For History Buffs...

Q

Quoth

What period of history interests you the most?

Please provide (to satiate the Skellington's curiosity):

The country, the era (years, centuries, etc.), and the reasons why this particular portion of the world and that time piques your interest the most.

I'm going to be the first to cheat and say "World History", as I understood it from a 10th grade standpoint: all history outside of U.S. history. Specifically, I am most interested in the medieval cultures, of knights and lords and ladies and kings and wars and conquests and castles and all of the codes of conduct and honor.

A very close second is ancient Asian history, specifically the ancient traditions and lifestyle of bushido (samurai).

Bitnd12

Children, get your hearts right.
Apr 3, 2008
New York
Visit site
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, it's so hard to narrow it down!

I'll say European history from 1930 to 1950 (Just pre and post the second world war) because if there never was a war, I wouldn't be alive. Part of my family was in Germany during this time and my great grandfather was in the Wehrmacht on the Eastern front, actually. On the other side of my family, second generation Italians were serving in the American Army and Navy. I am the product of several levels of enemies marrying, and the ties to the war that my heritage involves absolutely fascinate me.

Um, and I'd then have to say Islam (yeah, I know it's not a time period!), it's ties to terrorism AND modern/current events.

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Hello, I'm Ernest P. Worrell
Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What period of history interests you the most?

Please provide (to satiate the Skellington's curiosity):

The country, the era (years, centuries, etc.), and the reasons why this particular portion of the world and that time piques your interest the most.

I'm going to be the first to cheat and say "World History", as I understood it from a 10th grade standpoint: all history outside of U.S. history. Specifically, I am most interested in the medieval cultures, of knights and lords and ladies and kings and wars and conquests and castles and all of the codes of conduct and honor.

A very close second is ancient Asian history, specifically the ancient traditions and lifestyle of bushido (samurai).

Shawnee, Ancient Greek, and Ancient Asian history.
I'd gladly talk about these things with anybody that wants to. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MilitantSheep

Mar 16, 2008
✟7,975.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome (well I did do Classics in university...), and as a child I had an obsession with Ancient Egypt as well.

But my absolute favourite is 1485 to 1603. Oh yes, THE TUDORS! I love it, love it love it. Everything. Even the politics (and politics of any period, even now, bores the pants off me). I quite like other European countries at around the same time as well, but more later on really. Louis XIV (France) and Peter the Great (Russia) particularly. I like the early Stuarts too, James I through to Charles II.

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ooo I love history.

I would say my absolute favorite would have to be American history, from oh I'd say 1500s to 1880s or 1890s. I suppose it has just always fascinated me to learn about how our country started.

I also enjoy reading about Marie Antoinette (pre-revolution France), and the Tudors.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another vote for Ancient Asian history, mainly concerning the Chinese dynasties and pre-feudal Japan (or at least, Japan before the systematizing of the samurai). Although you can also include Indian (that's India) history as well. I honestly don't know too much about it, but the time periods and situations that led to building all of those ornate temples across South Asia is fascinating to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

adey1986

Sep 20, 2006
Shrewsbury & Wrexham
✟15,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm most interested in the Tudor and Stuart reigns, particularly the religious and political upheavals happening at the time. Also like reading about WW1. I am in my final year of an English and History degree and one of my current modules is on the English Civil War, so currently i'm also interested in how people reacted to the threat of Civil War and how according to Christopher Hill the world was turned upside down

Upvote 0

onfireinfredricton

Apr 11, 2004
fredericton,nb
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
From the reformation on, mostly the west like europe, and north america. I am really starting to get into the 20th century up until 1975. Then it kind of seems like I could just ask someone down the street. I just think it is interesting to see how far we have come and how much faster things are changing everyday.

Upvote 0

AFallingStar

Moonlight breaks the chains...
Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟26,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm fascinated by the Enlightenment period (around the 18th century in Europe). There were so many interesting developments in philosophy and politics. Plus it coincides with my favorite musical period, classical. I would love to go back in time to 18th century Europe. :)

Upvote 0

ModestGirlsRock

World Changer
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Latin American Political and Social Culture: 18th century-present

Russia: From the Tsar to the ending of USSR...well, I do wonder about their current situation too.

Africa: Everything.

I love being in AP World. It really piques my interest to see how everything is so interrelated and how major events tend to parallel each other in different countries.

Upvote 0