debt, GMO, trade deficits, protests, Federal debt, factory recalls, overpopulation, desertification, genocides, revolutions, civil wars, acid rain, road rage, oil spills, conscious decoupling, ISIS, LGBT marriage, blood diamonds, fracking, twerking, and/or Black Friday's receipts.

If Christianity's perception of Jesus Christ and the hereafter is correct; then it's apparent that souls never stop cascading into the abyss in an endless procession like the unbelievable millions of poultry broilers passing annually through Tyson chicken-processing plants on their way to Wendy's, McDonalds, Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Chic-fil-A, KFC, A&W, Arby's, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, et al; and to supermarkets and restaurants all over the USA and wherever else Tyson vends its meats. The slaughtering and the butchering never stop.
_

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Jesus Christ's testimony as a credible expert witness in all matters pertaining to the afterlife; most of the world's responsible souls haven't been making it to safety when they cross over to the other side.

Luke 13:22-24 . . And he went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. Then said one unto him, master, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them: Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Matt 7:13-14 . . Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matt 22:14 . . For many are called, but few are chosen.

Webster's defines "many" as consisting of, or amounting to, a large but indefinite number; while "few" is defined as consisting of, or amounting to, only a small number; viz: relative to many then, few is the lesser. Bear with me while I flesh this out.

According to the US Census Bureau: as of Dec 06, 2019 @ 10:40 am New York Time, the resident population in the United States was approximately 330,099,823 with a death rate of approximately one every 10 seconds; which translates to an average of 8,640 American deaths of all ages, races, and genders during just one 24-hour calendar day.

According to 2009 US Census data; roughly 27.3% of America's daily deaths are under the age of 19, which would indicate that approximately 6,281 of the current daily death rate per 24 hours are adults.

Giving the "many" the benefit of the doubt by limiting their maximum percentage to 51%, would indicate a minimum of 3,203 American adults transferring to perdition every day: which translates to roughly 133 per hour.

That's a very conservative estimate as Christ didn't really specify exact percentages to represent the quantities of "few" and "many". But just think: by the time CBS completes its half hour evening news report, a bare-bones minimum of 67 Americans become new arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld.

Using the ratio of 3,203 condemned souls per 330,099,823 population: computing the number of condemned souls worldwide from a currently estimated global population of 7,615,620,616 people, would suggest something like 73,895 new arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld every 24 hours; which translates to approximately 3,079 global souls every sixty minutes on the clock.

That rate would fill the 51,800 seats of the new Yankee Stadium to capacity in roughly 16 hours and 49 minutes. In other words: if the world's daily number of condemned souls started filing into the stadium at 06:00 am this morning, then by 10:49 pm tonight, the stadium would be full to capacity.

Christmas and New Year are even worse. A study done of 26 years of death certificates shows that coronary fatalities are, on average, 11.9% higher on those days than any other days of the year; with non-heart deaths spiking to 12.2% higher.

Christianity's hell never closes; no, not at all: it's open for business 24/7/365 nonstop and indifferent to global warming, Wall Street crashes, massive layoffs, outsourcing, high school shootings, terrorism, tsunamis, earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, air, water, and soil pollution, freeway pile-ups, brown-outs, threatened species, the price of oil, student debt, GMO, trade deficits, protests, Federal debt, factory recalls, overpopulation, desertification, genocides, revolutions, civil wars, acid rain, road rage, oil spills, conscious decoupling, ISIS, LGBT marriage, blood diamonds, fracking, twerking, and/or Black Friday's receipts.

If Christianity's perception of Jesus Christ and the hereafter is correct; then it's apparent that souls never stop cascading into the abyss in an endless procession like the unbelievable millions of poultry broilers passing annually through Tyson chicken-processing plants on their way to Wendy's, McDonalds, Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Chic-fil-A, KFC, A&W, Arby's, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, et al; and to supermarkets and restaurants all over the USA and wherever else Tyson vends its meats. The slaughtering and the butchering never stop.
_

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting to see how different this parable is in Matthew and Luke. The basic story is the same, but in Matthew it ends with demands for the right response, threats of judgement, and an implication that few pass the test. In Luke most of that is missing. The implication is now that while the original invitees miss the banquet (though the outer darkness is missing), the rest of the world comes in.

While in Luke the people pulled in are the poor and lame (and by implication based on what they are doing, the rejects seem to be rich), the context is likely to be a typical controversy between Jesus and religious leaders. The leaders reject Jesus invitation, so the common people are pulled in. (In Matthew this isn't quite so clear, as he characterizes the people differently. This is consistent with the different emphasis in his ending. Luke's version is generally considered closer to the original.)

It would be ironic indeed to turn this parable into a claim that only a few holy (whether morally or doctrinally) Christians are saved.

There's a certain similarity between this parable and the Wicked Tenants, by the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In biblical times, they won't say that they chose to believe God. Instead they said that God chose them. 2000 years ago, when people were far far less knowledgeable thabn today, when they were farmers who prayed to their gods for good harvest, they had an element of humility towards divine elements -- which we don't have today. It was not only the Jews that felt subservient towards God, even the ancient Persians, Babylonians, Chinese, Egyptians, Mayans etc felt the same as they worshipped different gods.

So even though Scriptures said, ".. He gathered those that He called and chosen..." (Revelation 17:14), dont take it so literally. We need to understand that the Scriptures assert God's sovereignty and was written with element of humility.

Here is more about predestination if people chose:

A reasonably detailed answer is necessary to explain predestination. If you merely gloss over the following , you will not grasp the significant points.

Predestination is mentioned in the letters of Ephesians, Romans and Peter. In biblical CONTEXT, predestination means that God had predestined or preplanned to offer redemption to the Jews first, and then the Gentiles - which means everyone. Note that i am NOT saying everyone is saved, but instead, everyone is now being offered redemption --- CONDITIONAL upon repentence (in the context of Scriptures).

The most detailed explanation of predestination is in Ephesians 1, 2 & 3 (SEVENTY verses). Too many people focus on the words "He predestine us" (Eph 1:12) only and start thinking of individual predestination. However we really need to understand 70 verses to see Paul explained how God had chose the Jews first, and then also offer redemption to the Gentiles - and all these were preplanned by Him from very early on, even before the foundation of the earth.

Ephesians was written to Gentile Christians. The 3 chapters are paraphrased here, and the entire 70 verses is in the next post (so that people won't say I am cherry picking verses)

[Eph 1:4-13] just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world ... having been predestined according to the plan of him …. (1:12) in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, ...(1:13).

Here, who did Paul mean by "we" and "us"? He was referring to the Jews. We know that God chose Abraham and his descendents first: Israel was the chosen nation, the Jews were chosen people. Paul, writing as a Jew, used the word "we" and "us" as he identified with the Jews.

Then, from Ephesians 2:13, the apostle used the adverb "you" and "you who were Gentiles" as he referred to them.

(Ephesians 2) And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth …... Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and “uncircumcised ….. excluded from Israel… (Eph 2:13) ..... For He... has made the two groups one... His purpose was... in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross… (3:18).... through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ."

(The entire 3 chapters, with same verses highlighted in bold, is in next post.)

Used to be that Gentiles did not have access to Jehovah. Considered unclean, they were shunned by Jews. We don't feel it today, but back then, Jews and Gentiles won't eat at same table or go to each others houses. After Christ’s atonement, however, both Jews and Gentiles now have access to God. This offer of redemption has been pre-planned or predestined by God. Predestination means to pre-plan something: More important is what did God plan for? In biblical context, God preplanned or predestined to redeem theJews first, and then the Gentiles.

Why did Paul address Gentile believers as 'the Elect' (Eph 1)? Israel was the first chosen people of God. After Christ's atonement, the apostles initially thought that God chose to save the Jews only. After Peter's vision, however, the Gentiles were allowed to believe too. But as more Gentile Christians outnumbered Jewish believers, the Jews resented it and insisted that Gentiles should observe Sabbath and circumcision. Jews also claimed that God had just suddenly decided to offer redemption to the Gentiles after most Jews would not believe Jesus, implying that Gentiles were actually less favored. Refuting such allegation, Paul said that God does not show favoritism between the circumcised and uncircumcised [Galatians 2:6].

By refering to Gentiles as the Elect [Eph 1], Paul was placing them on equal footing as the Jews. Now, Gentiles are also chosen, thats what Paul implied. Elect or chosen is a status, it does not mean being chosen to be saved individually.

In the beginning -- before the foundation of earth -- God chose the Jews. The words, 'Before the foundation of the earth" acknowledge the Jews ancient heritage but it really means "initially" or 'way, way back, long time ago'.

By paying attention to context, we see that 'He predestine us' means God preplanned Israel n Jews to be His chosen people, not selecting individuals. And 'you are also predestined' and 'you who are Gentiles and uncircumcissd' (2:13) refer to how He had also planned to offer redemptive to the Gentiles.

At that time, Peter, Paul anf surely all apostles and Christians would have the same view of predestination. Ephesians offer the most detailed explanation. and in other Letters, the few verses regarding predestination and chosen should be read with the same concept as Ephesians 1,2 3.That is how Scriptures should interpret Scriptures: Passages and verses in different Letters are related.

In Romans 9:11, God said He loves Jacob and hate Esau. God was referring to these 2 persons only, specifically, so how does this verse become a blanket statement to cast everyone else as chosen or otherwise ??? Seriously, i just don't see the connection.

In Romans, Paul as a Jew saluted Israel's heritage, but he went on to say the new order of Christ is here, things have changed. He was being nice and firm at the same time: He acknowledged his fellow citizens' rich traditions but say it was time to change, don't live in the past only, do turn to Christ.

Romans 9:18-23: Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will hardeneth .... " Paul said that God could choose to have mercy on Gentiles. It does NOT mean that God had mercy and chose some particular individuals.

Romans 8:29 : "For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son... He who predestined, He also justifies" means that God foreknew would also justified the Gentiles (if they accept His offer of redemption which He knew ahead that He would offer to them). If we appreciate that the Gentiles were considered uncleaned before, we will understand the depth of what it means to be now justified through faith in Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

iLove

Jan 3, 2013
✟28,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scripture says in Revelation 17:14 at the second coming these words, "...: and they who are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

The called - is every Believer saved by the Blood of the Lamb
The chosen - for a particular task and purpose
The faithful - being faithful to the task I have been called and chosen by the Lord to do.

The called, and chosen, and faithful

Upvote 0