For anyone that thinks we don't have anything in common with other primates...

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I disagree 100% my friend.

God DOES exist.

God bless you
Unfortunately you only believe that. People that are afraid to test their beliefs usually do not do so because they do not want to know the truth. They only want to believe. I would rather know the truth.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately you only believe that. People that are afraid to test their beliefs usually do not do so because they do not want to know the truth. They only want to believe. I would rather know the truth.

The truth is that God is very much real. Why would i want to test God, or, my belief in God?

For me, 'proof' is all around us. In us. In the world we live in. In the Word of God. In His Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. In His Apostles. In all the martyrs who have died for their love if God...

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The truth is that God is very much real. Why would i want to test God, or, my belief in God?

For me, 'proof' is all around us. In us. In the world we live in. In the Word of God. In His Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. In His Apostles. In all the martyrs who have died for their love if God...
I never suggested that you test God. Your beliefs are another matter. You have no way of knowing if your beliefs are correct or not. I can show you where you clearly are wrong, but you do not want to learn. That is called denial.

Worse yet, as a Christian many of your beliefs appear to be blasphemous.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I never suggested that you test God. Your beliefs are another matter. You have no way of knowing if your beliefs are correct or not. I can show you where you clearly are wrong, but you do not want to learn. That is called denial.

Worse yet, as a Christian many of your beliefs appear to be blasphemous.

Blasphemous? How?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So apparently I just received another warning for posting about getting a warning to caution another poster about things that result in warnings.

And yes I'm deliberately posting this because apparently another warning will result in a ban, and I honestly don't give a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].
I share @Tinker Grey 's concern. I value your presence here. I do find it regretable that you were penalised for reminding all members what might generate a warning. I can't figure out why moderators would not welcome that, since it would tend to discourage others making the same error.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I share @Tinker Grey 's concern. I value your presence here. I do find it regretable that you were penalised for reminding all members what might generate a warning. I can't figure out why moderators would not welcome that, since it would tend to discourage others making the same error.
Yes, it's weird. I was warned once for quoting Churchill...

Thing is, AIUI, we're not supposed to discuss moderation (will that get a warning?).

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, it's weird. I was warned once for quoting Churchill...

Thing is, AIUI, we're not supposed to discuss moderation (will that get a warning?).
I think the restriction is on discussing moderation of CF. I can't imagine discussing the concept of moderation, not - for example - in relation to forums would come under any constraint.

Thus, in this thread, where we are comparing/contrasting humans and non-human primates it would be interesting to consider whether there are moderator roles in group behaviour among say chimpanzees. Certainly, such reading as I have done on primate behaviour identifies moderator roles, though they are not necessarily described as such. I am curous to what extent the behaviour in these roles might differ from human behaviour, or from that of other primate species. A chimp-bonobo comparison would be informative, I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I think the restriction is on discussing moderation of CF.
That's what I meant.

I can't imagine discussing the concept of moderation, not - for example - in relation to forums would come under any constraint.
Hmm... what about excess? ;)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It was the entire trinity including Jesus.
It is very open to interpretation. In John Jesus tends to imply that he is God or one with him. In the other three he emphasizes that he is not God. There are still Christians today that deny the trinity. Though I do think that it is the official "Christianity" of this forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No, we are primates. And mammals. And vertebrates. Not made from dust of the ground.
I have to disagree with you on the last point and go with Carl Sagan. We are all made of star dust, forged in the heart of supernovae. :)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have to disagree with you on the last point and go with Carl Sagan. We are all made of star dust, forged in the heart of supernovae. :)
Yep, the difference between creationists and those willing to accept reality is that one believes in magic and the other does not. They both believe that man came from "dust".

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Yep, the difference between creationists and those willing to accept reality is that one believes in magic and the other does not. They both believe that man came from "dust".
I tend to feel that describing those beliefs as magic is . . . I'm struggling for a word here . . . overkill, discourteous, lacking empathy.

I'm somewhat in awe of the origin tales that humans have generated as we grew from families, to small groups, to tribes, to peoples, to nations. I think of the Australian aborigines who have continuity of thought with their ancestors that may go back as much as 50,000 years. Or the diversity of stories among native Americans. Or, well the list isn't endless, but it is impressive in its richness and its underlying passion to understand and to explain.

Calling any such suite of beliefs, or the ritual and scripture that derives from them, magic, reduces them to the level of a cheap conjuring trick and I think they are more valuable, potent and meaningful than that. As an analogy, War and Peace is a work of fiction, but it is still true.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I tend to feel that describing those beliefs as magic is . . . I'm struggling for a word here . . . overkill, discourteous, lacking empathy.

I'm somewhat in awe of the origin tales that humans have generated as we grew from families, to small groups, to tribes, to peoples, to nations. I think of the Australian aborigines who have continuity of thought with their ancestors that may go back as much as 50,000 years. Or the diversity of stories among native Americans. Or, well the list isn't endless, but it is impressive in its richness and its underlying passion to understand and to explain.

Calling any such suite of beliefs, or the ritual and scripture that derives from them, magic, reduces them to the level of a cheap conjuring trick and I think they are more valuable, potent and meaningful than that. As an analogy, War and Peace is a work of fiction, but it is still true.

Sadly ID believers tend to change their version of God into a cheap conjurer. He has to continually interfere with life to get it to change over the billions of years of life's existence to get it to today's state. I think that a God that could design the Earth so that life would evolve naturally is much more impressive. A one and done instead of constant, "Oops, I need to nudge this gene here" that ID followers seem to think happened.

Upvote 0